Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
May 9, 2014
2 posts
Trois-Rivieres, QC
Hi, i cant beliieve the agent my husband has at Services Canada! He applied on 9 april and yesturday agent calls back. So rude and such a prick! My husband used to be a long distance truck driver for 26 years but almost died a couple years ago due to a severe desease which is common amongst truck drivers. EI agent said he doesnt care! That there are 50 truck driver jobs posted within a 1 hour drive radius and that he had to apply! WTF! He also said that even though my husband's salary is at least $20 an hour, they consider $13 an hour acceptable and he has to apply to jobs that pay only that too! Are they allowed to do this?! Also, its way past the 28 days and into an extra 5 days and are permitted another 5 days after that! I dont get it........he was fired for lack of work and he is being treated like skum, after 54 years old and always working! What can we do? Please help!
Jan 21, 2012
362 posts
61 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Hi!

Between January 2012 and September 2012 I was on EI and looking for work. After my EI was exhausted I found worked in late October 2012 and worked in the company up until February 2014 when I found another job that was more suitable to my career. Unfortunately, the employer didnt find me suitable for the position after working there from Early March and let me go at the end of April. I am still waiting for ROE from him. The Previous company gave me ROE. What do i do in my position? I have been on EI before and i am nervous that I may not get it seeing i was on it 2 years ago.

Thanks,
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
torontoguy07 wrote: Hi and thanks for the support in this thread. I guess my situation is not unique but interestingly I couldn't find anyone with the same case and it is not explained at ServiceCanada website:
Situation facts:
a) last day work 21 april.
b) Final payment received on April 30 payroll.
c) Final Payment amount is 3 times higher of the weekly EI benefit.
d) Employer missed including 5 days vacation on the last payment, so they will do it on May 15.

I understand there is a two week waiting period with no benefits.

1) The 2 weeks waiting period starts on April 21, correct?
2) Since the amount received on April 30 is 3 times higher than my weekly benefits, I guess it will erase my benefits in the 3 coming weeks; correct? (but no more after the 3 weeks, correct?)
3) I also noticed they missed paying me 5 days vacations in the April 30 payrolls, so they will do it on May 15 payroll. This is the main question: if that amount had been paid on April 30 as it should, it would not have impacted beyond the 3 weeks were benefits are annulled by that incoming money, but, now what? Is that payment attributable to April 15, despite being done on May 15, since it was a mistake of the employer? or service canada will not acknowledge that and will take it as of money received AFTER the waiting period and therefore impact my benefits beyond that?
1. Why was the final payment 3 times higher? If it's separation monies, they need to be allocated from when you stopped working. This will prevent your waiting period from starting the week of April 21.
2/3. The vacation pay will also be allocated from when you stopped working.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
pattypatpatster wrote: I was unemployed for a few months, recently started a full time summer job, but it's only temporary/for a few months. I was told that because the job isn't for very long, I should put on my claim that i have made earnings, but have not started a full time job and that it will not affect my hours/weeks of unemployment.

I am wondering which is the best route to take.
Say I have started a full time job and re-open the claim in a few months, or just keep this claim going and claim my earnings.
Thanks
If it's only a few months I'd just keep reporting so you don't need to worry about potential delays when you try to reactivate the claim when you've stopped working
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Appak02 wrote: Hi!

Between January 2012 and September 2012 I was on EI and looking for work. After my EI was exhausted I found worked in late October 2012 and worked in the company up until February 2014 when I found another job that was more suitable to my career. Unfortunately, the employer didnt find me suitable for the position after working there from Early March and let me go at the end of April. I am still waiting for ROE from him. The Previous company gave me ROE. What do i do in my position? I have been on EI before and i am nervous that I may not get it seeing i was on it 2 years ago.

Thanks,
Just apply. Shouldn't have an issue if you quit for a better job that was just as permanent
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
Simbahank wrote: Hi, i cant beliieve the agent my husband has at Services Canada! He applied on 9 april and yesturday agent calls back. So rude and such a prick! My husband used to be a long distance truck driver for 26 years but almost died a couple years ago due to a severe desease which is common amongst truck drivers. EI agent said he doesnt care! That there are 50 truck driver jobs posted within a 1 hour drive radius and that he had to apply! WTF! He also said that even though my husband's salary is at least $20 an hour, they consider $13 an hour acceptable and he has to apply to jobs that pay only that too! Are they allowed to do this?! Also, its way past the 28 days and into an extra 5 days and are permitted another 5 days after that! I dont get it........he was fired for lack of work and he is being treated like skum, after 54 years old and always working! What can we do? Please help!
On the application, did your husband state he is not available for work?

1) Get a medical documentation that due to the health issues caused by the profession, it is recommended your husband seeking other profession.
2) Has he been on EI lately?
3) Refer back to the last page; if you feel the Service Canada agent was unprofessional, complain to your MP's office.
Jun 4, 2007
3 posts
toronto
Thanks for replying. I had good salary. The maximum benefit for EI is about 500 per week, correct? my last payment to cover my income from April15 to April 21 was over 1500, hence why it would 3 times higher than a maximun EI weekly benefit.

So, my 3 questions still stand. It is not a matter of what they should have been done, but an understanding of the consequences of them paying me another 5 days in an extra payroll cycle. Will servicecanada understand hat payment was actually suppose to have come out on April 30 and not May 15 as it is being done?

clseea wrote: 1. Why was the final payment 3 times higher? If it's separation monies, they need to be allocated from when you stopped working. This will prevent your waiting period from starting the week of April 21.
2/3. The vacation pay will also be allocated from when you stopped working.
Aug 14, 2004
330 posts
188 upvotes
Burnaby
If Your on EI and you find a job that will give you a trial basis, but than after a few weeks they find you not acceptable and fire you.. would you be able to go back on the old EI claim.. I am getting the feeling that you might not be able to since it is your fault you don't satisfy their qualifications.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
fable wrote: If Your on EI and you find a job that will give you a trial basis, but than after a few weeks they find you not acceptable and fire you.. would you be able to go back on the old EI claim.. I am getting the feeling that you might not be able to since it is your fault you don't satisfy their qualifications.
If the position is not suitable, then it is not your fault. You can go back on the old claim.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
torontoguy07 wrote: Thanks for replying. I had good salary. The maximum benefit for EI is about 500 per week, correct? my last payment to cover my income from April15 to April 21 was over 1500, hence why it would 3 times higher than a maximun EI weekly benefit.

So, my 3 questions still stand. It is not a matter of what they should have been done, but an understanding of the consequences of them paying me another 5 days in an extra payroll cycle. Will servicecanada understand hat payment was actually suppose to have come out on April 30 and not May 15 as it is being done?
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant they paid you 3 times higher than you normally made.
They won't understand why the vacation pay was paid late unless the ROE explains it.
May 10, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
Here's a situation I haven't read about.

My reason code was an E09 (a newer code). It indicates a "Quit due to Employer Relocation." My previous employer shut down their office in Toronto, and moved the business to Kitchener. For obvious reasons, I wasn't willing to relocate to a city three hours away with no car. I applied on April 5th, and have yet to receive a response to my claim.

Do you anticipate I'll have issues collecting EI due to this situation?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
May 11, 2014
2 posts
Westmount, QC
Ok I got a question
I recently moved to Toronto because I got offered a Job here as supervisor. However it has not been 3 months yet I am not getting along with my boss and the environment is very stressful due to this issue. I have tried talking to him but I just seem to get attitude. In my last job before this I still have 37 weeks of EI payments to go threw. I would like to move back home and look for work there in Montreal as this environment is not for me. Am I eligible to voluntarily leave my current work place go back on EI and move back home to find work there.
Thanks for the feed back.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Skipper1877 wrote: Ok I got a question
I recently moved to Toronto because I got offered a Job here as supervisor. However it has not been 3 months yet I am not getting along with my boss and the environment is very stressful due to this issue. I have tried talking to him but I just seem to get attitude. In my last job before this I still have 37 weeks of EI payments to go threw. I would like to move back home and look for work there in Montreal as this environment is not for me. Am I eligible to voluntarily leave my current work place go back on EI and move back home to find work there.
Thanks for the feed back.
Exhaust reasonable alternatives. Speak to a doctor. Switch shifts. Switch teams. Speak to his boss. Take a leave of absence etc etc
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
kmad84 wrote: Here's a situation I haven't read about.

My reason code was an E09 (a newer code). It indicates a "Quit due to Employer Relocation." My previous employer shut down their office in Toronto, and moved the business to Kitchener. For obvious reasons, I wasn't willing to relocate to a city three hours away with no car. I applied on April 5th, and have yet to receive a response to my claim.

Do you anticipate I'll have issues collecting EI due to this situation?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Probably not, unless there was some sort of option to work remotely
Dec 6, 2005
422 posts
83 upvotes
Do casual school district employees qualify for ei benefits during summer school leave? (Asking for a friend who wants to know)
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
kayden wrote: Do casual school district employees qualify for ei benefits during summer school leave? (Asking for a friend who wants to know)
yes, provided he/she 1) has enough hours, and 2) is available and actively looking for work.
Dec 6, 2005
422 posts
83 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: yes, provided he/she 1) has enough hours, and 2) is available and actively looking for work.
What is the minimum amt of hours for those seasonal types of employees?

Thanks so much!
May 10, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
Thanks, I was getting a little worried as at this point it's been well over 28 days with no response. I figure I'll call back at the end of the week.