• Apr 17th, 2019 9:53 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
SoundGarden wrote:
Mar 21st, 2012 11:23 am
I was recently laid off, applied for EI benefits and began receiving payments. After searching very hard for work, the only position I was able to land required a 2 hour commute. I accepted the position in fear of not finding anything else, and didn't think the commute would really effect me. After a week, I can tell that the commute is hindering my job performance and on-top of that, I am breaking even with respect to the cost of commuting vs. my salary. Relocating to the area isn't an option and I am considering asking if my employer can have me transferred to an office closer to my home. If my employer is not able to have me transfer and I resign from the position, will I be able to continue receiving my EI benefits?

Thanks

Read this: http://www.ae-ei.gc.ca/eng/board/favour ... ic_factors

and this: http://srv130.services.gc.ca/indexjuris ... oo%20great

I'd say it's risky to quit.
Aug 22, 2011
177 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

I am currently on EI. In regards to the question "Were you outside of Canada during this period...". If I want to go down to the US for shopping for a day. Would I lose any benefits?

Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
epinephrine wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 3:37 pm
Hi,

I am currently on EI. In regards to the question "Were you outside of Canada during this period...". If I want to go down to the US for shopping for a day. Would I lose any benefits?

Thanks

Saturday & Sunday, nope. If it's Mon-Fri, depends on what time you departed and for how long.
Feb 15, 2011
12 posts
1 upvote
My friend works as a general labourer. A few months ago, his back began to give him serious problems so he took injury leave "without pay" from his job. Two weeks ago he returned to work for the first time in 3 months but feels his body can no longer cope with the demands of the job. His question is, if he quits because he can no longer fulfill the duties of his job is he eligible for EI benefits? How will EI determine his benefits entitlement since he has had only 1 paycheck in 3 months? Prior to his injury leave, he had regular paychecks for 8 months earning roughly $3000 per month or $750 per week.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
ayahausca wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 8:02 pm
My friend works as a general labourer. A few months ago, his back began to give him serious problems so he took injury leave "without pay" from his job. Two weeks ago he returned to work for the first time in 3 months but feels his body can no longer cope with the demands of the job. His question is, if he quits because he can no longer fulfill the duties of his job is he eligible for EI benefits? How will EI determine his benefits entitlement since he has had only 1 paycheck in 3 months? Prior to his injury leave, he had regular paychecks for 8 months earning roughly $3000 per month or $750 per week.

Did he get sickness benefits? It is just cause to quit when it is detrimental to one's health. Refer to digest 6.5.5: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_5 and 6.8.1 reason 7: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... nvironment

As long as your friend is capable of working (other than hard labour job), he can qualify for regular benefits.
Sep 27, 2004
246 posts
40 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks to your kindness to answer questions here.

I was laid off recently, applied for EI and got approved for 40 weeks. 2 weeks after, I was injured due to an accident and this led me unable to work or seek for work. My EI was transferred to Sickness/Injury EI accordingly. I was told I had 15 weeks of this type of coverage. My question is:

Does this give me another 15 weeks of period for me to get covered? or this 15 weeks sickness/injury EI period will be included as part of the 40-week regular EI?

Appreciate your help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
JayJJJ wrote:
Mar 26th, 2012 8:55 am
Thanks to your kindness to answer questions here.

I was laid off recently, applied for EI and got approved for 40 weeks. 2 weeks after, I was injured due to an accident and this led me unable to work or seek for work. My EI was transferred to Sickness/Injury EI accordingly. I was told I had 15 weeks of this type of coverage. My question is:

Does this give me another 15 weeks of period for me to get covered? or this 15 weeks sickness/injury EI period will be included as part of the 40-week regular EI?

Appreciate your help.

You can get up 50 weeks when you combine regular + another type of benefits. In your case, you may get 15 sickness + 35 regular benefits for a total of 50. Of course, this is assuming you use up all 15 weeks of sickness benefits and you recover in the 16th week to transfer your claim back to regular. Or you can go with 10 weeks of sick and 40 weeks of regular if you recover sooner.
Feb 15, 2011
12 posts
1 upvote
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2012 9:59 pm
Did he get sickness benefits? It is just cause to quit when it is detrimental to one's health. Refer to digest 6.5.5: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_5 and 6.8.1 reason 7: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... nvironment

As long as your friend is capable of working (other than hard labour job), he can qualify for regular benefits.

Thanks for the reply. My friend did not receive benefits because his sore back was not a direct result of work. Therefore, should he quit effective 2 weeks from now, how will EI determine his $$$ entitlement? As I said earlier, he worked for 8 straight months, earning $750 per week and just returned to work for 2 weeks ($1500) after taking 3 months off to nurse his bad back.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
ayahausca wrote:
Mar 26th, 2012 7:32 pm
Thanks for the reply. My friend did not receive benefits because his sore back was not a direct result of work. Therefore, should he quit effective 2 weeks from now, how will EI determine his $$$ entitlement? As I said earlier, he worked for 8 straight months, earning $750 per week and just returned to work for 2 weeks ($1500) after taking 3 months off to nurse his bad back.

You are thinking about WSIB. Your friend could definitely qualify for sickness benefits. All he needed was medical documentation which states he was unavailable for work due to health reasons. The cause of injury is irrelevant.

If he quit 2 weeks from now, an adjudicator will determine whether he quit with just cause. His EI benefit rate will be roughly 55-60% of his usual weekly earnings.
Mar 28, 2012
1 posts
NEWMARKET
Hello,

I started a new job 2 months ago, the job has turned out to be much more than I can physically
handle. It is constant physical labor for 9 hours with only 1/2 hour off for lunch. I would like
to ask to cut my hours down to 4 days a week from 5. If my boss says no and I cannot handle
what I am doing as I am exhausted from doing it for 2 months what can I do to be eligible for
unemployment. Also, there is no air-conditioning and extremely hot in the summer. I have a
medical condition that is triggered by the heat, my arms get inflammed, hot and itchy and I
scratch them until they bleed, the only thing that helps them is ice. If the heat is causing
this condition to be unbearable can I leave and get uic. Thank you very much for your help.
Mar 8, 2012
127 posts
20 upvotes
MOFFAT
With this post and the Canada Post thread both being near the top of the forum on a regular basis, I'm sure there has already been some cross over. But I did some quick perusing and a search and didn't find anything.

I recently resigned from my job in order to go On-Call Casual for Canada Post. I've been looking in to alternative incomes such as possibly working part time one day a week at my old job, and I have a job interview for another full-time position coming up soon. But if this fails would I be able to apply for EI if the work doesn't come in regularly at Canada Post?

If I am eligable would a part time job (10 hours/1 Day a week) negate said eligablility?

I'm poking around on the Service Canada website and I see this clause:
6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future
But I'm not sure if that would include willingly going in to a scenario where you are not guaranteed hours.

EDIT:
And if I were eligable, how long would I have to go without being called in to work before I could submit a claim for time off?
Mar 28, 2012
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi
I just got laid off from my fulltime job, and I applied for the EI. When I checked online, it says a decision will be made by April 3rd. I am still working as a part time labour (16hrs a week for roughly $168 gross). My part time employer cannot issue my ROE because I am still working with him, and service Canada required that.
So what can I do right now?
How many hours should I work as a part time labour (maximum)?
Thanks guys.
Mar 29, 2012
1 posts
CASTLEGAR
hello, i have been receiving sickness benefits for the past 15 weeks. my roe states that it was issued due to illness/injury and my employer paid out all monies owing to me when it was issued. my question is this... my doctor has determined that due to my illness, it would not be acceptable for me to return to my old job due to shifts and number of hours required. my employer cannot accomodate my requests for a modified schedule. exactly what is required for me to convert to regular benefits? i know the words 'medical documentation' have been used but what exactly does that comprise of? do i just need yet another doctors note? and do i need my employer to issue another roe? thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
thepaintedrooster wrote:
Mar 29th, 2012 7:28 pm
Hello,

I started a new job 2 months ago, the job has turned out to be much more than I can physically
handle. It is constant physical labor for 9 hours with only 1/2 hour off for lunch. I would like
to ask to cut my hours down to 4 days a week from 5. If my boss says no and I cannot handle
what I am doing as I am exhausted from doing it for 2 months what can I do to be eligible for
unemployment. Also, there is no air-conditioning and extremely hot in the summer. I have a
medical condition that is triggered by the heat, my arms get inflammed, hot and itchy and I
scratch them until they bleed, the only thing that helps them is ice. If the heat is causing
this condition to be unbearable can I leave and get uic. Thank you very much for your help.

You will need medical documentation to prove your statement. As long as a doctor recommends you to quit due to health reasons, and as long as you have exhausted all reasonable alternatives (reduction in hours, change of duty, transfer to a new location etc...), you will have just cause.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9650 posts
3422 upvotes
Calgary
Broodwich wrote:
Mar 29th, 2012 8:06 pm
With this post and the Canada Post thread both being near the top of the forum on a regular basis, I'm sure there has already been some cross over. But I did some quick perusing and a search and didn't find anything.

I recently resigned from my job in order to go On-Call Casual for Canada Post. I've been looking in to alternative incomes such as possibly working part time one day a week at my old job, and I have a job interview for another full-time position coming up soon. But if this fails would I be able to apply for EI if the work doesn't come in regularly at Canada Post?

If I am eligable would a part time job (10 hours/1 Day a week) negate said eligablility?

I'm poking around on the Service Canada website and I see this clause:
6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future
But I'm not sure if that would include willingly going in to a scenario where you are not guaranteed hours.

EDIT:
And if I were eligable, how long would I have to go without being called in to work before I could submit a claim for time off?

1) You can file for EI as soon as you have an interruption of earning (no pay, no work for a week) from any of your job. Doesn't mean you will qualify, but you need IOE to apply.

2) 6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future means full time work. Casual, on-call positions don't count.

There is another person in your situation (quit FT work for an on-call CP position) somewhere in this thread, and I believe he was approved. Read the whole thread and it may help you with your application.

3) If you are approved, then you just need to declare your earnings from your part time job. It won't affect your availability.