Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 3:26 pm
Jun 4, 2011
198 posts
49 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Can you call and request to speak to an adjudicator who has reviewed your file?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48697 posts
14269 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2011 1:12 pm
This happens quite frequently. Although the ROE states E - Quit, when you file for EI, you can explain the reason for separation, which should be Dismissal. There is sufficient space for you to explain what exactly happened.

The onus of separation, in this case, is on the employer. You did not resign willingly or voluntarily despite what the ROE stated.

Digest 6.3.9 http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_3_9 states specifically

If I voluntarily left my previous employer, and somehow misplaced my ROE, do I contact my past employer and ask for a copy? Or will the ROE records have been automatically forwarded to the government? I was sorting through a lot of documentation and somehow did not locate the ROE, which I know I received in the mail.

How does the government agency treat voluntary resignations? Let's say the 1st job held for five years was a voluntary departure while the 2nd job held for two years was due to a restructuring (involuntary) Will the government count those premiums paid/ weeks employed for both jobs?
b166er1337 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2012 1:51 am
You both agreed that you were unsuitable for the position, and you will be let go at the end of probation regardless. You were basically presented two options: 1) resign right away 2) stick it out for another month and to be dismissed. The onus of separation is on the employer. Therefore, unless the employer can prove that you were dismissed due to your own misconduct, you won't be disqualified.

This is my own interpretation; another agent may view it differently.

So being on probation (say 3 months) and not being subsequently offered a full-time or part-time role makes one eligible for EI benefits if the premiums were paid during this probably period along with EI payments made while at the former job?

I'll read up on those links in the OP but thank you in advance for your offer to help people learn more about EI benefits.
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
caltech26 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 11:27 pm
Can you call and request to speak to an adjudicator who has reviewed your file?

Has a decision been made? If not, of course contact the adjudicator should you have additional information.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
Tesla87 wrote:
May 30th, 2012 10:03 pm
Hi there,

I have been dismissed during the last day of my probation period and due to the personal reason too. I have made a claim and it took almost month and a half for them to get back to me stating that I don't qualify due to lack of hours.

Now, i have a chance to appeal this decision. But i am curious as to what are my chances of getting any EI benefits this time around?
And if possible what are the steps to take in order to come out successful?

Again, i did not quit, i did not under perform or get into disputes. Simply put i was let go on last day of my probation because my boss found me to be "Too frustrating to work with." I have done over 100 overtime hours within 3 months and have never complained about staying behind. I really just wanted to keep a job and get a secure future.

To add, I don't know whether or not to state that I have been yelled at and sworn at a few times during the work hours by my boss, along with the rest of the crew for simply the reason of him having disputes with his wife who happens to work there too.

I don't have enough hours due to the fact I returned to school to finish of my degree. However, I do have 3 years of full time employment prior to return of school.

Been actively looking for work elsewhere too and gotten a few interviews however no calls back after.... i am starting to think that my previous employer is really putting in a bad word in for me too...

So if anyone can help, please do...getting really low on funds here and put a stop to this "harassment"?

Thank you! :confused:

If you don't have enough hours, then you don't have enough hours.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
May 31st, 2012 8:52 am
If I voluntarily left my previous employer, and somehow misplaced my ROE, do I contact my past employer and ask for a copy? Or will the ROE records have been automatically forwarded to the government? I was sorting through a lot of documentation and somehow did not locate the ROE, which I know I received in the mail.

How does the government agency treat voluntary resignations? Let's say the 1st job held for five years was a voluntary departure while the 2nd job held for two years was due to a restructuring (involuntary) Will the government count those premiums paid/ weeks employed for both jobs?

So being on probation and not being subsequently offered a full-time or part-time role makes one eligible for EI benefits if the premiums were paid while at a former job?

I'll read up on those links in the OP but thank you in advance for your offer to help people learn more about EI benefits.

Just call your former employer and request another copy of the ROE. Did you hold both job concurrently? How long ago did you quit the first job?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48697 posts
14269 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
May 31st, 2012 11:58 am
Just call your former employer and request another copy of the ROE. Did you hold both job concurrently? How long ago did you quit the first job?

Thanks b166er1337. Fortunately, I'm still employed. I quit the earlier job in April 2011. No, I didn't work on both jobs concurrently. I'll take your advice and ask for a new ROE be mailed to me just in case...

Just wanted to read up on EI benefits since there may have been changes to it as per media releases and so many reported news of layoffs that I might as well get acquainted with the system. :(
Aeroplan Miles Points for Sale -- only 1.5 cents per mile
aeroplan-miles-points-sale-only-1-5-cen ... #p30504516
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
alanbrenton wrote:
May 31st, 2012 12:02 pm
Thanks b166er1337. Fortunately, I'm still employed. I quit the earlier job in April 2011. No, I didn't work on both jobs concurrently. I'll take your advice and ask for a new ROE be mailed to me just in case...

Just wanted to read up on EI benefits since there may have been changes to it as per media releases and so many reported news of layoffs that I might as well get acquainted with the system. :(

Well, since it was so long ago (over 52 weeks old), it won't be taken into consideration if you apply now. ;)
May 31, 2012
3 posts
ABBOTSFORD
Hello,

I had to quit my job after suffering there for 3.5 years, I started receiving EI benefits and have been looking for work, but alas have been having minimal luck. A family member is looking for someone to cover vacations where they work, probably about 4-6 weeks in total and has asked me if I am interested. How will this affect my EI benefits both short term and long term? For example: 1) will I lose my benefits entirely? 2) will I just lose the benefits for th weeks that I am working? 3) since the pay at this temporary job is considerably lower than the job I am trained for will taking these 4-6 weeks affect the amount of EI benefits I currently receive? 4) and finally, I believe I was granted 42 or 45 weeks of EI over 52 weeks, if worst case senario occurs and I don't get a permanent job for a long time will I still have 42 or 45 weeks total or will I lose these 4-6 weeks of EI benefits (are they tacked on to the end up to 52 weeks?)? Thanks so much in advance
May 31, 2012
2 posts
UCLUELET
Hello, I was Googling EI frustrations and came across your thread... excellent!

I want to say thank you for sharing all your wisdom and I am hoping you can help with mine as well...

3 months ago, I was terminated from my employment for a few different reasons. One of them was that my position was being outsourced, one was that I was suffering from medical issues (I never missed a single day of work due to medical; once a month I changed a day off so that I could attend a doctor appt and this was always cleared with my manager 2 weeks in advance. I never thought my work suffered; my employer never said a single word until the termination-on-the-spot). My ROE was put down as M-Dismissal with the incorrect start date. I asked for an amended ROE but it was never done, so after speaking with Service Canada I sent in the incorrect ROE (the employer doesn't do ROEWeb).

I applied for EI in March and still have not heard anything. I've called and spoken with them twice (after days/weeks of getting the "too busy/we cannot place you in the queue" message). Both times, the agent expressed sympathy that my claim hadn't been processed, promised to escalate it, then told me to wait 5 business days and on the 6th business day I should call them if I haven't received a call.

I have a few questions...
1. Since my ROE stated M-Dismissal but I explained things in the application, do I have a chance of getting EI? I was under the impression that
A. Outsourcing a position may constitute as Shortage of Work. The company decided to outsource 6 hours away and I was never asked if I was willing to relocate.
B. Medical concerns. I didn't think you could terminate someone for medical?

2. If my claim was escalated more than once, does this mean it could be escalated again?

I would love to hear back about my claim either way, but it's been 6 weeks... and I know lots of people that have been waiting even longer.

Thank you for your help!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1517 posts
645 upvotes
Kanada
Anyone else having technnical problems (timeout errors) when trying to log into My Service Canada Account since Friday evening ?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
Uberconfused wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 5:02 pm
Hello,

I had to quit my job after suffering there for 3.5 years, I started receiving EI benefits and have been looking for work, but alas have been having minimal luck. A family member is looking for someone to cover vacations where they work, probably about 4-6 weeks in total and has asked me if I am interested. How will this affect my EI benefits both short term and long term? For example: 1) will I lose my benefits entirely? 2) will I just lose the benefits for th weeks that I am working? 3) since the pay at this temporary job is considerably lower than the job I am trained for will taking these 4-6 weeks affect the amount of EI benefits I currently receive? 4) and finally, I believe I was granted 42 or 45 weeks of EI over 52 weeks, if worst case senario occurs and I don't get a permanent job for a long time will I still have 42 or 45 weeks total or will I lose these 4-6 weeks of EI benefits (are they tacked on to the end up to 52 weeks?)? Thanks so much in advance

no you won't lose you benefits. You can make 40% of your EI without affecting your benefit rate. Log into your Service Canada website and it should tell you your allowable earnings. Anything over this allowable is deducted dollar by dollar from your benefits.

You won't lose 4-6 weeks of benefits.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
csbookkeeper wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 9:29 pm
Hello, I was Googling EI frustrations and came across your thread... excellent!

I want to say thank you for sharing all your wisdom and I am hoping you can help with mine as well...

3 months ago, I was terminated from my employment for a few different reasons. One of them was that my position was being outsourced, one was that I was suffering from medical issues (I never missed a single day of work due to medical; once a month I changed a day off so that I could attend a doctor appt and this was always cleared with my manager 2 weeks in advance. I never thought my work suffered; my employer never said a single word until the termination-on-the-spot). My ROE was put down as M-Dismissal with the incorrect start date. I asked for an amended ROE but it was never done, so after speaking with Service Canada I sent in the incorrect ROE (the employer doesn't do ROEWeb).

I applied for EI in March and still have not heard anything. I've called and spoken with them twice (after days/weeks of getting the "too busy/we cannot place you in the queue" message). Both times, the agent expressed sympathy that my claim hadn't been processed, promised to escalate it, then told me to wait 5 business days and on the 6th business day I should call them if I haven't received a call.

I have a few questions...
1. Since my ROE stated M-Dismissal but I explained things in the application, do I have a chance of getting EI? I was under the impression that
A. Outsourcing a position may constitute as Shortage of Work. The company decided to outsource 6 hours away and I was never asked if I was willing to relocate.
B. Medical concerns. I didn't think you could terminate someone for medical?

2. If my claim was escalated more than once, does this mean it could be escalated again?

I would love to hear back about my claim either way, but it's been 6 weeks... and I know lots of people that have been waiting even longer.

Thank you for your help!

The employer can terminate anyone for any reason. What they have to do is to provide proper notice. I wouldn't worried about the incorrect start date (what was the actual start date and what's on the ROE?) if all other information (insurable hours/earnings/last day of work) is accurate.

If you applied in March, it's already June. The only way to escalate is to complain to your MP's office in person. Give it a try and let us know how it turn out.
May 31, 2012
3 posts
ABBOTSFORD
b166er1337 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2012 9:22 pm
no you won't lose you benefits. You can make 40% of your EI without affecting your benefit rate. Log into your Service Canada website and it should tell you your allowable earnings. Anything over this allowable is deducted dollar by dollar from your benefits.

You won't lose 4-6 weeks of benefits.

So, just to make sure I'm clear on this... If I work 40 hours/week for 4-6 weeks (which ends up equivalent to what I would be getting on EI per week), after I will still be able to receive the same EI benefits I received prior to working these hours. Also the 4-6 weeks of work will not be subtracted from my overall claim weeks provided I do not go over 52 weeks.

Thanks again... I just need to be sure before I agree to help.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9594 posts
3332 upvotes
Calgary
Uberconfused wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2012 2:17 pm
So, just to make sure I'm clear on this... If I work 40 hours/week for 4-6 weeks (which ends up equivalent to what I would be getting on EI per week), after I will still be able to receive the same EI benefits I received prior to working these hours. Also the 4-6 weeks of work will not be subtracted from my overall claim weeks provided I do not go over 52 weeks.

Thanks again... I just need to be sure before I agree to help.

PM me the actual numbers and I will lay it out for you.
Aug 30, 2008
845 posts
102 upvotes
ON
My questions:

1. When someone applies for EI, what are the implications for the former employer? Will the former employer know that a particular employee applied for EI? I read on another page that it's up to the former employer to prove "willful misconduct" or something of that nature - so that's why I wonder whether they are notified. Will a huge "he said, she said" type argument end up ensuing? Also do former employees applying for EI actually affect the employer in any way? (Financially or other?)

Thank you for the helpful thread!