Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
STCman wrote: I was hoping someone can help me.
So my dad has been unemployed since November, because of a layoff. EI has only made one payement to him and is giving him a hard time and holding the rest of the payements.

They are constantly asking for proof of applications to jobs and always following up asking him questions. He is not that great with English so its tough for him especially when I am not home to help. We are providing them with proof of application but they still are not satisfied....

What can we do in this case? I cant believe they are holding payments this long. Any help would be great.

Thanks
You'll need to provide them with whatever they're asking for.....
Nov 22, 2014
12 posts
Toronto, ON
clseea wrote: Depends on the specifics of your pension, but generally if you have less than 2 years service you are only eligible fora return of your own contributions. Those monies are monies you've contributed, so it's not income nor does it need to be declared. It's your own money.
Thanks! I feel a lot better now. I was worried it would affect my ei.
Feb 5, 2015
20 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB
Thanks for your efforts here,
Me and few of the coworkers who were laid off , thinking about pooling our resources, register a partnership and try to start our own business, but some are afraid that this would complicate things, and end up losing EI and getting in debt if the business does not generate revenue fast enough. Would registering a partnership and starting a business affect the EI pay even if does not generate income initially?
will we need to report that partnership immediately or only when there is actually some revenue generated by the business?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
bonjob wrote: Thanks for your efforts here,
Me and few of the coworkers who were laid off , thinking about pooling our resources, register a partnership and try to start our own business, but some are afraid that this would complicate things, and end up losing EI and getting in debt if the business does not generate revenue fast enough. Would registering a partnership and starting a business affect the EI pay even if does not generate income initially?
will we need to report that partnership immediately or only when there is actually some revenue generated by the business?
You'll be pursuing self employment so you won't be eligible for EI. Doesn't matter if you make $1 or $1 million if your intent is to be self employed.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2012
1429 posts
100 upvotes
an you get Ei if you through an agency? If the placement you go to everyday for the past 6 months decide not to bring you back, can you still get ei?

Also my brother recently had his contract expire from his workplace of 6months and the workplace didn't renew his contract. Can he go on Ei?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
taeyang987 wrote: an you get Ei if you through an agency? If the placement you go to everyday for the past 6 months decide not to bring you back, can you still get ei?

Also my brother recently had his contract expire from his workplace of 6months and the workplace didn't renew his contract. Can he go on Ei?
Already answered in the thread you created for the exact same question.
Feb 6, 2015
1 posts
Vancouver, BC
I was looking for work and on Regular EI with 3 weeks left on my claim (I only qualified for a 24-week claim and cannot reach back to previous years) when my Doctor put me on EI Sickness Benefits (Indefinitely). I understand from Service Canada that the maximum sick benefit is 15 weeks, but I have serious medical issues that will continue long past the 15 weeks and I’m riddled with anxiety as to what we are going to do financially after that.

My husband is 61 and I am 55. We have no credit cards, no private insurance, no children, one 13-year-old vehicle in desperate need of repair and no family in a position to help. We lost our house, our business and our entire nest-egg that took us 30 years to build in the crash of 2008 and the recession that followed, and we have just recently learned that my husband’s $13/ hour full-time income is considered ‘too much’ for us to qualify for any social services, yet ‘not enough’ to pay for both food and rent?

I know we’re not the only couple going through a tough financial crisis right now, I’m merely stating the facts as they are so that you will be as informed as possible in order to offer the best advice available.

So while we try to rebuild our lives despite this latest (health scare) setback, my questions are the following please:

1) Except for the obvious, which is out on the street, where do we go from here? Once the 15-week Sick-benefit period is over and I am still unable to work due to failing health, can I apply to EI and request that my sick benefits be extended for a further period on compassionate grounds?

2) Except for the SAFER Program for seniors, is there any other Service Canada program that you are aware of that might help us temporarily until we get back on our feet again financially?

3) And lastly, under these circumstances, at age 55, is a serious health issue reason enough to qualify for a Disability income and/or Federal assistance of any kind? I can’t seem to find any help anywhere?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration
Sep 13, 2013
17 posts
Burnaby
In my final week before applying for EI, I worked 20 hours and had earnings of $250 which was recorded on my ROE. There are no other monies accounted for on the ROE in boxes 17 or 19.

When my application was approved, the "My Current Claim" web page stated that my claim was started in my final week of employment which meant that the $250 was earned within the 2 week waiting period.

I would have expected the $250 to be deducted from my first EI payment however, the "My Current Claim" web page states under "Other Monies:/Earnings in your last week worked/Weekly Amount: $337".

This $337 was deducted from my first payment.

I don't get it. How can they come up with a deduction of $337 when I only earned $250.
Feb 7, 2015
5 posts
Burnaby
I won my arbitration for wrongful dismissal, and now negotiating on the amount owed me in back pay. My question is this... Once I receive my settlement, and pay back EI monies owed, how does this affect my 2014 taxes??l Do I include the EI t4 to current years taxes, even though the amount will be paid back before filing, or does the total amount go towards 2015 income?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
ColleenV270 wrote: I won my arbitration for wrongful dismissal, and now negotiating on the amount owed me in back pay. My question is this... Once I receive my settlement, and pay back EI monies owed, how does this affect my 2014 taxes??l Do I include the EI t4 to current years taxes, even though the amount will be paid back before filing, or does the total amount go towards 2015 income?
I'm guessing you'll still need to include it in your 2014 tax return and there will be some sort of adjustment. It's best to contact CRA or an accountant though as it's not up to EI anyways
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
Barnez wrote: In my final week before applying for EI, I worked 20 hours and had earnings of $250 which was recorded on my ROE. There are no other monies accounted for on the ROE in boxes 17 or 19.

When my application was approved, the "My Current Claim" web page stated that my claim was started in my final week of employment which meant that the $250 was earned within the 2 week waiting period.

I would have expected the $250 to be deducted from my first EI payment however, the "My Current Claim" web page states under "Other Monies:/Earnings in your last week worked/Weekly Amount: $337".

This $337 was deducted from my first payment.

I don't get it. How can they come up with a deduction of $337 when I only earned $250.
An averaging formula often gets used so it's good you caught it if it is actually incorrect. Call in to have things adjusted.
Sep 21, 2004
11408 posts
7173 upvotes
Calgary
TerryW01 wrote: I was looking for work and on Regular EI with 3 weeks left on my claim (I only qualified for a 24-week claim and cannot reach back to previous years) when my Doctor put me on EI Sickness Benefits (Indefinitely). I understand from Service Canada that the maximum sick benefit is 15 weeks, but I have serious medical issues that will continue long past the 15 weeks and I’m riddled with anxiety as to what we are going to do financially after that.

My husband is 61 and I am 55. We have no credit cards, no private insurance, no children, one 13-year-old vehicle in desperate need of repair and no family in a position to help. We lost our house, our business and our entire nest-egg that took us 30 years to build in the crash of 2008 and the recession that followed, and we have just recently learned that my husband’s $13/ hour full-time income is considered ‘too much’ for us to qualify for any social services, yet ‘not enough’ to pay for both food and rent?

I know we’re not the only couple going through a tough financial crisis right now, I’m merely stating the facts as they are so that you will be as informed as possible in order to offer the best advice available.

So while we try to rebuild our lives despite this latest (health scare) setback, my questions are the following please:

1) Except for the obvious, which is out on the street, where do we go from here? Once the 15-week Sick-benefit period is over and I am still unable to work due to failing health, can I apply to EI and request that my sick benefits be extended for a further period on compassionate grounds?

2) Except for the SAFER Program for seniors, is there any other Service Canada program that you are aware of that might help us temporarily until we get back on our feet again financially?

3) And lastly, under these circumstances, at age 55, is a serious health issue reason enough to qualify for a Disability income and/or Federal assistance of any kind? I can’t seem to find any help anywhere?

1. No. 15 weeks sickness is the max per claim.
2. Not that I am aware of. Clseea any help here?
3. Have you looked up CPP Disability? http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/serv ... y/benefit/
It is not EI so I don't know much about it. Best of luck to you and your husband.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
TerryW01 wrote: 1) Except for the obvious, which is out on the street, where do we go from here? Once the 15-week Sick-benefit period is over and I am still unable to work due to failing health, can I apply to EI and request that my sick benefits be extended for a further period on compassionate grounds?

b166er1337 wrote: 1. No. 15 weeks sickness is the max per claim.
2. Not that I am aware of. Clseea any help here?
3. Have you looked up CPP Disability? http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/serv ... y/benefit/
It is not EI so I don't know much about it. Best of luck to you and your husband.
I don't know of any programs that Service Canada offers for your situation, but have a look at this website. It offers a good list of programs people don't usually know about:

http://www.canadabenefits.gc.ca/f.1.2ch ... p?lang=eng
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2331 posts
826 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: You are applying for regular benefits. You are available on for work. Sickness is for those who are too sick to work.

It doesn't have to be the form from Service Canada. But it needs to clearly state that you are advised to quit due to the work environment is hazardous to your health and wellbeing or something like that.
Hi b166er1337 and other EI experts,

Per your advice, I obtained a letter from my doctor stating that I should not return to my job as it would be detrimental to my health.

Based on my doctor's note, I tried to seek a change of position with my employer, but so far this has not yielded any results, nor do I think any amount of persuasion I put in will. My employer has switched me from short term disability to unpaid leave of absence, as my employer wants me to return to my current call center sales job role.

Should I resign and apply for EI? What are my chances of being approved for EI from this point? Please guide me.

I really appreciate your guidance in this matter.
Feb 7, 2015
1 posts
Ottawa, ON
I would like some assistance in understanding my options of my situation, which is as follows:

Long story short, I am losing my job due to lay-offs. I make about 1300 every 2 weeks and I am entitled to a $2,500 vacation pay out. I am planning to apply to and collect EI when my job ends. What I am wondering is: how will the $2,500 pay out affect my EI payments when they start? Will it simply delay the beginning of my payments (push back the date of 1st cheque) or will it also actually decrease the amount I am entitled to? I am trying to decide if it is most beneficial to use up the holidays, take the payment, or a combo. It is not necessarily a bad thing to have to wait after I lose my job to begin EI because I would like to travel and take some time away in between anyhow... Any info would be much appreiciated. Thanks
Jul 21, 2012
109 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Hello,

My husband hurt his back and did not work from.january 5 and he won't work until Feb 22 or feb 28.
He has a doctor note that he provided at his work.
Now we asked his doctor if he can apply for sickness benefits apply nd he said yes he will fill out the form.
He will go back to work in march.
Is it too late to apply for ei sickness benefits for Jan and feb or we can still apply?
Please let me know.
Apr 25, 2014
13 posts
Moose Factory, ON
I have a question. I left my place of employment in the summer to relocate for my husband to attend school (700 km away) I qualified for EI for a few weeks and then quickly found another job in our new city. I was waitressing and when I was hired I was told I would get 4-5 shifts a week. I ended up only getting 1-2 shifts per week and was not making adequate money to cover our living costs. For this reason, I left that job to return to our old city where I could work consistently supply teaching and live with a friend while my husband stayed behind to attend school. After about a month, housing arrangements fell through and we could not afford to maintain two dwellings so I left that job to return to where my husband is going to school. Can I reactivate my EI benefits even tho I left my job on my own account? I am expecting a baby in April and I am worried if I don't find a job soon I will sabotage my chance at receiving maternity benefits. Also, when I reactivate a claim, do I need to submit new ROEs?

Thank you
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
kulb wrote: Hi b166er1337 and other EI experts,

Per your advice, I obtained a letter from my doctor stating that I should not return to my job as it would be detrimental to my health.

Based on my doctor's note, I tried to seek a change of position with my employer, but so far this has not yielded any results, nor do I think any amount of persuasion I put in will. My employer has switched me from short term disability to unpaid leave of absence, as my employer wants me to return to my current call center sales job role.

Should I resign and apply for EI? What are my chances of being approved for EI from this point? Please guide me.

I really appreciate your guidance in this matter.
You should be ok
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
bizzyfingaz wrote: I would like some assistance in understanding my options of my situation, which is as follows:

Long story short, I am losing my job due to lay-offs. I make about 1300 every 2 weeks and I am entitled to a $2,500 vacation pay out. I am planning to apply to and collect EI when my job ends. What I am wondering is: how will the $2,500 pay out affect my EI payments when they start? Will it simply delay the beginning of my payments (push back the date of 1st cheque) or will it also actually decrease the amount I am entitled to? I am trying to decide if it is most beneficial to use up the holidays, take the payment, or a combo. It is not necessarily a bad thing to have to wait after I lose my job to begin EI because I would like to travel and take some time away in between anyhow... Any info would be much appreiciated. Thanks
If it's paid out it will delay the start of payments. I'd use them up
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11397 posts
5215 upvotes
MissAmbber wrote: Hello,

My husband hurt his back and did not work from.january 5 and he won't work until Feb 22 or feb 28.
He has a doctor note that he provided at his work.
Now we asked his doctor if he can apply for sickness benefits apply nd he said yes he will fill out the form.
He will go back to work in march.
Is it too late to apply for ei sickness benefits for Jan and feb or we can still apply?
Please let me know.
He's now outside of a timely manner for applying so his claim will start the week he applies. There may be some leniency with this depending on the reason he didn't apply within 4 weeks from the week he stopped working.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)