Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 8:20 pm
Apr 25, 2012
1 posts
NORTH YORK
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any insight on my following enquiry. I am a Professional golfer and I work at a Golf Club during the summer time. It is a seasonal job and I therefore am laid off every fall and hired back every spring. I've never applied for EI in the past as I have been able to find other work over the winter time but next winter I am planning on going down south and enter some Golf Tournaments. I know that I am leaving the country but am I still eligible for EI because I am willing and trying to make money through tournament earnings? Or does this not work since i would be looking for work in a different country?? Any insight on this would be appreciated.
Mar 28, 2012
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2012 6:45 pm
If you are in dire need, go to your local Service Canada centre and tell them so. You'll need to fill out a form. If it's deemed true dire need, then your claim will be expedited.

You will get payment within 2 business days if your claim is approved. OSAP is not employment related so it won't affect your benefit rate.

Hello
Finally I started receiving my EI benefits last week, they took two weeks as a waiting period and two more weeks to deduct all my earnings during this period (vacation pay and part time job).
By the way, they did not give me any form to fill out because they need at least one month of waiting.
Now I am waiting for another decision by Mai 8; it might be regarding my part time ROE, I think they already got it.
My questions are:
• Will the upcoming decision reduce my benefits or not? I mean based on my part time ROE
• The EI call centre representative told me if I start a full time course and applying for the OSAP, they will suspend all my EI benefits; is that true?
Thanks and have a nice day.

My numbers:
Total Weeks of Regular Entitlement: 42
Allowable Earnings: $110
Benefit Rate (Includes Family Supplement): $274
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
GotsomeQuestions wrote:
Apr 26th, 2012 11:39 pm
Hi I was wondering if anyone has any insight on my following enquiry. I am a Professional golfer and I work at a Golf Club during the summer time. It is a seasonal job and I therefore am laid off every fall and hired back every spring. I've never applied for EI in the past as I have been able to find other work over the winter time but next winter I am planning on going down south and enter some Golf Tournaments. I know that I am leaving the country but am I still eligible for EI because I am willing and trying to make money through tournament earnings? Or does this not work since i would be looking for work in a different country?? Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Sorry, you're out of Canada so no EI. If you are going overseas for a genuine job search, EI may be allowed for up two weeks. Playing in Golf Tournament, unfortunately, is not job searching. :razz:
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
ABDI2997 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 9:40 am
Hello
Finally I started receiving my EI benefits last week, they took two weeks as a waiting period and two more weeks to deduct all my earnings during this period (vacation pay and part time job).
By the way, they did not give me any form to fill out because they need at least one month of waiting.
Now I am waiting for another decision by Mai 8; it might be regarding my part time ROE, I think they already got it.
My questions are:
• Will the upcoming decision reduce my benefits or not? I mean based on my part time ROE
• The EI call centre representative told me if I start a full time course and applying for the OSAP, they will suspend all my EI benefits; is that true?
Thanks and have a nice day.

1) what is the upcoming decision about? If you an't get the part time ROE and made request to SC, you are all set.
2) If you start a full time course, that means you probably aren't available for full time work. Therefore, it will be suspended pending further adjudication.
Apr 26, 2012
2 posts
NORTH YORK
Hey - first off thanks for helping everyone out it's really appreciated, here's the coles notes of my situation

- recently quit my job to take a chance and work on my own business with a partner. I tried to do both for over 4 months, but it was hurting my performance at the company so I had to quit because I had to be transparent about what i was doing and obviously it wasn't a sustainable situation so i had to choose one or the other
- it's a web business with no expected revenue for many years
- I have no salary and won't for a long time
- we're incorporated

Really appreciate any insight you can give! Thanks again
Mar 28, 2012
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 10:27 am
1) what is the upcoming decision about? If you an't get the part time ROE and made request to SC, you are all set.
2) If you start a full time course, that means you probably aren't available for full time work. Therefore, it will be suspended pending further adjudication.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
My EI message says:
“We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by May 08, 2012 or the next business day”
I guess this decision will be regarding either:
• The reception of my part time ROE, because I already sent them a Request for ROE form
• The reception of the Training Course Information form, because I am planning to go back to school: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/f ... -003)e.pdf
Thanks a lot.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
GottaFocus wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 4:19 pm
Hey - first off thanks for helping everyone out it's really appreciated, here's the coles notes of my situation

- recently quit my job to take a chance and work on my own business with a partner. I tried to do both for over 4 months, but it was hurting my performance at the company so I had to quit because I had to be transparent about what i was doing and obviously it wasn't a sustainable situation so i had to choose one or the other
- it's a web business with no expected revenue for many years
- I have no salary and won't for a long time
- we're incorporated

Really appreciate any insight you can give! Thanks again

While you have just cause for leaving one job for another (it is just cause to quit one's job when they are genuinely starting a business), your availability is an issue. You are not available for full time work, which is a requirement if you wish to receive EI fund. If you were available, you wouldn't quit in the first place. Also, EI is not meant to support anyone's self-employment business. Why would you choose a job where there is no revenue and salary for many years?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
ABDI2997 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
My EI message says:
“We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by May 08, 2012 or the next business day”
I guess this decision will be regarding either:
• The reception of my part time ROE, because I already sent them a Request for ROE form
• The reception of the Training Course Information form, because I am planning to go back to school: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/f ... -003)e.pdf
Thanks a lot.

Could be both. You should receive a phone call from an adjudicator in the next couple of weeks.
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
If you cash out your vacation hours after you get laid off, do those vacation hours count towards hours you put in for EI premiums? So let's say you worked 665 hours and you have 10 hours of vacation hours which you cash out. Would you be eligible for EI benefits if the area you live in only requires 675 hours of work?
Aug 28, 2011
3 posts
Hamilton, Ontario
Can you appeal the hour requirements to receive EI? I needed 910 for the minimum and have 890.
Apr 21, 2012
3 posts
KELOWNA
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2012 11:51 am
I know nothing about these training programs (Second Career etc) so you will have to inquire your local Service Canada office or provincial ministries.

No problem. Thanks....This is my first time both on Medical EI and going on to Regular.....So a little scary trying to figure it all out. I appreciate your time in answering my questions.

Thank you!
Apr 28, 2012
950 posts
322 upvotes
QC
Are foreign workers, who have a work permit tied to a particular employer, entitled to receive EI benefits if they lose their job ? Facts to consider are that they too pay EI premiums deducted from their salaries but they need to get a new work permit before taking another job, also they are legally allowed to stay in Canada until the expiry date of the original or subsequent work permit.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
extrax wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:40 am
If you cash out your vacation hours after you get laid off, do those vacation hours count towards hours you put in for EI premiums? So let's say you worked 665 hours and you have 10 hours of vacation hours which you cash out. Would you be eligible for EI benefits if the area you live in only requires 675 hours of work?

Vacation hours don't count as insurance hours. If you are paid out, the vacation pay is considered earnings.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
longhaul73 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 12:34 pm
Can you appeal the hour requirements to receive EI? I needed 910 for the minimum and have 890.

You can appeal anything as it is your right. However it will be futile as this is a black and white situation. It states clearly you need 910 hours to qualify, and it is unfortunate you are 20 hours short.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9590 posts
3324 upvotes
Calgary
Flitox wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 1:43 pm
Are foreign workers, who have a work permit tied to a particular employer, entitled to receive EI benefits if they lose their job ? Facts to consider are that they too pay EI premiums deducted from their salaries but they need to get a new work permit before taking another job, also they are legally allowed to stay in Canada until the expiry date of the original or subsequent work permit.

They absolutely qualify for EI benefits. However, I honestly forget whether they need to switch to an open work permit before they can receive any payment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)