Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON
My 20 week EI payments are done as of last payment. I just found out.

On my claim it says 20 weeks and right below it, it says 26 weeks.

????
Mar 26, 2006
114 posts
8 upvotes
Pierrefonds
How much time is one supposed to be spending per week looking for full time employment when on employment insurance that would meet Svc Canada's requirements should there be an audit?

Does spending time on interviewing skills and doing a CV count? And do they only look at traditional ways of job-hunting as in search classifieds, make contact via phone/email, send in CV? All of the employment opportunities I have had safe for my first was through networking my contacts. So do networking lunches, phone calls, get togethers, functions, happy hours etc count? And how do I document that?

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2048 posts
144 upvotes
phics wrote:
May 14th, 2012 9:33 am
How much time is one supposed to be spending per week looking for full time employment when on employment insurance that would meet Svc Canada's requirements should there be an audit?

Does spending time on interviewing skills and doing a CV count? And do they only look at traditional ways of job-hunting as in search classifieds, make contact via phone/email, send in CV? All of the employment opportunities I have had safe for my first was through networking my contacts. So do networking lunches, phone calls, get togethers, functions, happy hours etc count? And how do I document that?

Thanks again!

You don't need to document all that - service canada doesn't need to know what you are doing 24/7. Just apply to jobs and keep a list. 5 jobs a week minimum - there's no way to actually document and verify how many hours you spend "Looking for work, going to interviews, networking, phone calls"

Just keep a job search tracking list.
Mar 26, 2006
114 posts
8 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Wilmega wrote:
May 14th, 2012 9:57 am
You don't need to document all that - service canada doesn't need to know what you are doing 24/7. Just apply to jobs and keep a list. 5 jobs a week minimum - there's no way to actually document and verify how many hours you spend "Looking for work, going to interviews, networking, phone calls"

Just keep a job search tracking list.

Thanks, Wilmega. That's a little more reassuring. (Oh and out of curiosity, do you also used to work for Svc Canada? How do you know all this with certainty?)

And another related question for all: what if you had to put down the number of hours spent actively looking for employment on an employment questionnaire? (I am required to as I called in to ask what to put down "self employed or not" as I did a one time 3 hour stint compensated via invoicing (no T4). It was one-time and will not repeat again. And I have never been self-employed nor intend to be. The kind folks on the phone said they could not okay nor okay anything and have to forward it to the processing centre and I might experience a 3 week delay in receiving my first EI cheque.)

I mean applying for 5 jobs a week takes...maybe a few hours a week?

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
phics wrote:
May 14th, 2012 2:59 pm
Thanks, Wilmega. That's a little more reassuring. (Oh and out of curiosity, do you also used to work for Svc Canada? How do you know all this with certainty?)

And another related question for all: what if you had to put down the number of hours spent actively looking for employment on an employment questionnaire? (I am required to as I called in to ask what to put down "self employed or not" as I did a one time 3 hour stint compensated via invoicing (no T4). It was one-time and will not repeat again. And I have never been self-employed nor intend to be. The kind folks on the phone said they could not okay nor okay anything and have to forward it to the processing centre and I might experience a 3 week delay in receiving my first EI cheque.)

Thanks!

Don't report the three hour stint; it's not self-employment anyway. And Service Canada will not ask you to put down how much time you spent on job searching.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
gstar1 wrote:
May 13th, 2012 6:01 pm
My 20 week EI payments are done as of last payment. I just found out.

On my claim it says 20 weeks and right below it, it says 26 weeks.

????

You may be entitled to 26 weeks of benefits, but you only have 50 weeks (benefit period) to collect those. Your BP probably ran out before your entitlement.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1163 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
HI OP,

Can you please explain what the rules around the “separation package” are and how they affect the EI benefits? Also, when there is only one lump sum separation payment, how is the going Svc Canada to determine whether or not I’m still receiving separation payments?
Mar 26, 2006
114 posts
8 upvotes
Pierrefonds
b166er1337 wrote:
May 14th, 2012 3:06 pm
Don't report the three hour stint; it's not self-employment anyway. And Service Canada will not ask you to put down how much time you spent on job searching.

Aw but I did. So what do I put down now? And I thought all income through employment had to be reported.

Why isn't it self employment? And if it isn't, then what is it?

Thanks again!
May 13, 2012
6 posts
TORONTO
My commute has recently been extended (Ive been biking in, until a serious crash forced me to rely on public transit) from an hour and 45 mins daily to just over four hours at a cost of $200.00 per month. Can I voluntarily quit and (Successfully!) apply for EI based on my circumstances?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2048 posts
144 upvotes
phics wrote:
May 14th, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks!

I worked for the Call Centre for a couple years til last summer. Also next time you should just report the 3 hours of work in the first question "did you have any work or wages in this week" - by reporting it as self employment now you have to go through the review process and get your EI put on hold.

Either way your reporting the income and hours worked
Mar 26, 2006
114 posts
8 upvotes
Pierrefonds
Wilmega wrote:
May 14th, 2012 10:48 pm
I worked for the Call Centre for a couple years til last summer. Also next time you should just report the 3 hours of work in the first question "did you have any work or wages in this week" - by reporting it as self employment now you have to go through the review process and get your EI put on hold.

Either way your reporting the income and hours worked

Got it. I actually followed the instructions of the folks on the phone to do that because I was not sure how to answer.

So with regards to the employment questionnaire, what is the minimum number of hours spent looking for work do I need to put down for it to fly? Applying for 5 jobs can take 1 hour or 10?

Thanks again.
May 13, 2012
24 posts
1 upvote
BRAMPTON
I'm supposed to be getting $548 every 2 weeks ($274 weekly) yet my first payment from EI is only giving me $532.

I know it's just $16 difference, but why did they short change? taxes?

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
andrew4321 wrote:
May 14th, 2012 5:32 pm
HI OP,

Can you please explain what the rules around the “separation package” are and how they affect the EI benefits? Also, when there is only one lump sum separation payment, how is the going Svc Canada to determine whether or not I’m still receiving separation payments?

Separation monies = vacation pay, pay in lieu of notice and severance pay etc.

These separation monies will be allocated based on your average weekly earning. The average weekly earning is calculated from the Record of Employment (ROE). For example, if your weekly earning is $1000, and you receive $1500 vacation pay and $2500 severance pay, these monies will be allocated for 4 weeks, meaning no benefits will be payable during these 4 weeks.

Most of the separation monies are paid in a lump sum. It's not frequent to receive severance pay or pay in lieu of notice payments in instalments.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
techsavy wrote:
May 15th, 2012 9:37 am
I'm supposed to be getting $548 every 2 weeks ($274 weekly) yet my first payment from EI is only giving me $532.

I know it's just $16 difference, but why did they short change? taxes?

Thanks!

EI benefit is income, and therefore it's taxable.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
welderwilly wrote:
May 14th, 2012 9:38 pm
My commute has recently been extended (Ive been biking in, until a serious crash forced me to rely on public transit) from an hour and 45 mins daily to just over four hours at a cost of $200.00 per month. Can I voluntarily quit and (Successfully!) apply for EI based on my circumstances?

Need more details. So you are saying your commute is 2 hour each way by public transit? Why don't you move closer to work?
However, $200 commuting cost is nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)