• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2019 10:39 am
Deal Addict
May 3, 2006
1477 posts
213 upvotes
Thank you oldmarriedguy and b166er1337

based on this

[QUOTE]Note: It is important to complete your reports no later than three weeks after each due date or your EI claim may be affected.[/QUOTE]

I can wait up to three weeks to complete the report?

I have applied on Nov1 and the status is still processing. How long is the wait?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9591 posts
3325 upvotes
Calgary
saku wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 11:25 am
Thank you oldmarriedguy and b166er1337

based on this

I can wait up to three weeks to complete the report?

I have applied on Nov1 and the status is still processing. How long is the wait?
Right now it is peak EI season, so it will be a long wait. It was already a long wait due to the sluggish economy and reduction in processing staff.
You should file reports every two weeks. Even if your claim is still processing, you still have to file it. Do it asap.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Jul 9, 2009
303 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Hi OP,

I have been working for 2 full years now full time and overtime as well in "JOB A". Next year in Jan, I am going for health care professional (HCP) related training for 4 months for "JOB B". Meaning I have to leave this "job A". So for 4 months I am out "JOB A" and don't know when I will get "job B".

Q.1 Can I get EI while I am training for "Job B"?

Q.2 If the answer is no to the first question, Can I get EI after my training of 4 months in MAY?

Q.3 Any advice, if the answer is NO to above questions.

Thanks in advance.
Dec 9, 2013
10 posts
Sutton
I did work for a relative for 3 months, wonder if that is acceptable. Works out to around 500 hours....
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9591 posts
3325 upvotes
Calgary
radiological wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 12:39 pm
Hi OP,

I have been working for 2 full years now full time and overtime as well in "JOB A". Next year in Jan, I am going for health care professional (HCP) related training for 4 months for "JOB B". Meaning I have to leave this "job A". So for 4 months I am out "JOB A" and don't know when I will get "job B".

Q.1 Can I get EI while I am training for "Job B"?

Q.2 If the answer is no to the first question, Can I get EI after my training of 4 months in MAY?

Q.3 Any advice, if the answer is NO to above questions.

Thanks in advance.
1) No. You are not available for work as you are in training. And you didn't quit job A with just cause as you do not have guarantee in job B.
2) No. As mentioned, job B is not a guarantee when you quit. This is similar to someone quitting a job to try out CBSA or military training but didn't make the cut. Unfortunately their new job is only conditional pending successful completion of the training. A conditional job offer is not the same as a guaranteed job offer, so you put yourself at risk of being unemployed, and therefore it's not just cause under EI.
3) The only advice is to really think twice about the career move. If it doesn't work out, EI won't be available for you.
Another advice is to ask for a 4-5 month leave of absence from job A so you can have a job to go back to. It's up to your company of course.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9591 posts
3325 upvotes
Calgary
ClairA154 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 1:05 pm
I did work for a relative for 3 months, wonder if that is acceptable. Works out to around 500 hours....
any other job you had in the last 2 years?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1949 posts
727 upvotes
ClairA154 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 1:05 pm
Does the relative have a business number and can provide you with a record of employment stating that you worked 500 hours of insurable employment?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8461 posts
1461 upvotes
Edmonton
Pochacco wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 7:15 am
I always select French when trying to call through customer service because the wait time is considerably less and because I can converse in French...

Here is a trick for those not getting through... instead of choosing English.. choose French and once someone comes on.. apologize and said you "accidentally" press French on your phone.. chances are, the person on the other end has no choice but to take the call :D A lot of the reps are perfectly bilingual and I doubt they can transfer you back to the queue (that is ... if there is a queue ) :lol:
That isn't true at all
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1949 posts
727 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 3:00 pm
That isn't true at all
I would have to agree. There are many French agents who aren't fluent in English.
Nov 3, 2009
482 posts
159 upvotes
So my wife is currently on EI Sickness Benefits, but in the new year will be going back to work on a gradual-return-to-work plan. She'll be working half-days, 4 days a week to start.

Does her EI completely stop when she goes back to work? She'll be making less than what she makes on EI Sickness Benefits -- do they "top up"?

How would she indicate this on her report?
Dec 9, 2013
10 posts
Sutton
yes, business for 9 years, payroll, can issue my ROE, but this is only proof of 52 week employment before my actual claim. Would not count as any monies towards my EI. They are asking for the mandatory 490.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8461 posts
1461 upvotes
Edmonton
ClairA154 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 4:40 pm
yes, business for 9 years, payroll, can issue my ROE, but this is only proof of 52 week employment before my actual claim. Would not count as any monies towards my EI. They are asking for the mandatory 490.
I'm not sure what the ongoing confusion is about... Submit all ROEs you have from the last 2 years. If you can't get all of them, contact Service Canada so they can request it, or at least create an interim ROE. If this is the case, provide T4s or pay stubs for supporting evidence
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8461 posts
1461 upvotes
Edmonton
Scott M. wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 3:59 pm
So my wife is currently on EI Sickness Benefits, but in the new year will be going back to work on a gradual-return-to-work plan. She'll be working half-days, 4 days a week to start.

Does her EI completely stop when she goes back to work? She'll be making less than what she makes on EI Sickness Benefits -- do they "top up"?

How would she indicate this on her report?
Any money earned will be deducted dollar for dollar if she continues on sick benefits. She won't be topped up.
Nov 3, 2009
482 posts
159 upvotes
Ah.. so we have a choice:

Option 1: Continue EI Sickness Benefits, for which she makes $498 a week but deducted from that amount is any amount she earns. This guarantees us $498 a week (in her case with 3/4 coming from her employer and 1/4 coming from EI), but it burns through any remaining EI Sickness Benefit weeks which may be needed should the gradual return to work not work out.

Option 2: Discontinue EI Sickness benefits and keep the spare weeks in our back pocket should something go wrong

Did I get that right?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
6153 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Dec 19th, 2013 3:21 pm
I would have to agree. There are many French agents who aren't fluent in English.
I said chances are and yes, I have experienced it myself.. when I would end up using some English words while talking to a French rep :) Sometimes, the conversation would turn into English :)