EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
May 1, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
SURREY
Hello,
I've read through all the entries + replies to find answers I need, as well as Service Can's website, but I still have questions and would really like someone's help.

My Q's relate to 2 areas -

1) P/t self-employment allowed while conducting a F/T job search - is it? + how do I prove it's tiny + doesn't interfere w/ F/T availability
2) Converting sickness benefits to regular benefits - help to understand time frame in between for eligibility.

If it's too much to answer in one go, tell me and I'll re-post these questions separately
esp. if separate posts would help others locate info they seek as well

Here's my situation:

I received maximum illness benefits, payments ended several weeks before I got well. I recovered close to the date my Doctor's letter had indicated to EI I would. (Medical form on file has a return to work date). But understandably my employer ended up fully training and keeping the person they hired to temporarily replace me. Fair enough.

My availability to work again came several weeks after payments for sickness benefits stopped. Due to this timing I assumed I was ineligible for regular benefits, so I didn't apply to convert my claim to regular EI.

I looked for f/t work but needed something to see me through during my search, and I started a few hours a week (mostly on weekends) self-employed work of odd jobs and yard work. I did no advertising for this, tiny start-up cost, and spent no time gathering new business - word of mouth only. My focus was looking f/t for a job, though I have not landed it yet.

Q 1) - Is P/t self-employment allowed while conducting a F/T job search
Does Service Can always look upon Self-Employment as F/T (and therefore unavailable for f/t work)? If I can demonstrate that my earnings from self-employment are tiny (not an amount I could normally live on), which is true, will that be acceptable?

Though I didn't apply to transfer sickness benefits to regular ones, in hindsight I think I've been fulfilling my requirements, so maybe I could apply now while there's still a few weeks left on the claim. I would have to dig back in my phone and email records etc. if the govt needs a list of all the prospective employers I've contacted to prove my job search activities. I thought I would find work quickly and wouldn't ever need regular EI.

Q 2) - Converting sickness benefits to regular benefits - help to understand time frame in between for eligibility.
Was I wrong to assume I was/am ineligible ? (to convert sickness to regular after recovering) What I assume Service Can's fine print means includes the stipulation that a medical benefits recipient who recovers must "recover on or before" the end date of claim - i.e. not have a lapse of time, between getting sickness ben and regular ones. Any insight into the interpretation of this rule would be helpful.

Rummaging through old printouts from my serv can acct, I found my end of benefit date, which is fast approaching. I really could use some money support to get me through til a job comes - if I am eligible for more EI - so I'm seeking advice on whether it seems reasonable to try for it, to prevent losing the weeks remaining on my claim.

Q 3) - Can I apply for past or current entitlement now ? To not lose those weeks - and if so, will I have to pay it back as soon as I land my F/T job?

I am so grateful for your time in reading this

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Mar 26, 2006
114 posts
8 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Questions:

1. What happens if I declare that I am not available for work during the waiting period?
2. I applied and my start date is April 15. I should have waited another week to apply. Can I get the date pushed out now?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16498 posts
2162 upvotes
Probably asked already, but we should ask again...

Why is EI taxed?
May 3, 2012
1 posts
SURREY
Hello, had a question about this line

Reason No. 27: To Start a Business or to Become Self-employed in a Near Future

Who would this apply to? I am planning to leave a full time job to start a photography business, can I still apply for EI?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
manidizzle wrote:
May 4th, 2012 3:52 pm
Hello, had a question about this line

Reason No. 27: To Start a Business or to Become Self-employed in a Near Future

Who would this apply to? I am planning to leave a full time job to start a photography business, can I still apply for EI?

You can always apply. However, reason # 27 only applies if/when you stop your self-employment. While you have just cause, you are not unemployed when your self-employment business is up and running. Therefore, at least you can qualify for EI if your business fails in the near future.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
coolspot wrote:
May 4th, 2012 11:57 am
Probably asked already, but we should ask again...

Why is EI taxed?

It's income.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
phics wrote:
May 3rd, 2012 6:21 pm
Questions:

1. What happens if I declare that I am not available for work during the waiting period?
2. I applied and my start date is April 15. I should have waited another week to apply. Can I get the date pushed out now?

Thanks

Waiting period is only served when one is available. If you aren't available during the 2-week waiting period, then it is merely be pushed back to whenever you become available..
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
seriouscurious wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 10:34 pm
Hello,
I've read through all the entries + replies to find answers I need, as well as Service Can's website, but I still have questions and would really like someone's help.

My Q's relate to 2 areas -

1) P/t self-employment allowed while conducting a F/T job search - is it? + how do I prove it's tiny + doesn't interfere w/ F/T availability
2) Converting sickness benefits to regular benefits - help to understand time frame in between for eligibility.

If it's too much to answer in one go, tell me and I'll re-post these questions separately
esp. if separate posts would help others locate info they seek as well

Here's my situation:

I received maximum illness benefits, payments ended several weeks before I got well. I recovered close to the date my Doctor's letter had indicated to EI I would. (Medical form on file has a return to work date). But understandably my employer ended up fully training and keeping the person they hired to temporarily replace me. Fair enough.

My availability to work again came several weeks after payments for sickness benefits stopped. Due to this timing I assumed I was ineligible for regular benefits, so I didn't apply to convert my claim to regular EI.

I looked for f/t work but needed something to see me through during my search, and I started a few hours a week (mostly on weekends) self-employed work of odd jobs and yard work. I did no advertising for this, tiny start-up cost, and spent no time gathering new business - word of mouth only. My focus was looking f/t for a job, though I have not landed it yet.

Q 1) - Is P/t self-employment allowed while conducting a F/T job search
Does Service Can always look upon Self-Employment as F/T (and therefore unavailable for f/t work)? If I can demonstrate that my earnings from self-employment are tiny (not an amount I could normally live on), which is true, will that be acceptable?

Though I didn't apply to transfer sickness benefits to regular ones, in hindsight I think I've been fulfilling my requirements, so maybe I could apply now while there's still a few weeks left on the claim. I would have to dig back in my phone and email records etc. if the govt needs a list of all the prospective employers I've contacted to prove my job search activities. I thought I would find work quickly and wouldn't ever need regular EI.

Q 2) - Converting sickness benefits to regular benefits - help to understand time frame in between for eligibility.
Was I wrong to assume I was/am ineligible ? (to convert sickness to regular after recovering) What I assume Service Can's fine print means includes the stipulation that a medical benefits recipient who recovers must "recover on or before" the end date of claim - i.e. not have a lapse of time, between getting sickness ben and regular ones. Any insight into the interpretation of this rule would be helpful.

Rummaging through old printouts from my serv can acct, I found my end of benefit date, which is fast approaching. I really could use some money support to get me through til a job comes - if I am eligible for more EI - so I'm seeking advice on whether it seems reasonable to try for it, to prevent losing the weeks remaining on my claim.

Q 3) - Can I apply for past or current entitlement now ? To not lose those weeks - and if so, will I have to pay it back as soon as I land my F/T job?

I am so grateful for your time in reading this

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Q1) Service Canada doesn't care if your SE is part time or full time (afterall the hours are flexible). What they are looking for is whether the self-employment is minor in extent. They will ask a bunch of questions and from your answers, a decision will be made. Some factors include the # hours you work a week, how much you invested, are you looking for a fulltime work etc... From your statement, it appears your SE is minor in extent.

Q2) As long as your doctor clears you for work, and you are actively looking for work, and the reason for separation is not contentious, you shouldn't have any problem converting sickness to regular benefits. Since Service Canada already has your return to work date, I don't think you need another medical note.

Give me the dates when your applied for sickness, when it ran out, when your recovered, and when you applied to regular benefits, as well as the end date of your claim. I can then provide a more detailed analysis.
Oct 3, 2011
2 posts
ILDERTON
Our daughter was laid off from her job and fell into a deep depression. She qualifies for EI and applied for (EI advised ) EI sick benefits. She has also been advised by healthcare support, to take a course to occupy herself, improve her health outlook and get out of the house. Does taking a course jeopardize her EI sick benefits?
We can't find the answer on the Service Canada EI site & I don't want to call them unless last resort.
Thanks for any help.
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
So im in EI and I was only given 26 weeks. I have been looking high and low for a job...no luck. I can prove to them that I have been looking.

What can I say to them to get it extended. 3 or 4 more payments would be good, that way I can save it all and use it towards food and bills.

before some people judge, I have earned my EI and go to school under second career. I got laidoff recently from a job i worked 60hrs a week
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
gstar1 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 2:09 pm
So im in EI and I was only given 26 weeks. I have been looking high and low for a job...no luck. I can prove to them that I have been looking.

What can I say to them to get it extended. 3 or 4 more payments would be good, that way I can save it all and use it towards food and bills.

before some people judge, I have earned my EI and go to school under second career. I got laidoff recently from a job i worked 60hrs a week

If your work 60 hours a week, how long did you work there?

And unfortunately EI can't be extended.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
kapitol wrote:
May 7th, 2012 9:52 am
Our daughter was laid off from her job and fell into a deep depression. She qualifies for EI and applied for (EI advised ) EI sick benefits. She has also been advised by healthcare support, to take a course to occupy herself, improve her health outlook and get out of the house. Does taking a course jeopardize her EI sick benefits?
We can't find the answer on the Service Canada EI site & I don't want to call them unless last resort.
Thanks for any help.

If it's just a part time course that runs less than 10 hours a week, she will be fine. If it's more than 10 weeks then there might be potential fact-finding.
Her training course can not impede with her availability for a full time job.
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
1 year

Is there anything I can say where they would give me 1 more payment?
b166er1337 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 3:14 pm
If your work 60 hours a week, how long did you work there?

And unfortunately EI can't be extended.
Oct 18, 2010
48 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
If you start a part time job while on EI, your EI benefits will be deducted on how much you make from the part time job. What happens after you quit the part time job, do you continue to receive full benefits? And also, while working on that part time job on EI, does that part time job accumulate EI premiums in case you go on EI again???
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
extrax wrote:
May 7th, 2012 5:02 pm
If you start a part time job while on EI, your EI benefits will be deducted on how much you make from the part time job. What happens after you quit the part time job, do you continue to receive full benefits? And also, while working on that part time job on EI, does that part time job accumulate EI premiums in case you go on EI again???

1) If you quit your part time job, you still have to show just cause if you wish to go back to EI benefits. Personally I feel this is a stupid rule, but anyway, if you quit the part time job with just cause, you can continue with your EI. If you quit it without just cause, your are out of luck. Your entire regular EI claim will be disqualified.

2) If you quit with just cause, then the hours/earnings from the pt job can be used to establish your subsequent claim. If you left without just cause, none will count.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)