EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 2:43 pm
Sep 5, 2005
277 posts
148 upvotes
Victoria
A question about an antedate request.

I was laid off on December 22, but did not apply for EI until after the four week period (somewhere around January 25th). Reason was that I was immediately offered a position in another company but that company ended up ceasing operations, before I started work. I then applied and have begun collecting benefits at the max benefit amount. I put through an antedate request for December 23rd but after reading this thread it seems possible that this would reduce my benefits to last year's maximum rather than this year's.

Since I received 2 weeks severance, it appears that at most I would receive an extra 2 weeks of benefits if my antedate request is approved. But if this will affect my weekly benefits, it would probably end up not being worthwhile if I have to remain on EI for an extended period. The two weeks of benefits would soon be eaten by the lower amount of the weekly benefits for claims before January 1st, 2012.

My request has not yet been processed. Is there a way to ask that the effective date for the antedate request be January 1st, 2012 instead of December 23rd? Should I just ask that the request be cancelled completely? Or am I out of luck?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2009
5661 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 3:04 pm
Since you didn't file any report, your status is now "failure to report". You are without income for two months, so visit your MP to speed up your claim.

You don't report the full time job to CRA. On your claimant's report, there is a field you can click if you start a full time job. The decision whether to allow your backpay is completely separate from the new full time job. After you start the job, report it on the next claimant's report. That's it.

For the first point, the status was failure to report, but I spoke to someone regarding my claim, and I gave a reason, so depending on if they believe my reason is if I get back pay or not. Visit my MP and say what I messed up and have had no income for 2 months can ya help me out?
Next claimaints report? does that come in the mail, or am I obliged to go online and complete a new one in 2 wks or so?
....Now I have more time for contests :lol:
Feb 22, 2012
14 posts
MISSISSAUGA
If anybody knows this please help me understand it. Very much appreciated.

There are weeks when we don't have work, its an elect-to-work job, when they don't have a shift for me to take, will ei then pay me my 2wks?

Will they stop my insurance if I don't accept an available shift? They're not scheduled hours, Like do I have to accept it all the time?, its an elect to work afterall, I ask this because the reporting will ask me if I was available to work anytime during those days.

And last thing. I've worked for them this week and I know I have to report it, but I'm just still on the wait for my ei approval(a little over the 28 days now, an agent is suppose to contact me soon), they have not said anything about when is my waiting period going to start, is the earning for this week going to be deducted? And I'm still on severance pay. From what I know they've said they'll wait for that to run out then waiting period will come in if approved. Whatever I made this week will be deducted even if I'm waiting for calculation?

Thank you in advance.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
83 upvotes
I'm currently working a contract postion. It was supposed to be a 1 month contract but has dragged on for 6 months now and I have not been given an end date as of yet.

My wife is returning to work in a few weeks from her maternaty leave and we decided that its best if I stay home with the baby for a few months because 1) My current salary would basically cover only the cost of child care and gas to get to and from work and 2) My contract could be cancelled at any moment and we'd be really screwed if we had to pay for childcare and I was sitting at home. 3) My boss has resigned and is leaving in 2 weeks so there is a good chance my contract will be cancelled anyways since my role was strictly to assist him in his work.

My question is: Is it possible for me to quit this contract position and still qualify for ei or do I need my employer to cancel my contract.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
tofinoguy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 5:31 pm

Since I received 2 weeks severance, it appears that at most I would receive an extra 2 weeks of benefits if my antedate request is approved. But if this will affect my weekly benefits, it would probably end up not being worthwhile if I have to remain on EI for an extended period. The two weeks of benefits would soon be eaten by the lower amount of the weekly benefits for claims before January 1st, 2012.

My request has not yet been processed. Is there a way to ask that the effective date for the antedate request be January 1st, 2012 instead of December 23rd? Should I just ask that the request be cancelled completely? Or am I out of luck?

You can request "postdate" of your claim to the first week of 2012. I honestly don't think there is much difference if your claim start in Dec 2011 vs Jan 2012.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
Moz wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 5:45 pm
For the first point, the status was failure to report, but I spoke to someone regarding my claim, and I gave a reason, so depending on if they believe my reason is if I get back pay or not. Visit my MP and say what I messed up and have had no income for 2 months can ya help me out?
Next claimaints report? does that come in the mail, or am I obliged to go online and complete a new one in 2 wks or so?

For the Claimant's Report, did you receive a letter with 4 digit access code in the mail? If you have, read the instructions ;) . You have to file reports every two weeks, either online or over the telephone. No paper report will be mailed to you.

Your MP's office does have the power to expedite your claim. For someone who is without income for two months, I'd say chances are good they will help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
msclopez wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 11:34 am

And last thing. I've worked for them this week and I know I have to report it, but I'm just still on the wait for my ei approval(a little over the 28 days now, an agent is suppose to contact me soon), they have not said anything about when is my waiting period going to start, is the earning for this week going to be deducted? And I'm still on severance pay. From what I know they've said they'll wait for that to run out then waiting period will come in if approved. Whatever I made this week will be deducted even if I'm waiting for calculation?

Thank you in advance.

How long is your severance? If your severance pay is 2 months and you have some income during these two months, no benefits will be deducted since you won't receive any benefit during these two months. However, incomes you earned during the two-week waiting period will be deducted from your EI payments.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
FrogPrince wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 9:29 am
I'm currently working a contract postion. It was supposed to be a 1 month contract but has dragged on for 6 months now and I have not been given an end date as of yet.

My wife is returning to work in a few weeks from her maternaty leave and we decided that its best if I stay home with the baby for a few months because 1) My current salary would basically cover only the cost of child care and gas to get to and from work and 2) My contract could be cancelled at any moment and we'd be really screwed if we had to pay for childcare and I was sitting at home. 3) My boss has resigned and is leaving in 2 weeks so there is a good chance my contract will be cancelled anyways since my role was strictly to assist him in his work.

My question is: Is it possible for me to quit this contract position and still qualify for ei or do I need my employer to cancel my contract.

Every time you quit a job, you have to show just cause. In all honesty, why don't you wait two weeks and find out whether you'll be laid off? (and you will be approved for EI 100%). If you really want to quit due to the economic factor, read this: http://www.ae-ei.gc.ca/eng/board/favour ... ic_factors

However, it's a hard sell so I wouldn't try it if I were you. You might end up being jobless and EIless
Feb 22, 2012
14 posts
MISSISSAUGA
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 11:01 am
How long is your severance? If your severance pay is 2 months and you have some income during these two months, no benefits will be deducted since you won't receive any benefit during these two months. However, incomes you earned during the two-week waiting period will be deducted from your EI payments.

Thanks for all your help! Very much appreciated :)
Mar 7, 2011
24 posts
First and foremost thanks for opening this thread and answering questions.

My question is:

I know this is a longshot but I am wondering if I am eligible to claim EI. I have been working for a year and 3 months at a financial services firm downtown Toronto. I began my career in the North York office which was 30minutes from my home and I was content the commute and work. After 7 months or so my boss approached me and said that I had a choice between going to work in the downtown office or being laid off. This happend because one of the branches of this firm closed and the employee working from that location has more seniority than me and chose to work in the North York office and as a result, pushed me over to the downtown location. I chose to accept the offer because I had no other source of income and I needed work. After a few months I began dreading my work because of the commute (from 30 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes) and the workload has grown significantly. I recently decided to leave the firm and pursue further education so I explained to my boss my situation and told him I was going to pursue further education and he is fine with it. I have a good relationship with my boss and my team.

I suppose what i'm asking is: am I able to claim EI if the initial employment changes as much as it has in my situation? Can I claim if I am choosing to go to school in September and perhaps work part-time as well?

Thanks for your time.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
RFDNewb wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 3:29 pm
First and foremost thanks for opening this thread and answering questions.

My question is:

I know this is a longshot but I am wondering if I am eligible to claim EI. I have been working for a year and 3 months at a financial services firm downtown Toronto. I began my career in the North York office which was 30minutes from my home and I was content the commute and work. After 7 months or so my boss approached me and said that I had a choice between going to work in the downtown office or being laid off. This happend because one of the branches of this firm closed and the employee working from that location has more seniority than me and chose to work in the North York office and as a result, pushed me over to the downtown location. I chose to accept the offer because I had no other source of income and I needed work. After a few months I began dreading my work because of the commute (from 30 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes) and the workload has grown significantly. I recently decided to leave the firm and pursue further education so I explained to my boss my situation and told him I was going to pursue further education and he is fine with it. I have a good relationship with my boss and my team.

I suppose what i'm asking is: am I able to claim EI if the initial employment changes as much as it has in my situation? Can I claim if I am choosing to go to school in September and perhaps work part-time as well?

Thanks for your time.

1) If you plan to attend school and work on a part time basis, you are not available for full time work. You will be disentitled for unavailability.

2) I'd say you have a somewhat strong case if your commute time a day was increased to 3 hours from 1 hour. I assume your 1hr40min commute is one-way. If 1hr40min commute is roundtrip, then you won't have a case. It is assumed that one hours commute each way is the norm.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
83 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 11:05 am
Every time you quit a job, you have to show just cause. In all honesty, why don't you wait two weeks and find out whether you'll be laid off? (and you will be approved for EI 100%). If you really want to quit due to the economic factor, read this: http://www.ae-ei.gc.ca/eng/board/favour ... ic_factors

However, it's a hard sell so I wouldn't try it if I were you. You might end up being jobless and EIless

Thanks for the answer.
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Dec 1, 2011
4 posts
BURNABY
Great thread. I've tried calling 6 times, unfortunately I've been dropped every single time.
I have 2 questions.

1. I read that going to school will make you not eligible for EI. However, I have been reporting that I go to class 3-4 hours a week (Even though this is in the evening) and I have been receiving regular benefits. I had never had to go into an office to explain my courses. I am being honest and do not want to get penalized further down the road. Is this possible?

2. I am thinking of crossing the border for 12 hours to do some shopping/getting gas/groceries. This will be on a SUNDAY. Will this affect EI?

Thanks
Feb 1, 2012
71 posts
5 upvotes
DELTA
I have some questions, I've been on EI since June 2011 (I'm in BC) and am going back to work for a little over 2 months. My EI ends sometime in mid-May.

I will be getting laid off this job again on the 2nd week of May or so, will my EI have to be cancelled? I know ahead of time that this position is only for a little over 2 months, I am not sure what to do. And if I do have to cancel it completely, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
kenshin84 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 7:51 pm
Great thread. I've tried calling 6 times, unfortunately I've been dropped every single time.
I have 2 questions.

1. I read that going to school will make you not eligible for EI. However, I have been reporting that I go to class 3-4 hours a week (Even though this is in the evening) and I have been receiving regular benefits. I had never had to go into an office to explain my courses. I am being honest and do not want to get penalized further down the road. Is this possible?

2. I am thinking of crossing the border for 12 hours to do some shopping/getting gas/groceries. This will be on a SUNDAY. Will this affect EI?

Thanks

1) Taking training courses under x number of hours per week is permitted. Unfortunately I can't divulge the number specifically. You are perfectly safe. There is no need to contact them unless instructed to do so.

2) It won't.