• Aug 15th, 2019 3:45 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9826 posts
3772 upvotes
Calgary
canadacomputers wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 1:46 am
I am current receiving EI, I need to travel to US for less than one day( leave at morning and come back at afternoon, will stay in US for 6-7 hours). It has to be a weekday. Will I lost part of my EI? If does, how much will government take?

thanks.
If it's under 24 hours, you will be fine. You need to call in to explain though.
Nov 14, 2013
15 posts
2 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 11:35 pm
You would have needed to exhaust reasonable alternatives to quitting. If no steps were taken to avoid quitting so you could remain employed, you won't qualify.
Even though I had an offer for a better paying job with full time hours, which I accepted and worked until I was laid off? That seems unreasonable. Am I now ineligible for EI until more than 52 weeks have passed since I quit that part time job?
Oct 2, 2013
6 posts
First off, Thank you guys for providing me a great deal of info. I really appreciate the help!

I finally got in contact with someone who said that my claim is not complete because they require the last two years of ROE's of where ever I worked. I thought it would be my final place of employment.

The company I worked to prior my last place of employment, I was sent to various locations (different work venues) and everytime on my paystub my EI contributions were reset to Zero. The EI officer said I need to obtain these ROE's (because my last place of employment I did not have necessary hours) but I am unable to because this company shutdown and I wasn't able to obtain my ROE. The company shut down and are now operating under a new business name.

Is there anything I can do? Are my past ROE's necessary? Can't I locate the total of my EI contribution/or hours needed by other means so I can show them? Going to my former company to ask for it now is out of the question, they run a shady business and I already have claims with the ministry of labour.

Basically if I can't obtain it, and it's not possible to; what can I do?

*update: They said if unable to obtain they will give me a temp one and that can take up to 3 weeks. Can I speed this up? I have been waiting since end of june
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9826 posts
3772 upvotes
Calgary
abulia wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 12:31 pm
Even though I had an offer for a better paying job with full time hours, which I accepted and worked until I was laid off? That seems unreasonable. Am I now ineligible for EI until more than 52 weeks have passed since I quit that part time job?
Yes. 3 months is too long between job offer and the start date.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9826 posts
3772 upvotes
Calgary
Samc1983 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 12:46 pm
First off, Thank you guys for providing me a great deal of info. I really appreciate the help!

I finally got in contact with someone who said that my claim is not complete because they require the last two years of ROE's of where ever I worked. I thought it would be my final place of employment.

The company I worked to prior my last place of employment, I was sent to various locations (different work venues) and everytime on my paystub my EI contributions were reset to Zero. The EI officer said I need to obtain these ROE's (because my last place of employment I did not have necessary hours) but I am unable to because this company shutdown and I wasn't able to obtain my ROE. The company shut down and are now operating under a new business name.

Is there anything I can do? Are my past ROE's necessary? Can't I locate the total of my EI contribution/or hours needed by other means so I can show them? Going to my former company to ask for it now is out of the question, they run a shady business and I already have claims with the ministry of labour.

Basically if I can't obtain it, and it's not possible to; what can I do?

*update: They said if unable to obtain they will give me a temp one and that can take up to 3 weeks. Can I speed this up? I have been waiting since end of june
Well, can you provide bank statements of your income from these jobs?
Oct 2, 2013
6 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 4:27 pm
Well, can you provide bank statements of your income from these jobs?
I do have some of my paystubs from these locations. I'm just in a situation where I cannot wait another 3 weeks.
Dec 5, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
Hi there,

I applied to re-active my sickness benefits while in a treatment facility in early August. The initial claim had gone through in February, I was paid 4 weeks worth and then returned to work. I provided the required documents, etc... It took until October before I was approved, after going through the 30 day waiting period, a 5 day waiting period, a 2 day waiting period, a 1 day waiting period, then back up to a 5 day waiting period. It was really quite ridiculous.

I had applied for an ante-date request, which was a nightmare to deal with and ultimately denied. After being declined and receiving some of my owed benefits from the start of my claim, there was another mix-up with my file in which I needed to deal with a processing agent AGAIN and provide an updated. This was seemingly resolved, but I was not able to check how many weeks I had remaining on my claims.

As a result of all this, I was not able to properly file for my rollover to regular benefits. I received no warning that my sickness benefits were going to run out from an agent or online. In fact, I received another letter in the mail prompting me to file a report on November 11th, which I attempted to do. The system said that there was an issue with my previous report still processing and that I was unable to file a report.

After calling in, they informed me that my sickness benefits had lapsed and no more payments were due. I have a completion certificate from the treatment program and a doctor's note saying that I am fit to return to work, which I have been told I have to drop off at a Service Canada center tomorrow. However, the agent on the phone has told me that there is up to a 3 week waiting period for that to be approved. My medical EI ran out on October 26th, I was not informed it had lapsed until the week following November 11th.

Is there not some way around this 3 week waiting period? I had to use my paid out benefits to pay for my treatment program, and am essentially screwed for money until I am approved and paid out on my regular benefits. I cannot wait until December 11th (more like the 13th as it takes 2 days for direct deposit) for a payment, and the last time I was told it was a 3 week wait it ended up being almost 2 months.

If I my file had been handled properly, I would have made my request to rollover to regular benefits weeks and weeks ago for a seamless transition. However, I was not properly informed, my online file had said I had 4 weeks remaining when I had none, and I need to pay rent on the 1st!

Can you give me ANY advice as to how to have my rollover from sickness benefits to regular benefits expedited?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9826 posts
3772 upvotes
Calgary
Samc1983 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 5:18 pm
I do have some of my paystubs from these locations. I'm just in a situation where I cannot wait another 3 weeks.
Visit your local Service Canada centre to provide them a copy of these pay stubs, then go to your MP's office to file a complaint asap.
Nov 19, 2013
3 posts
I just got layed off and was short 12hrs for a new claim but still was able to re activate old claim which was sickness benefits from beginning of the year. My question is its been 41 days since i re activated the old claim and a adjudication is still in the process. Why is it taking so long and will I be approved. I left my old job cause i got really sick and was hospilazied at during work i was picked up in ambulance etc. My doctor and my head shrink doctor refused me to return to work and gave me the nessecary paperwork for e.i. Im trying to get regular benefits from the old claim since i didnt have enough hrs for the new one plus i was told by the people at the office to go with the old claim so again my question was why is it taking so long? And if i am acceptable for it?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
travesty wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 5:42 pm
Hi there,

I applied to re-active my sickness benefits while in a treatment facility in early August. The initial claim had gone through in February, I was paid 4 weeks worth and then returned to work. I provided the required documents, etc... It took until October before I was approved, after going through the 30 day waiting period, a 5 day waiting period, a 2 day waiting period, a 1 day waiting period, then back up to a 5 day waiting period. It was really quite ridiculous.

I had applied for an ante-date request, which was a nightmare to deal with and ultimately denied. After being declined and receiving some of my owed benefits from the start of my claim, there was another mix-up with my file in which I needed to deal with a processing agent AGAIN and provide an updated. This was seemingly resolved, but I was not able to check how many weeks I had remaining on my claims.

As a result of all this, I was not able to properly file for my rollover to regular benefits. I received no warning that my sickness benefits were going to run out from an agent or online. In fact, I received another letter in the mail prompting me to file a report on November 11th, which I attempted to do. The system said that there was an issue with my previous report still processing and that I was unable to file a report.

After calling in, they informed me that my sickness benefits had lapsed and no more payments were due. I have a completion certificate from the treatment program and a doctor's note saying that I am fit to return to work, which I have been told I have to drop off at a Service Canada center tomorrow. However, the agent on the phone has told me that there is up to a 3 week waiting period for that to be approved. My medical EI ran out on October 26th, I was not informed it had lapsed until the week following November 11th.

Is there not some way around this 3 week waiting period? I had to use my paid out benefits to pay for my treatment program, and am essentially screwed for money until I am approved and paid out on my regular benefits. I cannot wait until December 11th (more like the 13th as it takes 2 days for direct deposit) for a payment, and the last time I was told it was a 3 week wait it ended up being almost 2 months.

If I my file had been handled properly, I would have made my request to rollover to regular benefits weeks and weeks ago for a seamless transition. However, I was not properly informed, my online file had said I had 4 weeks remaining when I had none, and I need to pay rent on the 1st!

Can you give me ANY advice as to how to have my rollover from sickness benefits to regular benefits expedited?
Contact your MP. There's rarely a "seamless" transition when converting benefits since there's multiple steps involved and more than one person dealing with your claim from start to finish.
Nov 19, 2013
3 posts
I just got layed off and was short 12hrs for a new claim but still was able to re activate old claim which was sickness benefits from beginning of the year. My question is its been 41 days since i re activated the old claim and a adjudication is still in the process. Why is it taking so long and will I be approved. I left my old job cause i got really sick and was hospilazied at during work i was picked up in ambulance etc. My doctor and my head shrink doctor refused me to return to work and gave me the nessecary paperwork for e.i. Im trying to get regular benefits from the old claim since i didnt have enough hrs for the new one plus i was told by the people at the office to go with the old claim so again my question was why is it taking so long? And if i am acceptable for it?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
gambl32 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 8:52 pm
Contact your MP. There's no way for any of us to tell with certainty if you'll be approved or not.
Nov 19, 2013
3 posts
clseea wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 9:39 pm
Contact your MP. There's no way for any of us to tell with certainty if you'll be approved or not.
So theres no advice on why it is taken so long n p.s on my roe it sayed quit but I contacted me employer and explained what my doctors advised me to do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8581 posts
1507 upvotes
Edmonton
gambl32 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 9:51 pm
So theres no advice on why it is taken so long n p.s on my roe it sayed quit but I contacted me employer and explained what my doctors advised me to do.
There's pretty much always a backlog. You're almost guaranteed to wait longer than the typical 28 day processing timeframe if there's anything contentious (quit/fired etc). It's a busy time of year. There's not enough staff. SC will need to contact your employers. Employers don't always respond in a timely manner. Plenty of reasons for the delay
Nov 20, 2013
9 posts
4 upvotes
Halifax
Hi

I've been living in Canada for 10 years, 1st as a student, and the last 4 years as a foreign worker. In this 4 years I have worked for 2 different employers, and managed to save some good money just in case I needed it.

My question is about claiming while on a (closed) work permit (WP).

So I was laid off on July 31st. Since I had good saving and was pretty convinced I was going to get a position I was being interviewed for, I didn't apply right away for EI benefits. Problem was that I was applying for an academic position, usually they take long to review the applications and to announce the hiring. I was invited to 2 interviews with the same prospective employer...but finally I didn't get the position. So in mid October I started to freak out, and started to gather info about applying to EI benefits, and it seems that, for all the usual confusion, it is even more confusing for people on a (closed) work permit, as I've found cases who were denied (even service Canada keep records of appeals and rejections) cause a landed immigrant on a closed WP may not qualify for benefits as some officers may say that "they can't actively look for jobs" since closed WP only authorize the employee to work for a specific employer. Now, on early June I applied for my permanent residency (I have enough history and tides in Canada so why not) and I got a "pre-aproval" (notice of assessment) in mid August. So, knowing that my claim may be rejected under my, then current, immigration status, but also knowing that with a "PR pre-aproval" one can apply for an "bridging open WP" (it's a fairly new program designed for those landed immigrants on the later stages of PR that may run into problems with a closed WP, that may expire while waiting for a final decision on the PR). The new "open" work permit (that allows me to work for anyone doing almost anything) finally arrived in mid October and I felt confident that now I was not going to be rejected.

I have a couple of questions for you.

As I've read, if all my papers are on rule (well, my employer didn't send my ROE until I asked him in early October), I may get EI benefits, however since I applied almost 3 months after my last day of work my rates will be lower than the regular last-52 weeks, is that correct?, any ideas how it is calculated?. Do you think that I may have a case for an "antedate" arguing that if I would I applied under a closed work permit my claim could have been rejected? (I can also mention that I assumed I could afford a month or two on my own and that I was already scheduled for an interview right after I stopped working).

This is my very first experience with EI (although I've been contributing for years), so I'm still very confused.

Thank you very much.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)