Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1201 posts
516 upvotes
I have two part time jobs. One recently laid me off august 10. The other one is still active, last day worked 14th.
The EI application is confusing me. Do I need to submit ROES for both jobs or just the one that is laying me off?
Thanks
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
kilburn305 wrote: I have two part time jobs. One recently laid me off august 10. The other one is still active, last day worked 14th.
The EI application is confusing me. Do I need to submit ROES for both jobs or just the one that is laying me off?
Thanks
Both. As for the other ROE, the reason code will be K-Other and in box 18 put "employee request".
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
Binzster wrote: Hi there,
I've been scrolling trying to find a similar situation but haven't come across any so I thought I should ask.

I have been on regular E.I for the past 5 months and have been looking for work in the meantime. I finally landed a part time position only to be let go 2 weeks into my training because I did not show enough enthusiasm... They gave me until the end of august to complete their online training so I was working at my own pace but this wasn't fast enough for them, she expected me to show the 'enthusiasm ' and get it all done right away. Which I would have done if they said just get it done.

Anyways... when I made my last claim they made record of this and my last day worked and said someone would have to review and decide if I still get paid e.I. I am worried that this part time job has screwed me... Will I still get e.I payments? Just wondering your opinion on this.
Yes you should be fine however it may take time for an agent to make the decision.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
CalgaryExotics wrote: I got let go for no reason from my job in July. I applied for EI, looks like I will be getting it. I am going to school part-time September 8th, my classes are set to be 10am-1pm.
Am i still eligible to get EI benefits? I have enough hours to get EI for 10 months.

How should I go about telling Ei my school situation? If those hours don't work, I could change it to 8am-11am if that means I will get the Ei benefits. I will be going to school for a total of 15 hours/week. Technically I could say I am still able to look for, and accept a 1-9 shift 5 days per week, right? Because if I didn't get let go I would probably be working part-time.

Please let me know the best way to go about this!
What type of work are you looking for and how many hours are you looking to work?
Aug 9, 2015
19 posts
Barrie, ON
So I have submitted everything they told me to submit to change my sickness to ei .They told me that Friday my claim decision will be Monday and nothing they could do could speed up the process, no changes. Waited till today to call to see what is up, and they told me that they haven't gotten to my claim yet and buddy said he will send it somewhere to speed the process up. So he puts me on hold, then 2 minutes later hangs up on me ( no way it was me, on speaker and wasn't touching the phone). I really don't feel like sitting in the phone for an hour again to get nowhere. Are they just giving me the run around, already waited since July 27 for and decision with, bills are piling up and no money to do anything about it, pretty desperate. Any advice would help
Oct 23, 2014
1 posts
Montreal, QC
brawas wrote: so I got a call and they want to meet with me real soon. They asked why I missed the sessions and I explained. They then told me to come see them for one-on-one and they want proof of all my job searches for a few months. I'm a little nervouse because I haven't been keeping good records of where and when I applied. I've been mostly going through contacts and offices or stores dropping off resumes, almost no online history. What will they accept as proof?
Hi!
Actually I'm facing the same thing as you have faced in the past, can you please let me know how did it go and what to expect from them. I live in Montreal and don't know French so finding a job is a tough thing. I can only apply to jobs which are open to accept only English speaking candidates(Which is very rare). Anything more you can advise will be great. I have not missed the appointment/session yet, they have asked me to provide them with my Job search history, will be attending the session soon.

Thanks in advance.
Aug 17, 2015
1 posts
Abbotsford, BC
I was a long tenured worker with company A, (something I trainwd at college for) moved with my spouse for her job and was approved for EI because my former company has no businesses in this area. Applied and got a job in company B just a few weeks into my claim which is in a hospitality field and something I did a decade ago. The first day was a disaster, with the trainer leaving half way through, the shift ended up being 8 hrs with no breaks, there were significant safety issues in a leaky cooler on one side and another set of equipment held up by two makeshift tools near extremely heat that could fall in me if nudged. I left after the first day of training because of what I stated above and have now been told my claim is under review and will not receive payment until a decision is made. I am new to EI, and wondering if anyone has insight as to how these cases have gone in the past
?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Rickyfowler2 wrote: So I have submitted everything they told me to submit to change my sickness to ei .They told me that Friday my claim decision will be Monday and nothing they could do could speed up the process, no changes. Waited till today to call to see what is up, and they told me that they haven't gotten to my claim yet and buddy said he will send it somewhere to speed the process up. So he puts me on hold, then 2 minutes later hangs up on me ( no way it was me, on speaker and wasn't touching the phone). I really don't feel like sitting in the phone for an hour again to get nowhere. Are they just giving me the run around, already waited since July 27 for and decision with, bills are piling up and no money to do anything about it, pretty desperate. Any advice would help
They're always understaffed with too much work to do. They aren't giving you the runaround, they simply don't have the manpower. Keep calling or visit your MP.
Aug 9, 2015
19 posts
Barrie, ON
Lol yah, I just hate when they tell me a date that it will be finalized and there is nothing else they can do for me. So I wait till that date and then they say we will sending it to claims office with urgent notice on it. ( which the person at the service building said that if I called they could have done that a week ago but the person on the phone said he couldn't). The person on the phone said it will take another 5 business days for them to process it now, but to call back on Wednesday if it didn't get process yet. Like I now there pretty swamped but if I knew it would take a month to switch my claims over, I would have switched my thought process for sure . I am almost forced to get a loan from somewhere to get through this time, but if I do and get screwed by service Canada, it's going to be tough to bounce back from that. Also I kinda of know our mp, what should I say to him ? Thanks for the responses
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
Rickyfowler2 wrote: Lol yah, I just hate when they tell me a date that it will be finalized and there is nothing else they can do for me. So I wait till that date and then they say we will sending it to claims office with urgent notice on it. ( which the person at the service building said that if I called they could have done that a week ago but the person on the phone said he couldn't). The person on the phone said it will take another 5 business days for them to process it now, but to call back on Wednesday if it didn't get process yet. Like I now there pretty swamped but if I knew it would take a month to switch my claims over, I would have switched my thought process for sure . I am almost forced to get a loan from somewhere to get through this time, but if I do and get screwed by service Canada, it's going to be tough to bounce back from that. Also I kinda of know our mp, what should I say to him ? Thanks for the responses
Visit the MP's office to get the fastest result.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
waldoboz wrote: I was a long tenured worker with company A, (something I trainwd at college for) moved with my spouse for her job and was approved for EI because my former company has no businesses in this area. Applied and got a job in company B just a few weeks into my claim which is in a hospitality field and something I did a decade ago. The first day was a disaster, with the trainer leaving half way through, the shift ended up being 8 hrs with no breaks, there were significant safety issues in a leaky cooler on one side and another set of equipment held up by two makeshift tools near extremely heat that could fall in me if nudged. I left after the first day of training because of what I stated above and have now been told my claim is under review and will not receive payment until a decision is made. I am new to EI, and wondering if anyone has insight as to how these cases have gone in the past
?
Regardless of quitting a job after 10 years or 1 shift, you have to provide just cause. You have to provide as much details to establish just cause.
Sep 24, 2006
606 posts
64 upvotes
Guelph, On
b166er1337 wrote: Fill it out and submit to Service Canada. File the application online first.
Right now I am EI on my old claim - still 7 weeks left, I wanted my new ROE available now so there won't be a delay.
When should I apply for the new claim? I thought Sept I should start a new claim.
Aug 9, 2015
19 posts
Barrie, ON
as of right now our mp has step down to run for a bigger role, our city doesn't have a mp in place that I can see
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
anastasia1009 wrote: Right now I am EI on my old claim - still 7 weeks left, I wanted my new ROE available now so there won't be a delay.
When should I apply for the new claim? I thought Sept I should start a new claim.
You don't apply for a new claim until your old one has been paid out
Aug 9, 2015
19 posts
Barrie, ON
okay thanks, I calle and they said they would need me to come down and sign a consent form first. Sorry for so many questions but I have read that some people wait like 2 months for it to be approved or declined. Being told to keep calling back at certain dates, and some people say that they said that they were in dire need and there claim was complete 2 hours after that. I can see what probably happens, they have a list of claims and yours could be at the top but if people jump in front of yours by different methods u keep sliding down the list. They told me to wait another 5 days on an urgent list but I feel like I will get the same results at the end of that time unless I put more pressure on them
Aug 18, 2015
4 posts
I was laid off from my job in august of last year, I receive ei up until jun of this year. I was able to find work but only as relief/casual. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can reapply for ei or what other options I have for financial help! Thanks.
May 17, 2015
3 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
Hello,

Update with another question. It's been 3 months since being laid off and still unsure on what I want to do. I'm considered a long-tenured worker. I applied for an entry level job that had similar experience with my last just because it's been awhile, but the wage is less than 80% of what I made. I got called in for an interview and tour of the place. I have a feeling they are going to offer me the position, but after the interview I got the gut feeling it's not for me. Under our responsibilities it says we have to report if we refuse work, and I'm unsure how I should do this (as in how do we report refusal)? Can I just wait and see if I get pulled in to prove I've been applying for jobs to explain it then?

Since being approved for EI I've been putting unavailable on my reports except for 1 week (counted as 1 week waiting period) so I still have not claimed a payment. Thank you
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Maddie0121 wrote: I was laid off from my job in august of last year, I receive ei up until jun of this year. I was able to find work but only as relief/casual. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can reapply for ei or what other options I have for financial help! Thanks.
Only if you have enough hours to establish a new claim and have experienced another interruption of earnings

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)