[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
goodkid wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2012 5:17 pm
Hello,

I just need a few words of advice about how I should proceed with a problem. Here's the issue,...I finished a YES contract on March.31st 2011 and then applied for and received EI benefits until I received my last payment in the middle of October,2011 when I stopped filing reports. The problem is, I started a new contract in the middle of September 2011 and filled out two online reports after the start date on my ROE... So I was over payed full benefits twice. I honestly am just an idiot and was just misinformed about my weekly EI reports. I didn't realize I was in the wrong and thought I stop filling out reports after I get paid or when I was sure I was going to stay. (I went into work on the 12th of September and was offered the job but wasn't sure I was going to stay for another contract. I started off just getting the paperwork ready and ended up just staying for another contract until March 2012, just a few days ago. After doing much research, 6 or 7 months after the fact, I realize I should not have filed those reports. I received money I was not entitled to. I just applied for EI benefits again with over 1200 hours on this contract. I had to call to eliminate my last claim which still had a few weeks payable on it, deciding a new claim is in my best interest. I'm a university graduate and I am willing and able to work, and am currently looking for opportunities. I put the proper start date on my new EI application but will I be red flagged when it shows I continued to receive payments for 3 or 4 weeks after that? Does this show when you file your income tax or when applying for new benefits? How can I be penalized or prosecuted? Can I do anything here to make amends...like, should I call someone and tell them what happened?...or wait until they contact me? I'm very regretful about this whole situation and it really wasn't done fraudulently or maliciously to get more money. I'm young and have never been on EI before and didn't even understand what the payments were. Like, I thought that my payments and my benefit rate was what I paid into it over the years and it didn't really matter how I received it. I know the questions directly asked "did you work" during the week and I lied and said no...not really thinking much about it. What do I do? I'm scared and I've never been in trouble with the law or government. Is this a big deal? Please help me. I'm so anxiety ridden now, I don't know what to do with myself. Thanks for any words of advice. I really am a good kid...just stupid I guess.

Well, just visit your local service Canada office, and tell them what happened. Tell them you were misinformed, made a mistake and was overpaid. You're willing to to repay these overpayment. At least your attempt will be documented on file. Whether an agent will follow through is another question. However, if a future investigation is conducted, you should be fine as your already made an attempt to amend the situation.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
I filed an antedate request about 2 months ago, as discussed earlier in this thread. It said only that they would try to review it before march 5th, or the next business day. Now it basically just says they have not made a decision yet. Would visiting my local EI office do anything? Or how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
redgrandam wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 12:56 am
I filed an antedate request about 2 months ago, as discussed earlier in this thread. It said only that they would try to review it before march 5th, or the next business day. Now it basically just says they have not made a decision yet. Would visiting my local EI office do anything? Or how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks!

go over my first post?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 1:39 am
go over my first post?

the part about 28 days? I thought that was just for initial filing, should other decisions also fall within 28 days?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
redgrandam wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 2:34 am
the part about 28 days? I thought that was just for initial filing, should other decisions also fall within 28 days?

yap, go for it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6033 posts
583 upvotes
SW Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 12:52 pm
yap, go for it.

Thx. Actually made it through on the phone. Waiting on a call back. Only a ten minute wait. Previously I've never even been able to make it to the que.
Jul 21, 2010
25 posts
I'm claimed EI in January but found a 2 month temp/contract job in March and have been reporting my hours but for the days I dont go to work, I get paid my EI benefit.

I wanted to know is there a way to pause my EI so I can re-activate it when I finish my contract in May? I want to save the number of weeks I get EI as I have already used up some weeks.

I looked at the EI website but its not helping much. I also report my hours online, so how can I let them know that I want to pause

From the website:

17. How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
captainc wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 9:17 pm
I'm claimed EI in January but found a 2 month temp/contract job in March and have been reporting my hours but for the days I dont go to work, I get paid my EI benefit.

I wanted to know is there a way to pause my EI so I can re-activate it when I finish my contract in May? I want to save the number of weeks I get EI as I have already used up some weeks.

I looked at the EI website but its not helping much. I also report my hours online, so how can I let them know that I want to pause

From the website:

17. How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.

On your next report, declare that you have found a full time job (they will ask you which day). If you want to stop collecting partial EI benefits, tell them you found the full time job on the Monday of the first week that you are reporting.
Apr 4, 2012
2 posts
Vancouver, British C…
Hello,

First of all, thank you for being on this forum and helping everyone on their EI questions!

Okay, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma... I'm currently 20ish weeks into my regular EI benefits. Back in the holiday season, I took on a seasonal part-time job. Now, when I was reporting my earnings, I did not know that the company would pay me out my commissions on each paycheque nor how much I had made. In early March, I received a letter of overpayment for a couple of weeks in the amount of around $300, which I sent back with my explanation. I also went on vacation for 4 days out of the country in mid-March and had to call the reporting line about the reason. When I called, the person told me that because my claim was under review, they could not process my report until it was completed and it would take up to 3 weeks time and was told to check the website for the most up-to-date details. On the website, the 3-week window was supposed to be end April 3rd. However, today (April 4th) the website just said "will be reviewed as soon as possible". When I called the automated EI hotline, the message now say until April 13th. Worst yet, another overpayment letter (of $50) was sent to me yesterday. My questions are:

1) I'm up for reporting again this Friday, claiming 0 hours (I am currently unemployed). Does this mean that I'm not getting any payments until this "review" process is over, or was just my last report delayed in process because I went out of the country? If yes, is there a way to speed up the process? I am in dire need of my payments right now to pay bills and to pretty much LIVE.
2) How long does it take for these reviews to take place? Will they just keep extending it week after week withholding my payments?
3) With the second letter of overpayment, when I send this out, will it take them another month to process and review it? In other words, is this "new" overpayment of $50 a new review, or are they tacking it onto the current review?
4) Am I in serious trouble here? Because those letters sound really intimidating about the penalizations and such... They're not going to cancel my EI benefits over $350, are they?
5) Lastly, what is the actual process in repaying the overpayments?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. I have been losing sleep over this and going crazy checking the Services Canada website over and over again...
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
psychodoughboy66 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 2:41 am

1) I'm up for reporting again this Friday, claiming 0 hours (I am currently unemployed). Does this mean that I'm not getting any payments until this "review" process is over, or was just my last report delayed in process because I went out of the country? If yes, is there a way to speed up the process? I am in dire need of my payments right now to pay bills and to pretty much LIVE.
2) How long does it take for these reviews to take place? Will they just keep extending it week after week withholding my payments?
3) With the second letter of overpayment, when I send this out, will it take them another month to process and review it? In other words, is this "new" overpayment of $50 a new review, or are they tacking it onto the current review?
4) Am I in serious trouble here? Because those letters sound really intimidating about the penalizations and such... They're not going to cancel my EI benefits over $350, are they?
5) Lastly, what is the actual process in repaying the overpayments?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions. I have been losing sleep over this and going crazy checking the Services Canada website over and over again...

1) All payments are suspended while a claim is being reviewed. If you can get ahold of the agent reviewing the first overpayment, tell them you receive the 2nd letter for OP, as well as your out-of-country status. He/she may be able to review all matters at once, thus avoid further delays.

2) Service Canada is understaffed and there is a lot of backlogs. Again, no payment will be issued while it's being reviewed. If you have waited over 3 weeks, go over the first post and call the numbers I listed.

3) n/a

4) No, worst case scenario is that you repay $350 back, plus some penalties. Since the overpayment is minor, you may need slightly more hours to qualify in the future.

5) Write a cheque and hand it to your local SC office.
Apr 4, 2012
2 posts
Vancouver, British C…
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 12:46 pm
1) All payments are suspended while a claim is being reviewed. If you can get ahold of the agent reviewing the first overpayment, tell them you receive the 2nd letter for OP, as well as your out-of-country status. He/she may be able to review all matters at once, thus avoid further delays.

2) Service Canada is understaffed and there is a lot of backlogs. Again, no payment will be issued while it's being reviewed. If you have waited over 3 weeks, go over the first post and call the numbers I listed.

3) n/a

4) No, worst case scenario is that you repay $350 back, plus some penalties. Since the overpayment is minor, you may need slightly more hours to qualify in the future.

5) Write a cheque and hand it to your local SC office.

Thanks for all you help. Now, at least I know what to do!
Apr 4, 2012
3 posts
NORTH YORK
Hi my EI claim was finally accepted around late February and I began to receive payments in chunks from my previous processed reports, but I still have 4 payments from the beginning of my claim that have not been reprocessed and keep getting skipped each payment date. Will I still be able to receive those weeks of benefits or are they now obsolete?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
Grapes25 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 6:40 pm
Hi my EI claim was finally accepted around late February and I began to receive payments in chunks from my previous processed reports, but I still have 4 payments from the beginning of my claim that have not been reprocessed and keep getting skipped each payment date. Will I still be able to receive those weeks of benefits or are they now obsolete?

More details are needed. What's your last day of work. When did you apply. Did you receive any separation monies, including vacation pay etc...
Jul 25, 2011
18 posts
3 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 9:35 pm
On your next report, declare that you have found a full time job (they will ask you which day). If you want to stop collecting partial EI benefits, tell them you found the full time job on the Monday of the first week that you are reporting.

and how will I notify them after I need to re-activate my benefits. What if they say that since you have a full time job already my EI hours reset to zero if I need it again. This is why I'm afraid to pause it

Thank you for your answers
Apr 4, 2012
3 posts
NORTH YORK
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 8:29 pm
More details are needed. What's your last day of work. When did you apply. Did you receive any separation monies, including vacation pay etc...

My last day of work was Nov 25th 2011 and I applied right away. No separate money or vacation pay. It took a while for my claim to be accepted due to being misinformed about being a student.

So on my payments page it shows the most recent payment: March 11, 2012 to March 24, 2012 = Paid and at the very bottom of the list weeks December 04, 2011 to December 17, 2011 to January 15, 2012 to January 28, 2012 (4 payments) as $0 net amount paid and not reprocessed.

So my 4 reports for Feb 8th 2012 don't seem to have been processed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)