• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Sep 16, 2014
261 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver
can anyone help explain this this Digest of Benefit Entitlement:

6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future

The fact that the promised employment did not come about or ultimately proved to be short term should not count against the person if he or she acted in good faith. A reasonable alternative in such circumstances could be for the person to try to withdraw the resignation and return to the old job as soon as they learn the new employment, for reasons beyond their control, has fallen through or would be for a shorter period.

Does that mean if this situation does occur to you, in order to qualify for a valid claim they expect you to ask for your old job back? What would happen if the terms left from the old job is bad and the previous employer is not happy that you left?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
d1gdug wrote: can anyone help explain this this Digest of Benefit Entitlement:

6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future

The fact that the promised employment did not come about or ultimately proved to be short term should not count against the person if he or she acted in good faith. A reasonable alternative in such circumstances could be for the person to try to withdraw the resignation and return to the old job as soon as they learn the new employment, for reasons beyond their control, has fallen through or would be for a shorter period.

Does that mean if this situation does occur to you, in order to qualify for a valid claim they expect you to ask for your old job back? What would happen if the terms left from the old job is bad and the previous employer is not happy that you left?
Just tell them that you tried to ask for the old job back and never got a response.
Nov 15, 2014
2 posts
I worked for a great company and was laid off in august.
I got my claim approved roughly 5 Weeks ago - 2 weeks later I received my first payment.
Right after my first payment I obtained fulltime employment which put my claim on hold.

The job was not what it was made out to be. I was told I would be working within the Toronto core, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I made it clear to the person that hired me that traveling with my reno tools is next to impossible without having my full license and a car.
After a few weeks of working there I ended up quitting as I had learned I had been deceived. None of my jobs were local so I was traveling 1.5-2 hours on transit each way with my 40 pounds of tools. Travel time and fare was not covered.
I also learned that all employees were expected to work 6 days a week, 9.5 hours a day and that the company does not pay overtime. I only found out about them not paying overtime on my first real cheque with the company (two days before I quit). The last straw was being told I needed to travel roughly 3 hours each way to a job site with no reimbursement. I quit after my manager would make no effort at all to help me find someone that I could potentially car pool with.
If I would have known any of these things before taking employment there is no way I would have gave up my benefits for this job. I was actually making less working 115 hours every two weeks then I was when on benefits. The situation sucks.. I definitely would have found a more suitable job and am only hoping I can get back on e.I to do just that.

I reapplied for my e.I benefit and explained my situation in the "quit with cause" section.

I'm wondering what you think my chances are in getting my claim renewed, how long it usually takes them to look at a reapplication, and how long it would usually take for me to receive a payment again if it was approved?

25yr old and going grey right now from the stress. I just broke my foot so I can't even think about trying to bring in money, welfare is not enough to even cover just my rent, and due to the unfortunate circumstances I've had over the last few months I literally only have $200 to my name and no friends or family that I can go to for help. Just crossing my fingers and hoping karma does me good at this point.
Nov 24, 2007
206 posts
23 upvotes
Kaon
My EI goes to the end of Feb (the actual pay weeks not the claim, the claim itself ends in May 2015). If I take a seasonal job, part time retail job that ends in Jan, can I pause payouts and then resume them when they let me go? Or does taking a part-time, seasonal job ruin the claim? I know you can still get benefits while working, but I rather pause them so the 17 weeks I have left will blanket while I find another job because Jan-March is REALLY HARD to get work especially in retail.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
Nagii wrote: My EI goes to the end of Feb (the actual pay weeks not the claim, the claim itself ends in May 2015). If I take a seasonal job, part time retail job that ends in Jan, can I pause payouts and then resume them when they let me go? Or does taking a part-time, seasonal job ruin the claim? I know you can still get benefits while working, but I rather pause them so the 17 weeks I have left will blanket while I find another job because Jan-March is REALLY HARD to get work especially in retail.
That's a good idea. When you start the seasonal job, declare you've found fulltime work on your claimant's reports. Your EI will be dormant. After the work is done, reapply online and the claim will be reactivated.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
RyanB969 wrote: I worked for a great company and was laid off in august.
I got my claim approved roughly 5 Weeks ago - 2 weeks later I received my first payment.
Right after my first payment I obtained fulltime employment which put my claim on hold.

The job was not what it was made out to be. I was told I would be working within the Toronto core, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I made it clear to the person that hired me that traveling with my reno tools is next to impossible without having my full license and a car.
After a few weeks of working there I ended up quitting as I had learned I had been deceived. None of my jobs were local so I was traveling 1.5-2 hours on transit each way with my 40 pounds of tools. Travel time and fare was not covered.
I also learned that all employees were expected to work 6 days a week, 9.5 hours a day and that the company does not pay overtime. I only found out about them not paying overtime on my first real cheque with the company (two days before I quit). The last straw was being told I needed to travel roughly 3 hours each way to a job site with no reimbursement. I quit after my manager would make no effort at all to help me find someone that I could potentially car pool with.
If I would have known any of these things before taking employment there is no way I would have gave up my benefits for this job. I was actually making less working 115 hours every two weeks then I was when on benefits. The situation sucks.. I definitely would have found a more suitable job and am only hoping I can get back on e.I to do just that.

I reapplied for my e.I benefit and explained my situation in the "quit with cause" section.

I'm wondering what you think my chances are in getting my claim renewed, how long it usually takes them to look at a reapplication, and how long it would usually take for me to receive a payment again if it was approved?

25yr old and going grey right now from the stress. I just broke my foot so I can't even think about trying to bring in money, welfare is not enough to even cover just my rent, and due to the unfortunate circumstances I've had over the last few months I literally only have $200 to my name and no friends or family that I can go to for help. Just crossing my fingers and hoping karma does me good at this point.
1) get medical documentation and convert your claim to Sickness benefits for up to 15 weeks.
2) when your foot is recovered, convert claim back to regular benefits.

Review this clause http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ges_hiring and if you miss any information, provide additional explanation to Service Canada.

Also if you are in dire needs, visit your MP's office ASAP to file a complaint and tell them you are in dire financial needs.
Oct 26, 2008
3 posts
Husband was terminated late September. No misconduct or anything like that, a mistake was made by several people and since he was the manager the company decided that the responsibility was on him. Fair enough. The claim was supposed to be decided by the 27th and there was no change this morning so he called. The woman he talked to told him there was a discrepancy with his ROE, he had his start date wrong by about 2 weeks so she changed that and told him they should have called him to have that cleared up when they first found it. They also hadn't even started the investigation, which I assume means calling the store to confirm the reason he was fired. She ended up red flagging his file and told him that if they haven't made a decision to call back on the 5th of November.

So what is the red flag, exactly? Does it just mean he gets pushed to the top of the list or does it get sent to another department? If they still haven't finished the claim by the 5th can we go ahead and call our MP? I had to call her years ago to get my mat leave claim approved but that was after 13 weeks of constant calling EI and getting nowhere. Is there a process for what you have to do before the MP will help?
Oct 27, 2014
2 posts
Lethbridge, AB
Hello,

I was searching the internet for an answer on an EI related question and I saw this thread come up in the search results, so I am hoping that you can please help me.

My scenario is this:

I live in Alberta and I have a EI claim currently open in which my "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement" will be paid out and over by mid Jan 2015.

However, I have school starting Jan 5, 2015 for my 2nd year welding apprenticeship.

These are my concerns and questions:

1. How do I go about receiving EI during the time that I will be going to school? I do not have enough work hours between my current claim and the time school starts in Jan 2015.

2. Am I entitled to receive EI while going to school for a Red Seal Apprenticeship in this case?

3. Can I just extend my current claim or do I have to reapply for a new one?

4. What about the last week or so of my current claim in regards to my situation changing from ready to work to attending school?

Thank you very much for your help in this matter. :D
Oct 27, 2014
1 posts
Milton, ON
I was told by my local Service Canada office that if I was sick during a reporting period I am able to claim up to 4 weeks of causal sick benefits. If it went over the 4 weeks my claim would automatically be switched over to a Sick Benefit claim. My question is - are those 4 weeks deducted from my regular EI benefit entitlement?
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
lauriedalbello wrote: I was told by my local Service Canada office that if I was sick during a reporting period I am able to claim up to 4 weeks of causal sick benefits. If it went over the 4 weeks my claim would automatically be switched over to a Sick Benefit claim. My question is - are those 4 weeks deducted from my regular EI benefit entitlement?
No. So you can see how some people milk the system. 3 week regular, 2 week sickness, 3 week regular, 3 week sickness.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
rachel1496 wrote: Husband was terminated late September. No misconduct or anything like that, a mistake was made by several people and since he was the manager the company decided that the responsibility was on him. Fair enough. The claim was supposed to be decided by the 27th and there was no change this morning so he called. The woman he talked to told him there was a discrepancy with his ROE, he had his start date wrong by about 2 weeks so she changed that and told him they should have called him to have that cleared up when they first found it. They also hadn't even started the investigation, which I assume means calling the store to confirm the reason he was fired. She ended up red flagging his file and told him that if they haven't made a decision to call back on the 5th of November.

So what is the red flag, exactly? Does it just mean he gets pushed to the top of the list or does it get sent to another department? If they still haven't finished the claim by the 5th can we go ahead and call our MP? I had to call her years ago to get my mat leave claim approved but that was after 13 weeks of constant calling EI and getting nowhere. Is there a process for what you have to do before the MP will help?
in this case it simply means an increased priority. Yes visit the MP's office to file a complaint.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
AlbertaWelder wrote: Hello,

I was searching the internet for an answer on an EI related question and I saw this thread come up in the search results, so I am hoping that you can please help me.

My scenario is this:

I live in Alberta and I have a EI claim currently open in which my "Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement" will be paid out and over by mid Jan 2015.

However, I have school starting Jan 5, 2015 for my 2nd year welding apprenticeship.

These are my concerns and questions:

1. How do I go about receiving EI during the time that I will be going to school? I do not have enough work hours between my current claim and the time school starts in Jan 2015.

2. Am I entitled to receive EI while going to school for a Red Seal Apprenticeship in this case?

3. Can I just extend my current claim or do I have to reapply for a new one?

4. What about the last week or so of my current claim in regards to my situation changing from ready to work to attending school?

Thank you very much for your help in this matter. :D
First of all it has to be approved apprenticeship program; the school will know. If you don't have enough hours, then you are out of luck.

You can't extend the current claim. As for your last week, it depends if the apprenticeship program is approved. If not, you may not be entitled to EI due to the schooling.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1373 posts
664 upvotes
North York
I originally applied for 35 weeks of pat/mat leave and my husband will not be taking any. Now, I would like to take the full 52 weeks... how do I extend it with service Canada?

Also, I will need to work about 20 days during my mat leave to maintain my work status. To my understanding, I am allowed to work but the pay will be deducted dollar to dollar from EI. Am I correct?

thanks
Oct 27, 2014
1 posts
Surrey, BC
I had a claimant information session that I had to reschedule due to having a job interview at the same time. I need to reschedule on Thursday for the same reason (the woman on the phone was understandably incredulous.) but I was told I can't and she told me to leave my cellphone number and someone would get back to me. Should I wait for the call?

I'd rather not cancel the interview but I can't afford to lose my EI benefits over not going to an information session.
Oct 27, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I was temporarily laid off 8 weeks ago due to a shortage of work but have been promised to return to my job after in about 10-11 weeks.

I've started collecting EI and am scheduled to attend my first Claimant Information Session. I would like to know if I am required to look for work since I already have a job to go back to in this short time. I'm concerned about asking EI in case they decide to cut me off for not looking for work and I am really depending on the temporary EI income. Or should I just be sending out resumes anyway?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Aritzia wrote: I originally applied for 35 weeks of pat/mat leave and my husband will not be taking any. Now, I would like to take the full 52 weeks... how do I extend it with service Canada?

Also, I will need to work about 20 days during my mat leave to maintain my work status. To my understanding, I am allowed to work but the pay will be deducted dollar to dollar from EI. Am I correct?

thanks
Call in to change your entitlement.
Earnings are deducted dollar for dollar during maternity. 50% up to your earnings threshold on parental.
You'll also need to get rid of the reporting exemption and complete reports on your own.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Tigercut wrote: I had a claimant information session that I had to reschedule due to having a job interview at the same time. I need to reschedule on Thursday for the same reason (the woman on the phone was understandably incredulous.) but I was told I can't and she told me to leave my cellphone number and someone would get back to me. Should I wait for the call?

I'd rather not cancel the interview but I can't afford to lose my EI benefits over not going to an information session.
I'd be proactive and call back
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
manolang wrote: I was temporarily laid off 8 weeks ago due to a shortage of work but have been promised to return to my job after in about 10-11 weeks.

I've started collecting EI and am scheduled to attend my first Claimant Information Session. I would like to know if I am required to look for work since I already have a job to go back to in this short time. I'm concerned about asking EI in case they decide to cut me off for not looking for work and I am really depending on the temporary EI income. Or should I just be sending out resumes anyway?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Yes, your job is to now look for a job.
Oct 27, 2014
2 posts
Lethbridge, AB
b166er1337 wrote: First of all it has to be approved apprenticeship program; the school will know. If you don't have enough hours, then you are out of luck.

You can't extend the current claim. As for your last week, it depends if the apprenticeship program is approved. If not, you may not be entitled to EI due to the schooling.
Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify... If my schooling is an "approved apprenticeship program", then can I still receive EI while going to school?

Thanks
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
AlbertaWelder wrote: Thanks for the feedback.

Just to clarify... If my schooling is an "approved apprenticeship program", then can I still receive EI while going to school?

Thanks
Yes, and the school will issue apprentice a code to provide to Service Canada.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)