Page 297 of 850

Re: EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 9:07 am
by CanadianGurl78
Hello,

I've recently applied for Maternity EI, and have used the online application form. I'm a Canadian resident, but have relocated to the UK to be with the baby's father, and to give birth here in the UK to ensure baby has duel citizenship. Prior to leaving Canada I had called Services Canada and told them about my situation and they told me that as long as I have the required hours of work, that I would be able to claim my Canadian maternity while in the UK. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to add this additional information on my EI form. I have more than the needed hours, and the salary I was paid in the 52 weeks prior to leaving my job was more than the max I could claim for. I left my job at the beginning of May to leave for the UK, and the baby is due at the end of September (eligible for EI as of Aug. 5th). I've tried calling the Out of Canada Claims Centre and have left two messages, but no one is getting back to me. I've created my online account to try and track my application, but it just states that it's being reviewed (applied July 26th).

Is there any reason why I would be turned down at this point, and how long does it take to find out if your application has been approved? Will Services Canada let me know, or will money just show up in my account? I still have a permanent residence in Canada.

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 10:07 am
by invisible123
Hello , I have one more question. What is recall to job procedure in Ontario after being laid off? Should I receive recall to work letter or some agreement ?Can they recall me to work by e-mail or phone? thank you..

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 1:14 pm
by jumbo463
Hi OP,
I am in a complicated situation here, My mum has been diagnose with 3rd stage cancer. I have the CCB (Compassionate Care Benefit) form filled. At the same time, she is residing out of state in Malaysia. I went into Service Canada today to submit the form, I was told that the likelihood of the application being rejected is high as the doctor ticked no on "there is no significant risk of death in within next 6 months"

I was also told there is "voluntarily leaving and EI" which will give me a longer period of EI benefits as i am planning to return to Malaysia to care for her. When i am going thru the application online, i couldnt proceed as i am still working at the moment.

In your opinion, what should i do, to be able to get the maximum benefits? I am so confused and clueless on the next step i should take.

Please advise and thank you for your time

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 4:32 pm
by clseea
CanadianGurl78 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 1:07 pm
Hello,

I've recently applied for Maternity EI, and have used the online application form. I'm a Canadian resident, but have relocated to the UK to be with the baby's father, and to give birth here in the UK to ensure baby has duel citizenship. Prior to leaving Canada I had called Services Canada and told them about my situation and they told me that as long as I have the required hours of work, that I would be able to claim my Canadian maternity while in the UK. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to add this additional information on my EI form. I have more than the needed hours, and the salary I was paid in the 52 weeks prior to leaving my job was more than the max I could claim for. I left my job at the beginning of May to leave for the UK, and the baby is due at the end of September (eligible for EI as of Aug. 5th). I've tried calling the Out of Canada Claims Centre and have left two messages, but no one is getting back to me. I've created my online account to try and track my application, but it just states that it's being reviewed (applied July 26th).

Is there any reason why I would be turned down at this point, and how long does it take to find out if your application has been approved? Will Services Canada let me know, or will money just show up in my account? I still have a permanent residence in Canada.
It can take up to 40 days for things to go through.

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 4:33 pm
by clseea
invisible123 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 2:07 pm
Hello , I have one more question. What is recall to job procedure in Ontario after being laid off? Should I receive recall to work letter or some agreement ?Can they recall me to work by e-mail or phone? thank you..
That's a provincial matter

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 4:34 pm
by coltonbauman
Is there any other way to contact EI besides the number given on the site. I've tried 8 times now, at different times of day, for the last week, and have not been able to speak to one single person. The information I want about my claim is not online, and everytime I call it simple says "Our call volume is high right now, we cannot connect you to an operator". Honestly, this whole process from start to finish has been just terrible.

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 4:35 pm
by clseea
jumbo463 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 5:14 pm
Hi OP,
I am in a complicated situation here, My mum has been diagnose with 3rd stage cancer. I have the CCB (Compassionate Care Benefit) form filled. At the same time, she is residing out of state in Malaysia. I went into Service Canada today to submit the form, I was told that the likelihood of the application being rejected is high as the doctor ticked no on "there is no significant risk of death in within next 6 months"

I was also told there is "voluntarily leaving and EI" which will give me a longer period of EI benefits as i am planning to return to Malaysia to care for her. When i am going thru the application online, i couldnt proceed as i am still working at the moment.

In your opinion, what should i do, to be able to get the maximum benefits? I am so confused and clueless on the next step i should take.

Please advise and thank you for your time
If the doctor stated there isn't a significant risk of death in the next 6 months, you won't get CCB.

You need to have stopped working in order for a claim to proceed. In your case, if you're not eligible for CCB benefits because her doctor won't sign off, you won't be eligible for anything else. You can't claim sick benefits and you won't qualify for regular benefits. You can't travel and get regular benefits, and you need to show you'd be otherwise available for work if your weren't sick. You're not otherwise available if you're traveling to take care of your mother.

If the doctor says there's not a significant risk of dying, quitting your job will most likely be viewed as a personal choice.

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 5:09 pm
by clseea
coltonbauman wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 8:34 pm
Is there any other way to contact EI besides the number given on the site. I've tried 8 times now, at different times of day, for the last week, and have not been able to speak to one single person. The information I want about my claim is not online, and everytime I call it simple says "Our call volume is high right now, we cannot connect you to an operator". Honestly, this whole process from start to finish has been just terrible.
Not if you want detailed information. Keep trying. Try mid week... Call volume is usually a bit lower

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 7:44 pm
by queerasmoi
coltonbauman wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 8:34 pm
This is going to be long and annoying but here is what you do:
1) Call the EI contact number.
2) Press 0 to supposedly reach someone.
3) If you hear the "Our call volume is high" message, immediately press 1.
4) You will be kicked back to the starting menu which stops it from hanging up on you.
5) Wait 5-10 seconds. Repeat from #2.

This is much faster than calling back multiple times. I have sometimes spent as long as 20 minutes cycling back and forth between 0 and 1, but eventually it does punch through. You will be able to tell because the voice will sound completely different. From that point, within a minute it will give you an estimate of how long you will be on hold.

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 7:46 pm
by queerasmoi
Question for the experts: In my Service Canada Account, when I view my claim it tells me that X weeks have been paid out so far. Is this the number of weeks I should be following to determine when I surpass the 18-week/70% rule for occasional claimants and when I will reach the end of my benefits? Or should I be adding another two weeks to that to account for not being paid during my waiting period?

Posted: Aug 12th, 2013 9:22 pm
by clseea
queerasmoi wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 11:46 pm
Question for the experts: In my Service Canada Account, when I view my claim it tells me that X weeks have been paid out so far. Is this the number of weeks I should be following to determine when I surpass the 18-week/70% rule for occasional claimants and when I will reach the end of my benefits? Or should I be adding another two weeks to that to account for not being paid during my waiting period?
Your waiting period isn't included since you weren't paid

Posted: Aug 13th, 2013 9:44 pm
by DaBawss
Good friend recently experienced a medical emergency.

He's currently using his "sick days" from work (10)

Can he apply for EI "sickness benefits" while he waits 90 days for his Long Term Disability benefits from his group insurance plan to activate (waiting period)? He does not have any Short Term Disability benefits, only long term. He is currently in the hospital receiving treatment.

What procedure must one go through to exercise such benefits, and what happens when LTD takes over? Can EI supplement his income or must it stop?

Posted: Aug 14th, 2013 12:26 pm
by blue9992
hello again. I have a problem with my EI that maybe you could help clarify:

so, I received a check for the pension I payed into while at my last job about three months into my EI claim (around april) I made them aware of these funds on the report i filed. I then needed to call them and provide further details of the money. They told me it could take a couple weeks to make a decision and they would call me and let me know how it would be deducted and when my benefits would be reinstated. That was now almost four months ago. my online reporting has been reopened so i have filed all of the reports back to the date when i got the funds and expected a payment would show up at some point, which it has not. On my service canada account it shows that they have processed all the reports, but says at the top that they still have not made a decision. I have tried calling them probably around 100 times over the last month or so. It's been almost four months and no word and I'm now completely broke and am unsure how I am going to pay rent this month. It would be so helpful just for someone to let me know whats going on. What can I do? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
James.

Posted: Aug 14th, 2013 12:35 pm
by bermudaluda
Hello. I have been on a Leave of Absence and my sickness benefits is about to end due to my incapacity to work, and i am still unable to work. The person at the EI center asked if i was staying with the same employer after my sickness benefits end, i wasn't sure as the work played a big role in my incapacity to work. They then told me that i can switch to regular benefits if i obtain an updated medical form explaining why im still unable to work. A few days ago my work issued a new ROE and put me as quit when i did not request it. So on my EI status it says they are making a decision, i think a decision to approve me last week of sickness benefit payment, but i'm not too sure. At this point what should i do? I am going to my Doctor to get a new medical note, how do i convert to regular benefits and what will i need? Do i have to make a new claim?

Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Posted: Aug 14th, 2013 1:32 pm
by b166er1337
DaBawss wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 1:44 am
Good friend recently experienced a medical emergency.

He's currently using his "sick days" from work (10)

Can he apply for EI "sickness benefits" while he waits 90 days for his Long Term Disability benefits from his group insurance plan to activate (waiting period)? He does not have any Short Term Disability benefits, only long term. He is currently in the hospital receiving treatment.

What procedure must one go through to exercise such benefits, and what happens when LTD takes over? Can EI supplement his income or must it stop?
He should have no problem getting EI sickness benefits before LTD kicks in. Once it is kicked in, EI will probably stop.