Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2018 8:46 pm
Aug 16, 2013
4 posts
Mississauga
Hi ok back story first , I am finally recieving ei payments but they are back paying me to the first week of June . I have a cleaning gig . Which I didn't think I had to report as it's maybe 9 hours a week at most . I am paid monthly at the end of the month. I was talking with someone and they told me I do have to report it as it is income . I'm lost at what to do. I reported on all my reports that I haven't had any work or Income . I am paid by cheque but without any deductions or a pay stub. So I have to call and explain or do I just start claiming hours? I just don't want to be charged with fraud and I def can't afford to repay the back payments my husband just for back to work and we are behind on all our bills with two young children . Please help!!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
Xxsabsyxx wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 6:27 pm
Sorry, new to this, I think I put this in wrong spot before! Sorry!

So I have a question

I got laid off my from job at the end of January a d applied for EI and I started receiving benefits not a problem. In April I got a part time, I was filling out my report with my hours worked and I was still receiving money with some of those hours being deducted. I lost that job at the end of June. As far as I knew everything was fine, I thought I was doing a good job and I was never told otherwise. I got let go because the other girls I worked with didn't think I fit in, it was a week before my probation was up, I did not think it would affect my claim. My claim has been on hold since, a decision was suppose to be made by July 21, but it was still showing the message that "they received new information on my claim and they are still making a decision" I called July 22 and they said my roe should have said dismissed during probation and the company missed filling out a couple lines and she would put an inquiry in as to why it wasn't dealt with yet as it had already past the date they said a decision would be made by. They have until the end of the day today to make their decision, the same message is still showing up and I have to call in the morning if the message is still there. I am scared I will lose my benefits, I didn't do anything wrong to lose them. Is it common to have to wait this long to get my claim going again? I don't understand what is taking so long. Thank you.
Because they are understaffed. Any dismissal/quit require adjudication. Complain to your MP's office if it has not been resolved by tomorrow.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
kbal25 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 6:38 pm
So glad I found this thread!!!

My medical EI just ran out but do to surgery in a couple weeks not quite ready to go back to work. I called service canada to see what my options are but I don't qualify for canada pension benefits or income assistance. Should I call and ask to be switched to regular EI despite not really being able to work yet and just not tell them that? When I called them previously they said I can't go on regular until I am fit for work and therefor wouldn't get any benefits.

So ya just want to know if I should call and say I'm fit for work or on my next report say I was able to work so I can get on regular ei benefits so I can still receive some income. Thanks so much for your help!
Sorry I can't advise you to lie in order to get paid.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
monty555 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 10:22 pm
Good evening!

I was wondering if someone could help us out. My spouse got laid off recently and we wanted to know approximately how much she would be getting if and when is approved on her EI application. We reside in Toronto. The latest unemployment rate is 7.8% according to the government website.

She was with the same employer for the past 8 years. She was working full time. On the last year of her employment (July 2013 to July 2014), she had a change in her salary. From July 2013 to end of January 2014 (her best weeks), she was making $1700 gross amount per paycheck. From February 2014 to July 2014 (time of lay off), she was making $1300 gross amount per paycheck. She was being paid on a semi-monthly basis.

On her last paycheck (which was for one week of work), she was also given unpaid vacation pay for the year which was around $700. I'm mentioning this because I also read that the vacation pay may affect the EI amount?

This is her first time to file for EI Regular Benefits.

Her total insurable hours are more than 1820 hours.

I looked it up and it says that she is eligible to receive EI for up to 40 weeks maximum.

Could anybody help us make a rough estimate of what amount she would most likely be receiving on a bi-weekly basis AFTER taxes? We were told that the payments would be bi-weekly.

Also, would the vacation pay she received when her EI benefits start? Would it be longer than 28 days before she gets anything? When should she expect her first payment to be deposited into her account (direct deposit)?

She has applied online for her EI and we just wanted to know if we did the right thing as well. If for some reason, she inadvertently miscalculated her best weeks, would she be penalized for it? She has all her paystubs from her employer to show proof of the amount she was receiving for the past year which shows the salary change and all. It was a little confusing so she's worried she may have underestimated or overestimated her best weeks.

We would appreciate any information. Thank you so much.
The vacation pay she received will push her claim about a week. First week payable should be 3 or 4 weeks after her last day of work.
My very rough calculation shows she should be getting $430ish per week before taxes. Taxes vary but it's probably 10-15% of the gross amount.

And don't worry about miscalculation. There is no penalty if she genuinely miscalculates her weekly salary. It is not easy to convert semi-monthly pay cheque into weekly earnings.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
fsaarinen21 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 10:57 pm
Hi ok back story first , I am finally recieving ei payments but they are back paying me to the first week of June . I have a cleaning gig . Which I didn't think I had to report as it's maybe 9 hours a week at most . I am paid monthly at the end of the month. I was talking with someone and they told me I do have to report it as it is income . I'm lost at what to do. I reported on all my reports that I haven't had any work or Income . I am paid by cheque but without any deductions or a pay stub. So I have to call and explain or do I just start claiming hours? I just don't want to be charged with fraud and I def can't afford to repay the back payments my husband just for back to work and we are behind on all our bills with two young children . Please help!!
So in your next report, declare you work 9 hours a week and make ~$100. Half of your income will be deducted from the weekly EI rate.
Aug 16, 2013
4 posts
Mississauga
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:15 am
So in your next report, declare you work 9 hours a week and make ~$100. Half of your income will be deducted from the weekly EI rate.
Even though I'm paid monthly ? And what about the previous reports just leave it ?
Feb 24, 2007
427 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:11 am
The vacation pay she received will push her claim about a week. First week payable should be 3 or 4 weeks after her last day of work.
My very rough calculation shows she should be getting $430ish per week before taxes. Taxes vary but it's probably 10-15% of the gross amount.

And don't worry about miscalculation. There is no penalty if she genuinely miscalculates her weekly salary. It is not easy to convert semi-monthly pay cheque into weekly earnings.
Thank you so much for your quick reply. It's much appreciated.

Yes, our calculations are almost the same. I guess she didn't do too badly in her calculations. And you're right, the calculations were made difficult by her semi-monthly salary schedule. It was a little confusing.

Regarding miscalculations and mistakes, I'm just glad that she kept all her paystubs just in case they ask her how she came to those numbers. In fact, she called EI hotline and was told how to more or less compute her weekly earnings. The guy guided her and said for her to get her highest paid week (she is paid salary, not hourly). So what they did was, since she is semi-monthly, the gross amount ($1700 per paycheck) was multiplied by 24 (24 pays in a year for semi-monthly). This came up to $40,800. Then $40,800 divided by 52 weeks = $784.61 per week. $784.61 x 0.55 (according to the website) = $431.54 per week before taxes. So it's almost the same as what you calculated. Thank you! It makes us both feel better.

So the payments are basically given every 2 weeks, is this correct? So basically, it will be $430 x 2 = $860 bi-weekly before taxes? Then less 10-15% maximum for the tax? Is this correct? 15% is the maximum for this range?

Also, when you said First week payable should be 3 or 4 weeks after her last day of work.""... does this already include the delay due to her vacation pay? Or one week more beyond this, meaning first week payable would be 4-5 weeks from her last day of work?

Thank you very much.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
fsaarinen21 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:21 am
Even though I'm paid monthly ? And what about the previous reports just leave it ?
if there is no trail (you are paid by cash or cheque without any EI deductions), don't bother. You may not each a live agent anyways.

It doesn't matter when you are paid. It matters when you perform work and how much money you earn for the work performed.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
monty555 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:31 am
Thank you so much for your quick reply. It's much appreciated.

Yes, our calculations are almost the same. I guess she didn't do too badly in her calculations. And you're right, the calculations were made difficult by her semi-monthly salary schedule. It was a little confusing.

Regarding miscalculations and mistakes, I'm just glad that she kept all her paystubs just in case they ask her how she came to those numbers. In fact, she called EI hotline and was told how to more or less compute her weekly earnings. The guy guided her and said for her to get her highest paid week (she is paid salary, not hourly). So what they did was, since she is semi-monthly, the gross amount ($1700 per paycheck) was multiplied by 24 (24 pays in a year for semi-monthly). This came up to $40,800. Then $40,800 divided by 52 weeks = $784.61 per week. $784.61 x 0.55 (according to the website) = $431.54 per week before taxes. So it's almost the same as what you calculated. Thank you! It makes us both feel better.

So the payments are basically given every 2 weeks, is this correct? So basically, it will be $430 x 2 = $860 bi-weekly before taxes? Then less 10-15% maximum for the tax? Is this correct? 15% is the maximum for this range?

Thank you very much.
The EI rate calculation method has changed a bit, but the underlying principle has not changed. As for taxes, I'd be surprised if it's deducted more than 15%, but then again I am not an expert in this field. It's all calculated automatically.
Feb 24, 2007
427 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:38 am
The EI rate calculation method has changed a bit, but the underlying principle has not changed. As for taxes, I'd be surprised if it's deducted more than 15%, but then again I am not an expert in this field. It's all calculated automatically.
Thank you very much.

I added another question. I edited my post and I guess I added this question before you replied to my post. When you said "First week payable should be 3 or 4 weeks after her last day of work."... does this already include the delay due to her vacation pay? Or one week more beyond this, meaning first week payable would be 4-5 weeks from her last day of work?

Many thanks.
Feb 24, 2007
427 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I forgot to ask the significance of the TOTAL INSURABLE EARNINGS. In her ROE, the total insurable hours is 1840. The total insurable earnings is $16,770. I read on the back of the REO that this was based on the last 13 pay periods. But those last 13 pay periods were her lower salary ($1360 before taxes) and were on her last 6 months of work. Her best weeks were before that. Her salary was reduced starting Feb 2014. As mentioned earlier, before that it was $1700 before taxes.

Will this affect the computations and predicted amount? Would appreciate some clarification on this.

Thank you.
Feb 16, 2010
5 posts
Vancouver
Thanks!!!
clseea wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 12:39 pm
Yup. The strike is affecting everyone and delaying claims from being processed. Nothing you can really do until the strike is resolved. It affects all teachers, regardless of their status.

On a side note... I always wonder what type of work teachers look for in the summer to prove their eligibility
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
monty555 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:56 am
I forgot to ask the significance of the TOTAL INSURABLE EARNINGS. In her ROE, the total insurable hours is 1840. The total insurable earnings is $16,770. I read on the back of the REO that this was based on the last 13 pay periods. But those last 13 pay periods were her lower salary ($1360 before taxes) and were on her last 6 months of work. Her best weeks were before that. Her salary was reduced starting Feb 2014. As mentioned earlier, before that it was $1700 before taxes.

Will this affect the computations and predicted amount? Would appreciate some clarification on this.

Thank you.
Like I said, they changed the calculation method a bit. When I was working there, if claimant provided the best weeks earnings, we manually entered the information into the system overriding whatever amount is shown on the ROE.

As for the first week payable, what is her last day of work?
Feb 24, 2007
427 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 10:03 am
Like I said, they changed the calculation method a bit. When I was working there, if claimant provided the best weeks earnings, we manually entered the information into the system overriding whatever amount is shown on the ROE.

As for the first week payable, what is her last day of work?
Thank you very much.

Thanks for clarifying the ROE and total insurable hours. If there is a slight discrepancy in the values (between what was written on the online application and what the ROE shows), which will they follow? Is it always the best weeks earnings provided by the applicant who was laid off? As I wrote earlier, she has kept all her pay stubs on file. So if there is a need to provide proof, she isn't worried. I just want to know if they'll actually request further documents should discrepancies arise?

Her last day of work was July 24, 2014. She applied online for her EI the following day.

Thank you for your help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9293 posts
2932 upvotes
Calgary
monty555 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 10:10 am
Thank you very much.

Thanks for clarifying the ROE and total insurable hours. If there is a slight discrepancy in the values (between what was written on the online application and what the ROE shows), which will they follow? Is it always the best weeks earnings provided by the applicant who was laid off? As I wrote earlier, she has kept all her pay stubs on file. So if there is a need to provide proof, she isn't worried. I just want to know if they'll actually request further documents should discrepancies arise?

Her last day of work was July 24, 2014. She applied online for her EI the following day.

Thank you for your help.
For minor discrepancy, the agent will use the value provided by the claimant. If there is major discrepancy, proof of earnings will be asked.

So last day of work is July 24, plus 1 week vacation pay.
Week of July 27 is the vacation allocation week.
Week of Aug 3 and 10 are the 2 week waiting period.
First week payable is the week of Aug 17. Earliest day your wife gets paid via direct deposit is August 26.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)