• Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8162 posts
1801 upvotes
Ontario
clseea wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 5:13 am
If she's trying to develop the business and her time is dedicated to doing so, she's not actively looking for insurable employment.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/f ... -003)e.pdf
But the intent is to do this on spare time, not as the primary source.
She will actively search for employment, is willing to accept employment, able, etc
From what I understand, just having a business, side business, etc does not necessarily mean you are self-employed in their eyes.
And she's not.

So I wouldn't know how to fill out that kind of form.
Because if you say no to self employed, they ask for your employer info. But she is laid off.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
jccsmith wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 2:41 pm
Hi,

Hoping you might be able to answer a question about maternity EI benefits. My last day of work was April 11th, and I submitted my EI claim that day. My employer also submitted my ROE on April 11th, but forgot to pay out my vacation (I cannot carry it forward). They then resubmitted a new ROE on April 15th showing my vacation payout, and I was paid that amount on April 26th (the next usual pay period).

I assumed my EI start date would be April 15th (as that is the start date of my maternity leave from work), but EI has my claim date starting April 21st. Do you know why this is?

Also, has my two week waiting period inadvertently been extended to three weeks (or longer?) because my employer forgot to pay out my vacation?

Thanks
You got paid vacation, so your claim start date gets delayed. If you have any money in your waiting period, it basically gets extended since you can't have any money in it. The waiting period needs to be a 2 week unpaid period
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
onlineharvest wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 3:00 pm
But the intent is to do this on spare time, not as the primary source.
She will actively search for employment, is willing to accept employment, able, etc
From what I understand, just having a business, side business, etc does not necessarily mean you are self-employed in their eyes.
And she's not.

So I wouldn't know how to fill out that kind of form.
Because if you say no to self employed, they ask for your employer info. But she is laid off.
Get her to call in and fill out the form with a CSO. She'll be able to explain the situation so a decision can be made. If she's not dedicating much time to it and it's not operational, there won't be a problem.
May 2, 2013
2 posts
BURNABY
clseea wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 4:36 pm
You got paid vacation, so your claim start date gets delayed. If you have any money in your waiting period, it basically gets extended since you can't have any money in it. The waiting period needs to be a 2 week unpaid period
Thanks. Will my total maternity/parental benefit period be extended by a week so that I still receive 2 weeks waiting period + 50 weeks benefits, or is it reduced to 49 benefit weeks?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
jccsmith wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 4:43 pm
Thanks. Will my total maternity/parental benefit period be extended by a week so that I still receive 2 weeks waiting period + 50 weeks benefits, or is it reduced to 49 benefit weeks?
You'll get an extension, but you can only collect until the baby's first birthday regardless.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
Question about maternity... my good friend had a baby, she's around 8 months now. She (my friend not the baby haha) was offered a full-time job... so she stopped her mat leave, went to her training week... and on her 2nd day was told she was being dropped from full-time 40 hours a week to part-time 1 day a week cover, 4-5 hours.

Of course she tried to get her mat leave back... but was told once it's cancelled, it is cancelled.

Needless to say she's freaking out especially it was just the first of the month. Being childless myself, I have no clue - is this true?!
Feb 14, 2009
117 posts
1 upvote
toronto
Hi,
I am going to receive severance from my company which closed its doors. I am currently receiving e.i. because we had a temporary lay off and never called back. If I put all my severance into an rrsp do I still claim that as income and then have to wait for these monies to bne exhausted before I can collect e.i. again or do they not consider it income and my e.i. will not stop?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9827 posts
3773 upvotes
Calgary
a084596 wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 10:02 pm
Hi,
I am going to receive severance from my company which closed its doors. I am currently receiving e.i. because we had a temporary lay off and never called back. If I put all my severance into an rrsp do I still claim that as income and then have to wait for these monies to bne exhausted before I can collect e.i. again or do they not consider it income and my e.i. will not stop?
It will be allocated whether you choose to receive it as cash or deposit it into RRSP. You will be without benefits during the allocation period.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 10:28 pm
It will be allocated whether you choose to receive it as cash or deposit it into RRSP. You will be without benefits during the allocation period.
I think if it's transferred into a locked in RRSP/LIRA it doesn't get allocated until after the lock in period is over. The employee can't touch the funds in a locked in account.... But I'm not 100% sure on that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
cm99camper wrote:
May 3rd, 2013 9:32 pm
Question about maternity... my good friend had a baby, she's around 8 months now. She (my friend not the baby haha) was offered a full-time job... so she stopped her mat leave, went to her training week... and on her 2nd day was told she was being dropped from full-time 40 hours a week to part-time 1 day a week cover, 4-5 hours.

Of course she tried to get her mat leave back... but was told once it's cancelled, it is cancelled.

Needless to say she's freaking out especially it was just the first of the month. Being childless myself, I have no clue - is this true?!
No that isn't true.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2522 posts
752 upvotes
Da boot
Sorry if this is already answered, but can you do online courses and still maintain EI? You are technically still available for work in the day with online learning. Also can you stay on EI to do a 1 year diploma program?

Sorry if its already asked.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6230 posts
1388 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
There is a provincial election underway in BC with Election Day on May 14. I have an active EI claim, but I have been working for two weeks and declaring my earnings. I may be laid off again next week.

If I get laid off, am I prohibited from doing any kind of volunteer election activities, like putting up candiate's signs, making phone calls, etc. because that would be considered "volunteer work"? Or is there some kind of "override" for election activities? Given the timing it old be only for a few days if it happened.
May 4, 2013
4 posts
Hello guys,

Here is my situation. kinda complex. but I will try to make it as brief as possible.

So, I and my wife only have one child. He is now moving to another province for university.

We are considering to move to get EI, since our income is too low to hold to households. Economically, we are unable to raise him if he stay on campus. Just imagine all the living cost and tuition stuff. For sure, my child can get student loan, but still thats not enough. Also, this is our only child, we dont want to be unable to see him for like five years... and, there are more working opportunities for me in that city, and usually the wage is higher.

So, we are kinda worried. if I quit the job with no EI, the situation would even be worse. If i stay here and let my child go, we would be unable to support him and ourselves in the next five years.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? any help and advise are greatly appreciated.

thx in advance
Sep 29, 2009
500 posts
98 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
May 5th, 2013 1:42 pm
There is a provincial election underway in BC with Election Day on May 14. I have an active EI claim, but I have been working for two weeks and declaring my earnings. I may be laid off again next week.

If I get laid off, am I prohibited from doing any kind of volunteer election activities, like putting up candiate's signs, making phone calls, etc. because that would be considered "volunteer work"? Or is there some kind of "override" for election activities? Given the timing it old be only for a few days if it happened.
I asked a similar question upthread. The answer:
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 2:09 pm
3) If it's under 10 hours a week and it is unpaid, and does not place any restriction on your availability, I wouldn't bother reporting it. If you declare you were working, yet enter the earning amount as "0", your claim may be put on hold for weeks, or months, until it is all sorted out. A big fuss for nothing.