Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 7:37 am
Sep 22, 2014
1 posts
Shea Heights, NL
Hi
I have a question maybe you can help me with. I have been working full time for 18 years as a pharmacist with no breaks in employment. This year I have decided to build my own pharmacy and get into self employment via small retail pharmacy/medical clinic. I am still employed with my current employer and as the new building is beginning to take shape, people are talking and the news of this new pharmacy/medical clinic is spreading. My current employer has caught wind of this and I expect I will have to quit or be fired very soon because the business I am developing will be in direct competition with my current employer. What I'm wondering is this...will I be eligible to receive E.I. benefits for the next 4 months if I have to quit or I am fired while the new business is being developed?
Sep 21, 2014
17 posts
Carlyle, SK
Wilmega - Yes, I have completed two reports now and both times I reported that I was available.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
jj2215 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 2:35 pm
Wilmega - Yes, I have completed two reports now and both times I reported that I was available.
You only got a week because you had waiting period earnings. They need to top up your final week of work with a portion of your payout, then the balance goes to the next 2 weeks. The week of the 7 to 13th was the second week of your waiting period, but you had waiting period earnings in it. These monies need to be removed from the next report.... Resulting in only one week of payment
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
RAVEN2014 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 2:33 pm
I have a question about UI Benefits. If I was collecting UI for only a couple of moths on modified payments due to my severance package and then found a job 3 months later and no longer collect UI Benefits. I also have a lawsuit pending with my old employer and we settle approx 3-4 months after I stop collecting UI Benefits. Do I have to pay any Benefits back that I may have received from UI. To break it down a little better:

Say I was receiving $200 a week from Jun 1st 2014. Aug 10th 2014 I started to receive my full benefits $450 a week. I land a job on Aug 20th 2014 and stop receiving UI Benefits. I settle with my old employer in Oct 2014. How does that effect the UI Benefits I would have received previously? Do I owe all or a portion if anything back as an over payment?
Depends what the settlement is for.... But quite possibly. The settlement would be treated as monies stemming from an employment relationship.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
pharmacykingts wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 2:33 pm
Hi
I have a question maybe you can help me with. I have been working full time for 18 years as a pharmacist with no breaks in employment. This year I have decided to build my own pharmacy and get into self employment via small retail pharmacy/medical clinic. I am still employed with my current employer and as the new building is beginning to take shape, people are talking and the news of this new pharmacy/medical clinic is spreading. My current employer has caught wind of this and I expect I will have to quit or be fired very soon because the business I am developing will be in direct competition with my current employer. What I'm wondering is this...will I be eligible to receive E.I. benefits for the next 4 months if I have to quit or I am fired while the new business is being developed?
No. You're not pursuing insurable employment.
Sep 22, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
its 11 additional weeks for severance and a separate check for bonuses. So it is going to be broken into 2 separate checks as far as I know.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
RAVEN2014 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 9:30 pm
its 11 additional weeks for severance and a separate check for bonuses. So it is going to be broken into 2 separate checks as far as I know.
That will create an overpayment then
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4023 upvotes
Calgary
clseea wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 8:53 pm
No. You're not pursuing insurable employment.
The only way he can qualify is to be fired (not quit) and actively looking and be available for another pharmacist position.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2014 12:00 am
The only way he can qualify is to be fired (not quit) and actively looking and be available for another pharmacist position.
Indeed
Sep 22, 2014
4 posts
Ottawa Ontario
Thanks for the fast reply! Here are the answers to your questions:
1) I did continue to work after the acquisition. I was given notice of my termination after the acquisition with a lot of working notice.
I was at Service Canada only to hand in my original ROE from the company that was acquired for the purpose of providing all my insurable hours that my 2nd ROE (from the acquiring company) did not show. He said it needed to provide an end date, but HR is saying it does not need an end date..that only my final (2nd) one does.
2) I did apply right away, and have just been processed. Unfortunately they would not accept my 1st ROE at the Service Canada desk, and now I have been processed with only half of my actual insurable hours. So my claim states I am entitled benefits for 22weeks, when I was employed for 8 years.
Im sorry if my question is unclear. Im wondering if the gentleman at the Service Canada desk was correct in not taking my initial ROE - with no end date on it - as it was issued by the initial company and my employment had not ended at that point.
Thanks again for your time and thoughts.
Sep 22, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Thats what I was afraid of. Whats the best way to settle this? Should I initiate the call once I know and have the final figures on what I will be receiving? Ill want to make sure I have the funds to make the full payment and not pay something else off first and then get hammered lol. Priority's first.
Sep 22, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
clseea wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2014 10:09 pm
That will create an over payment then
One more question, if I was too roll all of my additional severance and bonus that I would recive into RRSP's would I still have an over payment at that time? I cant thank you enough as you have provided me with more info then I could find on the next in the last week so thanks so much for you info.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2155 posts
1200 upvotes
RAVEN2014 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2014 1:40 pm
One more question, if I was too roll all of my additional severance and bonus that I would recive into RRSP's would I still have an over payment at that time? I cant thank you enough as you have provided me with more info then I could find on the next in the last week so thanks so much for you info.
Yes. Service Canada doesn't care what you do with that money. They only care that you received it.
Apr 6, 2015
3 posts
August 7th I left for a 2 week honeymoon, the project I was on was coming to a near completion (union electrician). 2 weeks prior I talked to my foreman and explained that I needed time off and that there was a new substation project starting I really wanted to get on since ours was near completion and he said he would take care of me. My last day I didn't see him and the end of the day to ask him for my ROE and had assumed because I never got one it meant I had quit. (It's been 5 years since I ever applied EI with my ROI)

Well I just found out they switched to electronic ROE's, if my ROE says I was laid off can I claim EI from when I got back from my honeymoon, using my 2 weeks out of country as the wait period. Or do I have to start a new claim now with a 2 week wait period and don't get any retro active pay?

The project I am waiting has had material delays and there isn't any other union work in town besides that up and coming job, thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Matt403 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2014 1:59 pm
August 7th I left for a 2 week honeymoon, the project I was on was coming to a near completion (union electrician). 2 weeks prior I talked to my foreman and explained that I needed time off and that there was a new substation project starting I really wanted to get on since ours was near completion and he said he would take care of me. My last day I didn't see him and the end of the day to ask him for my ROE and had assumed because I never got one it meant I had quit. (It's been 5 years since I ever applied EI with my ROI)

Well I just found out they switched to electronic ROE's, if my ROE says I was laid off can I claim EI from when I got back from my honeymoon, using my 2 weeks out of country as the wait period. Or do I have to start a new claim now with a 2 week wait period and don't get any retro active pay?

The project I am waiting has had material delays and there isn't any other union work in town besides that up and coming job, thanks.
If you apply now your claim will start this week. You won't get retro pay unless you have good cause for applying late and can show you were ready, willing and capable of working during that time period. You can't serve your waiting period while outside the country/on vacation/not available etc etc