• Oct 21st, 2019 12:11 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Jul 25th, 2013 9:28 pm
You risk being cut off if you refuse employment. Will EI find out? Possibly.
Also it may be considered quitting (without just cause), since you refuse to go back to your original posting.
The employer can simply amend the ROE and change box 16 from A to E.
Mar 5, 2011
24 posts
5 upvotes
Pickering, Canada
I've just informed service canada about my upcoming absence from Canada, and they told me when I fill out my reports for those periods to select "No" when asked if I was outside of Canada since they will already have it on record. What do I select when it asks if I was "ready, willing, able" to work from Monday to Friday? Is it the same as the absence from Canada where I would select "yes" in this case since they already have it on file? Also, for the first 3 days of my next reporting period (begins next week) I will be available for work as I don't leave the country until Thursday.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
mmac1983 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2013 11:24 am
I've just informed service canada about my upcoming absence from Canada, and they told me when I fill out my reports for those periods to select "No" when asked if I was outside of Canada since they will already have it on record. What do I select when it asks if I was "ready, willing, able" to work from Monday to Friday? Is it the same as the absence from Canada where I would select "yes" in this case since they already have it on file? Also, for the first 3 days of my next reporting period (begins next week) I will be available for work as I don't leave the country until Thursday.
You have to declare NO to availability for days you are out of Canada. Otherwise your claim will require human intervention. As for first 3 days of next week, you can declare you are available for work.
Mar 5, 2011
24 posts
5 upvotes
Pickering, Canada
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2013 11:51 am
You have to declare NO to availability for days you are out of Canada. Otherwise your claim will require human intervention. As for first 3 days of next week, you can declare you are available for work.
So how do I indicate that exactly? I've never been not available for work before so I always just select the "Yes" checkbox when filing my report online. If I select "No" do I then receive a prompt asking for which days I was/wasn't available?
Sep 29, 2009
516 posts
103 upvotes
So I may be crossing the border to pick up a package and get gas today, total time outside of Canada under 2 hours max. And today is the end of a reporting period too.

I see there is an eForm online now to declare time spent out of Canada and it has options to accommodate absences under 24 hours. So I was thinking when I get home I would fill that out first, then my regular EI report, and then phone Service Canada if they haven't gone home for the day, to ensure that everything is in order.

Since I am available for work today otherwise (e.g. if I were offered work I'd be able to delay picking up the package), should I still say yes to availability for the whole week?

And as far as I know, I should declare yes to out of Canada and then immediately follow up with Service Canada?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
mmac1983 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2013 12:35 pm
So how do I indicate that exactly? I've never been not available for work before so I always just select the "Yes" checkbox when filing my report online. If I select "No" do I then receive a prompt asking for which days I was/wasn't available?
It will ask you day by day availability.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
queerasmoi wrote:
Jul 26th, 2013 1:01 pm
So I may be crossing the border to pick up a package and get gas today, total time outside of Canada under 2 hours max. And today is the end of a reporting period too.

I see there is an eForm online now to declare time spent out of Canada and it has options to accommodate absences under 24 hours. So I was thinking when I get home I would fill that out first, then my regular EI report, and then phone Service Canada if they haven't gone home for the day, to ensure that everything is in order.

Since I am available for work today otherwise (e.g. if I were offered work I'd be able to delay picking up the package), should I still say yes to availability for the whole week?

And as far as I know, I should declare yes to out of Canada and then immediately follow up with Service Canada?
yes
Jul 25, 2013
1 posts
Hey guys, I found this thread a while back and it helped me out a ton with my EI application process. After almost exactly a month of waiting, I signed into My Service Canada account today to see this message:

We have processed your report for the period ending Saturday July 20, 2013 which has resulted in a payment of $0.00 for this period.

Your next report for the 2 week period beginning Sunday, July 21 can be filed on Friday, August 02 at 8:00 am Eastern Time. It is important to file your next report within 3 weeks of this date otherwise loss of benefits may occur. Please note that if you have had a change of address since the last time you completed a report, you must update your address before proceeding to the Internet Reporting Service. Please select "View/Change my mailing address and telephone number" on the My Service Canada Account home page to provide us with your new information.

Your claim for sickness benefits has been established. You could be entitled to these benefits up to the week ending October 19, 2013 or to a maximum of 15 weeks provided you have a medical certificate covering each week claimed.

No Employment Insurance benefits are payable to you as June 24, 2013 because you failed to follow an instruction sent to you.

If you disagree with our decision, which is based on the Employment Insurance Act and its Regulations, a request for a reconsideration of that decision must be made in writing within 30 days of the date the decision was initially communicated to you. For more information on how to request a reconsideration, please visit www.ei-ae.gc.ca.

Please note that this is the most up-to-date information available in our system. Our Call Centre agents have access to the same information presented here. Any information processed on your claim today can be viewed online on the next business day.

Now I'm not exactly sure what that means, and I love how they said I failed to do something, yet don't tell me what it is. Seeing as how it's a Friday evening, I can't exactly call them either (though I'll probably get the 'no one is available message' I got last time again).

Now the only thing I can think of that I 'failed' to do was the fact that my employer took their sweet lily time to send in my ROE. Nearly two weeks to be exact. I think I read somewhere that it had to be within five days, so that could be it. Either that or I forgot to add something in the application process. I know that I received my vacation payout AFTER I applied (was not told I'd be getting it) so it could be that as well. I'm under the Sickness benefits, and I've sent in a medical certificate to Service Canada in person. Do I need to send a medical cert. for every week? I was only given one document from my doctor which basically said I'd be out of commission for 10 weeks minimum, is that good enough?

When I check my payments window, it shows me three weeks worth of information, all showing this:

Week 1 of reporting period (July 07, 2013 to July 13, 2013)

Benefit Rate: $239
Type of Benefit: Sickness benefits
Gross Amount: $0
Deductions:
Other: $239

That's a month's worth, and it's showing that whatever I'd get has been deducted under 'Other'.

I'm starting to run on fumes here for rent and bills, and all this EI stuff is making my head hurt. Will I continue to get these deductions and basically no money, or is something else going on?

I'm sorry for the big post and bunch of questions, but I'm beginning to get worried as this whole EI situation isn't exactly helping me out like I thought it would.

Cheers,

D.
Jul 26, 2013
1 posts
Forgive me if this is already addressed, but I could not find a is at question. Thank you very much for your insight and information, ei is so confusing!
I have been receiving benefits for a month and have a few upcoming issues that I just want to be prepared for, however it will work out.
The first is a surgery I will be having soon, I need a shoulder repair as my first surgery didn't work. Will ei allow me to switch to medical benefits?
Next, I will be entering university this fall. I assume I lose my benefits at that point. Is that accurate?
It's stressful enough that these two events are coming up, so knowing what may be coming in terms of my benefits will help. I am actively pursuing employment, but this surgery will put me out of commission for about a month.
Thank you for any help you may be able to give.
Sep 29, 2009
516 posts
103 upvotes
So I made it out of Point Roberts just after 4 PM, and pulled over in South Delta once I had CDN cell reception. Did my EI report on my tablet - it requested specific times that I was out of the country, and upon completion I phoned up SC. By the time I reached someone, he told me that the system had already auto-adjudicated that the absence was fine and I should get my payment at the usual time.
Jul 1, 2013
17 posts
I worked as a lab assistant for 2 years at my university. When I graduated, like many of my jobless colleagues, I was stuck. I asked if I qualify for EI and from the answers I got, it seems that I am out of luck. They suggested that I apply for social assistance since I am tight on money. That is the last thing I would do.

I am a recent graduate with no job, stressed, tight on money and perhaps losing his rented house soon if things don't work out. Life sucks!! :(
Jul 23, 2013
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Jul 24th, 2013 7:36 pm
It's either not an issue or it simply hasn't reached the top of the pile yet.
Is there a specific time frame that can go by where service canada is not allowed to come back and ask for the extra money back? (Eg. 36 months or 72 months from the date the EI was collected while employed?)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9933 posts
3897 upvotes
Calgary
MureBl wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 7:19 am
I worked as a lab assistant for 2 years at my university. When I graduated, like many of my jobless colleagues, I was stuck. I asked if I qualify for EI and from the answers I got, it seems that I am out of luck. They suggested that I apply for social assistance since I am tight on money. That is the last thing I would do.

I am a recent graduate with no job, stressed, tight on money and perhaps losing his rented house soon if things don't work out. Life sucks!! :(
If you have enough hours, you should be able to qualify. Why listen to people who don't know that they is talking about?
Sep 29, 2009
516 posts
103 upvotes
MureBl wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 7:19 am

b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2013 1:11 pm
If you have enough hours, you should be able to qualify. Why listen to people who don't know that they is talking about?
It depends - were you employed as a lab assistant, paying EI premiums? Or were you on a research assistantship which pays scholarship income? In the latter case, it'd be non-taxable, and EI-ineligible. In the former, get yourself an RoE and contact Service Canada.
Nov 13, 2006
6 posts
I have 6 month coop work term. Ends in january. I then return to class till end february. If not offered job will I qualify for ei?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)