• Dec 12th, 2019 12:10 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8724 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
zedimus wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 8:39 pm
My wife has been off work for the last 7 months. she will be applying for maternity/paternity benefits. She has the 600 hours to qualify for it. I would like to know if they calculate the weekly amount of money she will be getting from the last 6 months or if its calculated from 52 week claim period.

She quit her job 7 months ago can her employer fight her maternity/paternity benefits claim.
They'll use between 14 and 22 weeks of earnings for calculation purposes
Her employer has the right to appeal.
speak
Jan 28, 2010
332 posts
134 upvotes
GTA
clseea wrote:
Oct 6th, 2014 9:32 pm
If your benefit rate is $225, the math works like this:
1) $225/.55 = weekly insurable earnings of $409
2) $409 x 0.9 = earnings threshold of $368.This means that any money you earn up to $368 is deducted at a rate of 50% from your benefit rate.
3) Between $369 and $409, earnings are deducted dollar for dollar.

So in your case, $225 - ($368/2) - ($41) = $0 net
So why do I still need to file reports if I'm never going to receive anything? My rate of pay and hours of work are only likely to go up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8724 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
pm2gonzales wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 2:09 am
So why do I still need to file reports if I'm never going to receive anything? My rate of pay and hours of work are only likely to go up.
If your hours and/or earnings are consistently too high, you don't. Stop reporting. Reactivate your claim when your earnings/hours are below those thresholds
Dec 26, 2011
12 posts
4 upvotes
If I accept temporary or seasonal work, am I eligible for EI benefits once that work has ended?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8724 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
Jayell wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 2:31 pm
If I accept temporary or seasonal work, am I eligible for EI benefits once that work has ended?
If you have the hours
Dec 26, 2011
12 posts
4 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 3:05 pm
If you have the hours
Sorry, I don't understand.

Is there an EI FAQ where I can figure this out? Don't wish to bother you folks here, this question has probably been rehashed dozens of times.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2156 posts
1200 upvotes
Jayell wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 3:59 pm
Sorry, I don't understand.

Is there an EI FAQ where I can figure this out? Don't wish to bother you folks here, this question has probably been rehashed dozens of times.
You need to have a certain number of insurable hours to qualify. Visit the Service Canada website and use the search bar function to find answers to general questions.
Oct 7, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Last year (dec 2013) I was denied ei because I didn't have enough insurable hrs with the company I got laid off from. The job I had before that one I was getting paid as a sub contractor so I never had an roe for the time I worked there. Recently, after disputing that I wasn't a sub contractor, I received a letter from the canada revenue agency recently stating that I was an employee and my hours were insurable. This would have made me qualify back in December. As I am unemployed at the present time can I reactivate this claim? Thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1621 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Question regarding changing Job and ramification if not hired after probation period from new company?

So, I want to change Job but there is a possibility like always to be let go after probation or sooner; so, would they still count hours from last Job if let go after probation?
Oct 7, 2014
1 posts
Gatineau, QC
I've been on E.I. for a few months now and finally found a job. The problem is it's in another province, actually Nunavut, I'm starting November 8th,14. I have no money but the company is willing to pay for a portion of the move. I was wondering if E.I. helps financially with the moving expenses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8724 posts
1560 upvotes
Edmonton
indca wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 8:49 pm
Question regarding changing Job and ramification if not hired after probation period from new company?

So, I want to change Job but there is a possibility like always to be let go after probation or sooner; so, would they still count hours from last Job if let go after probation?
Depends on several factors like:

Hours per week in old job vs new job
Money in old job vs new job
Permanency in old job vs new job
Gap (if any) between jobs etc etc
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10013 posts
4028 upvotes
Calgary
stehope wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 6:47 pm
Last year (dec 2013) I was denied ei because I didn't have enough insurable hrs with the company I got laid off from. The job I had before that one I was getting paid as a sub contractor so I never had an roe for the time I worked there. Recently, after disputing that I wasn't a sub contractor, I received a letter from the canada revenue agency recently stating that I was an employee and my hours were insurable. This would have made me qualify back in December. As I am unemployed at the present time can I reactivate this claim? Thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions.
In that case, forward the CRA ruling to Service Canada and your claim will be recalculated. If you have enough hours, you will probably get a huge pay cheque as you will be back paid from last December.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10013 posts
4028 upvotes
Calgary
Pablozappa wrote:
Oct 8th, 2014 10:57 pm
I've been on E.I. for a few months now and finally found a job. The problem is it's in another province, actually Nunavut, I'm starting November 8th,14. I have no money but the company is willing to pay for a portion of the move. I was wondering if E.I. helps financially with the moving expenses.
Nope. But document all your moving related experiences and file it in your next years tax return. You will get some refund.
Oct 8, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi b166er1337, great job maintaining this thread. This is my first time applying for EI (I live in Toronto) so I'm unfamiliar with the process. Please shed light on my situation!

I'd been working from April 2013 until March 2014 full-time until I went to jail at the end of March 2014 due to pending charges. I spent 2.5 months in jail and got released on bail in the middle of June 2014. Before going to jail, I spoke to my employer who told me that my job would be available to me upon my return (since they liked me), but once I was released from bail, they sang a different tune. I was forced to quit due to "spatial restrictions" which meant that there was no more office for me there, and no room for future employment opportunities. **Keep in mind, the time served in jail was not for a crime which I've been convicted of**

I'd been job hunting for over a month since I got out of jail, but found no success. It didn't cross my mind whatsoever to apply for employment insurance until late July 2014. Once I did that, the Service Canada website told me that I needed some documentation (ROE, and supporting letters from both my lawyer and the jail I was incarcerated at). I finally got my ROE mailed to me on August 22nd, got all the supporting documents from my lawyer on October 6th, and finally submitted those articles to Service Canada to complete my application.

Things to note, I completely forgot about my duty to fill out a weekly EI report thing ever since I opened my application in late July, so I had to reopen the application two days ago (October 7th). From what I've read online, I'm qualified to receive benefits. The only problem is that I didn't open my claim within that 30-day window upon losing my job.

So, b166er1337, all things considered, in all likelihood, what will happen with my claim? I'm expecting to wait about four weeks for their decision, but do you think they'll approve it? Will they backdate payments from the day I went to jail, or from once I was bailed out? Thanks for your input!
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I had a back injury and have been off work for a week now (with a Dr.'s note). My job requires me to sit all day and it won't work since this is a serious injury. The note only states one week off but I'm going back today since there's been no improvement. It's really stressing me out and I don't eat/sleep. Should I continue to get Dr's notes until I can get back (I have had no income on days off - no sick days are given at work).