Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 12:11 pm
Mar 10, 2007
153 posts
Just wanted to check at what point does EI stop getting paid out, when you accept an offer or when you actually start working?

If I start in middle of a reporting week, how do I inform them about the change in my situation?

I appreciate all the good work you are doing here, has really been extremely helpful understanding the system!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
raj1008 wrote:
May 13th, 2013 11:32 am
Just wanted to check at what point does EI stop getting paid out, when you accept an offer or when you actually start working?

If I start in middle of a reporting week, how do I inform them about the change in my situation?

I appreciate all the good work you are doing here, has really been extremely helpful understanding the system!
The claim will suspend the day you start your full time job. In your next report, you can specify which day you started working.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
clseea wrote:
May 13th, 2013 1:44 am
I don't really understand why you're trying to ride the line so tightly. Apply for the job and stop trying to play the system down to every last detail. Who cares if it's 75% or 80%? It gets you off EI and back into the workforce. You'll be able to apply for internal jobs and avoid an even bigger gap on your resume. Plus you'll get benefits... Not to mention you can stop being paranoid about every little detail. Self selecting out of the application process does you no good at this point. I'm beginning to sense you're either really afraid of re-entering the workforce, or you're being super picky until your dream job comes along. Regardless, 75% is better than 55%
Or they want to ride the EI system and are making sure they have a reasoning when they get questioned as to why. Or they don't realize the non-cash benefits.

I went months without even being hired at the GROCERY STORE. It's not always the $. It's the possibility of promotions, it's perks and benefits, it's networking.

Even if the physical pay is less or close, those other things count for more.
Oct 2, 2012
55 posts
1 upvote
UCLUELET
queerasmoi wrote:
May 13th, 2013 1:57 am
What it comes down to is, if it's a lousy job in a lousy workplace that all of my peers agree is the last place they would want to work... if there is an identifiable reason I am not obligated to apply, I don't want to apply.

I've only been out of a job two weeks. I would prefer to do better than my last employer. Believe me, my standards are still pretty damn low but I was already earning a good 20% less than what others with my education and experience are making.
That's called a ***** economy. It sucks unfortunately. A lot of people are in that place.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8671 posts
1528 upvotes
Edmonton
cm99camper wrote:
May 13th, 2013 9:54 pm
Or they want to ride the EI system and are making sure they have a reasoning when they get questioned as to why. Or they don't realize the non-cash benefits.

I went months without even being hired at the GROCERY STORE. It's not always the $. It's the possibility of promotions, it's perks and benefits, it's networking.

Even if the physical pay is less or close, those other things count for more.
Agreed
May 9, 2013
2 posts
I did not receive a response so I will ask again

When I start receiving sick benefits for 11 weeks, am I responsible to do the weekly report on the phone? If yes what should I say on the phone?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2003
2109 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
May 7th, 2013 6:23 pm
1) does she have enough hour?
2) if yes, does she have just cause? (probably not)
1. Yes, she works full time
2. Not sure what you mean by that?
Apr 9, 2013
14 posts
hello, i just have a few questions i applied for EI on about march 12 it has been over the 28 days limit but is there any concerns if i am related to the employer? does the process take longer or may not even happen for that matter?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
snowpuppy19 wrote:
May 14th, 2013 6:45 am
I did not receive a response so I will ask again

When I start receiving sick benefits for 11 weeks, am I responsible to do the weekly report on the phone? If yes what should I say on the phone?
Why not do the report online?

As for the questions, they will ask you whether you have any earnings, whether you are out of Canada, and whether you are otherwise available for work had it not been for your illness.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
prince15prince wrote:
May 14th, 2013 2:03 pm
hello, i just have a few questions i applied for EI on about march 12 it has been over the 28 days limit but is there any concerns if i am related to the employer? does the process take longer or may not even happen for that matter?
It will be adjudicated. That's why it's longer. But anyway, 2 month processing time is NOT acceptable. Complain to your MP asap.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
babysham wrote:
May 7th, 2013 6:19 pm
Can a mother apply for EI after her 1 year maternity leave is over and she quits her job because her income wouldn't be enough to cover daycare expenses for the child?
babysham wrote:
May 14th, 2013 12:39 pm
1. Yes, she works full time
2. Not sure what you mean by that?
1) How many hours does she have since returning to workforce?
2) If her income is not sufficient to cover childcare expense, how does quitting a job (and therefore earn $0) will improve her financial situation? If she really can not afford childcare, and she has to quit to take care the child herself, then it can be considered just cause, but

3) to qualify for regular benefits, she has to be available and actively looking for work. When she is taking care the child, she is not available for full time work. Yes she will qualify for EI, but she will be dis-entitled due to unavailability. The moment she finds proper childcare arrangement, then her ability issue is resolved, and she can start receiving regular EI benefits.
May 13, 2013
1 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2011 3:20 pm
You have a lot of excellent questions, let's go over your example, assuming you apply on time and the last day of work is Sep 30, 2011.

Your BPC (Benefit Period Commencement) will be the week of Oct 2, 2011. Your severance pay will be allocated until Jan 28, 2012. That means, no matter what you do during the allocation period, NO benefit will be paybale. As such, you don't have to file your claimant's reports (but do remember to reapply toward the end of the allocation). You do not have to prove your availability, therefore you can travel all you want. Your benefit period is accordingly extended for four months (in this particular case, the BP will be from week of Oct 2, 2011 to Jan 27, 2013).

Your benefits will be payable as of the week of Jan 29, 2012. The first two weeks are waiting period, you have the subsequent 50 weeks to collect your entitlement. I believe the current maximum entitlement in GTA is 44 weeks.

The benefit period can be extended up to 52 weeks. So for someone who lost their job while receiving 2 year worth of severance pay, they are out of luck as the allocation will run the entire benefit period. But hey, when you get such an awesome severance, you shouldn't complain. :razz:
how about if the severance pay worths 64 weeks? thank you
I was laid off, but my employer put K instead of A on the ROE, am I eligible for EI? (i have enough insured hours)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
bushengbugui wrote:
May 14th, 2013 3:23 pm
how about if the severance pay worths 64 weeks? thank you
I was laid off, but my employer put K instead of A on the ROE, am I eligible for EI? (i have enough insured hours)
already answered your PM. You will be fine, but you should apply asap.
May 10, 2009
185 posts
34 upvotes
I just got my Tax Refund. Do I need to declare this in my reports under the "Did you or will you receive money other than that already reported" question?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
Projek9 wrote:
May 14th, 2013 4:59 pm
I just got my Tax Refund. Do I need to declare this in my reports under the "Did you or will you receive money other than that already reported" question?
no

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)