Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 12:11 pm
Sep 30, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Thank you so much for your service, b166er1337.

I live in Toronto, and I never applied for E I before. I was working 35 hours a week since sept 7,2011 and I was laid off on march 28, 2012. I was only working through a temp agency, is that enough hours to qualify for E.I?
I also worked part time at another agency for a month from July 11, 2011 to august 12, 2011

Those were the two employment I submitted on my application, but I have to send in MY ROE and I still haven’t been able to do so, but I wont be receiving payment until I submitted the ROE , am I correct?

One last issue is that I also worked as a census enumerator starting May 30, 2011, and I resigned from the position on August 7, 2011 because there were hardly any more work to be done.

The census collection period officially ended on August 23, 2012. By the time I resigned on August 7, 2012 , the remaining work is really convincing people who have yet to complete the voluntary census long form to complete it despite previous refusals

I didn’t include my position as a census enumerator because I resigned on my own, but in reality, I really felt it was because I couldn’t get anymore work done as nobody was willing to fill out their census and I couldn’t justify my work hours if I cant return any completed census form to the office so I was “forced” to quit.

My question is, can I still include my work as a census enumerator even though I submitted the application already ? and will they count that job since I wasn’t fired technically?
------------

Another more problematic issue, which you might not have even experienced is that I am a pre op transsexual and my driver license is F , but I was advised that there is a gender marker on my social insurance card, and its M because the federal government wouldn’t legally change the birth gender of a person until after a sex reassignment surgery.

I didn’t really even want to apply for E.I as a male, but I did it anyways. I will apply E.I as a cat if I have to, because I feel that I did pay into my employment insurance and I should be getting it since I got laid off.

My concern is , when the E.I people check if I am looking for a job or what not, they are going to address me as a mister, but I work as a female and very few people even would know about my birth gender, so I am sensing that there will be some problems ahead if the E.I people “out” me as transgender to prospective employers, or previous employers, which would not be good for me, but I guess theres nothing I could do?

Do you know if the E.I people are sensitive to this issue at all or will I have to explain I am a transgender female everytime I tried to get my payment or whatnot? *SIGH*

I am very stressed, sorry.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
askmegirl wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 6:25 pm
Thank you so much for your service, b166er1337.

I live in Toronto, and I never applied for E I before. I was working 35 hours a week since sept 7,2011 and I was laid off on march 28, 2012. I was only working through a temp agency, is that enough hours to qualify for E.I?
I also worked part time at another agency for a month from July 11, 2011 to august 12, 2011

Those were the two employment I submitted on my application, but I have to send in MY ROE and I still haven’t been able to do so, but I wont be receiving payment until I submitted the ROE , am I correct?

One last issue is that I also worked as a census enumerator starting May 30, 2011, and I resigned from the position on August 7, 2011 because there were hardly any more work to be done.

The census collection period officially ended on August 23, 2012. By the time I resigned on August 7, 2012 , the remaining work is really convincing people who have yet to complete the voluntary census long form to complete it despite previous refusals

I didn’t include my position as a census enumerator because I resigned on my own, but in reality, I really felt it was because I couldn’t get anymore work done as nobody was willing to fill out their census and I couldn’t justify my work hours if I cant return any completed census form to the office so I was “forced” to quit.

My question is, can I still include my work as a census enumerator even though I submitted the application already ? and will they count that job since I wasn’t fired technically?
------------

Another more problematic issue, which you might not have even experienced is that I am a pre op transsexual and my driver license is F , but I was advised that there is a gender marker on my social insurance card, and its M because the federal government wouldn’t legally change the birth gender of a person until after a sex reassignment surgery.

I didn’t really even want to apply for E.I as a male, but I did it anyways. I will apply E.I as a cat if I have to, because I feel that I did pay into my employment insurance and I should be getting it since I got laid off.

My concern is , when the E.I people check if I am looking for a job or what not, they are going to address me as a mister, but I work as a female and very few people even would know about my birth gender, so I am sensing that there will be some problems ahead if the E.I people “out” me as transgender to prospective employers, or previous employers, which would not be good for me, but I guess theres nothing I could do?

Do you know if the E.I people are sensitive to this issue at all or will I have to explain I am a transgender female everytime I tried to get my payment or whatnot? *SIGH*

I am very stressed, sorry.

EI could care less about the sex on file, its never a factor.

in terms of your hours, you should have enough hours. however, you said you quit a position with census, if you tell them, or if they already have a ROE for census, which they probably do, then you will have to show just cause for quiting, otherwise the hours you've accumulated before quitting will not count towards your total hours. and only the hours worked after the date of quiting
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 1:55 am
If you are given 3 month severance pay, your EI will kick in on the 4th month. You still have to apply right away though.

Yes, as long as you're in Canada and you're available for work. (wink)

You can transfer EI to another province. If just driving though States, you won't be entitled to benefits for the time you're outside of Canada (except for Saturday and Sunday).

this is incorrect. if you drive through the states because it's faster and spend less than 24hours outside the country, then you will still get paid for the time. Once u spend more than 24hours then you start geting a disentitlement.

also you are allowed to go to the states for gas or groceries or just visiting family, but again its less than 24hours
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 9:42 pm
this is incorrect. if you drive through the states because it's faster and spend less than 24hours outside the country, then you will still get paid for the time. Once u spend more than 24hours then you start geting a disentitlement.

also you are allowed to go to the states for gas or groceries or just visiting family, but again its less than 24hours

I respectfully disagree with the above statement. No where in the EI Act or EI digest allows this 24 hour out of country allowance. This is not CBSA tax exemption for shopping out of the country.

For example, how can someone be available for work for that day when they are out of the country from 8am to 5 pm?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 9:38 pm
EI could care less about the sex on file, its never a factor.

in terms of your hours, you should have enough hours. however, you said you quit a position with census, if you tell them, or if they already have a ROE for census, which they probably do, then you will have to show just cause for quiting, otherwise the hours you've accumulated before quitting will not count towards your total hours. and only the hours worked after the date of quiting

EI could care less about your gender, I agree. But it's safer to put a note on file that you are a transgender and would like to be treated as female rather than male. I came across many cases, but this is the first time I heard something like this. Electricute is correct here. You should have enough hours to qualify.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1237 posts
386 upvotes
Hope you can help answer this question

Was working full time had a daughter February 25th, after being born we found out she had Congenitial Diaphragmatic Hernia it's a serious birth defect 50% of the children do not survive this. Our daughter has been at Sick Kids hospital since, I applied for compassionate care benefit and received I planned to go back to work April 1st so I notified service Canada and did so. After discussion with fiancée and seeing status of my daughters health and realizing still (still in hospital) I decided it best on April 9th to quit my job and focus entirely on the health of my daughter. I reapplied for benefits this time for parental benefits instead of compassionate care since compassionate care is only 6 weeks. Fiancée doesn't work so I can take the full parental period.

I called service Canada they said they don't have the authority to renew my benefit over the phone because it was changing from compassionate care to parental and that I would just have to wait until my new application goes through. My question is will i have an issue getting parental benefits now because I quit my job? Is attending to my sick child considered just cause? Will the fact that I was on compassionate care prior (having had doctor sign the form saying my daughter was at risk of death) help my "just cause" for leaving?

Thanks in advance.
Dec 11, 2010
280 posts
280 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2012 12:42 am
You need to have interruption of earnings (7 days of no work and no pay) to apply. If you worked full time until the end of March, and immediately started working part time hours beginning of April, then you won't be eligible to apply.

Okay I finished March 31 and just started back part time April 12. I should be entitled to full benefits right?
Apr 13, 2012
2 posts
WINDSOR
I just filled out my application for EI benefits and I have included my last two employers. I forgot to add my third employer in the previous year as the job was short lived and I quit due to health reasons after a month (though I did not receive any medical statements saying I should do so). How would I go about to amend my application and will I still receive benefits? I am quite worried in all honesty. I did not have any malicious intent with this just made a mistake.

This job lasted a month and I found another job a month after which was before I started my 6 month contract that just expired.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out with this. I'm really worried.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
u0dcameron wrote:
Apr 14th, 2012 3:05 am
I called service Canada they said they don't have the authority to renew my benefit over the phone because it was changing from compassionate care to parental and that I would just have to wait until my new application goes through. My question is will i have an issue getting parental benefits now because I quit my job? Is attending to my sick child considered just cause? Will the fact that I was on compassionate care prior (having had doctor sign the form saying my daughter was at risk of death) help my "just cause" for leaving?

Thanks in advance.

If you're applying for parental benefits, you will be fine. You only need to show just cause when applying for regular benefits. Best of luck to you kid.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2012 6:49 pm
There is no field to enter your email address. The major reason is due to security, but personally I think they're just slow adopters to new technology.

They will find out the severance pay and separation monies from your ROE. However, it's best if you call in and report these monies.

Thanks so much, I was worried I messed up the application. Now to wait for the thing in the mail.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2012 1:02 am
I respectfully disagree with the above statement. No where in the EI Act or EI digest allows this 24 hour out of country allowance. This is not CBSA tax exemption for shopping out of the country.

For example, how can someone be available for work for that day when they are out of the country from 8am to 5 pm?

sorry, its not in the digest that you would use. it is in the standard procedure though. when you fill out on your report Y to being outside of canada, then it asks were u available, u say yes.

it will most likely ask you to call in to EI, which you do, and u say i was outside of canada getting groceries or getting gas, or simply passing through. EI completes the report as outside of canada less than 24hrs and pays the full amount.

110% sure
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
blibby13 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2012 11:41 am
I just filled out my application for EI benefits and I have included my last two employers. I forgot to add my third employer in the previous year as the job was short lived and I quit due to health reasons after a month (though I did not receive any medical statements saying I should do so). How would I go about to amend my application and will I still receive benefits? I am quite worried in all honesty. I did not have any malicious intent with this just made a mistake.

This job lasted a month and I found another job a month after which was before I started my 6 month contract that just expired.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me out with this. I'm really worried.

should call and let them know you have a 3rd employer. as stated above if you quit for whatever reason, you have to show just cause. if it were for medical reasons, u pretty much have to prove that was the case, supporting meidcal etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
destroyer2000 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2012 8:59 am
Okay I finished March 31 and just started back part time April 12. I should be entitled to full benefits right?

u can apply no problem, but u were off for only 2 weeks, which would count as your waiting period. meaning you would only get paid depending on what u report in your reports. depends on your allowable, and benefit rate, but might get something small.
Apr 13, 2012
2 posts
WINDSOR
Electricute wrote:
Apr 14th, 2012 10:06 pm
should call and let them know you have a 3rd employer. as stated above if you quit for whatever reason, you have to show just cause. if it were for medical reasons, u pretty much have to prove that was the case, supporting meidcal etc.

So, from what I understand, without just cause, I will not be eligible for EI even though I have worked for 7 months after?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3601 posts
245 upvotes
blibby13 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2012 10:31 pm
So, from what I understand, without just cause, I will not be eligible for EI even though I have worked for 7 months after?

no if u worked 7 months after then you'll be fine, just with the 7 months of hours. if its without cause then the hours before u quit dont count. but worst cause scnerio 7 months u stiill get it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)