• Apr 25th, 2018 4:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
aximrocks wrote:
May 9th, 2012 4:31 pm
I was laid off last September. that same month I was hired as an independent contractor by a different company. my contract comes to an end next month. Am I still eligible for EI?

Not sure. You should apply right now. Maybe you still have sufficient hours for a new claim.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Apr 7, 2007
6 posts
Toronto
They released my funds today for the weeks that was owed to me.

now I got a serious letter in the mail and I'm trying to determine what exactly it means. I left my job because my doctor recommended I leave due to health reasons. The HR woman put down that I voluntarily quit on my ROE, partly because she didn't like me and we didn't get along, plus I confronted her with hiring a friend for a position and her displaying nepotism/favoritism.

I talked to a supervisor from service canada in February and she ruled that I was eligible for regular Ei benefits because I had submitted the doctors note to service canada and she was able to view it and go over it.

Now I got a letter saying that 12 weeks of the 15 for my sickness benefits have been paid. It also says that " please note that we are deferring the fact finding and decision on the reason of separation from your employer(s).

I'm confused, does that mean they don't want to start me on my regular EI now? Even though a supervisor at Service Canada already decided that I was entitled to it?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3547 posts
209 upvotes
Nick101181 wrote:
May 10th, 2012 6:40 pm

now I got a serious letter in the mail and I'm trying to determine what exactly it means. I left my job because my doctor recommended I leave due to health reasons. The HR woman put down that I voluntarily quit on my ROE, partly because she didn't like me and we didn't get along, plus I confronted her with hiring a friend for a position and her displaying nepotism/favoritism.

I talked to a supervisor from service canada in February and she ruled that I was eligible for regular Ei benefits because I had submitted the doctors note to service canada and she was able to view it and go over it.

Now I got a letter saying that 12 weeks of the 15 for my sickness benefits have been paid. It also says that " please note that we are deferring the fact finding and decision on the reason of separation from your employer(s).

I'm confused, does that mean they don't want to start me on my regular EI now? Even though a supervisor at Service Canada already decided that I was entitled to it?

means that u are still on sickness benefits. u need a doctors note to get the remaining 3 weeks of sick. because you are on sick benefits, it doesn;t matter if u quit, but when u convert ur claim back to regular benefits then they will review the reason for separation. still a possibility u could be denied regular benefits
Apr 4, 2012
24 posts
9 upvotes
WINNIPEG
I was laid off from my job in January and received 20 weeks severance. I will be eligible for EI in June (still looking for a job). I want to take a accounting course either through CGA or the University of Athabasca starting in June. There are no in class lectures, it is all online. I intend on still looking for a job while taking the course, it will not interfere with working 40 hours a week. Will EI give me any resistance? I don't want to do anything to risk my benefits. I intend on informing EI that I am taking a course when I apply for benefits.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Nick101181 wrote:
May 10th, 2012 6:40 pm

1) A supervisor may not receive level 2 adjudication training. They also don't have the authority to overturn any decision that level 2 adjudicators make.
2) Your HR entered the ROE correctly. You did quit, and that's due to health reasons.
3) If you already submitted doctor's note that recommended you to quit, the chance is slim that your regular benefit will be denied.

Level 2 adjudications is sometimes very time consuming, that's why some decisions are deferred until a later date. Have you requested to have your claim switch to regular benefits?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
VapourTrails wrote:
May 11th, 2012 1:59 am
I was laid off from my job in January and received 20 weeks severance. I will be eligible for EI in June (still looking for a job). I want to take a accounting course either through CGA or the University of Athabasca starting in June. There are no in class lectures, it is all online. I intend on still looking for a job while taking the course, it will not interfere with working 40 hours a week. Will EI give me any resistance? I don't want to do anything to risk my benefits. I intend on informing EI that I am taking a course when I apply for benefits.

Short answer is no, especially when it's just an online course.
Apr 7, 2007
6 posts
Toronto
Yes I requested my benefits be switched over to regular EI, because my sickness benefits have been over for a few weeks now.I am going to mail a copy of the resignation and a copy showing all the times I was sick and kept getting sick prior to leaving the company. I went last night and got print outs showing all the antibiotics I was taking for the months prior to ending the job. If you could think of anything else they would need paperwork wise, that would be great.
Jun 16, 2009
78 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
If you are entitled to a certain number of weeks for EI benefits after you have been laid off, do they ask you whether
you have been seeking work (full-time or part-time) during the periods you are getting paid? Are we supposed to be showing
Service Canada that we are actively seeking work during this period?

I was also wondering, what happens if you go outside Canada during the period you are entitled to these benefits. Can you
not claim those benefits while you are out of the country, and then come back and start claiming them again? I know there's a
question when doing the EI claim that you have to state if you have been out of the country, but how does it affect the weeks of
entitlement?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Cquential wrote:
May 11th, 2012 10:52 am
If you are entitled to a certain number of weeks for EI benefits after you have been laid off, do they ask you whether
you have been seeking work (full-time or part-time) during the periods you are getting paid? Are we supposed to be showing
Service Canada that we are actively seeking work during this period?

I was also wondering, what happens if you go outside Canada during the period you are entitled to these benefits. Can you
not claim those benefits while you are out of the country, and then come back and start claiming them again? I know there's a
question when doing the EI claim that you have to state if you have been out of the country, but how does it affect the weeks of
entitlement?

You have to file a report every 2 weeks. In the report, you are asked of your availability and whether you have been out of Canada. Service Canada does conduct random interviews and you obviously have to prove you have been job searching diligently.
Apr 8, 2012
3 posts
Hi. I'm wondering if i go to school for 2 days a week. Each 6.5 hours. Can i still be able to get the regular EI? If i would need to provide more fact finding to support what would i need to do?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
turbot1 wrote:
May 11th, 2012 11:16 pm
Hi. I'm wondering if i go to school for 2 days a week. Each 6.5 hours. Can i still be able to get the regular EI? If i would need to provide more fact finding to support what would i need to do?

are both sessions held on weekends or weekdays?

13 hours/week may be acceptable. Depends on whether you are available for full time work.
Apr 20, 2012
64 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I have EI claim, regular benefits in progress. I have received until now 3 weeks of payment from EI benefits. My questions are as following;

1- I will be receiving my 5th week benefits by Tuesday. I am also hoping to get my tax refund next week. If I get tax refund, do I need to call EI and tell them that I got that money? or I would have to declare that money in my next report? means should I call them or online report would be enough to tell them that I got some money?

2- Would tax return money effect my EI payment?

3- I am starting at Job by 14, Job pay schedule is 15/days. So I will be getting my first check by 1-3rd of June. Can I submit my next 2 weeks report, starting 15th till 30th of May? or I won't/shouldn't claim as I already have signed contract to start working from 14th may? I am confuse, at what point we suppose stop claiming money from EI, at the time we signed contract or at the time of first payment from our Job?

4- My claim was accepted for 8 months, while I would be using only 2 months, so if I stop/withdraw request of money from EI, would my claim completely disable or I will able to reinstate , just in case any future problems?

Thanks for your time, you help is highly appreciated.
Jun 16, 2009
78 posts
15 upvotes
Markham
b166er1337 wrote:
May 11th, 2012 11:32 am
You have to file a report every 2 weeks. In the report, you are asked of your availability and whether you have been out of Canada. Service Canada does conduct random interviews and you obviously have to prove you have been job searching diligently.

Thanks for the fast response!
I know on the website it states that you could be working part-time and earn a certain amount while
receiving EI Benefits. But what is service canada's expectation when it comes to seeking full-time work
while you are working part-time and claiming those benefits? are you supposed to be actively seeking
full-time work on top of that?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
Cquential wrote:
May 12th, 2012 9:04 am
Thanks for the fast response!
I know on the website it states that you could be working part-time and earn a certain amount while
receiving EI Benefits. But what is service canada's expectation when it comes to seeking full-time work
while you are working part-time and claiming those benefits? are you supposed to be actively seeking
full-time work on top of that?

Yes. The only exception is when you established your EI claim based on part-time jobs solely. In situations like these, since these claimants weren't working full-time hours to begin with, they do not have to be available for full time work.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9117 posts
2636 upvotes
Calgary
geekoncall wrote:
May 11th, 2012 11:56 pm
I have EI claim, regular benefits in progress. I have received until now 3 weeks of payment from EI benefits. My questions are as following;

1- I will be receiving my 5th week benefits by Tuesday. I am also hoping to get my tax refund next week. If I get tax refund, do I need to call EI and tell them that I got that money? or I would have to declare that money in my next report? means should I call them or online report would be enough to tell them that I got some money?

2- Would tax return money effect my EI payment?

3- I am starting at Job by 14, Job pay schedule is 15/days. So I will be getting my first check by 1-3rd of June. Can I submit my next 2 weeks report, starting 15th till 30th of May? or I won't/shouldn't claim as I already have signed contract to start working from 14th may? I am confuse, at what point we suppose stop claiming money from EI, at the time we signed contract or at the time of first payment from our Job?

4- My claim was accepted for 8 months, while I would be using only 2 months, so if I stop/withdraw request of money from EI, would my claim completely disable or I will able to reinstate , just in case any future problems?

Thanks for your time, you help is highly appreciated.
1/2) Tax refund is not income. You can keep it without declaring it.

3) At the time when you actually start your job. So report that you have found full time work on your next report, which should be as early as Friday, May 25.

4) It simply go to dormant. You can reactivate it when you lose your job.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)