Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 8:20 pm
Feb 22, 2010
241 posts
1 upvote
I work for less than minimum wage, but most of my income comes from tips. The tips come in cheque format as well(not cash). So considering that EI only pays you 60% of your earnings, would they take into account the tips as well, or only my wage?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
tdotraptors wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:34 pm
I work for less than minimum wage, but most of my income comes from tips. The tips come in cheque format as well(not cash). So considering that EI only pays you 60% of your earnings, would they take into account the tips as well, or only my wage?

It really depends on whether the employer included these tips in box 15b (insurable earnings) on the ROE. Refer to Digest 5.14.7 for more information: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... ml#a5_14_0

Typically though, cash tips are not included on the ROE so the benefit rate is only calculated based on the wages.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I was told that you can be able to train/go to school for 9 hours a week and still receive regular benefits. Is there any deductions if you do training/schooling?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
extrax wrote:
Apr 30th, 2012 5:36 pm
I was told that you can be able to train/go to school for 9 hours a week and still receive regular benefits. Is there any deductions if you do training/schooling?

Yes, if you attend school for less than 10 hours a week and are available for full time work, the training will be allowed automatically without any further fact finding. There won't be any deduction.
Apr 30, 2012
1 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi there, for the past 4 years I have been working at two jobs. One was a permanent part-time position and the other was an ongoing contract position I had through an Employment Agency. As of March 2nd of this year I had been laid off from the permanent part-time job due to the Customer Service Call Center closing down and being sent to another country. And unfortunately as of April 23rd 2012 I also just got laid off from my ongoing part-time position which I was not expecting due to a shortage of work there. I have my ROE for the first job I lost and will be getting my ROE for the job I just lost last week so I can apply for EI.

I just wanted to know if my insurable earnings and hours will be calculated from both of the jobs I had been laid off from? If so will my benefits for each job be calculated for the last 26 consecutive weeks up my last day of work indicated on my ROE from each job? Or will they be calculated for the last 26 consecutive weeks up to my last day of work from the most recent job I had been laid off from? And will I be losing any benefits due to the fact that I had been laid off from the one job 2 months ago?

Thank You so very much in advance! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and for having this Forum!!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1353 posts
138 upvotes
Edit: Voila - finally found Digest 6.5.7.2 (man, why aren't these digests google indexed?!). Pretty much answers my question - that no I likely wouldn't be eligible.

Just trying to clarify something regarding EI and job change.

If I moved (voluntarily quit) from regular employment over the past 52 weeks to take a new temp/contract job (changing jobs basically), I would need a total amount of 665+ hours (or what ever it is in my local area) specifically at the temp/contract job to be eligible for EI benefits despite being continuously employed for more than 665 over the past 52 weeks correct?

I understand it as, leaving my current employer renders the prior 52 weeks ineligible so I have to start the cycle from Day 1 at the new position?

There's the possibility that the temp contract becomes permanent but always good to know the "just in case" scenario to make the appropriate decision.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
Stinger wrote:
May 1st, 2012 3:44 am
Edit: Voila - finally found Digest 6.5.7.2 (man, why aren't these digests google indexed?!). Pretty much answers my question - that no I likely wouldn't be eligible.

Just trying to clarify something regarding EI and job change.

If I moved (voluntarily quit) from regular employment over the past 52 weeks to take a new temp/contract job (changing jobs basically), I would need a total amount of 665+ hours (or what ever it is in my local area) specifically at the temp/contract job to be eligible for EI benefits despite being continuously employed for more than 665 over the past 52 weeks correct?

I understand it as, leaving my current employer renders the prior 52 weeks ineligible so I have to start the cycle from Day 1 at the new position?

There's the possibility that the temp contract becomes permanent but always good to know the "just in case" scenario to make the appropriate decision.

When you quit a permanent job for a temp job, in many instances it can be allowed. It all depends on the situation. For example, if someone quit his 65k/yr job for a 2-week Stat Canada census gig, then there is definitely no just cause. However, if the temp job has more career potential, has higher wages or offers better working conditions, then typically it will be allowed.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
Avalin wrote:
May 1st, 2012 2:15 am
Hi there, for the past 4 years I have been working at two jobs. One was a permanent part-time position and the other was an ongoing contract position I had through an Employment Agency. As of March 2nd of this year I had been laid off from the permanent part-time job due to the Customer Service Call Center closing down and being sent to another country. And unfortunately as of April 23rd 2012 I also just got laid off from my ongoing part-time position which I was not expecting due to a shortage of work there. I have my ROE for the first job I lost and will be getting my ROE for the job I just lost last week so I can apply for EI.

I just wanted to know if my insurable earnings and hours will be calculated from both of the jobs I had been laid off from? If so will my benefits for each job be calculated for the last 26 consecutive weeks up my last day of work indicated on my ROE from each job? Or will they be calculated for the last 26 consecutive weeks up to my last day of work from the most recent job I had been laid off from? And will I be losing any benefits due to the fact that I had been laid off from the one job 2 months ago?

Thank You so very much in advance! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and for having this Forum!!

Answer to Q1 is in bold. Answer to Q2 is yes, you will be getting slightly lower benefit rate than if you get laid off by both jobs simultaneously. It won't affect that much though.

Just a heads up, when you were laid off by the perm part-time job, you could have applied for EI back in March.
Apr 30, 2012
3 posts
COQUITLAM
Does EI just randomly investigate or are there "red flags" that would prompt them to investigate? I was just on EI recently and I got a call from EI investigations, called back left a msg, didnt call me back yet.. then they called my work the next day, asking to speak to payroll but payroll is out of town...Just wondering what's up?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
MX83SG wrote:
May 1st, 2012 5:29 pm
Does EI just randomly investigate or are there "red flags" that would prompt them to investigate? I was just on EI recently and I got a call from EI investigations, called back left a msg, didnt call me back yet.. then they called my work the next day, asking to speak to payroll but payroll is out of town...Just wondering what's up?

You need to provide more details. Did you fail to declare any earning or out of Canada?
Apr 30, 2012
3 posts
COQUITLAM
b166er1337 wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 11:51 am
You need to provide more details. Did you fail to declare any earning or out of Canada?

Failed to declare earnings. I am willing to pay for my mistakes and accept the consequences and will fully cooperate with them what can I do so this doesn't escalate to the courts.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2623 posts
235 upvotes
Got a question if I could get some help it would be appreciated :)

I worked part time at my university with a work study permit but it was only for the school year. Now that summer is here I can't find a job as of yet would I be eligible for EI? Currently I enrolled in classes because if I wasn't working I figured I might as well get some school stuff out of the way.

Thanks in advance.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
MX83SG wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 12:29 pm
Failed to declare earnings. I am willing to pay for my mistakes and accept the consequences and will fully cooperate with them what can I do so this doesn't escalate to the courts.

It won't go to courts. Penalties depends on the amount of the overpayment. Are we talking at a large amount (over $1000)?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9587 posts
3321 upvotes
Calgary
blzn wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 1:24 pm
Got a question if I could get some help it would be appreciated :)

I worked part time at my university with a work study permit but it was only for the school year. Now that summer is here I can't find a job as of yet would I be eligible for EI? Currently I enrolled in classes because if I wasn't working I figured I might as well get some school stuff out of the way.

Thanks in advance.

You can apply. Since your claim is established by a part time job, you don't have to be available for full time work. However, even with some summer school, you still need to be available for part time jobs.
Apr 30, 2012
3 posts
COQUITLAM
b166er1337 wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 2:05 pm
It won't go to courts. Penalties depends on the amount of the overpayment. Are we talking at a large amount (over $1000)?

over $1000 - yes :(
I have a meeting with an EI investigator. I am cooperating and being truthful and sending them all my employment records as asked.
This was from a couple years back I was so stupid and young.

What will this meeting entail? I just don't want my current work to know about it as it can jeopardise my employment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)