[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
hummer5963 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 2:59 pm
Hello

I have been on ei sick benefits since February do to stress and depression. My benefits are scheduled to run out on May 5th and my doctor and counsellor have both said I absolutely should not go back to the same job and company. When I had my emotional crash back in February, my doctor said, I was done at work for at least three months, maybe more and that I was in high risk of a physical crash. I took the doctor's note into my work and my boss said there's no way they can let me have 3 months off, they would give me 3 weeks and if that didn't work, they would have to let me go. This only added to the stress and depression....I could barely tell up from down at the time and now I had to make a decision to return or not in three weeks. Two weeks in....I saw my doctor and he said...there's no way I could return. I informed my work that I'm sorry but I can't make in 3 weeks and that I was taking the doctors advice and the time to get well. I received an email from my boss saying he was sorry that I was going through this but understood. I assumed that he was following through with replacement. So I asked for my two weeks severance. He then said, oh that three weeks was only a "see where I'm at" date, and then asked me if I was formally resigning...in which I replied no. In an email shortly after that conversation, he said that he said my leaving for sickness, had let him down and he felt resentment towards me......didn't help my stress. Since then he has had very little contact with me and I have not officially resigned.

I received a letter from Revenue Canada saying my sick benefits were coming to an end...I called and explained that my doctor is insisting that I do not return to work and not return to the same type of work. The rep. said to call back on May 4th and I will have to answer some questions for my sickness ei to be converted to regular e.i.

I want to make sure that I have everything I need to insure that there is an easy transition. Also with not returning to the same job field....it doesn't leave me many options....I'm 56, no college and have been in the entertainment industry for 36 years. So my options are limited.

So my questions are

Should I formally resign? Which is exactly what my boss wants so he doesn't have to pay my severance.

Would I possibly be eligible for retraining?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long winded explanation.

1) Unfortunately, when you are unable to work due to health reasons, the onus of the loss of employment is on you. Therefore, the employer would not have to pay severance pay since you weren't being dismissed per se.

2) Your sickness claim is running out. The only way to keep receiving payment is to convert your claim to regular benefits. In cases like yours, there are two issues SC agents will focus: a) whether you have just cause quitting a job and b) your availability for work.

You absolutely have just cause since your doctor recommends you not to return to the same employer. The issue then is your availability. Can you work (in other field) where you're mentally capable of working, and are you actively looking for work? If the answer is yes to both questions, then your availability will be allowed.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
danaichuns wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 8:11 pm
Hi, my mom really needs some help with EI questions...

She was hospitalized end of Dec. 2011. I helped her apply for sickness EI which is due to run out end of April.
However, she has been away from work for too may months, and a lot has changed at her workplace. Her employer no longer needs her. Her employer is a very nice lady and feels very apologetic about it.

Can she apply for regular EI? Will this be a new claim? I checked the Canada Service website. To apply for a new claim, she has to work another minimum 665 insurable hours from the start of a previous benefit period to the start of her new benefit period (the qualifying period), which in this case doesn't seem to apply, because she is let go after the previous sickness claim. Even if her employer lets her back, it might only be a couple of months and that won't be enough hours to start a completely new regular EI claim. What can she do? I can't seem to find any information on the website about switching to a different kind of EI. :cry:

She wants to apply for regular EI while NOT putting her employer in a awkward position. My mom is worried that it might be illegal for employers to lay off people after they return to work from sickness leave. She and her employer actually have a good relationship. She doesn't have a problem with the company because she understands things do change.

Also, her illness is still bearable now but a year or more down the line, it might be getting severe and stop her from working. Can she apply for CPP after getting regular EI (assuming she can qualify)?

Thank you so much!!

There is nothing awkward or illegal; it happens all the time. Your mom is already qualified for EI Sickness benefits, now all she has to do is to convert it to EI Regular benefits. Call the call centre or visit your local SC office and request a change in claim type. She will need to submit medical documentation which clears her for work (assuming there is no medical on file with a return to work date), and her employer has to confirm she was laid off. That's it. I can't help you with the CPP question as I'm not familiar with it.
Apr 21, 2012
3 posts
KELOWNA
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 9:14 pm
1) Unfortunately, when you are unable to work due to health reasons, the onus of the loss of employment is on you. Therefore, the employer would not have to pay severance pay since you weren't being dismissed per se.

2) Your sickness claim is running out. The only way to keep receiving payment is to convert your claim to regular benefits. In cases like yours, there are two issues SC agents will focus: a) whether you have just cause quitting a job and b) your availability for work.

You absolutely have just cause since your doctor recommends you not to return to the same employer. The issue then is your availability. Can you work (in other field) where you're mentally capable of working, and are you actively looking for work? If the answer is yes to both questions, then your availability will be allowed.
Hello

Thank you for your response. I realize that if I can't return to the same job due to the doctors recommendation, that I am not entitled to severance...my long winded explanation was more to explain what had happened during ei sick benefit time.

I have been checking listings to see what's available but haven't dropped resumes off as yet feeling I shouldn't until my doctor clears me for work. One thing that concerns me is my lack of a diploma or certificates. I have been so long in one field, either working for someone or owning my own business that I didn't need them. Now that I am having to completely switch directions, I'm really not sure how qualified I am.....which leads me to one more question, which I hope you can help me with.

if approved for regular EI....what case would I have to make for retraining....eg. going back to school to get some formal training?

I am very adept at Computers both fixing and understanding programming languages a result of self teaching and necessity over the years. This direction would make sense and as well as something I know, there is a huge demand for qualified persons in this field. A huge plus when your 56 changing careers but most require either university and college diploma's or equivalent certification.

Again thank you for your help. It is really appreciated.

Again thank you for you help. It is much appreciated.
Oct 18, 2009
135 posts
6 upvotes
Milton, ON
Hi,

I've lost my job and would like to start collecting EI. I turned my house into a rental shortly before being laid off and from what I've gathered I will be claiming a loss on my rental property this year.

Do I report this to EI? How much do I need to put as "income", since I'm taking a loss overall it doesn't seem to make sense that I would claim the total rent as income.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2049 posts
961 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thank you in advance for answering my question;

I will be travelling next month and my EI payment cycle will start 5 days before I leave for vacation. Will I receive any money for the 5 days out of the 2 weeks while I was in the country? If not, can I get paid for the time and then on my report advise I was out of the country and they could ask me for the money back for the time I was out of the country? I don't want to lose a month of EI because my trip comes at the end and begining of 2 EI pay periods.

Thanks!
:D
Mar 8, 2012
127 posts
20 upvotes
MOFFAT
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2012 3:49 pm
Interesting. So you quit the full time job but remained a part time employee with the original employer, and now you're laid off from the Sat shift. I wouldn't say it changes anything significantly, but let us know how your claim turn out.

She said the same thing on the phone.

I called CP and asked for a ROE, I could sense her shrugging and asked "shortage of work?" and she said she put in the request, and it would be done in about a week and a half. Is it normal to have a ROE issued while you're still an active employee? I'm just hoping I didn't inadvertently fire myself.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
hummer5963 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 11:15 pm

if approved for regular EI....what case would I have to make for retraining....eg. going back to school to get some formal training?

I know nothing about these training programs (Second Career etc) so you will have to inquire your local Service Canada office or provincial ministries.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
Broodwich wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 10:00 am
She said the same thing on the phone.

I called CP and asked for a ROE, I could sense her shrugging and asked "shortage of work?" and she said she put in the request, and it would be done in about a week and a half. Is it normal to have a ROE issued while you're still an active employee? I'm just hoping I didn't inadvertently fire myself.

No worries, an active employee can (and has the right) to request a ROE.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
craiggerz wrote:
Apr 24th, 2012 6:58 pm
Hi,

I've lost my job and would like to start collecting EI. I turned my house into a rental shortly before being laid off and from what I've gathered I will be claiming a loss on my rental property this year.

Do I report this to EI? How much do I need to put as "income", since I'm taking a loss overall it doesn't seem to make sense that I would claim the total rent as income.

Thanks.

It's not employment related so you don't have to report it.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
moulamou wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 7:53 am
Thank you in advance for answering my question;

I will be travelling next month and my EI payment cycle will start 5 days before I leave for vacation. Will I receive any money for the 5 days out of the 2 weeks while I was in the country? If not, can I get paid for the time and then on my report advise I was out of the country and they could ask me for the money back for the time I was out of the country? I don't want to lose a month of EI because my trip comes at the end and begining of 2 EI pay periods.

Thanks!

Yes. When you file your next report, you are available for week 1, but unavailable and out of country for week 2. You will be paid accordingly.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 11:53 am

re: rental income

you are partially correct here. most of the time its not considered as income, however it is possible that it is. It should be reported and have service canada put on file that's it's been reported and not considered as income

for example, if you are just renting out your basement then 100% not income, but if you have rental properties and are working somewhat as a landlord and requires u to do maintenance etc, then it can be considered a source of income.

just saying; nothing is going to happen if you dont report it though
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9649 posts
3421 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 1:19 pm

you are partially correct here. most of the time its not considered as income, however it is possible that it is. It should be reported and have service canada put on file that's it's been reported and not considered as income

for example, if you are just renting out your basement then 100% not income, but if you have rental properties and are working somewhat as a landlord and requires u to do maintenance etc, then it can be considered a source of income.

You are totally right. It's been a while since I had the training. There is no way Service Canada will find out about the rental income if you don't report it.
Oct 18, 2009
135 posts
6 upvotes
Milton, ON
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 11:53 am
Electricute wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 1:19 pm

b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 3:30 pm
You are totally right. It's been a while since I had the training. There is no way Service Canada will find out about the rental income if you don't report it.

Thank you guys. I appreciate the information.
Dec 12, 2010
242 posts
66 upvotes
Only ask the Service Canada office if you really want misleading information about the program. No offence to the guys working there but the majority of them are not aware of the eligibility criteria of these programs. Majority of all training that is government funded is done at the provincial level so contact either the provincial office or a local employment resource centre.
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 11:51 am
I know nothing about these training programs (Second Career etc) so you will have to inquire your local Service Canada office or provincial ministries.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
SCapp wrote:
Apr 26th, 2012 8:40 am
Only ask the Service Canada office if you really want misleading information about the program. No offence to the guys working there but the majority of them are not aware of the eligibility criteria of these programs. Majority of all training that is government funded is done at the provincial level so contact either the provincial office or a local employment resource centre.

this is true, front end office is more just secritaries, no offense to them. but they are there to take forms, help u apply on computers, give u general info. most of them havent had any actual EI training.

all the training stuff is done through the province, yuo just tell them that you are on EI and want to take some courses. if you're not looking for reimbursement for tuition and books then u can take a course while on EI, if its 9hours or less then it will have no effect on your benefits.

10 or more it has to be review and can be determined that you are not available for work, and your EI will stop

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)