Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
SueD656 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2014 6:13 pm
Hello,

My question: I have just received a Job Search Form from EI that I need to complete. I have been applying to jobs in the states because I want to move there. Will I still get benefits if I don't apply to jobs in my current living area?
Suitable employment is supposed to be within a one hour commute... Give or take
Sep 29, 2014
2 posts
Penetanguishene
Okay so i started a claim in January and found a job by the end I worked throughout February on a call in basis and continued my claim throughout as I was a call in and didnt have FT work everyweek. Until about the end of april when a few of us (12) got our ROEs and were told we were "laid off" ended up getting called in during this time. I stop claiming in July, I stop filing online as I had worked steady for like 3 months and dodnt think anything of it. Well now im in a little bit of a pickle, I had one shift last week(friday) and as of right now im not working this week(I did however pull the 4hrs vaction I had which will be on this weeks pay). Now I have 9 weeks left on my old claim and money is getting tight. Am I able to reaply and get my old claim reopened or even start a new one based on that roe from april? Or am I better off waiting to see what happens next week (schedule goes up Thursday). Am I eligable to reopen or apply tight now or would I just be *****ing myself over?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
skinnnyyyyy wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 10:09 am
Okay so i started a claim in January and found a job by the end I worked throughout February on a call in basis and continued my claim throughout as I was a call in and didnt have FT work everyweek. Until about the end of april when a few of us (12) got our ROEs and were told we were "laid off" ended up getting called in during this time. I stop claiming in July, I stop filing online as I had worked steady for like 3 months and dodnt think anything of it. Well now im in a little bit of a pickle, I had one shift last week(friday) and as of right now im not working this week(I did however pull the 4hrs vaction I had which will be on this weeks pay). Now I have 9 weeks left on my old claim and money is getting tight. Am I able to reaply and get my old claim reopened or even start a new one based on that roe from april? Or am I better off waiting to see what happens next week (schedule goes up Thursday). Am I eligable to reopen or apply tight now or would I just be *****ing myself over?
Reactivate your claim
Sep 28, 2014
3 posts
Victoria, BC
Is there anything I can do to be compensated for the two week unpaid waiting period? My illness fell unexpectedly and I only plan to be out of work for three to four weeks. When I decided to go on EI I thought you would be back paid from the date you stopped working(seemed to make logical sense). Now two weeks later I have been informed that is incorrect. In my current circumstances without that two weeks of pay ill be left in the dog house not being able to eat. It just seems puzzling to me why I pay into this service every pay-check for the last 10 years if I cannot be paid for a three week sickness leave.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Naturevalley12 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 6:42 pm
Is there anything I can do to be compensated for the two week unpaid waiting period? My illness fell unexpectedly and I only plan to be out of work for three to four weeks. When I decided to go on EI I thought you would be back paid from the date you stopped working(seemed to make logical sense). Now two weeks later I have been informed that is incorrect. In my current circumstances without that two weeks of pay ill be left in the dog house not being able to eat. It just seems puzzling to me why I pay into this service every pay-check for the last 10 years if I cannot be paid for a three week sickness leave.
Not unless you received paid sick leave from your employer and can waive the waiting period.
It's a deductible, just like every other insurance plan.
Not getting 2 weeks worth of EI is going to make you go hungry?
Sep 28, 2014
3 posts
Victoria, BC
clseea wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 7:45 pm
Not unless you received paid sick leave from your employer and can waive the waiting period.
It's a deductible, just like every other insurance plan.
Not getting 2 weeks worth of EI is going to make you go hungry?
Unfortunately yes...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8718 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Naturevalley12 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 8:22 pm
Unfortunately yes...
Probably ought to stay working then if it's just a short term thing... Or look into financial assistance with your province
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4020 upvotes
Calgary
Naturevalley12 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 8:22 pm
Unfortunately yes...
Only 2 exceptions when one can waive 2-week waiting period:

Under certain circumstances, the two-week waiting period can be waived or deferred. For example:

- if you receive sick leave pay from your employer after your last day worked, the waiting period may be waived; or
- if you receive group insurance payments, you can serve the two-week waiting period during the last two weeks you receive these insurance payments.
Sep 29, 2014
2 posts
Penetanguishene
clseea wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 1:25 pm
Reactivate your claim
so do i just put down layoff as the end of work? i havent received an ROE yet for the time worked, and i havent been off for 7 working days yet (not sure if thats why i ended up working friday, so they could keep it from having to "lay me off") i just want to make sure, that way i dont fill all the app out and have them call my last/current employer and they tell them oh hell be working this week....? i dont want to eff myself over.

also i will need to talk to my employer about holiday pay because i have 2xx dollars banked but im not able to pull it until the new year, but technically i have to claim that on my ei app... however they are not required to pay it out until 7+ working days without work, same idea as the ROE. correct?
Sep 29, 2014
2 posts
Kitchener, ON
Have an employee who has just had a heart attack is will be off work for 90 days (is an AZ driver and can't drive for this period) Understand he can apply for EI Sickness (has the require # of hours) and possibly get coverage for up to 15 weeks. The concern and what I
am looking to find out is that in past years our company has laid him off in the winter months and shortage of work could occur while he is on sickness leave.
Upon completion of the EI Sickness - can he apply for regular EI coverage if we've laid him off and there is no work to return to? My concern is that he'll not get coverage due to length of time on Sickness + Regular EI.

As a company are there any issues with this route - will a new ROE need to be issued at time of his recovery stating laid-off/lack of work?

Thanks
Sep 28, 2014
3 posts
Victoria, BC
b166er1337 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2014 10:44 pm
Only 2 exceptions when one can waive 2-week waiting period:

Under certain circumstances, the two-week waiting period can be waived or deferred. For example:

- if you receive sick leave pay from your employer after your last day worked, the waiting period may be waived; or
- if you receive group insurance payments, you can serve the two-week waiting period during the last two weeks you receive these insurance payments.
How does it make any sense that they wave the waiting period if you receive money from your employer for sickness pay? Seems backwards to me.
What do you mean by group insurance?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1610 posts
210 upvotes
umlowcn wrote:
Sep 18th, 2014 10:17 am
Hi again,

I have a question regarding last day of work, my termination letter is dated Sept 11, 2014.

I copied the following from the letter:

" ..., this letter shall confirm the termination of your employment with ..., effective immediately.

On the next regular payroll you will be paid all amounts earned and payable to you up to today, including vacation pay calculated to the end of the 2 week notice period pursuant to the ESA, 2000 ...

The company will continue all of your group insurance benefits until Sept 25, 2014 ... "

I am not sure which date is my last day of work, Sept 11 or Sept 25?

Can you please advise? Thanks again.
clseea wrote:
Sep 18th, 2014 12:02 pm
Probably the 11th with 2 weeks termination pay.
So, I received the pay today. In the pay statement, it only shows 'SALARY', no break down of vacation pay and severance pay.

For EI reporting period September 14, 2014 to September 27, 2014, I chosed 'No' for when asnwering 'Other Money' question. Do I continue to choose 'No' when reporting for this week?

Unfortunately, the HR person is going for surgery, so I am still waiting for my ROE :(

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4020 upvotes
Calgary
Alpine24 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2014 10:19 am
Have an employee who has just had a heart attack is will be off work for 90 days (is an AZ driver and can't drive for this period) Understand he can apply for EI Sickness (has the require # of hours) and possibly get coverage for up to 15 weeks. The concern and what I
am looking to find out is that in past years our company has laid him off in the winter months and shortage of work could occur while he is on sickness leave.
Upon completion of the EI Sickness - can he apply for regular EI coverage if we've laid him off and there is no work to return to? My concern is that he'll not get coverage due to length of time on Sickness + Regular EI.

As a company are there any issues with this route - will a new ROE need to be issued at time of his recovery stating laid-off/lack of work?

Thanks
He can convert from sickness to regular benefits, provided he has recovered and is available to work. You don't need to issue a new ROE, but you have to amend the existing one. So right now his ROE will be reason code - D, when he is laid off the employer can modify it to A and submit the amended ROE to Service Canada.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4020 upvotes
Calgary
Naturevalley12 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2014 10:22 am
How does it make any sense that they wave the waiting period if you receive money from your employer for sickness pay? Seems backwards to me.
What do you mean by group insurance?
clseea please clarify. I have no idea.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10008 posts
4020 upvotes
Calgary
umlowcn wrote:
Sep 30th, 2014 10:55 am
So, I received the pay today. In the pay statement, it only shows 'SALARY', no break down of vacation pay and severance pay.

For EI reporting period September 14, 2014 to September 27, 2014, I chosed 'No' for when asnwering 'Other Money' question. Do I continue to choose 'No' when reporting for this week?

Unfortunately, the HR person is going for surgery, so I am still waiting for my ROE :(

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
That is correct. By the way I think yours is pay in lieu of notice and not severance pay. You only have to declare the pay in lieu of notice on your initial EI application form.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)