Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: 35 weeks for parental, 15 weeks for maternity. Since you are male the max you get is 35 weeks. :lol:
yes my mistake max is 35 not 15
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
So I worked on contract between Dec 13, 2010 until June 8, 2012. Am I eligible for EI since I was on contract work and it didn't get renewed? How long will it last and how much does EI provide?

First time real job out of college, so I'm new to EI and things like this. I know my pay statement has deductions for EI so I should be able to get something....
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
radeonboy wrote: So I worked on contract between Dec 13, 2010 until June 8, 2012. Am I eligible for EI since I was on contract work and it didn't get renewed? How long will it last and how much does EI provide?

First time real job out of college, so I'm new to EI and things like this. I know my pay statement has deductions for EI so I should be able to get something....
So have you received the ROE? You should file the application online ASAP regardless whether you have ROE on hand.
Jun 27, 2012
1 posts
CALGARY
Hey guys.

So i tried to apply for EI just recently and i got a letter saying that i was declined because I quit. I however did not quit, i was fired.

When i went in to work that day i came, ready for the day of work. had my coveralls on and was ready to go. I went to go look at what job i was doing when i saw that i had no job assigned to my name. The foreman and 2 other people were there and the foreman claimed that i did not want to work there anymore and effectively told me to leave.

I left my workplace under the obvious impression that i was fired.

Would it be possible to appeal this decision? Apparently my former job is saying that i quit, but i had the distinct impression that i had no choice in the matter and i was fired.

what should i do?
Sep 6, 2011
232 posts
42 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote: 1. yes as long as u are taking care of your child
2. 15 weeks and whatever max is right now $490ish?
3. after, only payable after the baby is born to when the baby turns 1
thanks
Sep 6, 2011
232 posts
42 upvotes
Calgary
b166er1337 wrote: 35 weeks for parental, 15 weeks for maternity. Since you are male the max you get is 35 weeks. :lol:
and thanks
Dec 15, 2004
23 posts
If I am planning to cross the border on Sat and coming back Monday early morning around 2am, do I need to report it and will my EI payment get affected? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16011 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
b166er1337 wrote: So have you received the ROE? You should file the application online ASAP regardless whether you have ROE on hand.
I called in to the company and they said they send the ROE automatically. So once I file in the application, how do I know they have gotten the ROE? I guess they just put it under my name so it should find my application.
May 8, 2012
21 posts
Hi there, I'm just wondering if I should claim my EI, i just recently let go from a probationary period job because I didn't see eye to eye with my manager which ended in lack in communication.
I'm trying to immigrate to Canada and I'm wondering will claiming EI affect that?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
kamikizzy wrote: Hey guys.

So i tried to apply for EI just recently and i got a letter saying that i was declined because I quit. I however did not quit, i was fired.

When i went in to work that day i came, ready for the day of work. had my coveralls on and was ready to go. I went to go look at what job i was doing when i saw that i had no job assigned to my name. The foreman and 2 other people were there and the foreman claimed that i did not want to work there anymore and effectively told me to leave.

I left my workplace under the obvious impression that i was fired.

Would it be possible to appeal this decision? Apparently my former job is saying that i quit, but i had the distinct impression that i had no choice in the matter and i was fired.

what should i do?
need to get employer to amend the ROE to reflect fired instead of quit. you can also complete a quit questionaire and provide all reasons for the dismissal and your side of the story, then submit for processing (21days)
wagnei wrote: If I am planning to cross the border on Sat and coming back Monday early morning around 2am, do I need to report it and will my EI payment get affected? Thanks.
yes youshould call and report it, but no it will not affect your payment. on your passprt it will say u entered the country on monday, wont say what time
radeonboy wrote: I called in to the company and they said they send the ROE automatically. So once I file in the application, how do I know they have gotten the ROE? I guess they just put it under my name so it should find my application.
u can check online using the my service canada account. and normally if its sent automatically they will have it right away
shivahn wrote: Hi there, I'm just wondering if I should claim my EI, i just recently let go from a probationary period job because I didn't see eye to eye with my manager which ended in lack in communication.
I'm trying to immigrate to Canada and I'm wondering will claiming EI affect that?
u can claim, dont think it will have any effect on immigration.
Jun 2, 2007
12 posts
Toronto
I have quick question. I have been laid off from my present office job because of work shortage. I qualify for the EI with respect to insurable hours.

However, I had quit one temporary hard labor job with staffing agency, with within last 52 weeks before the present office job to look for more suitable job based on my qualification (MSc, MBA) and experience. My question is will that affect my application for EI? Thanks in anticipation.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3676 posts
403 upvotes
greatman07 wrote: I have quick question. I have been laid off from my present office job because of work shortage. I qualify for the EI with respect to insurable hours.

However, I had quit one temporary hard labor job with staffing agency, with within last 52 weeks before the present office job to look for more suitable job based on my qualification (MSc, MBA) and experience. My question is will that affect my application for EI? Thanks in anticipation.

no u have enough hours since the quit, so it wouldnt matter
May 8, 2012
21 posts
Electricute wrote: u can claim, dont think it will have any effect on immigration.
I need to be sure, I don't want a small thing like this affect my goal to immigrate here.

Also on my last 2 jobs (one was where I mentioned I was let go on probation period):

1)Total insurable hours: 1278
Total insurable earnings: 7530

2)Total insurable hours: 221
Total insurable earnings: 3546

Both jobs ranged in April 2011-June 2012. How much claim would I get - If you dont mind counting it for me please =)
Jun 2, 2007
12 posts
Toronto
Electricute wrote: no u have enough hours since the quit, so it wouldnt matter
Thanks a lat for the quick reply. Highly appreciated
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
shivahn wrote: I need to be sure, I don't want a small thing like this affect my goal to immigrate here.

Also on my last 2 jobs (one was where I mentioned I was let go on probation period):

1)Total insurable hours: 1278
Total insurable earnings: 7530

2)Total insurable hours: 221
Total insurable earnings: 3546

Both jobs ranged in April 2011-June 2012. How much claim would I get - If you dont mind counting it for me please =)
That information is too vague. Basically the benefit rate s 55% of your average weekly earning.
May 8, 2012
21 posts
b166er1337 wrote: That information is too vague. Basically the benefit rate s 55% of your average weekly earning.
Thanks. I think I will claim benefits (looks like it won't affect immigration). If I get paid bi-weekly how do I submit the Small Week Details? Divide the bi-weekly (less than $225) by 2?
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
shivahn wrote: Thanks. I think I will claim benefits (looks like it won't affect immigration). If I get paid bi-weekly how do I submit the Small Week Details? Divide the bi-weekly (less than $225) by 2?
You can get your weekly earnings from payroll from previous employer.
May 8, 2012
21 posts
b166er1337 wrote: You can get your weekly earnings from payroll from previous employer.
I ended up just saying I never had less than $225 per week, even there is 2-3 bi weekly pay that is a little below $225 (if divided by 2). I did this because on that job I also received tips/gratuities each week that totals it more than $225 per week (if divided by 2).
Would that be okay? I'm handing in ROE and permit copies to Service Canada next week and I will explain it to them too.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
shivahn wrote: I ended up just saying I never had less than $225 per week, even there is 2-3 bi weekly pay that is a little below $225 (if divided by 2). I did this because on that job I also received tips/gratuities each week that totals it more than $225 per week (if divided by 2).
Would that be okay? I'm handing in ROE and permit copies to Service Canada next week and I will explain it to them too.
If your earnings for every week exceeds $225, then small weeks doesn't apply to you.
Jun 30, 2012
1 posts
BEAUMONT
Hi there,

First of all, thank you for giving us your time and expertise. I've recently applied, however I do not qualify for benefits because I am 1 hr short. A ( 100 extra hours will be needed to qualify for the next two claims or five years, whichever comes first ) penalty was imposed in 2010 for a 2007 violation ( declared less earnings than actual ... an honest mistake, not an intentional one). If we wiggle the 52 week snapshot for a qualifying period: it will not work. The closest we can get is the 1 hr short scenario.
I'm thinking that there's no point in appealing this: for it is not a " decision " ... that I do not have enough hours to qualify. What do you think?
I'm thinking about appealing the penalty decision ... but, it is 2 years later ( not within 30 days ), and in all honesty: I believe this penalty is invaluable for it has taught me a significant lesson ( which is, by the way, that it's important to be diligent - after all, E.I. is fair and diligent to me, isn't it? and that it's my OBLIGATION to take the time to figure out exactly what my earnings are and declare them accordingly... because the E.I. system takes the time to figure out exactly what I'm entitled to ).
Anyways, if I were to appeal the penalty decision... how does that process go? and will it be retroactive? could it possibly allow for the 1 hr short application to be processed?
No, I haven't been incarcerated ( ever ) and yes, I could probably get a doctor to write down that there has been a 2 week period that I was too sick to look for/go to work - but that has a feel of " pulling a fast one " ... which I'd really rather not.
I cannot take the rejection laying down, for I am a very hardworking single mom who budgeted for this "income" - and borrowed against it. Perhaps I'm about to learn another painful but signifcant lesson... I know...

If you have any thoughts to enlighten me: bring it on, please!

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)