Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 7:37 am
Sep 23, 2013
13 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
May 4th, 2014 7:06 pm
They don't know. Service Canada is not NSA.
I understand that they will know that I was in school the last four months. Is there a forum or a document that I can submit with my online claim that would state I was in school? Would a atendate claim forum be the correct document for this situation, or is there a different method of letting them know I was in school?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1558 upvotes
Edmonton
VHumpher wrote:
May 5th, 2014 8:46 am
Does EI have access to bank and credit card accounts/statements. If no, then can they know if someone has made direct deposit to your bank account.
No
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1558 upvotes
Edmonton
Deks1989 wrote:
May 5th, 2014 9:08 am
I understand that they will know that I was in school the last four months. Is there a forum or a document that I can submit with my online claim that would state I was in school? Would a atendate claim forum be the correct document for this situation, or is there a different method of letting them know I was in school?
No. You won't be paid if you were in school.
May 4, 2014
2 posts
Birdton, NB
I have a question. With this new Working while on Claim (WWC) Pilot project. How does this work if I only find a part time job that say pays me only 150.00 per week. My e.i claim right now pays me 436 per week (877 every 2) is it worth getting looking for a part time job, will it affect what amount I receive every 2 weeks from e.I? it is my first time on e.i so I don't have any experience with collecting and working at the same time. any help is appreciated.
May 4, 2014
6 posts
, ON
I have been off on Short Term Disability since January 16, 2014. My claim was unsupported since March 1, 2014. I appealed the decision and was told on April 17, 2014 that the decision of non-support was being upheld. I now have to repay the money I received from my employer for the period of March 1 - April 17. I applied for EI on May 1, 2014. Do I have to claim the money I received from March 1 - April 17 as income?
Dec 30, 2012
2 posts
MONKTON
I have a question about sick benefits. I am in a job where I am laid off for the summer. I will be having surgery in late June and will be on short term disability through my employer (well thru Manulife actually). I was once told by EI that I could not be on sick benefits EI if I had a access to a short term disability plan from work. I am wondering if this would still apply in this case...where there is a time frame where I would normally be unemployed by my employer after a STP leave was in place. I guess, in other words, can EI reject my application because I have a STD...and I guess in return, could Manulife reject my application from the point of my normal last day worked on if I would normally be in EI at that time.
Clear as mud??? LOL
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1558 upvotes
Edmonton
JodT74 wrote:
May 5th, 2014 4:12 pm
I have a question about sick benefits. I am in a job where I am laid off for the summer. I will be having surgery in late June and will be on short term disability through my employer (well thru Manulife actually). I was once told by EI that I could not be on sick benefits EI if I had a access to a short term disability plan from work. I am wondering if this would still apply in this case...where there is a time frame where I would normally be unemployed by my employer after a STP leave was in place. I guess, in other words, can EI reject my application because I have a STD...and I guess in return, could Manulife reject my application from the point of my normal last day worked on if I would normally be in EI at that time.
Clear as mud??? LOL
Thanks
STD is considered a first payer, so you'll be asked why you didn't apply for STD if you're eligible to. STD should pay more than EI, so it would make sense to apply for it before EI. Some companies have a lengthy waiting period to collect STD, so some people apply for EI while they're waiting for STD to kick in.
May 4, 2014
1 posts
East St Paul, MB
Hi,
Can you please help me? I carried a heavy box going upstairs to our new apartment two weeks ago. My problem is I injured my back and symptoms of herniated/slipped disc is what I am experiencing right now. I have one full time job ( does not interfere much with my workand one part time job. I work at a restaurant every weekend which requires me to lift heavy stuffs(my part time job) and yesterday I could not perform my work very well anymore since I have back pains and pain radiates to my lower limbs, shoulder pains and headache too. Tomorrow I have an apointment with the doctor.
My question is, if the diagnosis of my back problem is slipped/herniated disc, can I apply for an EI sickness benefit? I would like to quit my job because I am afraid that my condition will get worst. I am sure that I will undergo physicsl therapy and doctor would recommend some months to rest. I know that my injury did not happen during work but is it possible I can still claim sickness benefit? To those who will reply thank you and I appreciate it very much.
May 4, 2014
8 posts
One question.

I applied for EI benefits for the first time in my life. I was dismissed "with cause" after 11 years with the same company.

I had filed 4 discrimination/retaliation complaints with the AHRC in the 15 months leading up to my dismissal.

AHRC "accepted" my final complaint after termination as further "retaliation."

It has been almost 2 months. EI is still reviewing my file.

I realize fired with cause is almost always an automatic 'no' but there were open discrimination files with the AHRC when I was dismissed.

What should my next steps be and should I have an issue getting EI if it has been almost 7 weeks with no approval yet? (Nor has it been declined)

thx very much
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1558 upvotes
Edmonton
scsettle wrote:
May 5th, 2014 5:29 pm
One question.

I applied for EI benefits for the first time in my life. I was dismissed "with cause" after 11 years with the same company.

I had filed 4 discrimination/retaliation complaints with the AHRC in the 15 months leading up to my dismissal.

AHRC "accepted" my final complaint after termination as further "retaliation."

It has been almost 2 months. EI is still reviewing my file.

I realize fired with cause is almost always an automatic 'no' but there were open discrimination files with the AHRC when I was dismissed.

What should my next steps be and should I have an issue getting EI if it has been almost 7 weeks with no approval yet? (Nor has it been declined)

thx very mu
Call in to escalate the issue. Provide whatever documentation you have to support your side of the dismissal.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1106 posts
8 upvotes
when someone get laid off (seasonal worker) and get the maximum EI money (for example 800 a week ) and have kids. how much money will that person be getting? heard that EI will only pay half ( in this case 400) , is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7390 posts
843 upvotes
GTA
When I had my baby, she stayed in the NICU for 3 weeks before coming home. When I filled out my EI application online, it said to call them if the baby was hospitalized. I had read on the website that you could defer your benefits until the baby was released from the hospital and the time period to receive benefits could be extended by the number of weeks the baby was hospitalized. I called them and they told me it wasn't possible as my claim would end 52 weeks after it started regardless of whether or not the baby was hospitalized. I asked if I could defer benefits for 3 weeks at the start of the claim and extend the claim by 3 weeks and was told no. I mentioned the website indicated maternity benefits could be extended up to 52 weeks and parental leave up to 104 weeks due to a hospitalization but the rep said my claim had to end 52 weeks after it started even if the baby was hospitalized.

Now I am re-reading the info online and am confused as it seems to indicate otherwise. Was the info I was given on the phone correct and if so, how would the extension mentioned below be possible - does the hospitalization have to extend into the parental leave portion to allow an extension?

Re: Maternity benefits:

If your newborn is hospitalized, the 17-week timeframe can be extended by the number of weeks your child is in the hospital, up to 52 weeks after the date of birth. You could receive 15 weeks of benefits, but the payments may be suspended until your child leaves the hospital. If you received maternity benefits before your child's birth and you want to receive the remaining benefits after the child comes home, contact us.

Extension of period — child in hospital

(2) If, during the period of 17 weeks following the date of confinement, the child who was born is hospitalized, the period is extended by the number of weeks during which the child is hospitalized.

Marginal note:Limitation

(3) An extension under subsection (2) must not result in the period being longer than 52 weeks.

Re: Parental Leave

If your newborn or newly adopted child is hospitalized, the 35-week timeframe can be extended by the number of weeks your child is in the hospital.

(2.2) If the child referred to in subsection (1) is hospitalized during the period referred to in subsection (2), the period is extended by the number of weeks during which the child is hospitalized.

Marginal note:Limitation

(2.3) An extension under subsection (2.1) or (2.2) must not result in the period being longer than 104 weeks.

When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Jan 5, 2014
4 posts
So here's a few important question for the experts that I'd very much appreciate some insight on.

In late May I will be done simultaneous casual contracts with the government at which point in time I will apply to go on EI.

1. I was on EI in December until January when I found a job. Do I continue that claim with additional weeks for the extra work I've done, or do I start a new claim?

2. I'm also moving out of my apartment and staying at a temporary location. The girlfriend and I are looking for work anywhere -- we'd actually like to move from our region of permanent residence.

With that in mind, is it possible to claim EI while being out of your region of PR given you're looking for work.

I ask because I will be back out west to see family for two weeks but also applying for jobs.

Moreover, the girlfriend and I were thinking of driving around the Maritimes and applying for work (while yes, enjoying the sights).

What's the rules in this regard? I don't really have a region of PR ultimately since the location I'm in isn't the only place I'm willing to find work.

3. If I'm not eligible to earn EI outside my region of PR, do I lose EI for that time period or is it delayed until I'm back in my region?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Cheers
May 4, 2014
8 posts
clseea wrote:
May 6th, 2014 1:25 am
Call in to escalate the issue. Provide whatever documentation you have to support your side of the dismissal.
Thanks. I did call in and they said someone would call back within 5 days as it has now been 7 weeks. She said that EI will likely talk to the employer.

Beyond the 5 accepted human rights files that show discrimination was reviewed and accepted and going to investigation, what else should I provide?

She said that Service Canada will likely call him and/or his lawyer. They will slander me no doubt trying to justify their dismissal when I had just filed complaints 3+4 with the Alberta Government 8 weeks prior.

Do I just sit and wait? I could pile up the documentation to show I had all positive reviews leading to my dismissal.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4023 upvotes
Calgary
dagger88 wrote:
May 6th, 2014 2:39 am
when someone get laid off (seasonal worker) and get the maximum EI money (for example 800 a week ) and have kids. how much money will that person be getting? heard that EI will only pay half ( in this case 400) , is that correct?
EI pays 55% of your average wage up to $514 a week.