EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 2:43 pm
Mar 28, 2006
80 posts
1 upvote
awesome thread!

quick question

I left one FT job to for a FT job that paid 15k more in annual salary.. would that be just cause?

Furthermore, this new job dismissed me last month due to "not fostering to the team environment" which I think is ********. My manager spoke to me once and I tried to rectify the situation my even working during my bereavement leave to help my collegues with month end duties. My other analyst admitted to me that he felt threatened by me because I knew more than him and I believe he's told my manager that I'm not helping out, leaving early, coming late, etc which is why I got dismissed. EI wants me to fill out a fired form. What should I do? Do you think I will be successful in my claim? I really need the benefit.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
3980 posts
2840 upvotes
hey, I m on my maternity leave right now, which will be ending in Sept. I just found out that my company have restructed and I m no long employed with them. I took sick leave last year June-Sept and continued with my maternity and parental right after it. Am I qualify for EI if I m not able to find a job after my mat leave is done?? thanks
Jun 5, 2012
3 posts
My husband currently works out of town and comes home every other weekend. I work full time, and since he has been gone, our 3 year old is showing signs of stress. What chances do I have off getting EI benefits to care for her? Would it require a doctors note?
Feb 27, 2011
5 posts
Ottawa
Hi,

I posted previously about recieving antedated benefits for pat leave. I have received confirmation from service Canada that my benefits will be antedated which is great news. However, I have not received payment to date and it has been more than 3 weeks since I was notified that my benefits would be antedated. When I contacted SC, they said that the transaction department has not yet processed the payment.

So i'm wondering what the average waiting period would be for this? Is it another 28 days? Is there an average or range?

Also, is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Thanks.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
kikar wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 3:46 pm
awesome thread!

quick question

I left one FT job to for a FT job that paid 15k more in annual salary.. would that be just cause?

Furthermore, this new job dismissed me last month due to "not fostering to the team environment" which I think is ********. My manager spoke to me once and I tried to rectify the situation my even working during my bereavement leave to help my collegues with month end duties. My other analyst admitted to me that he felt threatened by me because I knew more than him and I believe he's told my manager that I'm not helping out, leaving early, coming late, etc which is why I got dismissed. EI wants me to fill out a fired form. What should I do? Do you think I will be successful in my claim? I really need the benefit.

Yes. And you should have no problem getting EI, as long as your new employer can not prove you are dismissed due to wilful misconduct.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
connorpreston wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 9:37 am
Hi,

I posted previously about recieving antedated benefits for pat leave. I have received confirmation from service Canada that my benefits will be antedated which is great news. However, I have not received payment to date and it has been more than 3 weeks since I was notified that my benefits would be antedated. When I contacted SC, they said that the transaction department has not yet processed the payment.

So i'm wondering what the average waiting period would be for this? Is it another 28 days? Is there an average or range?

Also, is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Thanks.

It shouldn't take that long. When I approved an antedate request, I usually processed the payment on the same day.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3210 upvotes
Calgary
mother99 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2012 11:53 pm
My husband currently works out of town and comes home every other weekend. I work full time, and since he has been gone, our 3 year old is showing signs of stress. What chances do I have off getting EI benefits to care for her? Would it require a doctors note?

Read digest 6.5.6: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_6
In order to show just cause, the claimant would have to show that voluntarily leaving employment was undertaken only when all reasonable alternatives had been exhausted. Once the claimant has proven they had no reasonable alternative but to leave their employment to care for the close family member it will be difficult for them to prove they are available and capable of working and therefore entitled to collect regular benefits.
In other words, your voluntary leaving may be allowed, but you're probably Not Available for full time work, which means you won't be entitled to regular benefits as long as you aren't available for full time work.
May 22, 2012
732 posts
39 upvotes
MONTR
Btw I forgot to ask another thing. In the papers that told me I wasn't payable for now, another paper said:

"We have approved your claim for employment insurance benefits, even though we did not have the original record(s) of employment from your company. Please send us the original record(s) of employment to us immediately or we may stop your claim.

..."

Do they mean I have to send them actual papers not photocopies? Because my company didn't give me any papers but only sent me a PDF via email. Should I tell this to GC via letter or phone?

Thanks again guys.
Mar 31, 2012
2 posts
SOOKE
I am confused about the two week waiting period. I know you have to be without work or income. If my last paycheque comes one week after I'm laid off, does that extend the waiting period or not?
Jun 5, 2012
3 posts
Along with the stress that our 3 year old seems to be under since my husband started working from away, we have decided to that the rest of our family will seriously consider moving with my husband. How soon before our move could I make an EI claim, as I would be moving with my spouse because he took a much better job. Do you have to wait until you are relocated or are you allowed to make the claim while you are still preparing for the move?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3565 posts
226 upvotes
mother99 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 10:41 pm
Along with the stress that our 3 year old seems to be under since my husband started working from away, we have decided to that the rest of our family will seriously consider moving with my husband. How soon before our move could I make an EI claim, as I would be moving with my spouse because he took a much better job. Do you have to wait until you are relocated or are you allowed to make the claim while you are still preparing for the move?

the quiting work to stay at home and care for your kid is not going to work, wont get approved cause your not willing to work.

the quitting to folow a spouse will work esp if u have a kid together. now i cant remember the timeline but i cant see u apply and started a claim more than 2 weeks from the move. but EI would never find out anyways
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3565 posts
226 upvotes
wandamil wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 10:36 pm
I am confused about the two week waiting period. I know you have to be without work or income. If my last paycheque comes one week after I'm laid off, does that extend the waiting period or not?

no, ur receiving money that you've already earned, therefore wont count as earnings int he waiting period. money is allocated tot he week in which u earn it, not when u receive it.

however, vacation pay and severance pay counts as earnings and will push back the waiting period, so it depends what the last cheque is for
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3565 posts
226 upvotes
lachdanan wrote:
Jun 7th, 2012 6:01 pm
Btw I forgot to ask another thing. In the papers that told me I wasn't payable for now, another paper said:

"We have approved your claim for employment insurance benefits, even though we did not have the original record(s) of employment from your company. Please send us the original record(s) of employment to us immediately or we may stop your claim.

..."

Do they mean I have to send them actual papers not photocopies? Because my company didn't give me any papers but only sent me a PDF via email. Should I tell this to GC via letter or phone?

Thanks again guys.

yes send original and keep photocopy for yourself, u dont need the original for anything else. or print out a copy and get employer to sign saying that it is a true copy of original
Jun 5, 2012
3 posts
Electricute wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 9:38 am
the quiting work to stay at home and care for your kid is not going to work, wont get approved cause your not willing to work.

the quitting to folow a spouse will work esp if u have a kid together. now i cant remember the timeline but i cant see u apply and started a claim more than 2 weeks from the move. but EI would never find out anyways
So if I quit a month or so before our move I can't apply then? Because he is away it would take me much longer to get our stuff packed up, plus I would need to be available to go back and forth until we find a home to buy. Plus our kids have some commitments before we go.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3565 posts
226 upvotes
mother99 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2012 10:08 am
So if I quit a month or so before our move I can't apply then? Because he is away it would take me much longer to get our stuff packed up, plus I would need to be available to go back and forth until we find a home to buy. Plus our kids have some commitments before we go.

you will have to double check, but basically u need to be available for work. if you are moving and doing other things where u cant work then EI wont pay u.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)