Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 1:26 pm
Feb 23, 2012
6 posts
TORONTO
I have a question regarding EI checks.
I worked for the same company in a niche job for 12 years.
Got on EI end of Dec 2011 and my claim expires in Oct 2012.
It's been quite impossible to find a job so far, to the point that I have not even had one job interview. I do keep a log of my job searches (on-line) but nothing beyond that, what else could I keep?
I understand that there is a two or three month period where EI leaves you alone but then it may beging to "interview" you to make sure you are looking for a job? I am worried about this process given my situation. Could you please enlighten me? Is this process random? Is there an algorithm somewhere and will I get flagged? What is the best approach to deal with this? I need to support my family and depend on EI payments.
Any info would be greately appreciated!
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
46 upvotes
I have a question. How does EI apply to a small business. Lets say I own a small business and it goes bust and im out of a job with no income. Can I claim EI? And how much could I claim?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
virgilaug wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 10:24 am
I have a question. How does EI apply to a small business. Lets say I own a small business and it goes bust and im out of a job with no income. Can I claim EI? And how much could I claim?

If you are a small business owner, you are not covered under EI since your employment is not insurable.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
globus999 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 9:19 am
I have a question regarding EI checks.
I worked for the same company in a niche job for 12 years.
Got on EI end of Dec 2011 and my claim expires in Oct 2012.
It's been quite impossible to find a job so far, to the point that I have not even had one job interview. I do keep a log of my job searches (on-line) but nothing beyond that, what else could I keep?
I understand that there is a two or three month period where EI leaves you alone but then it may beging to "interview" you to make sure you are looking for a job? I am worried about this process given my situation. Could you please enlighten me? Is this process random? Is there an algorithm somewhere and will I get flagged? What is the best approach to deal with this? I need to support my family and depend on EI payments.
Any info would be greately appreciated!

The job market is crap right now. Don't worry, just keep a list of the jobs that you applied to. You will be safe. The Service Canada interview is probably random, but I don't know for certain.

A personal tip is to send an email to myself for every job I applied to, including the job description. That way I can easily label them and pull them out, right from my cell phone or laptop.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
NutsandBolts wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2012 4:58 pm
Let me start by thanking you for offering your time to answer all these questions.

This question concerns me, ...........dang I wrote this a hundred times and it still doesn't make sense....

Person is on Compo with permanent partial disability. Reorientation in the job force.
Person finds job @ 10$ hour
Person reports income to Compo, Compo cuts benefits by 10$, and she is still subsidized the rest of her former pay, for sake of argument Compo continues paying another 10$ giving an original amount of 20$ hr. pre injury.
Person loses job, lay off after 1 year of work. Enough hours accumulated for UI.
Compo does not increase payments after job loss, this is the politics of the insurance.

Question: Is she eligible for UI benefits on the 10$ hour job even if she is continuing to receive Compo benefits, all be it at a reduced rate?

Thank you in advance

Worker's compensation payments is considered insurable earnings for EI purposes. Have you read the following section? http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#a5_11_3
Feb 11, 2012
960 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
I have a question about EI. Why is it a scam? Why do I have to contribute to it every paycheque and then have it forfeited because I was fired or whatever? Why is there a time limit on it? Why do I have to look for a job while I'm on it?

I am sorry but EI is just another scam by the government. Its not taxes and its not even supposed to be deducted to begin with and if its deducted then it sure as hell supposed to come back to me full with no conditions of anything.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
anyasok wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 12:38 pm
I have a question about EI. Why is it a scam? Why do I have to contribute to it every paycheque and then have it forfeited because I was fired or whatever? Why is there a time limit on it? Why do I have to look for a job while I'm on it?

I am sorry but EI is just another scam by the government. Its not taxes and its not even supposed to be deducted to begin with and if its deducted then it sure as hell supposed to come back to me full with no conditions of anything.

If you are fired for misconduct or wilful wrongdoing, of course you are not covered under EI. If you intentionally drive your car into a ditch, you think the car insurance company will cover you? If you burn down your house intentionally, do you honestly think home insurance will pay for it?

With your attitude I can see why you are fired.
Feb 11, 2012
960 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 12:56 pm
If you are fired for misconduct or wilful wrongdoing, of course you are not covered under EI. If you intentionally drive your car into a ditch, you think the car insurance company will cover you? If you burn down your house intentionally, do you honestly think home insurance will pay for it?

With your attitude I can see why you are fired.
Government commits acts of miscondut and wilful wrongdoing every day, why can't I stop paying taxes to them as punishment?! Oh yeah I forgot its OK for them to bail out banks that then profit from them but its not OK to bail out regular people who these banks scammed and got into big debt? Someone should dismantle this mess of a corrupt institution.

I am employed right now, but I am merely talking from past experience. You completely dodge the gist of my question: these premiums SHOULD NOT be deducted IN THE FIRST PLACE and if they're deducted, they should be RETURNED WHOLESALE with no obligations or conditions attached!

You mentioned insurance... yet another racket... what bigger fraud could there be from a company that you pay for the POSSIBILITY of an injury or death and not only that but you are FORCED to buy insurance at inflated rates that no one bothers controlling because the governments gets kickback money from all the lobbying. Insurance companies, for all intents and purposes, should RETURN all the money at the end of the year (maybe take a really small cut from the service provided) if no at-fault accidents happened.

And for your information, being complacent and giving no attitude is the very reason why the world and civilization are crumbling, the economy is in shambles and nothing is being done about it
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2057 posts
144 upvotes
ANYSOK get yourself a blog - this thread isn't meant for you to complain and B***H about a government run program. b166er1337 works for Service Canada and is here to answer questions. He/She didn't make the legislation or have any authority to change it. If you have a problem with the EI program - contact your local MP and not rant on a message board.
Aug 24, 2011
108 posts
7 upvotes
LAVAL
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2012 11:55 am
Worker's compensation payments is considered insurable earnings for EI purposes. Have you read the following section? http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#a5_11_3
I have now, thank you for that (copied to my docs) but it doesn't address my questions, just a lot of legal definition explanations. Your reply makes me think that the whole revenue = work + Compo is covered and EI payment are made out on that total, which shouldn't be the case because her "income support" or "disability pension" continues whether she working or not...which brings in the question is she even eligible for EI because the compo income support. Oh and she tried to get an appointment with an agent but was politely refused because she doesn't have an active case (this is for future info only) She spoke over the phone with someone that wasn't helpful, then was directed to search the EI website for answers.
Then I found this thred in my favorite forum :razz: :razz: :razz: Can you expand on what your thoughts are?

Anyasok
That has to be the most lamest rant I have heard in a long time, it is obvious you don't know how the EI system works, or how lucky we are to have something Your rant is so full of holes and it makes you sound like a teenager that was told to get off XBox and find a job.
This is not the place for this, I apologize for my part.

b166er1337...there is a lot of us that appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.

Regards
Dec 9, 2008
936 posts
89 upvotes
Hamilton
Looking for some clarification regarding EI benefits.

I am currently on a 1 year full-time contract position with no prior full-time work experience before that. I am 8 months in to it and have secured an offer for another contract position at another company for 3 months. If I resign from my current job and take the other offer, will I be eligible for full EI benefits if my contract does not get extended after the 3 months? As I understand, you must work at least 1 year to receive EI benefits? Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
Another EI question to throw out there. I submitted my claim Jan 11th, and was approved the beginning of feb. I have yet to receive a payment as I did not do the reports required when they send you your access code. So I called on friday and did the report, but now my claim is being reviewed to see if my backdating to Jan 11th will be approved based on my reason for not completing the report. My question, how long does it normally take to review these reasons for not doing the report and request for backdating?

Also what is the procedure for reporting full time employment to them? I have a potential job lined up in the next week, but I want my money for the last (almost) 2 months as I have had no income since xmas. If I report the job to CRA after I hear back about the decision for backdating will they just charge me for the amount they gave me from start of employment of my new job at the end of the tax year? I do not want to mislead CRA at all but I want the money I was owed since Jan 11th. I purposefully said to my potential new employer that I can work for a week so I would have time to hear back about EI.
....Now I have more time for contests :lol:
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
NutsandBolts wrote:
Feb 25th, 2012 11:01 am
I have now, thank you for that (copied to my docs) but it doesn't address my questions, just a lot of legal definition explanations. Your reply makes me think that the whole revenue = work + Compo is covered and EI payment are made out on that total, which shouldn't be the case because her "income support" or "disability pension" continues whether she working or not...which brings in the question is she even eligible for EI because the compo income support. Oh and she tried to get an appointment with an agent but was politely refused because she doesn't have an active case (this is for future info only) She spoke over the phone with someone that wasn't helpful, then was directed to search the EI website for answers.
Then I found this thred in my favorite forum :razz: :razz: :razz: Can you expand on what your thoughts are?

Regards

She is definitely eligible. However, as I mentioned, the worker's compensation payment is considered income so her EI benefits will be deducted partially as she continues to receive WC payments.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
GeneralDisaray wrote:
Feb 25th, 2012 3:45 pm
Looking for some clarification regarding EI benefits.

I am currently on a 1 year full-time contract position with no prior full-time work experience before that. I am 8 months in to it and have secured an offer for another contract position at another company for 3 months. If I resign from my current job and take the other offer, will I be eligible for full EI benefits if my contract does not get extended after the 3 months? As I understand, you must work at least 1 year to receive EI benefits? Thank you.

Yes, you will be eligible since both are contract positions. If this is your first job, you need 910 hours in the most recent 52 weeks to qualify. (910 hours is 35 hr/ week x 26 weeks, so roughly 6 months of full time work).
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9708 posts
3544 upvotes
Calgary
Moz wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 12:45 pm
Another EI question to throw out there. I submitted my claim Jan 11th, and was approved the beginning of feb. I have yet to receive a payment as I did not do the reports required when they send you your access code. So I called on friday and did the report, but now my claim is being reviewed to see if my backdating to Jan 11th will be approved based on my reason for not completing the report. My question, how long does it normally take to review these reasons for not doing the report and request for backdating?

Also what is the procedure for reporting full time employment to them? I have a potential job lined up in the next week, but I want my money for the last (almost) 2 months as I have had no income since xmas. If I report the job to CRA after I hear back about the decision for backdating will they just charge me for the amount they gave me from start of employment of my new job at the end of the tax year? I do not want to mislead CRA at all but I want the money I was owed since Jan 11th. I purposefully said to my potential new employer that I can work for a week so I would have time to hear back about EI.

Since you didn't file any report, your status is now "failure to report". You are without income for two months, so visit your MP to speed up your claim.

You don't report the full time job to CRA. On your claimant's report, there is a field you can click if you start a full time job. The decision whether to allow your backpay is completely separate from the new full time job. After you start the job, report it on the next claimant's report. That's it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)