Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 12:11 pm
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I've applied for two weeks of sick leave and was wondering where I can send the notes from the dr. I also re injured myself unfortunately and the dr has advises me to take more time off... possibly a month to three months. Where do I send these notes? Also, do I re apply for the additional time off for sickness benefits?
Oct 17, 2014
1 posts
Vancouver, BC
Please help, i didn't report earnings from hours worked while i was on ei because the new job i was working was commission based and i couldn't afford to loose benefits in case i didnt make any money. I have tried to call ei but i can't get thru. What do i do and would the penalty for this?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8677 posts
1533 upvotes
Edmonton
MoYuhheard wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 4:07 am
I've applied for two weeks of sick leave and was wondering where I can send the notes from the dr. I also re injured myself unfortunately and the dr has advises me to take more time off... possibly a month to three months. Where do I send these notes? Also, do I re apply for the additional time off for sickness benefits?
Take them in person to your local office. The updated medical notes will update the length of sick benefits you'll receive
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8677 posts
1533 upvotes
Edmonton
ps1675 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2014 4:12 am
Please help, i didn't report earnings from hours worked while i was on ei because the new job i was working was commission based and i couldn't afford to loose benefits in case i didnt make any money. I have tried to call ei but i can't get thru. What do i do and would the penalty for this?
Keep calling, it's the only thing you can do.
Shouldn't be any penalties since you're correcting it yourself... You'll just owe back what you shouldn't have received.
Jan 15, 2006
118 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Hi folks, I have been working as a warehouse manager for almost 8 years and I gave my two weeks notice last week my last day being the 31st of October. I quit because I was given a warning letter that states the following:

"This is the second major accident you have caused with the forklift due to carelessness.
Standard operating procedure dictates that you check to make sure the skid is free and clear before trying to lift it. Had you done this properly, this accident would not have happened.

Be more careful from now on. A third accident will result in dismissal with cause."

The previous accident occurred more than 4 years ago. The work environment is poor and I quit with no job lined up, because I don't want to get fired. Should I even bother going to the EI office when I get my ROE? Any chance at all I qualify for EI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8677 posts
1533 upvotes
Edmonton
ahbib wrote:
Oct 19th, 2014 2:55 pm
Hi folks, I have been working as a warehouse manager for almost 8 years and I gave my two weeks notice last week my last day being the 31st of October. I quit because I was given a warning letter that states the following:

"This is the second major accident you have caused with the forklift due to carelessness.
Standard operating procedure dictates that you check to make sure the skid is free and clear before trying to lift it. Had you done this properly, this accident would not have happened.

Be more careful from now on. A third accident will result in dismissal with cause."

The previous accident occurred more than 4 years ago. The work environment is poor and I quit with no job lined up, because I don't want to get fired. Should I even bother going to the EI office when I get my ROE? Any chance at all I qualify for EI?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Not really any point not applying, but I don't see any reason why you'd qualify. You've removed yourself from the workforce without just cause and without seeking reasonable alternatives.
Jan 15, 2006
118 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I've never been let go with with cause before (fired), so I thought it was in my best interest to leave. Accidents happen and I do not believe I am prone to them. But it seems my company has a 3 strikes and you're fired rule. It's hard to drive the forklift around with that hanging over your head. I thought I had read something about a company not giving any alternatives but to quit giving me a shot at EI. The alternative is I drive more "carefully" but accidents do happen. I'm still relatively young and have learned from the last 8 years being employed. I don't want to give my company any cause to fire me which is why I gave my notice. Not really the suing type either.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.
Oct 21, 2014
2 posts
I'm a forth year Electrical Computer Engineering student at the University of New Brunswick. Right now there seems to be some issue with my hours and I hope someone can give me some clarification.

Summer 2014: Worked 630 hours, perfect.

Summer 2013: Worked 395 hours, uh oh.

Summer 2012: Worked 350 hours. Even worse.

I never worked during the school semesters. That said, I did get post secondary training approval for THIS year. If I say I was in school this time last year, will that count towards my labour force hours?

From http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/t ... ular.shtml

"You should not confuse the labour force attachment period with the qualifying period. The labour force attachment period is the 52-week period immediately preceding the qualifying period. It corresponds to the number of hours for which a person was a member of the labour force (in other words, the person worked or received earnings, received benefits or compensation, participated in an approved training or other program, was serving a waiting period, or participated in a labour dispute)."

So where it's approved program and it was a full year of classes, does that count towards my labour force? I need 630 hours based on my economic region (Right on the dot)

Thank you in advance, and sorry if something similar has been asked. This is a HUGE thread.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8677 posts
1533 upvotes
Edmonton
ahbib wrote:
Oct 19th, 2014 6:24 pm
I've never been let go with with cause before (fired), so I thought it was in my best interest to leave. Accidents happen and I do not believe I am prone to them. But it seems my company has a 3 strikes and you're fired rule. It's hard to drive the forklift around with that hanging over your head. I thought I had read something about a company not giving any alternatives but to quit giving me a shot at EI. The alternative is I drive more "carefully" but accidents do happen. I'm still relatively young and have learned from the last 8 years being employed. I don't want to give my company any cause to fire me which is why I gave my notice. Not really the suing type either.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.
Replied to your PM
Dec 26, 2006
62 posts
27 upvotes
I apologise If this question has already been answered but my searches did not find any clear responses...

I was laid off after a restructuring with 11 years service. I received a reasonable severance package and will likely find a job before the severance runs out. I've been advised that I should register for EI even if I don't submit any claims. Is there a reason for this - what are the pro's and con's of registering for EI.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8677 posts
1533 upvotes
Edmonton
Jaimo wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 2:21 pm
I apologise If this question has already been answered but my searches did not find any clear responses...

I was laid off after a restructuring with 11 years service. I received a reasonable severance package and will likely find a job before the severance runs out. I've been advised that I should register for EI even if I don't submit any claims. Is there a reason for this - what are the pro's and con's of registering for EI.
If it's straight severance, apply right away. The severance will be allocated at your normal weekly earnings until it runs out. You won't be payable until after this.

If it's salary continuance, apply when it's done.

You don't know if you'll get a job, so there's no sense not applying.
Sep 16, 2014
49 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
hi all.

I will be leaving my job next month. I don't get along well with my co workers as this environment is toxic for me. I have been there for a number of years now. I went to see an employment lawyer and they recommended to deal with it, talk to my employer, or quit and give up all benefits as I dont have enough reason to go on EI for just cause.

My question is with holidays coming up if I take a seasonal or contract job can I work that job, then if I dont get renewed in Jan. go on EI?
Oct 19, 2014
2 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, BC
Hi there,
I'm wondering if i can claim as a sole proprietorship in a year in which I have received EI benefits? I will be claiming a loss with the sole proprietorship.

Thanks, and thanks for offering all of your help to us!
M
Dec 26, 2006
62 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks clseea! - is there a downside to applying for EI?
Oct 15, 2014
6 posts
Vancouver, BC
Hi clseea,

Spoke to my doctor again and I believe I will apply for sickness benefits, as you suggested, but will wait to have worked all insurable hours required for regular benefits, just to be safe. In case I will be dismissed while on sick leave, I understand I can switch from sickness benefits to regular EI once my doctor advises I can go back to work. I called EI and they said I should qualify for regular benefits after my sick leave is over, even if I was dismissed from my job, and not laid off. Hopefully it will not be necessary, as 15 weeks should be enough for me to get back on track. Do you think this would be the best & safest way to go? Thanks