• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Feb 24, 2007
453 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 3:09 pm
There are tons of issues on ROE, and the one your wife is possible the most minor one. You really have nothing to worry about.
That's very good to know. Thank you so much for all your help. You have been very helpful and enlightening. It's much appreciated.
Aug 30, 2015
15 posts
Burlington
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 11:34 am
The doctor's note should clear you for work (so you can convert to regular benefits), and states you should quit the current job due to health issues (which gives you just cause in quitting the job). It's up to you when you want to convert it to regular benefits, and it really doesnt matter when you quit the job.
So do I need my doctor to write a doctors note and fill out a second medical certificate ?
Jul 30, 2014
1 posts
Edmonton, AB
Hello,
Here is my situation, I filed a regular EI claim this January and received two payments. Then I found myself pregnant, so I suspended my current claim and started a new job from February to July in case to earn 600 hours for the maternity EI claim. Now I got laid off because shortage of work. So I've wondered can I reactive my old regular EI claim and continue to receive my remaining benefits, then file a new claim for maternity and parental benefits after I give birth? Or is there any other good suggestion for my situation? Thank you so much.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
JoanneS545 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 4:44 pm
So do I need my doctor to write a doctors note and fill out a second medical certificate ?
yes, otherwise how do you prove it?
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
qianjacq wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 5:17 pm
Hello,
Here is my situation, I filed a regular EI claim this January and received two payments. Then I found myself pregnant, so I suspended my current claim and started a new job from February to July in case to earn 600 hours for the maternity EI claim. Now I got laid off because shortage of work. So I've wondered can I reactive my old regular EI claim and continue to receive my remaining benefits, then file a new claim for maternity and parental benefits after I give birth? Or is there any other good suggestion for my situation? Thank you so much.
Clseea can you answer this one?

Can someone go back to regular, change to maternity (let's for 15 weeks), claim ends due to 52 weeks BP, re-apply with new hours, and qualify for another 15 weeks of maternity+35 weeks parental benefits?
Aug 30, 2015
15 posts
Burlington
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 5:41 pm
yes, otherwise how do you prove it?
No no , I know I need proof. Do I need him to write both or just the doctor note?
Jul 30, 2014
1 posts
Powell River, BC
May I ask if you were on medical e.i, are you allow to travel with your province?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
JoanneS545 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 5:44 pm
No no , I know I need proof. Do I need him to write both or just the doctor note?
on the same note.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
oceanviews123 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 6:49 pm
May I ask if you were on medical e.i, are you allow to travel with your province?
that's the gray area, but generally yes.
Dec 11, 2006
1 posts
lucky find this thread.

My husband lost his job. His last working day is Jul. 18. His insurable hours is 2000+. He received 3 weeks vocation pay, 3 weeks notice pay and 3 weeks saverance pay. Does that mean his benefit will probably be delayed for 9 weeks? What if he first do a temporary job, then file a claim when lost the job, will that 9 weeks income still affect his ei? thank you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8403 posts
1437 upvotes
Edmonton
qianjacq wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 5:17 pm
Hello,
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2014 5:44 pm
Clseea can you answer this one?

Can someone go back to regular, change to maternity (let's for 15 weeks), claim ends due to 52 weeks BP, re-apply with new hours, and qualify for another 15 weeks of maternity+35 weeks parental benefits?
You'd only be entitled to one set of 15+35 because it's just for that specific birth.
Depending on the timing of things you could use up your regular weeks, then apply for maternity and parental on a new claim.

To know for sure the best way of doing things I'll need to know how many weeks of regular you have left, when your current benefit period ends and when your due date is.
Jul 31, 2014
1 posts
I have been on EI since April - Regular benefits. I went on a trip to the US from July 3rd to July 19th and let EI know when I filled my claim for the week. Now when I log into my service Canada account it says that they have received new information about my claim and will have a decision by Aug 20th. My claim was approved long ago the only thing that was different this time was that I entered in that I was on vacation. I booked my trip months before I lost my job and paid for it months before I lost my job, why are they having to review my whole claim because of this?
Jul 31, 2014
2 posts
Varna, ON
Hi there! Just not sure about something and it's been IMPOSSIBLE to get through on the phone! We have sold our house and purchased a new one, but with the equity we've saved (earned?) we have more than the five percent down payment required. Our plan is to use the five percent down (lowest amount allowed) and use the remaining to money to pay off outstanding credit debt and do some reno work to the new house. Do I need to claim this money as income earned? I didn't really work for it, and according to what I've read if its money you didn't work for you don't have to claim it? Thanks in advance!
Apr 1, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes
I fill out the ROE's when required as part of my job in a small business. An employee asked to have his hours reduced during the summer for personal reasons (moving, etc.) and being a valued employee the employer agreed without consideration of the effect of that person's absence on their work mate and other employees, including the boss who now has to work longer hours. Then the employee "informed" the boss of his vacation plans during the summer which included 2-3 periods of at least a week off, in addition to his reduced summer hours. There was no interruption of earnings so no ROE was completed and now the employee is harassing the boss for an ROE and the boss is harassing me to do an ROE for said employee...I contacted Service Canada and was told I had no reason to issue an ROE. The boss didn't tell the employee for over a month that he would not be getting an ROE because he felt he should be nice and issue one. I refused to issue an ROE and the boss suggested that he and the employee would issue their own. Now I understand that the employee has quit and so have to issue an ROE, which I can do, but the boss is likely to rehire the employee in the early fall....do I mark the code as "quit" or "leave of absence"? Of course I'm aware that the employee wants an ROE to get benefits, but I'm aware that it was the employee who initiated the reduced hours and that the employee had vacation scheduled. I realize it's not my business what the employee attempts to do with an ROE, but I suspect fraud and perhaps complicity with my employer and this doesn't sit right with me at all. How should I complete the ROE with regards to the separation code, and who do I contact to discuss my concerns. I will not be a party to fraud and nor will I stand by while my employer commits fraud. I am stuck in the middle and am being addressed poorly by all concerned for my "ethics"....it's intolerable. Help please, if you can. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8403 posts
1437 upvotes
Edmonton
supermom1of3 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2014 6:12 am
I fill out the ROE's when required as part of my job in a small business. An employee asked to have his hours reduced during the summer for personal reasons (moving, etc.) and being a valued employee the employer agreed without consideration of the effect of that person's absence on their work mate and other employees, including the boss who now has to work longer hours. Then the employee "informed" the boss of his vacation plans during the summer which included 2-3 periods of at least a week off, in addition to his reduced summer hours. There was no interruption of earnings so no ROE was completed and now the employee is harassing the boss for an ROE and the boss is harassing me to do an ROE for said employee...I contacted Service Canada and was told I had no reason to issue an ROE. The boss didn't tell the employee for over a month that he would not be getting an ROE because he felt he should be nice and issue one. I refused to issue an ROE and the boss suggested that he and the employee would issue their own. Now I understand that the employee has quit and so have to issue an ROE, which I can do, but the boss is likely to rehire the employee in the early fall....do I mark the code as "quit" or "leave of absence"? Of course I'm aware that the employee wants an ROE to get benefits, but I'm aware that it was the employee who initiated the reduced hours and that the employee had vacation scheduled. I realize it's not my business what the employee attempts to do with an ROE, but I suspect fraud and perhaps complicity with my employer and this doesn't sit right with me at all. How should I complete the ROE with regards to the separation code, and who do I contact to discuss my concerns. I will not be a party to fraud and nor will I stand by while my employer commits fraud. I am stuck in the middle and am being addressed poorly by all concerned for my "ethics"....it's intolerable. Help please, if you can. Thank you.
You're required to issue the ROE if the employee requests it.
As for the coding, initially it would have been K-Other, with the description employee request. Now it sounds like he's outright quit. It's not a leave of absence.