• Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
ph00p wrote:
May 5th, 2013 1:15 pm
Sorry if this is already answered, but can you do online courses and still maintain EI? You are technically still available for work in the day with online learning. Also can you stay on EI to do a 1 year diploma program?

Sorry if its already asked.
If it's online based, as long the course does not not affect your availability for full time job, you should be fine.
When you do your reports, just declare your training is taking less than 10 hours a week.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
MexiCanuck wrote:
May 5th, 2013 1:42 pm
There is a provincial election underway in BC with Election Day on May 14. I have an active EI claim, but I have been working for two weeks and declaring my earnings. I may be laid off again next week.

If I get laid off, am I prohibited from doing any kind of volunteer election activities, like putting up candiate's signs, making phone calls, etc. because that would be considered "volunteer work"? Or is there some kind of "override" for election activities? Given the timing it old be only for a few days if it happened.
The only question is, does this "volunteer" activity affect your availability for accepting a full time position? If you are not actively looking for work, and can't accept a ft job during those days, then you are considered unavailable for those few days.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:55 pm
I asked a similar question upthread. The answer:
The difference between the examples is that volunteer for elections tend to eat a lot more than than regular volunteering. From the information, it seems MexiCanuck will spend more than 10 hours a week on this.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
Jerry59 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:49 pm
Hello guys,

Here is my situation. kinda complex. but I will try to make it as brief as possible.

So, I and my wife only have one child. He is now moving to another province for university.

We are considering to move to get EI, since our income is too low to hold to households. Economically, we are unable to raise him if he stay on campus. Just imagine all the living cost and tuition stuff. For sure, my child can get student loan, but still thats not enough. Also, this is our only child, we dont want to be unable to see him for like five years... and, there are more working opportunities for me in that city, and usually the wage is higher.

So, we are kinda worried. if I quit the job with no EI, the situation would even be worse. If i stay here and let my child go, we would be unable to support him and ourselves in the next five years.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? any help and advise are greatly appreciated.

thx in advance
Under EI, once a child has reached the age of 18, he/she is no longer considered as a dependent.
How old is your child? It makes a lot of difference in whether you can get EI or not.

Have you applied jobs to that city? If not, why not.
Is that city happened to be Calgary or Edmonton :razz: ?
May 4, 2013
4 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:09 pm
Under EI, once a child has reached the age of 18, he/she is no longer considered as a dependent.
How old is your child? It makes a lot of difference in whether you can get EI or not.

Have you applied jobs to that city? If not, why not.
Is that city happened to be Calgary or Edmonton :razz: ?
umm, my child is 19, but I have did some research on this, and I found out that for children whose age are between 19 and 24, as long as the child is still a full time student, he is still dependent. So, I think my child is dependent. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I have already applied for several jobs in that city. But what the employees tell me is that they do want me, but not until september.

The city is Waterloo. so pretty far away from Calgary
Thank you for your reply.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
Jerry59 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:13 pm
umm, my child is 19, but I have did some research on this, and I found out that for children whose age are between 19 and 24, as long as the child is still a full time student, he is still dependent. So, I think my child is dependent. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, I have already applied for several jobs in that city. But what the employees tell me is that they do want me, but not until september.

The city is Waterloo. so pretty far away from Calgary
Thank you for your reply.
So if they employer wants you in September, why not accept the job offer and move to Waterloo at the end of August?

There is a lot of changes in EI/UI, but nowadays a dependent is those who are under 18. So now, quit to accompany a dependent probably has a lower likelihood to be approved than say if your kid is 17 years old.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
May 4, 2013
4 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:18 pm
So if they employer wants you in September, why not accept the job offer and move to Waterloo at the end of August?

There is a lot of changes in EI/UI, but nowadays a dependent is those who are under 18. So now, quit to accompany a dependent probably has a lower likelihood to be approved than say if your kid is 17 years old.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

ok, I definitely want to accept the offer when I am in Waterloo, but the thing is that, they are saying they want me, but there is no guarantee. they told me that they have to see how well I do my job before giving me offer. (OK, im a cook, so they want to see how well I cook before guarantee me)
and here is link on definition of dependent child. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/un ... neurs.aspx
thx.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
Jerry59 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:21 pm
ok, I definitely want to accept the offer when I am in Waterloo, but the thing is that, they are saying they want me, but there is no guarantee. they told me that they have to see how well I do my job before giving me offer. (OK, im a cook, so they want to see how well I cook before guarantee me)
and here is link on definition of dependent child. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/un ... neurs.aspx
thx.
That's understandable. As for the link, it's for Visa to Canada. Under EI there is a different definition. Under CRA probably it's another definition.
May 4, 2013
4 posts
I didnt find any exact definition of dependent child under EI. Where would you think can I find the definition?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2404 posts
852 upvotes
I'm going to work a part time, seasonal job. 20 weeks, 2 days a week, so 280 hours I think. (I have been self employed up til now but that is winding up, so have no other 'insurable earnings')

Am I right in saying:

1. EI will be deducted by my employer
2. There is no way I can ever claim on EI as I wouldn't have enough hours
3. Basically in this case I cannot gain a benefit from paying this 'insurance'?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
Jerry59 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:49 pm
Hello guys,

Here is my situation. kinda complex. but I will try to make it as brief as possible.

So, I and my wife only have one child. He is now moving to another province for university.

We are considering to move to get EI, since our income is too low to hold to households. Economically, we are unable to raise him if he stay on campus. Just imagine all the living cost and tuition stuff. For sure, my child can get student loan, but still thats not enough. Also, this is our only child, we dont want to be unable to see him for like five years... and, there are more working opportunities for me in that city, and usually the wage is higher.

So, we are kinda worried. if I quit the job with no EI, the situation would even be worse. If i stay here and let my child go, we would be unable to support him and ourselves in the next five years.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? any help and advise are greatly appreciated.

thx in advance
Your income is too low, so your solution is to quit your job, move, support your kid while he goes to university and collect EI? Seems just a wee bit counter productive.

Regardless, the obligation to move to accompany a dependant child (which yours wouldn't qualify as anyways) is almost exclusively meant for health or medical things, not because you're making the personal choice to move with them. It's his choice to go to school, it's his choice to move, it's his choice to stay on campus. It would be your choice to move, not an obligation. You don't want to not be able to see him for like five years.... That's not EI's concern.

I've seen no jurisprudence that would support your side of the argument. Obviously you can quit and apply for EI, but I see absolutely no legitimacy to your side.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
daverobev wrote:
May 5th, 2013 6:22 pm
I'm going to work a part time, seasonal job. 20 weeks, 2 days a week, so 280 hours I think. (I have been self employed up til now but that is winding up, so have no other 'insurable earnings')

Am I right in saying:

1. EI will be deducted by my employer
2. There is no way I can ever claim on EI as I wouldn't have enough hours
3. Basically in this case I cannot gain a benefit from paying this 'insurance'?

Thanks!
1. They should
2. Not from that amount of hours alone
3. You need to accumulate enough hours first
May 4, 2013
25 posts
I have a question to ask.

I am on EI at the moment and I found a part time job that it is not working for me at all. Its a position that I have deal with a lot of people and I am not a people person. It as only been 2 weeks.
Can I leave that job and not loose my EI that I have been getting for the 3 months? I know you can still get your EI while finding a job but if you do find a seasonal job and turn out it is NOT what you want and just wondering that when I report them which is due soon, they will cut me off saying well you found a part time job and you left then you loose your EI.

Anyone know about this? only been 2 weeks and got my first paycheck last week. And I will report in my report that I have found a job also. Thank you for your input.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9824 posts
3768 upvotes
Calgary
Moonwolf wrote:
May 5th, 2013 6:47 pm
I have a question to ask.

I am on EI at the moment and I found a part time job that it is not working for me at all. Its a position that I have deal with a lot of people and I am not a people person. It as only been 2 weeks.
Can I leave that job and not loose my EI that I have been getting for the 3 months? I know you can still get your EI while finding a job but if you do find a seasonal job and turn out it is NOT what you want and just wondering that when I report them which is due soon, they will cut me off saying well you found a part time job and you left then you loose your EI.

Anyone know about this? only been 2 weeks and got my first paycheck last week. And I will report in my report that I have found a job also. Thank you for your input.
1) EI is suspended only when you find a full time job, not a part time job. Why would EI cut anyone off when they are working only part time hours?
2) Any time you quit a job, you have to show just cause. Just because you are not a people person does not mean it is just cause. If you quit this job without just cause, your whole claim is disqualified.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6225 posts
1384 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
b166er1337 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 3:01 pm
The difference between the examples is that volunteer for elections tend to eat a lot more than than regular volunteering. From the information, it seems MexiCanuck will spend more than 10 hours a week on this.
Yes, the time would be more than 10 hours in a week, but it would be for two or three days during one week only. When I get work, its typically scheduled a week or more in advance, so I am pretty confident now that I would not be getting work during the week of May 13. In addition, I would have my mobile phone with me so that if the employer wanted me, they could contact me at any time and I could immediately drop whatever I was doing and report for work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

adamjohny