• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2019 2:10 am
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
lachdanan wrote:
May 24th, 2012 4:20 am
Thanks B166. Sorry I wrote the date wrong, it was supposed to be July 15. I can still complete the reports.

Basically what happened is when I logged into EI, I realized the reports are still available, so completed them.

Then I changed my address there and at the end it said I should also call SC for the change. When I called, the agent said to drop it since he said you are still in the non-payable period. I asked what he meant and he said no need to fill the reports till July 15, and if I am still unemployed then reapply online, just like I did last time.

What would you advise?

I will complete the reports as you said though.

this is how it works: your ROE says you are getting severance and vacation pay. EI looks at this as you are technically still getting paid by your employer. so if you make $1000 a week, and your employer gives you $8000 severance, EI looks at it like u are still working for 8 more weeks. this doesn't take away from the amount or length of benefits u get. U dont get paid for the 8 weeks while u get severence, but they also extend your benefit period for 8 weeks so that u don't miss out.

in addition, cause you are not payable within those 8 weeks, you dont "need" to do reports because you're not payable. As Bigger said, i would just reccommend that u just keep completing them to keep the claim open. if you dont do it, really doesn't hurt, but u have to call in and speak to somebody to reactivate it, which can be done over the phone, but u gotta wait through the queue to speak to someone.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10073 posts
1044 upvotes
Brampton
Just curious, EI will let me make $194 a week. What kind of jobs have people been getting to fit that weekly cap? Data entry? McJob? Cash jobs?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 199 and counting. RFD Feedback 54-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
squall458 wrote:
May 24th, 2012 11:19 am
Just curious, EI will let me make $194 a week. What kind of jobs have people been getting to fit that weekly cap? Data entry? McJob? Cash jobs?

$194 seems high, unless that has gone up in 2012. anyways, the allowable is not so that you try and find a job where u make $194 or less. its to say hey go to work, and we'll give you a $194 buffer before we start taking money off.

supposed to encourage people to work, rather than find jobs so that they can still collect full EI
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3446 upvotes
Calgary
squall458 wrote:
May 24th, 2012 11:19 am

Temp part time jobs.
May 23, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
COQUITLAM
Hey, I have a question for you... I cannot for the life of me get through to service Canada on the phone, it is outrageous.

Anyways...
I lost my job due to plant closure on March 30th, I applied for EI and was accepted. My benefits start getting paid in mid June and I recently got a letter from standard life regarding my pension. I am 26, a long way from retirement and this pension was paid into by myself and my former employer. Standard Life tells me the funds are not locked in and can either transfer it to an RRSP or I take a cash payout, but if I take the cash payout will it screw up my EI payments? I lost my job 3 months ago, having a difficult time finding another job and am running out of money for bills. I am at a loss here, I dont know what to do.
If you need more info I can provide it for you.

Any insight or options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
magosti86 wrote:
May 24th, 2012 3:05 pm
Hey, I have a question for you... I cannot for the life of me get through to service Canada on the phone, it is outrageous.

Anyways...
I lost my job due to plant closure on March 30th, I applied for EI and was accepted. My benefits start getting paid in mid June and I recently got a letter from standard life regarding my pension. I am 26, a long way from retirement and this pension was paid into by myself and my former employer. Standard Life tells me the funds are not locked in and can either transfer it to an RRSP or I take a cash payout, but if I take the cash payout will it screw up my EI payments? I lost my job 3 months ago, having a difficult time finding another job and am running out of money for bills. I am at a loss here, I dont know what to do.
If you need more info I can provide it for you.

Any insight or options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

if the pension monies is a return of premiums contributed by only u, then no, they are not considered and earnings and have no effect. if its a pension where you employer matches or pays partial premiums into the pension for u, then the employer premiums are considered earnings, and again will only delay the start date of your claim but u'll still get the full amount.

now i cant remember but i dont think it matters if u took ur pension and put it into ur rrsp, will still count as earnings. BUT i think if u transfer from one locked in pension to another then it doesnt count, but u need a statement to say its locked it
May 22, 2012
738 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks Electricute. Also if I were to move my money to another country to get better interest, would GC be notified about this by the bank?

I just don't know if I would have to report that interest to GC nor would they consider my savings an additional separation monies?

Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3586 posts
237 upvotes
lachdanan wrote:
May 24th, 2012 8:20 pm
Thanks Electricute. Also if I were to move my money to another country to get better interest, would GC be notified about this by the bank?

I just don't know if I would have to report that interest to GC nor would they consider my savings an additional separation monies?

Thanks again.

interest income is not considered as income by EI, (it is for CRA), so for EI u dont need to report interest or investment income, cause basically u didnt work for it.

however, CRA might get something, like foreign investment income
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9659 posts
3446 upvotes
Calgary
Electricute wrote:
May 25th, 2012 9:26 am
interest income is not considered as income by EI, (it is for CRA), so for EI u dont need to report interest or investment income, cause basically u didnt work for it.

however, CRA might get something, like foreign investment income

If he cashes his pension out then wires the money overseas, then it's probably considered as income for allocation purpose.
May 22, 2012
738 posts
37 upvotes
MONTR
Thanks guys. B166 by cashing out pension, do you RRSP stuff? Or just wiring my savings?

If I do this, I would open an account with the same bank in the destination country, and avoid wiring costs. It's not a lot of savings but over $1k they start charging alot otherwise from what I know.

Thanks again.
May 23, 2012
5 posts
1 upvote
COQUITLAM
Electricute wrote:
May 24th, 2012 7:31 pm
if the pension monies is a return of premiums contributed by only u, then no, they are not considered and earnings and have no effect. if its a pension where you employer matches or pays partial premiums into the pension for u, then the employer premiums are considered earnings, and again will only delay the start date of your claim but u'll still get the full amount.

now i cant remember but i dont think it matters if u took ur pension and put it into ur rrsp, will still count as earnings. BUT i think if u transfer from one locked in pension to another then it doesnt count, but u need a statement to say its locked it
So I guess the best thing I can do is go down to the bank, have them fill out the paperwork and transfer the money from Standard Life into my locked RRSP held by the bank. Either way, if I were to take a cash payout id get dinged by the tax man... and also EI!!!
Once this money is locked into my personal RRSP and if I stupidly choose to draw a bit from the account, than it wont affect my EI?
May 24, 2012
1 posts
First of all, let me apologize if I ask the silly question. Can I get EI if I quit the job? I found out NO but by any chance? Moreover, how about getting fired? I learned that we can get EI for this unless that is misconduct. Am I right?
Jan 17, 2010
733 posts
243 upvotes
After sifting through this thread i cant really find the answer to my question.

I have Fulltime JOB A and Partime JOB B.

My Employer of JOB A said I quit and on the ROE they sent says I quit. But my Labour Lawyer says I was terminated and we still have to go and file a claim. I still have Job B.

Am I eligible to claim EI as JOB A was a substantial amount of income?

3 Months have passed and im still with just JOB B and potentially next week i have another JOB A type of job available to start in about 2 weeks. Do i even bother putting in a claim for loss of income for the last 3 months?

My lawyer says once i start a new JOB A we can sue for damages for 3 months.
May 25, 2012
4 posts
VANCOUVER
What happens when you are on EI and suffer from a sports related injury such as a broken arm. I used to work in IT and would still be able to operate a computer. Would this require me to say no to the "i am ready and willing to work" box? and if so what are the potential problems that could arise from this?
May 25, 2012
24 posts
1 upvote
BARRIE
I have a really unique situation that has turned into an EI appeal (it is scheduled for next Tuesday and I am nervous) Hoping you can help:

My husband is in school taking an electrical engineering course for the last three years. He is in LAST semester and this is where all the problems have started. So for three years he has either worked paid mandatory co-op placements OR been in school this course has no scheduled summer breaks. Its strictly co-ops or school. He hasn't collected EI before. This year he happened to have only one semester of school but two semesters of EI which disqualified him from recieveing living allowance for OSAP (just paid the tuition) and as a student we literally live month to month. So a whole bunch of guys in his program in the same situation, working for the same co-ops all applied for ei to tide them over. Well everyone was turned down but one person (the person he carpools with) so everyone else let it go but my husband and we appealed the situation.

The commission said that he was turned down because he could not prove his availability subsection 18(a). I know it is difficult to prove availability because he is a full time student, but the two positions my husband actually wants in the hydro field are both positions that need no education and we had planned and applied for positions allover Canada and we were prepared to leave at any time during school and we have proof of the countless applications he had put out so in this regard I feel quite confident he can prove he was willing and available to leave his program for employment (but I also understands it sounds crazy that somebody would drop out of an engineering program, on the deans list for a job but he really wanted this specialized apprenticeship position that was 100% on the job training, we have proof of this too).....

So when my husband was filling out the initial ap[plication he was between classes and rushed it because he knew there was a deadline for initally applying and he filled out a bunch of questions on the training questionnaire completely wrong. When we called EI and they also called him, we thought we clairified the original answers and they re-recorded everything we said. Instead when I received the appeals docket all the commission said was that they "put more weight into the initial, spontaneous answers than the amended response in light of an unfavourable decision' well I have PROOF everything he initially said that was wrong can be fixed. Also he has looked for ANY job in the last three years, dishwasher, security gaurd, cook....We have countless job searches AND he worked as a cook FT during nights until he was laid off in the slow season while going to school....He is only in class a maximum of 16 hours a week and I have proof of this too....

I just have no idea why one out of a known 10 got EI so easily, when they worked at the exaqct same co-ops and have the same schedule. They never even asked the person for records of job searches....I have all of this and I am ready for my case to be heard and prove my husband is the exceptional cicrustance that can work and attend school (I am representing him as I have limited training as a paralegal and hes really nervous) My question is, is this really hard to win based on being a FT student? What else can I do to be more prepared, I even researched what I beilieve to be relevant case law and prepared everything in a neat and concise appeal rebuttal package and sent it off to the tribunal so they would have a week to review it.

I also know he qualifies for EI after school is over based on the last 52 weeks, but we need it now to survive and I firmly believe he will have a job right after graduating. Your amazingly helpful and I just appreciate you taking all of your time to write these responses for people.