Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
May 14, 2012
1 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
I've been off work since March 9 on sick leave; EI sick benefits at this point are set to expire around early July. My doctor wants to extend my initial 3 month period by an additional 3 months which would take me to September however I can't afford to be without a paycheck altogether (from July to Sept.). Is there any way to extend benefits if medically recommended?
May 13, 2012
6 posts
TORONTO
to clarify: its such a long trip by bus because the work is in Brampton while Im living near High Park in Toronto. Is there a rough guideline to determine if a commute is too long (by E.I standards)? During the winter I bused to work but at that time a co-worker was living along my route, so I was able to leave later and meet him on his way in. Thats no longer an option. again any help or insight is very useful, thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote: Separation monies = vacation pay, pay in lieu of notice and severance pay etc.

These separation monies will be allocated based on your average weekly earning. The average weekly earning is calculated from the Record of Employment (ROE). For example, if your weekly earning is $1000, and you receive $1500 vacation pay and $2500 severance pay, these monies will be allocated for 4 weeks, meaning no benefits will be payable during these 4 weeks.

Most of the separation monies are paid in a lump sum. It's not frequent to receive severance pay or pay in lieu of notice payments in instalments.

How about if the pay is 80 weeks? Can I still apply for EI benefits? Can I still get 45weeks?

TIA.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
andrew4321 wrote: How about if the pay is 80 weeks? Can I still apply for EI benefits? Can I still get 45weeks?

TIA.

The maximum extension is 52 weeks. Therefore, when you get 80 weeks of separation monies, benefits are only payable for week 82-104. Week 81 and 82 is your waiting period.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
rdnldsn wrote: I've been off work since March 9 on sick leave; EI sick benefits at this point are set to expire around early July. My doctor wants to extend my initial 3 month period by an additional 3 months which would take me to September however I can't afford to be without a paycheck altogether (from July to Sept.). Is there any way to extend benefits if medically recommended?

No. The maximum sickness benefit is 15 weeks unfortunately.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
welderwilly wrote: to clarify: its such a long trip by bus because the work is in Brampton while Im living near High Park in Toronto. Is there a rough guideline to determine if a commute is too long (by E.I standards)? During the winter I bused to work but at that time a co-worker was living along my route, so I was able to leave later and meet him on his way in. Thats no longer an option. again any help or insight is very useful, thanks.

Unfortunately, according to EI digest and jurisprudence, it is one's responsibility to commute to work. It's one thing a company relocates causing commute distance to be too great, it's another when you can no longer go to work (or take 2 hours each way). My advise is look for somewhere closer to where you live. If you quit, it's very unlikely an adjudicator will deem it just cause.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Why are you providing this "service" outside of official Government means? It's concerning on multiple levels.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: Why are you providing this "service" outside of official Government means? It's concerning on multiple levels.
all the information is for reference only; you shouldn't trust everything on the Internet.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: all the information is for reference only; you shouldn't trust everything on the Internet.

No kidding, which is why it's concerning you've identified yourself as an employee of the Government of Canada and have assumed a role of authority on the matter of EI.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: No kidding, which is why it's concerning you've identified yourself as an employee of the Government of Canada and have assumed a role of authority on the matter of EI.

Whatever. Nowhere have I identified myself as a current GOC employee.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2968 posts
685 upvotes
clseea wrote: Why are you providing this "service" outside of official Government means? It's concerning on multiple levels.

Why do you care? Have you ever tried to call EI? Some people don't have 30mins+ to sit around on a phone to ask simple questions.

My question, I have just under 200 insurable hours is it possible to EI?
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12143 posts
2764 upvotes
Guelph
b166er1337 wrote: all the information is for reference only; you shouldn't trust everything on the Internet.

Ignore that poster. Your doing a great service here for many redflagger. You deserve a huge thanks and appreciation!
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Mar 8, 2012
127 posts
20 upvotes
MOFFAT
Broodwich wrote: She said the same thing on the phone.

I called CP and asked for a ROE, I could sense her shrugging and asked "shortage of work?" and she said she put in the request, and it would be done in about a week and a half. Is it normal to have a ROE issued while you're still an active employee? I'm just hoping I didn't inadvertently fire myself.
Declined. Oh well, not exactly reeling in shock.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
blzn wrote: Why do you care? Have you ever tried to call EI? Some people don't have 30mins+ to sit around on a phone to ask simple questions.

420 is the minimum hours needed, and that's assuming you have LFA hours and live in regions where the unemployment rate is 13.1% or higher.

Regional Rate of Unemployment Required Number of Hours of Insurable Employment in the Last 52 Weeks
6% or less 700
6.1% to 7% 665
7.1% to 8% 630
8.1% to 9% 595
9.1% to 10% 560
10.1% to 11% 525
11.1% to 12% 490
12.1% to 13% 455
13.1% or more 420
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: Whatever. Nowhere have I identified myself as a current GOC employee.

Your original post strongly implies it.
If not, it's probably better you don't act as though you are. You're assuming a position of authority on the matter.
If you aren't a current GoC employee, your advice isn't current.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
blzn wrote: Why do you care? Have you ever tried to call EI? Some people don't have 30mins+ to sit around on a phone to ask simple questions.

I care because it's important for people needing EI to get up to the date current information. If the OP isn't a current employee, he's not giving you up to date advice. If he is a current employee, he should be ensuring the proper channels are used to get the information required.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2466 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
clseea wrote: Your original post strongly implies it.
If not, it's probably better you don't act as though you are. You're assuming a position of authority on the matter.
If you aren't a current GoC employee, your advice isn't current.

Check the start date of the thread - at the time maybe the OP was a GOC
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote: I care because it's important for people needing EI to get up to the date current information. If the OP isn't a current employee, he's not giving you up to date advice. If he is a current employee, he should be ensuring the proper channels are used to get the information required.

If any of the information I provided is out dated, other current Service Canada employees would call me out and correct it. If you read every page, you'll know there is a few of us here. In addition, the principles behind EI/UI hasn't changed much in the last 20 years.

edit...and you are right... I had a stupid typo in the first sentence in the firs post.
May 15, 2012
1 posts
OTTAWA
HI,

I've quite my job for over 2 years and have been outside the country for that time period;
I've applied for EI and my claim was denied for not having sufficient number of hours for the past 12 months;
I want to appeal the decision as I did work for over 2 years at my last job and have collected enough hours;
what would you suggest as a good reason (reasons) to write down for this appeal process?

Thank You
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
ottawauser11 wrote: HI,

I've quite my job for over 2 years and have been outside the country for that time period;
I've applied for EI and my claim was denied for not having sufficient number of hours for the past 12 months;
I want to appeal the decision as I did work for over 2 years at my last job and have collected enough hours;
what would you suggest as a good reason (reasons) to write down for this appeal process?

Thank You

There is no ground to appeal. In some specific circumstances, qualifying period can be extended for up to 12 months. Since standard QP is 12 months + 12 month extension (unlikely for you), you still need some insurable hours in the last 24 months to qualify. In your case, you have none. Unfortunately you don't qualify for EI at this time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)