Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 9:46 am
Dec 7, 2006
8 posts
Welland
This may have been asked/answered before but I could not locate it.

If you are currently on EI and you begin a business (specifically purchase a franchise) that is initially running a loss (i.e. you are not drawing any salary), can you remain on EI?

I know that franchises are in eligible businesses for the Ontario Self-Employment Benefit but can EI continue in the ramp-up phase?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2062 posts
146 upvotes
bjy_2006 wrote:
May 7th, 2012 8:42 pm
This may have been asked/answered before but I could not locate it.

If you are currently on EI and you begin a business (specifically purchase a franchise) that is initially running a loss (i.e. you are not drawing any salary), can you remain on EI?

I know that franchises are in eligible businesses for the Ontario Self-Employment Benefit but can EI continue in the ramp-up phase?

Most likely answer is no - are you still looking for work full time if you're running a franchise? It doesn't matter if you are losing money. Remember being on EI means you are ready willing and capable of working full time and actively looking for work.

On your EI report it will ask you if you are self employed - from there you'll need to fill out a questionnaire and you claim will be put on hold until your self employment is reviewed.
Feb 3, 2010
202 posts
46 upvotes
Lower Woods Harbour
I live in a rural area with high unemployment, where the Pilot 5 extra weeks thing of a few years ago is still in affect. My question to you is went I started my claim back in November I was allowed to draw 25 weeks. Is the 5 weeks added onto this or already included?
May 7, 2012
1 posts
hello

I would like to know if leaving your job for a better job ( better aying rate per/hr/Less Hr per week etc)
considered an unjust cause to leave your job and therefor all the work Hours you have accomulated during your current job will be lost for EI purpose.

Thanks
D.
Oct 12, 2009
484 posts
13 upvotes
I know EI has a two week waiting period, but if I my last day worked was April 8, would I still have to wait an additional 2 weeks despite already filling out a report as I await the status of my claim approval?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9745 posts
3591 upvotes
Calgary
Wilmega wrote:
May 7th, 2012 9:52 pm
Most likely answer is no - are you still looking for work full time if you're running a franchise? It doesn't matter if you are losing money. Remember being on EI means you are ready willing and capable of working full time and actively looking for work.

On your EI report it will ask you if you are self employed - from there you'll need to fill out a questionnaire and you claim will be put on hold until your self employment is reviewed.

Exactly. EI fund is not meant to support one's business; it's meant for those who actively seek work. If you are running a money-losing franchise, it's unlikely you are available for another full time job.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9745 posts
3591 upvotes
Calgary
Trans Am wrote:
May 8th, 2012 11:11 am
I live in a rural area with high unemployment, where the Pilot 5 extra weeks thing of a few years ago is still in affect. My question to you is went I started my claim back in November I was allowed to draw 25 weeks. Is the 5 weeks added onto this or already included?

The calculation of your entitlement is based on 1) your area's unemployment rate and 2) your insurable hours. The extra weeks in some pilot projects are already taken into consideration.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9745 posts
3591 upvotes
Calgary
dianera wrote:
May 8th, 2012 11:35 am
hello

I would like to know if leaving your job for a better job ( better aying rate per/hr/Less Hr per week etc)
considered an unjust cause to leave your job and therefor all the work Hours you have accomulated during your current job will be lost for EI purpose.

Thanks
D.

It will be just cause unless you left a permanent job for a very brief temporary job.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9745 posts
3591 upvotes
Calgary
amuseddaysleeper wrote:
May 8th, 2012 11:53 am
I know EI has a two week waiting period, but if I my last day worked was April 8, would I still have to wait an additional 2 weeks despite already filling out a report as I await the status of my claim approval?

Assuming you don't have any separation monies, the WP should be from Apr 8 - 21. You will be payable for the week starting Apr 22 once your claim is approved.
Feb 3, 2010
202 posts
46 upvotes
Lower Woods Harbour
b166er1337 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 1:06 pm
Exactly. EI fund is not meant to support one's business; it's meant for those who actively seek work. If you are running a money-losing franchise, it's unlikely you are available for another full time job.

EI has a program where you are allowed to draw an extra 52 weeks while you start or buy a new business to you. Provided there no earnings in those weeks
Apr 7, 2007
6 posts
Toronto
Hi,

I currently have sickness benefits that have ended. Due to providing a doctors note recommending I quit my place of work for health reasons, it was decided that I would receive regular EI after the sickness benefits were done. I had to leave the country for a funeral in March, and all my payouts are frozen since then. Their original call back was supposed to be March 30th, I had received no money since then. My claim has been updated to a level 3 and they say they need to pay out for the sickness benefits before I can get paid for regular EI. My account online is not setup for regular EI and It's been a few weeks where I should have been eligible for regular ei benefits.

When they finally get around to processing my claim, will they back pay the weeks for regular EI that I am missing due to waiting on them to process the final sickness benefit reports?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2062 posts
146 upvotes
Trans Am wrote:
May 8th, 2012 2:02 pm
EI has a program where you are allowed to draw an extra 52 weeks while you start or buy a new business to you. Provided there no earnings in those weeks

You're refering to the Self Employed Benefits program (SEB) which is approved through the Province. To get into this program you must go through an evaluation process to be approved and yes you can recieve financial support for up to 2 years. Owning a franchise does not qualify a client to be in this program.

Collecting EI while under the SEB program is different from just starting your self employed business. Starting your own self employed business can stop your EI rather than extend it.

Visit your local employment service centre and speak with an employment counselor for more information about the SEB program.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3590 posts
237 upvotes
Nick101181 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 2:25 pm
Hi,

I currently have sickness benefits that have ended. Due to providing a doctors note recommending I quit my place of work for health reasons, it was decided that I would receive regular EI after the sickness benefits were done. I had to leave the country for a funeral in March, and all my payouts are frozen since then. Their original call back was supposed to be March 30th, I had received no money since then. My claim has been updated to a level 3 and they say they need to pay out for the sickness benefits before I can get paid for regular EI. My account online is not setup for regular EI and It's been a few weeks where I should have been eligible for regular ei benefits.

When they finally get around to processing my claim, will they back pay the weeks for regular EI that I am missing due to waiting on them to process the final sickness benefit reports?

as stupid as it may sound u just have to keep claling them and be on their case, but to be honest after the 3rd level, levels 4-100 aint gonna make any difference

on the good side, u will get the money that is owed to u, just takes processing time
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9745 posts
3591 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote:
May 9th, 2012 11:05 am
as stupid as it may sound u just have to keep claling them and be on their case, but to be honest after the 3rd level, levels 4-100 aint gonna make any difference

on the good side, u will get the money that is owed to u, just takes processing time

Complain to your MP's office in person will make a difference. It will speed things up and if you insist enough, your claim will be processed within one or two days.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1542 posts
317 upvotes
Mississauga
I was laid off last September. that same month I was hired as an independent contractor by a different company. my contract comes to an end next month. Am I still eligible for EI?