• Nov 20th, 2019 12:16 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9971 posts
3954 upvotes
Calgary
HanSolo wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 2:04 am
Hi b166er1337, great job maintaining this thread. This is my first time applying for EI (I live in Toronto) so I'm unfamiliar with the process. Please shed light on my situation!
answered via pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9971 posts
3954 upvotes
Calgary
MoYuhheard wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 1:22 pm
I had a back injury and have been off work for a week now (with a Dr.'s note). My job requires me to sit all day and it won't work since this is a serious injury. The note only states one week off but I'm going back today since there's been no improvement. It's really stressing me out and I don't eat/sleep. Should I continue to get Dr's notes until I can get back (I have had no income on days off - no sick days are given at work).
Yes you need doctor's notes on days off if you want to continue receiving sickness benefits.
Oct 7, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I'm Unable to get in contact from my previous employer for an roe or even a T4. I found out the company and gone bankrupt and all phone numbers have been did connected. I contacted service canada and they said they will try there best to get the roe. My question is if no one can get a hold of this person for an roe is there another method?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9971 posts
3954 upvotes
Calgary
stehope wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 2:46 pm
I'm Unable to get in contact from my previous employer for an roe or even a T4. I found out the company and gone bankrupt and all phone numbers have been did connected. I contacted service canada and they said they will try there best to get the roe. My question is if no one can get a hold of this person for an roe is there another method?
Service Canada will create an interim ROE based on the information you provide.
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
b166er1337 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 1:56 pm
Yes you need doctor's notes on days off if you want to continue receiving sickness benefits.
I haven't applied yet. Should I apply now?
Oct 8, 2014
2 posts
Mississauga, ON
Hi b166er1337

Thanks for starting this thread... I have a small question.. I see that you've mentioned and there's also a statement on the Service Canada website that the "reason for leaving" is not a factor when making a decision on special benefits such as maternity claim and you "might" be eligible even if you quit. I was laid off from my last job due to shortage of work and applied for EI within a week.. however, my hours are not enough unless i add up my last 2 jobs, the previous one of which i quit. The reasons for quitting were many and completely justified as per me, however, I have read/heard that decisions can go both ways in the case of voluntary leaving. I am earnestly looking for work but as I am 6 months pregnant and showing, I am finding it extremely hard to find a new job at this point. My question is if my regular EI claim gets denied, do I still stand a chance in maternity claim which I look forward to file in a few weeks ?
Although I do see that you've time and again asserted that reason for quitting should not matter in the case of special benefits, I wanted to clarify this again as the reps at the Service Canada center were not able to give me a definitive answer for this and told me that my maternity claim might be rejected.
Thanks in advance for your answer !
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8704 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
MoYuhheard wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 7:09 pm
I haven't applied yet. Should I apply now?
Yes, apply
Oct 9, 2014
1 posts
Calgary, AB
Hello,

I'm wondering on the EI return. I am new with this things and none of the web searches can answer my questions. If anyone who is on the job have to pay for the employment insurance every month out of the wage of salary and never take the benefit or claim for EI, where would the money goes? Let's say a person worked for the same company for the last 10 years and leave the job for no cause reason, just because he or she found another better jobs, the money he paid while working with the past employer, what will happen to it? Would he or she lose the money just like that or is it transferable to the future until he or she retired? Can it be claimed to cash out the same as RRSP? I noticed a lot of money has been cut off from my pay cheque every month.

Thank you
Helen
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Hi there,

If sleep, stress, eating are all issues and a Dr. has recommended that I quit (with support of a Dr.'s note); do I apply for regular or medical benefits and if so, am I likely to be approved?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8704 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
helenad wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 4:13 pm
Hello,

I'm wondering on the EI return. I am new with this things and none of the web searches can answer my questions. If anyone who is on the job have to pay for the employment insurance every month out of the wage of salary and never take the benefit or claim for EI, where would the money goes? Let's say a person worked for the same company for the last 10 years and leave the job for no cause reason, just because he or she found another better jobs, the money he paid while working with the past employer, what will happen to it? Would he or she lose the money just like that or is it transferable to the future until he or she retired? Can it be claimed to cash out the same as RRSP? I noticed a lot of money has been cut off from my pay cheque every month.

Thank you
Helen
It goes to the pot for other people to use it. You don't get it back.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8704 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
MoYuhheard wrote:
Oct 10th, 2014 5:03 pm
Hi there,

If sleep, stress, eating are all issues and a Dr. has recommended that I quit (with support of a Dr.'s note); do I apply for regular or medical benefits and if so, am I likely to be approved?
Depends what your doctor says. If you're unable to work at all, sick. If you simply can't work that specific job, most likely regular. That's why the note should be somewhat detailed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8704 posts
1550 upvotes
Edmonton
Krdr247 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2014 11:32 pm
Hi b166er1337

Thanks for starting this thread... I have a small question.. I see that you've mentioned and there's also a statement on the Service Canada website that the "reason for leaving" is not a factor when making a decision on special benefits such as maternity claim and you "might" be eligible even if you quit. I was laid off from my last job due to shortage of work and applied for EI within a week.. however, my hours are not enough unless i add up my last 2 jobs, the previous one of which i quit. The reasons for quitting were many and completely justified as per me, however, I have read/heard that decisions can go both ways in the case of voluntary leaving. I am earnestly looking for work but as I am 6 months pregnant and showing, I am finding it extremely hard to find a new job at this point. My question is if my regular EI claim gets denied, do I still stand a chance in maternity claim which I look forward to file in a few weeks ?
Although I do see that you've time and again asserted that reason for quitting should not matter in the case of special benefits, I wanted to clarify this again as the reps at the Service Canada center were not able to give me a definitive answer for this and told me that my maternity claim might be rejected.
Thanks in advance for your answer !
The adjudication of reasons for separation are deferred until you want regular. They won't have an impact on your special benefits
Oct 9, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
What happens if you're on Regular EI and then find a job and get fired after a month. Can I still get the remaining benefits?
Oct 7, 2005
117 posts
168 upvotes
Hello,

I am currently receiving regular ei benefits and the claim is not scheduled to end until another thirty weeks by which I'll be employed again but recently I had open hernia surgery and the surgeon instructed me not to over exert myself or lift anything over 20 pounds for the next six weeks. My question is do I need a doctor's slip if I state that I am unable to work do to illness/injury for the next six weeks? And if so can the slip be from my family doctor who referred me to the surgeon who performed the surgery? Thanks for all your help!