• Dec 14th, 2019 9:26 am
Mar 8, 2012
127 posts
20 upvotes
MOFFAT
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 30th, 2012 4:27 pm
Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
With this post and the Canada Post thread both being near the top of the forum on a regular basis, I'm sure there has already been some cross over. But I did some quick perusing and a search and didn't find anything.

I recently resigned from my job in order to go On-Call Casual for Canada Post. I've been looking in to alternative incomes such as possibly working part time one day a week at my old job, and I have a job interview for another full-time position coming up soon. But if this fails would I be able to apply for EI if the work doesn't come in regularly at Canada Post?

If I am eligable would a part time job (10 hours/1 Day a week) negate said eligablility?

I'm poking around on the Service Canada website and I see this clause:
6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future
But I'm not sure if that would include willingly going in to a scenario where you are not guaranteed hours.

EDIT:
And if I were eligable, how long would I have to go without being called in to work before I could submit a claim for time off?

1) You can file for EI as soon as you have an interruption of earning (no pay, no work for a week) from any of your job. Doesn't mean you will qualify, but you need IOE to apply.

2) 6.5.7 Reasonable Assurance of Another Employment in the Immediate Future means full time work. Casual, on-call positions don't count.

There is another person in your situation (quit FT work for an on-call CP position) somewhere in this thread, and I believe he was approved. Read the whole thread and it may help you with your application.

3) If you are approved, then you just need to declare your earnings from your part time job. It won't affect your availability.

So when I quit my original job it was with the idea that I would still work on Saturdays. Now they have laid me off from working Saturdays. Does this change anything?
I applied the other day anyway. Just wondering if it changes the game. I doubt I'll get approved anyway. And now I'm more or less unemployed. Sigh.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
notsureofitiall wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 7:59 am
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to do this thread.

I was laid off in December and was unable to collect EI due to my severance package. I recently received a job working from home where I'll be making min wage. The company is international and has yet to ask me for any information beyond my name + address. I am trying to find out the risks of not reporting this income for EI/CRA purposes so that I can collect EI while working. Could you provide some more insight into this? What would I need to find out from the company to find out if they will be reporting this income?

If you choose not to report the income and was discovered for the fraud, you have to repay everything back, plus penalties (we are looking at 25%, 50% or 100% penalties of the overpayment).
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
webworm wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 10:12 am
Hi,
I have a quick question. I crossed into the US last friday at 3:15PM and returned Sunday evening since my daughter had a dance competition in the US. Going to answer YES to being out of the country Monday to Friday. I don't see any spot to make a note when I crossed the border when filing report. Will this delay payment of benefits or will EI check automatically to see when I crossed into the US and then process payment?
Thanks

Answer YES to out of country. At the end of your report, you will be instructed to call the call centre to provide further information. You NEED to contact the call centre, explain the situation, and your report will be processed. Afterward you will receive the EI payment.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
Broodwich wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 3:41 pm
So when I quit my original job it was with the idea that I would still work on Saturdays. Now they have laid me off from working Saturdays. Does this change anything?
I applied the other day anyway. Just wondering if it changes the game. I doubt I'll get approved anyway. And now I'm more or less unemployed. Sigh.

Interesting. So you quit the full time job but remained a part time employee with the original employer, and now you're laid off from the Sat shift. I wouldn't say it changes anything significantly, but let us know how your claim turn out.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2204 posts
583 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 3:47 pm
Answer YES to out of country. At the end of your report, you will be instructed to call the call centre to provide further information. You NEED to contact the call centre, explain the situation, and your report will be processed. Afterward you will receive the EI payment.

Thanks for the reply. I actually called in before I filed the report online and she made a note when I left and when I returned and told me there would be no impact to payment since I was outside of the country for less than 24hrs.
Jul 25, 2011
18 posts
3 upvotes
I'm claimed EI after working and getting laid off for one year in December 2010 but have been working on part time where my contract will be ending soon and I have enough EI hours. As my first EI claim which I am receiving will be ending soon should I claim another EI at the same time when I finish my contract? or do I claim EI for my 2nd job after the EI benefits end from the 1st job? I think you have to let the EI office know as soon as you get laid off?
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
how do you know how much you put in your EI premiums and how would you know how many weeks you would earn EI for if you get laid off. Also if you cancel your EI reports for leaving the country and then reactivate it, do those weeks that you didnt use EI, would you be able to use it for the next month
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
toronto771 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 5:37 pm
I'm claimed EI after working and getting laid off for one year in December 2010 but have been working on part time where my contract will be ending soon and I have enough EI hours. As my first EI claim which I am receiving will be ending soon should I claim another EI at the same time when I finish my contract? or do I claim EI for my 2nd job after the EI benefits end from the 1st job? I think you have to let the EI office know as soon as you get laid off?

You should just file application online. Your old claim, once finished, will automatically be converted to a new claim. Provide me the details (end week of the old claim, last day of work for the part time job) so I can give you more information.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
extrax wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 7:23 pm
how do you know how much you put in your EI premiums and how would you know how many weeks you would earn EI for if you get laid off. Also if you cancel your EI reports for leaving the country and then reactivate it, do those weeks that you didnt use EI, would you be able to use it for the next month

For the # of weeks, check the following link (Table #3): http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... html#long1

To answer question 2, the answer is yes. You don't "cancel" your EI report; you declare that you will be out of country and not be available for work. You can claim your unused weeks when you come back to Canada.
Jul 25, 2011
18 posts
3 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2012 8:55 pm
You should just file application online. Your old claim, once finished, will automatically be converted to a new claim. Provide me the details (end week of the old claim, last day of work for the part time job) so I can give you more information.

End week of 1st claim: Last week of September
Last day of work for part time job with over 600 hours: 2nd week of May

I wanted to know if I should file as soon as my part time job finished or wait till 1st claim benefits run out?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
toronto771 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2012 10:50 pm
End week of 1st claim: Last week of September
Last day of work for part time job with over 600 hours: 2nd week of May

I wanted to know if I should file as soon as my part time job finished or wait till 1st claim benefits run out?

Oh, so your old claim is ongoing? Are you getting any benefits now?
Jul 25, 2011
18 posts
3 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 2:20 am
Oh, so your old claim is ongoing? Are you getting any benefits now?

Yes, its from the old claim and the benefits come partially (for the days I dont work)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10016 posts
4033 upvotes
Calgary
toronto771 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 12:42 pm
Yes, its from the old claim and the benefits come partially (for the days I dont work)

If your claim is currently active, there is nothing to apply for. When this claim is ending in September, file another application then.
Apr 21, 2012
3 posts
KELOWNA
Hello

I have been on ei sick benefits since February do to stress and depression. My benefits are scheduled to run out on May 5th and my doctor and counsellor have both said I absolutely should not go back to the same job and company. When I had my emotional crash back in February, my doctor said, I was done at work for at least three months, maybe more and that I was in high risk of a physical crash. I took the doctor's note into my work and my boss said there's no way they can let me have 3 months off, they would give me 3 weeks and if that didn't work, they would have to let me go. This only added to the stress and depression....I could barely tell up from down at the time and now I had to make a decision to return or not in three weeks. Two weeks in....I saw my doctor and he said...there's no way I could return. I informed my work that I'm sorry but I can't make in 3 weeks and that I was taking the doctors advice and the time to get well. I received an email from my boss saying he was sorry that I was going through this but understood. I assumed that he was following through with replacement. So I asked for my two weeks severance. He then said, oh that three weeks was only a "see where I'm at" date, and then asked me if I was formally resigning...in which I replied no. In an email shortly after that conversation, he said that he said my leaving for sickness, had let him down and he felt resentment towards me......didn't help my stress. Since then he has had very little contact with me and I have not officially resigned.

I received a letter from Revenue Canada saying my sick benefits were coming to an end...I called and explained that my doctor is insisting that I do not return to work and not return to the same type of work. The rep. said to call back on May 4th and I will have to answer some questions for my sickness ei to be converted to regular e.i.

I want to make sure that I have everything I need to insure that there is an easy transition. Also with not returning to the same job field....it doesn't leave me many options....I'm 56, no college and have been in the entertainment industry for 36 years. So my options are limited.

So my questions are

Should I formally resign? Which is exactly what my boss wants so he doesn't have to pay my severance.

Would I possibly be eligible for retraining?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long winded explanation.
Apr 21, 2012
1 posts
BURNABY
Hi, my mom really needs some help with EI questions...

She was hospitalized end of Dec. 2011. I helped her apply for sickness EI which is due to run out end of April.
However, she has been away from work for too may months, and a lot has changed at her workplace. Her employer no longer needs her. Her employer is a very nice lady and feels very apologetic about it.

Can she apply for regular EI? Will this be a new claim? I checked the Canada Service website. To apply for a new claim, she has to work another minimum 665 insurable hours from the start of a previous benefit period to the start of her new benefit period (the qualifying period), which in this case doesn't seem to apply, because she is let go after the previous sickness claim. Even if her employer lets her back, it might only be a couple of months and that won't be enough hours to start a completely new regular EI claim. What can she do? I can't seem to find any information on the website about switching to a different kind of EI. :cry:

She wants to apply for regular EI while NOT putting her employer in a awkward position. My mom is worried that it might be illegal for employers to lay off people after they return to work from sickness leave. She and her employer actually have a good relationship. She doesn't have a problem with the company because she understands things do change.

Also, her illness is still bearable now but a year or more down the line, it might be getting severe and stop her from working. Can she apply for CPP after getting regular EI (assuming she can qualify)?

Thank you so much!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)