Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
Broodwich wrote: Does it effect my situation at all if my part time job is at the same company which I resigned from my full time position? They are planning on processing my resignation then rehiring me for the Saturday hours.

Ok this is very complicated. Honestly I'm not sure. It's one thing to quit completely (and work at a pt job at another employer), it's another to quit ft work and came back on pt basis with the same employer. Typically, when someone's hours was cut from full time to part time basis, he is NOT eligible for EI benefits as there is no interruption of earning (no work & no pay for 7 days straight).

Again, the person in similar situation as yours, I think he also went back to his old employer after initial resignation. Each case is different so you may or may not get approved.
Mar 31, 2012
2 posts
SOOKE
I have two part time jobs right now. I will be layed off from one in June. Can I collect EI for the job I'm loosing while I still have the other job?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
wandamil wrote: I have two part time jobs right now. I will be layed off from one in June. Can I collect EI for the job I'm loosing while I still have the other job?

Yes definitely. You do need to submit both ROEs though.
Jul 20, 2009
10 posts
Great thread, and very helpful.

I have read through the entire thread to see if my question was covered first (it wasn't) so I shall now ask.

I was laid off from my job Dec 31 & applied for EI on Jan 1. I received a small severance package and a retention bonus payout after the layoff which meant that from Jan 1, 2012 to March 17, 2012 I would receive nothing from EI during that period.

It now appears that I was misinformed by the agent I spoke to previously when I asked about my EI benefits (as I have never been on it before). My understanding from the agent was that I would file my report as normal for the week covering March 19th to April 1 and begin receiving my EI benefits via direct deposit on April 3rd. This evening when I logged into my service canada account, it now states that I am in the 2 week waiting period and will continue to receive nothing...

Obviously the information I was given was wrong, and had I been aware of this, I would have certainly budgeted what little I had to stretch even further knowing that there would still be nothing from EI until mid-April.

My questions are this:
  • What happens to the money from that 2 week waiting period? If you qualify for 36 weeks, technically you will only ever be paid 34 because you lose 2 weeks of it automatically?
  • If my next report is due April 13th, and I submit it as always on the Friday, when will I actually receive my first deposit?
Thanks in advance!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
KrazEDesigns wrote:
My questions are this:
  • What happens to the money from that 2 week waiting period? If you qualify for 36 weeks, technically you will only ever be paid 34 because you lose 2 weeks of it automatically?
  • If my next report is due April 13th, and I submit it as always on the Friday, when will I actually receive my first deposit?
Thanks in advance!

1) every one has to serve a two week waiting period. There is no exception. You weren't paid earlier as your severance pay is allocated. Since you weren't paid for the two week waiting period, it has no impact on your entitlement weeks. In your example, you are still entitled to 36 weeks.

2) you should get it by Tuesday morning.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
2288 posts
3265 upvotes
Victoria
The two-week waiting period is like an insurance deductible. You do not receive any funds for this period. More info is on the Service Canada website.
Direct Deposit occurs two days after your reports are processed. Reports are processed Sunday - Thursday late afternoon.
So if you complete a report on Friday the 13th, your report will be processed Sunday the 15th and you will receive your direct deposit two days later (Tuesday the 17th). Again, check the Service Canada website for this info, it is all listed there.
Mar 26, 2006
120 posts
13 upvotes
Pierrefonds
New to Employment Insurance here.

I am in Quebec.

Work history of permanent full time exempt positions for 13 years without ever having to apply for EI.

Now employer since 2008 has filed for bankruptcy March 6. Trustee, the day after the bankruptcy, has retained my services as a contractor (I bill them on an hourly rate) to finish up accounting work involving issuing ROEs, calculating vacation and wages still owing, collecting Receivables etc etc etc. For sure, this will way exceed the 40% of max benefits of extra earnings allowed on a weekly basis. Very fortunate they agreed on a decent bookkeeping hourly rate. I foresee working for them for another two weeks. Thereafter, they will let me know if they would like to do a year end in which case, I can be on for another month.

I did receive a sum equivalent to 3 weeks of vacation the day before the bankruptcy.

And in terms of termination pay in lieu of notice, we will have to see what we can claim with Commission des Normes de Travail vs WEPPA vs as a secured creditor/preferred unsecured creditor. This I imagine will be 1 or 2 more months down the road.

The following are questions arising from reading EI:

1. What the impact is of my earnings with the Trustee will be on my benefits? I understand I probably not receive benefits for the duration of the time I am contracted by the Trustee. But will this shorten my benefit period? (Not sure if I am using my lingo correctly.) Because if this will shorten the duration of my EI entitlements, maybe it isn't worth it to continue this stint. However, I would think that the Government would be happy and encourage that I am still working and financially sustained as long as I can even though these earnings are not insurable? Or perhaps there is a way to apply and file that will not impact? For example, applying for EI later? Or filing not available for work for those weeks? But for these options, I would like to understand the impact to my benefits and the time I am entitled.

2. In terms of vacation pay, will they delay my benefits by the 3 weeks I was paid? Therefore I should do all my contracted billings during this time period to minimize impact to EI? Or should I spread it out.

That's all for now. I will continue reading up on EI but these are pressing questions.

Thank you for doing this!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
phics wrote:
1. What the impact is of my earnings with the Trustee will be on my benefits? I understand I probably not receive benefits for the duration of the time I am contracted by the Trustee. But will this shorten my benefit period? (Not sure if I am using my lingo correctly.) Because if this will shorten the duration of my EI entitlements, maybe it isn't worth it to continue this stint. However, I would think that the Government would be happy and encourage that I am still working and financially sustained as long as I can even though these earnings are not insurable? Or perhaps there is a way to apply and file that will not impact? For example, applying for EI later? Or filing not available for work for those weeks? But for these options, I would like to understand the impact to my benefits and the time I am entitled.

2. In terms of vacation pay, will they delay my benefits by the 3 weeks I was paid? Therefore I should do all my contracted billings during this time period to minimize impact to EI? Or should I spread it out.

That's all for now. I will continue reading up on EI but these are pressing questions.

Thank you for doing this!

I will answer question #2 first. Yes, your vacation pay will be allocated for three weeks, and you won't be payable for EI benefits, therefore, it's most advantageous for you to work during these three weeks and earnings during these three weeks will have no impact on your claim. Remember though, if you have earning during the waiting period (week 4 and 5 in your case), all of it will be deducted from your subsequent payments (up to 3 weeks).

Regarding to question #1. Even if you exceed the 40% allowable earnings, some benefits may be payable; it's just all the amount you make over the allowable will be deducted dollar by dollar from your benefits. However, if your weekly earning exceeds your EI rate + 40%, NO benefit will be payable. You don't lose that week.

In your particular case, if you can finish all contracted work before 3 weeks, then you should apply immediately (week 1-3 is not payable, week 4-5 is waiting period, and get paid on week 6). If you still have plenty of work on week 4 and 5, then it's probably best you apply on week 6 (your claim will start on week 6, and week 6+7 will serve as your waiting period and you get paid on week 8). The only risky part here is that you may lose some insurable hours, but if you have well over 1820 hours on ROE, you will be fine.
Apr 1, 2012
1 posts
Hello,

I just need a few words of advice about how I should proceed with a problem. Here's the issue,...I finished a YES contract on March.31st 2011 and then applied for and received EI benefits until I received my last payment in the middle of October,2011 when I stopped filing reports. The problem is, I started a new contract in the middle of September 2011 and filled out two online reports after the start date on my ROE... So I was over payed full benefits twice. I honestly am just an idiot and was just misinformed about my weekly EI reports. I didn't realize I was in the wrong and thought I stop filling out reports after I get paid or when I was sure I was going to stay. (I went into work on the 12th of September and was offered the job but wasn't sure I was going to stay for another contract. I started off just getting the paperwork ready and ended up just staying for another contract until March 2012, just a few days ago. After doing much research, 6 or 7 months after the fact, I realize I should not have filed those reports. I received money I was not entitled to. I just applied for EI benefits again with over 1200 hours on this contract. I had to call to eliminate my last claim which still had a few weeks payable on it, deciding a new claim is in my best interest. I'm a university graduate and I am willing and able to work, and am currently looking for opportunities. I put the proper start date on my new EI application but will I be red flagged when it shows I continued to receive payments for 3 or 4 weeks after that? Does this show when you file your income tax or when applying for new benefits? How can I be penalized or prosecuted? Can I do anything here to make amends...like, should I call someone and tell them what happened?...or wait until they contact me? I'm very regretful about this whole situation and it really wasn't done fraudulently or maliciously to get more money. I'm young and have never been on EI before and didn't even understand what the payments were. Like, I thought that my payments and my benefit rate was what I paid into it over the years and it didn't really matter how I received it. I know the questions directly asked "did you work" during the week and I lied and said no...not really thinking much about it. What do I do? I'm scared and I've never been in trouble with the law or government. Is this a big deal? Please help me. I'm so anxiety ridden now, I don't know what to do with myself. Thanks for any words of advice. I really am a good kid...just stupid I guess.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
goodkid wrote: Hello,

I just need a few words of advice about how I should proceed with a problem. Here's the issue,...I finished a YES contract on March.31st 2011 and then applied for and received EI benefits until I received my last payment in the middle of October,2011 when I stopped filing reports. The problem is, I started a new contract in the middle of September 2011 and filled out two online reports after the start date on my ROE... So I was over payed full benefits twice. I honestly am just an idiot and was just misinformed about my weekly EI reports. I didn't realize I was in the wrong and thought I stop filling out reports after I get paid or when I was sure I was going to stay. (I went into work on the 12th of September and was offered the job but wasn't sure I was going to stay for another contract. I started off just getting the paperwork ready and ended up just staying for another contract until March 2012, just a few days ago. After doing much research, 6 or 7 months after the fact, I realize I should not have filed those reports. I received money I was not entitled to. I just applied for EI benefits again with over 1200 hours on this contract. I had to call to eliminate my last claim which still had a few weeks payable on it, deciding a new claim is in my best interest. I'm a university graduate and I am willing and able to work, and am currently looking for opportunities. I put the proper start date on my new EI application but will I be red flagged when it shows I continued to receive payments for 3 or 4 weeks after that? Does this show when you file your income tax or when applying for new benefits? How can I be penalized or prosecuted? Can I do anything here to make amends...like, should I call someone and tell them what happened?...or wait until they contact me? I'm very regretful about this whole situation and it really wasn't done fraudulently or maliciously to get more money. I'm young and have never been on EI before and didn't even understand what the payments were. Like, I thought that my payments and my benefit rate was what I paid into it over the years and it didn't really matter how I received it. I know the questions directly asked "did you work" during the week and I lied and said no...not really thinking much about it. What do I do? I'm scared and I've never been in trouble with the law or government. Is this a big deal? Please help me. I'm so anxiety ridden now, I don't know what to do with myself. Thanks for any words of advice. I really am a good kid...just stupid I guess.

Well, just visit your local service Canada office, and tell them what happened. Tell them you were misinformed, made a mistake and was overpaid. You're willing to to repay these overpayment. At least your attempt will be documented on file. Whether an agent will follow through is another question. However, if a future investigation is conducted, you should be fine as your already made an attempt to amend the situation.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
I filed an antedate request about 2 months ago, as discussed earlier in this thread. It said only that they would try to review it before march 5th, or the next business day. Now it basically just says they have not made a decision yet. Would visiting my local EI office do anything? Or how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks!
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
redgrandam wrote: I filed an antedate request about 2 months ago, as discussed earlier in this thread. It said only that they would try to review it before march 5th, or the next business day. Now it basically just says they have not made a decision yet. Would visiting my local EI office do anything? Or how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks!

go over my first post?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
b166er1337 wrote: go over my first post?

the part about 28 days? I thought that was just for initial filing, should other decisions also fall within 28 days?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
redgrandam wrote: the part about 28 days? I thought that was just for initial filing, should other decisions also fall within 28 days?

yap, go for it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
b166er1337 wrote: yap, go for it.

Thx. Actually made it through on the phone. Waiting on a call back. Only a ten minute wait. Previously I've never even been able to make it to the que.
Jul 21, 2010
25 posts
I'm claimed EI in January but found a 2 month temp/contract job in March and have been reporting my hours but for the days I dont go to work, I get paid my EI benefit.

I wanted to know is there a way to pause my EI so I can re-activate it when I finish my contract in May? I want to save the number of weeks I get EI as I have already used up some weeks.

I looked at the EI website but its not helping much. I also report my hours online, so how can I let them know that I want to pause

From the website:

17. How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
captainc wrote: I'm claimed EI in January but found a 2 month temp/contract job in March and have been reporting my hours but for the days I dont go to work, I get paid my EI benefit.

I wanted to know is there a way to pause my EI so I can re-activate it when I finish my contract in May? I want to save the number of weeks I get EI as I have already used up some weeks.

I looked at the EI website but its not helping much. I also report my hours online, so how can I let them know that I want to pause

From the website:

17. How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.

On your next report, declare that you have found a full time job (they will ask you which day). If you want to stop collecting partial EI benefits, tell them you found the full time job on the Monday of the first week that you are reporting.
Apr 4, 2012
2 posts
Vancouver, British C…
Hello,

First of all, thank you for being on this forum and helping everyone on their EI questions!

Okay, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma... I'm currently 20ish weeks into my regular EI benefits. Back in the holiday season, I took on a seasonal part-time job. Now, when I was reporting my earnings, I did not know that the company would pay me out my commissions on each paycheque nor how much I had made. In early March, I received a letter of overpayment for a couple of weeks in the amount of around $300, which I sent back with my explanation. I also went on vacation for 4 days out of the country in mid-March and had to call the reporting line about the reason. When I called, the person told me that because my claim was under review, they could not process my report until it was completed and it would take up to 3 weeks time and was told to check the website for the most up-to-date details. On the website, the 3-week window was supposed to be end April 3rd. However, today (April 4th) the website just said "will be reviewed as soon as possible". When I called the automated EI hotline, the message now say until April 13th. Worst yet, another overpayment letter (of $50) was sent to me yesterday. My questions are:

1) I'm up for reporting again this Friday, claiming 0 hours (I am currently unemployed). Does this mean that I'm not getting any payments until this "review" process is over, or was just my last report delayed in process because I went out of the country? If yes, is there a way to speed up the process? I am in dire need of my payments right now to pay bills and to pretty much LIVE.
2) How long does it take for these reviews to take place? Will they just keep extending it week after week withholding my payments?
3) With the second letter of overpayment, when I send this out, will it take them another month to process and review it? In other words, is this "new" overpayment of $50 a new review, or are they tacking it onto the current review?
4) Am I in serious trouble here? Because those letters sound really intimidating about the penalizations and such... They're not going to cancel my EI benefits over $350, are they?
5) Lastly, what is the actual process in repaying the overpayments?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. I have been losing sleep over this and going crazy checking the Services Canada website over and over again...
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
psychodoughboy66 wrote:
1) I'm up for reporting again this Friday, claiming 0 hours (I am currently unemployed). Does this mean that I'm not getting any payments until this "review" process is over, or was just my last report delayed in process because I went out of the country? If yes, is there a way to speed up the process? I am in dire need of my payments right now to pay bills and to pretty much LIVE.
2) How long does it take for these reviews to take place? Will they just keep extending it week after week withholding my payments?
3) With the second letter of overpayment, when I send this out, will it take them another month to process and review it? In other words, is this "new" overpayment of $50 a new review, or are they tacking it onto the current review?
4) Am I in serious trouble here? Because those letters sound really intimidating about the penalizations and such... They're not going to cancel my EI benefits over $350, are they?
5) Lastly, what is the actual process in repaying the overpayments?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. I have been losing sleep over this and going crazy checking the Services Canada website over and over again...

1) All payments are suspended while a claim is being reviewed. If you can get ahold of the agent reviewing the first overpayment, tell them you receive the 2nd letter for OP, as well as your out-of-country status. He/she may be able to review all matters at once, thus avoid further delays.

2) Service Canada is understaffed and there is a lot of backlogs. Again, no payment will be issued while it's being reviewed. If you have waited over 3 weeks, go over the first post and call the numbers I listed.

3) n/a

4) No, worst case scenario is that you repay $350 back, plus some penalties. Since the overpayment is minor, you may need slightly more hours to qualify in the future.

5) Write a cheque and hand it to your local SC office.
Apr 4, 2012
2 posts
Vancouver, British C…
b166er1337 wrote: 1) All payments are suspended while a claim is being reviewed. If you can get ahold of the agent reviewing the first overpayment, tell them you receive the 2nd letter for OP, as well as your out-of-country status. He/she may be able to review all matters at once, thus avoid further delays.

2) Service Canada is understaffed and there is a lot of backlogs. Again, no payment will be issued while it's being reviewed. If you have waited over 3 weeks, go over the first post and call the numbers I listed.

3) n/a

4) No, worst case scenario is that you repay $350 back, plus some penalties. Since the overpayment is minor, you may need slightly more hours to qualify in the future.

5) Write a cheque and hand it to your local SC office.

Thanks for all you help. Now, at least I know what to do!