Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Aug 27, 2013
11 posts
b166er1337 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2014 9:48 am
Why is your claim denied? Not enough hours? Not available to work fulltime when school starts?
I only have around 320 hours from the new job I got laid off of

I quit my old part job (which is where the bulk of my hours would be coming from) voluntarily at the beginning of March for the following reasons:

- The school workload was full and condensed: Between 20 hours a week of 5 classes, 25 hours working and traveling the GTA several times a week for job interviews, I was completely overwhelmed and needed to maintain a certain average in each of my classes

- I was confident I would be hired soon at a placement (and I was, 3 weeks after I quit my part time job)

- The hiring pool was aiming to have students working by the last week of April/Beginning of May so I would have had to leave soon anyway as my new placement would be full time

- My new job asked and hinted strongly they would take me on full time in the interview. Most contracts offered were given with an implication of full time work if 4 month contract goes well.

Before I even opened a claim, I spoke with 2 reps on two separate occasions and explained the exact above situation. They said it should be OK since I received an offer so quickly after quitting a job I was at for over 2 years which they said makes it fairly evident I was moving on to a next job and thus justifies the voluntary quitting...The woman specifically said an offer for a new job within a reasonable time frame of quitting the old job (which she said was around a month) was acceptable

My denial reason simply stated that I voluntarily quit and thus wasnt approved for regular benefits. When I called for clarification, an agent looking at my file said whoever went over my claim must have deemed me quitting 3 weeks before receiving the offer not to be justified. I never made a claim until I got laid off from my new job in July ....its not like I tried claiming time between quitting and starting the new job between March and May....I was either in full time school or working AND going to school full time before starting my new job in May its not like I was screwing around which makes this all the more frustrating

I told all of this to someone and they said it sounded reasonable and to appeal.

Cliffs:
- Was working part time and going to school for a fast track post grad program
- School offers work placement contracts for different programs
- Students must be placed by May. Quit old job First of week of March, received offer for a new job 3 weeks later to start full time at the beginning of May, had exams and school all throughout April
- Started in May
- Got laid off 2 months into new job due to lack of work

Considering appealing but before I do, want to make sure Service Canada wont contact my school's placement coordinator since I dont want him to blacklist the employer who laid me off since I will most likely need to work with him in the future and dont want to burn any bridges

Would really appreciate your input on my situation and an answer to the likelihood of them calling my school and talking to anyone about what happened

Thanks
Aug 30, 2014
2 posts
Kitchener, ON
ABOUT illness benefits. I've been off work at 9 weeks EI for major medical and now returning on a graduated schedule. My gradual income is now more than the EI benefits pay. I'm not sure that I will succeed despite all efforts and wonder 1) do I close the claim now or will it be closed because I've worked 20 hrs a week? and 2) if I cannot continue to work despite the gradual return, what happens? Do I reopen the old claim or am I eligible to start another claim for illness benefits? thank you for your response.
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Hi,

Is it worth filing a claim:

A Dr. can provide me a note for stress leave, and perhaps he may advise me to quit that job but continue seeking employment; should I apply for sick/regular benefits? Which is easier in this case?

Do I need the online medical note for him to fill out or can he just fill one of his at the clinic?

Should it only state that he advises me to quit, say due to stress, but continue seeking other positions? It is a contact centre which at one point was an office.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4923 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
MoYuhheard wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 12:53 pm
Hi,

A Dr. can provide me a note for stress leave, and perhaps he may advise me to quit that job but continue seeking employment; should I apply for sick/regular benefits? Which is easier in this case?

Do I need the online medical note for him to fill out or can he just fill one of his at the clinic?

Should it only state that he advises me to quit, say due to stress, but continue seeking other positions? It is a contact centre which at one point was an office.
Filed a sick leave, download and print out the form tell your doctor to filled it out and submit to Service Canada.
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
cgtlky wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 4:36 pm
Filed a sick leave, download and print out the form tell your doctor to filled it out and submit to Service Canada.
Any confirmation from the mod?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
MoYuhheard wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 12:53 pm
Hi,

If you are available to work other than your job job, apply for regular benefits. If you need to take stress leave and can't work at all, take the sickness. He can use his own form but it's better if you print the official Service Canada form.

Sickness benefit is easier but much shorter.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
luigi575 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2014 11:49 am
ABOUT illness benefits. I've been off work at 9 weeks EI for major medical and now returning on a graduated schedule. My gradual income is now more than the EI benefits pay. I'm not sure that I will succeed despite all efforts and wonder 1) do I close the claim now or will it be closed because I've worked 20 hrs a week? and 2) if I cannot continue to work despite the gradual return, what happens? Do I reopen the old claim or am I eligible to start another claim for illness benefits? thank you for your response.
You should stop the claim. If you can not work due to health issues, then reactivate the sickness benefits. You can get up to 15 weeks total for sickness benefits.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
tdotwave wrote:
Aug 30th, 2014 11:01 pm
I only have around 320 hours from the new job I got laid off of

I quit my old part job (which is where the bulk of my hours would be coming from) voluntarily at the beginning of March for the following reasons:

- The school workload was full and condensed: Between 20 hours a week of 5 classes, 25 hours working and traveling the GTA several times a week for job interviews, I was completely overwhelmed and needed to maintain a certain average in each of my classes

- I was confident I would be hired soon at a placement (and I was, 3 weeks after I quit my part time job)

- The hiring pool was aiming to have students working by the last week of April/Beginning of May so I would have had to leave soon anyway as my new placement would be full time

- My new job asked and hinted strongly they would take me on full time in the interview. Most contracts offered were given with an implication of full time work if 4 month contract goes well.

Before I even opened a claim, I spoke with 2 reps on two separate occasions and explained the exact above situation. They said it should be OK since I received an offer so quickly after quitting a job I was at for over 2 years which they said makes it fairly evident I was moving on to a next job and thus justifies the voluntary quitting...The woman specifically said an offer for a new job within a reasonable time frame of quitting the old job (which she said was around a month) was acceptable

My denial reason simply stated that I voluntarily quit and thus wasnt approved for regular benefits. When I called for clarification, an agent looking at my file said whoever went over my claim must have deemed me quitting 3 weeks before receiving the offer not to be justified. I never made a claim until I got laid off from my new job in July ....its not like I tried claiming time between quitting and starting the new job between March and May....I was either in full time school or working AND going to school full time before starting my new job in May its not like I was screwing around which makes this all the more frustrating

I told all of this to someone and they said it sounded reasonable and to appeal.

Cliffs:
- Was working part time and going to school for a fast track post grad program
- School offers work placement contracts for different programs
- Students must be placed by May. Quit old job First of week of March, received offer for a new job 3 weeks later to start full time at the beginning of May, had exams and school all throughout April
- Started in May
- Got laid off 2 months into new job due to lack of work

Considering appealing but before I do, want to make sure Service Canada wont contact my school's placement coordinator since I dont want him to blacklist the employer who laid me off since I will most likely need to work with him in the future and dont want to burn any bridges

Would really appreciate your input on my situation and an answer to the likelihood of them calling my school and talking to anyone about what happened

Thanks
Sorry to tell you this, but quitting the first job is not just cause when you don't have a new job line up. If you quit a job because it interferences with schooling, then it is personal choice.

Service Canada can contact anyone to verify your claim statement; agents can contact your school to verify your placement.
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2014 11:44 am
If you are available to work other than your job job, apply for regular benefits. If you need to take stress leave and can't work at all, take the sickness. He can use his own form but it's better if you print the official Service Canada form.

Sickness benefit is easier but much shorter.
Thanks, OP. Could I apply for regular benefits then subsequently apply for sickness benefits? Also with sickness benefits, do you possibly return to work if/when you're cleared?
Feb 24, 2007
453 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
My wife and I were reading a few things about the responsibilities of the person receiving EI and on this part, it says:

conduct job search activities that increase your opportunities to find suitable employment, such as:
assessing employment opportunities;
preparing a résumé or cover letter;
registering for job search tools or with electronic job banks or employment agencies;
attending job search workshops or job fairs;
networking;
contacting prospective employers;
submitting job applications;
attending interviews;
undergoing evaluations of competencies.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/a ... ties.shtml

She has been actively looking for a new job by creating job alerts, checking websites of hospitals (she works in health care) for possible job openings, called offices for openings, applied to some jobs which may seem suitable, etc. She has documented basically her job search and efforts from the time she was laid off. She has been given a letter for a Claimant Information Session which will happen in a few weeks. She is prepared to bring her documents to show that she has been trying to find a suitable job.

Our question are:

1. Regarding the Claimant Information Session, is this done for all people who receive EI? Or for first time claimants? She has been classified as an Occasional Claimant. It is actually her first time to get EI after working full time for the same employer for 8 years.

2. Regarding her job search, what is actually expected of her? Does Service Canada expect her to actually send out an application on a daily basis? She has been sending out applications to jobs which she feels are suitable to her line of work and training. She has read the guidelines on how to go about the job search as an Occasional Claimant i.e. first 6 weeks - usual job and 90% of previous salary, 7th to 18th week - similar job and 80% of previous salary, beyond the 18th week - jobs qualified for and 70% of previous salary. We just want to know what is considered "acceptable" in terms of job search efforts. She looks and searches for jobs on a daily basis, but does not send out applications on a daily basis specially if there are no suitable jobs or no jobs similar to the one she worked for 8 years.

3. What is the incidence of people actually finishing their claim and getting all their benefits without finding a suitable job for themselves? Will their efforts in finding a job be deemed unacceptable even if they were sincerely looking for job (show proof of job search and job applications) but unable to obtain a suitable one for themselves?

Thank you so much for all your help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
MoYuhheard wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2014 12:22 pm
Thanks, OP. Could I apply for regular benefits then subsequently apply for sickness benefits? Also with sickness benefits, do you possibly return to work if/when you're cleared?
1) you can apply for sickness benefits anytime if you have the hours. IF you are on regular benefits and you got hit by a bicycle and sprayed your ankle and can't walk for 5 weeks, you can convert to sickness benefits.

2) of course.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3208 upvotes
Calgary
monty555 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2014 5:00 pm
My wife and I were reading a few things about the responsibilities of the person receiving EI and on this part, it says:

conduct job search activities that increase your opportunities to find suitable employment, such as:
assessing employment opportunities;
preparing a résumé or cover letter;
registering for job search tools or with electronic job banks or employment agencies;
attending job search workshops or job fairs;
networking;
contacting prospective employers;
submitting job applications;
attending interviews;
undergoing evaluations of competencies.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/a ... ties.shtml

She has been actively looking for a new job by creating job alerts, checking websites of hospitals (she works in health care) for possible job openings, called offices for openings, applied to some jobs which may seem suitable, etc. She has documented basically her job search and efforts from the time she was laid off. She has been given a letter for a Claimant Information Session which will happen in a few weeks. She is prepared to bring her documents to show that she has been trying to find a suitable job.

Our question are:

1. Regarding the Claimant Information Session, is this done for all people who receive EI? Or for first time claimants? She has been classified as an Occasional Claimant. It is actually her first time to get EI after working full time for the same employer for 8 years.

2. Regarding her job search, what is actually expected of her? Does Service Canada expect her to actually send out an application on a daily basis? She has been sending out applications to jobs which she feels are suitable to her line of work and training. She has read the guidelines on how to go about the job search as an Occasional Claimant i.e. first 6 weeks - usual job and 90% of previous salary, 7th to 18th week - similar job and 80% of previous salary, beyond the 18th week - jobs qualified for and 70% of previous salary. We just want to know what is considered "acceptable" in terms of job search efforts. She looks and searches for jobs on a daily basis, but does not send out applications on a daily basis specially if there are no suitable jobs or no jobs similar to the one she worked for 8 years.

3. What is the incidence of people actually finishing their claim and getting all their benefits without finding a suitable job for themselves? Will their efforts in finding a job be deemed unacceptable even if they were sincerely looking for job (show proof of job search and job applications) but unable to obtain a suitable one for themselves?

1) it is random
2) this is an information session and not an audit.
3) depends on your qualification and the local job market, many claimants do exhaust the claim and still not able to find a job.
Feb 24, 2007
453 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2014 5:32 pm
1) it is random
2) this is an information session and not an audit.
3) depends on your qualification and the local job market, many claimants do exhaust the claim and still not able to find a job.
Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to ask, does this information session occur only once in the course of a person's claim? Meaning, after this session, that's it for her? Or will she be called again? Are people randomly called and checked again after this session?