Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 11:54 pm
Feb 26, 2015
3 posts
Red Deer, AB
Hello
I'm looking for some advice on the following situation.
I have been having trouble with a fellow employee (let's call her V) for months, she is hard to communicate with, she does things incorrectly or doesn't do them at all or forgets, this reflects on the work of the entire team. She does the whole Jeckyl & Hyde thing, so you never know what is going to happen, when you speak to her. Often says she was never told or that she forgot, and always blames someone else and gets very defensive, "V" treats most of her co-workers this way. I have tried many different approaches, asked friends, family as well as my supervisors for advice. I have gone to my Employer on more than one occasion, while she did offer some great suggestions on how I should approach "V" with work related issues, more recently, I feel that she is making excuses for "V's" behavior. The entire situation is having a negative effect on my health both mentally and physically, with anxiety & Jaw clenching & migraines.
The fall in oil price, has effected my work place. Several weeks ago, in a meeting with the entire staff (there are 18 of us) my employer asked us to cut our hours, we were told how many we were expect to cut, her expectation was that everyone would reduce their hours and if we didn't she would do it for us. Before I was part time, now I am VERY part time. Last week we were warned to expect more cuts.
In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that my employers' attitude toward me has been different. Just this week she has accused me of sabotaging "V" to get her into trouble and to make her look bad. She also keeps reminding that I am very, part time by my own choice. The things she says to me and how shes says them are making me wondering if she is trying to "push" me into quitting.
I LOVE my job, I really enjoy the work I do and take a lot of pride in it. The whole situation makes me very sad and stressed. What are my options? Advise would be appreciated. Thank You.
Sep 24, 2006
597 posts
60 upvotes
Guelph, On
I think I know the answer by reading this forum every day and I know you guys are super helpful.
Of course on EI, I just got a full time job in my field and I start Monday but I will only be working part time working 15hours a week for one month. Then when the girl I am replacing leaves April 1st I go full time taking over her job.
When do I tell EI I am got a full time job - after the one month part time or tell them now and claim the 15hours and they will deduct the money from my EI until end of March.
thank you
Feb 26, 2015
3 posts
Red Deer, AB
Good Day,
Many stressful things are going on at my workplace, hours being reduced, a co-worker with a Jeckyl & Hyde personality, a Boss that is constantly changing her mind and work procedure, then forgetting she made the change and yelling at staff asking why they're doing it that way, on and on and on.
I LOVE my job, I enjoy the work I do and take great pride in doing it. Lately, I almost feel like my boss is trying to get rid of me. She has been making comments and false accusations about me. It's like she wants to make me quit or baiting me, so that if I respond negatively, she will have "just cause" for termination. I would like some advice on what to do. I welcome all advice. Thank you.
Sep 7, 2014
2 posts
Surrey, BC
Good afternoon,

I have the following situation and I'm unsure if I was will be asked to repay my EI claim or not. Please advise.

After losing two job last year, I decided my only option was to finish my degree at College. I was told to go through WorkBC for sanction to claim my EI whilst going to school, but when I contacted them one month prior to starting, they told me that since I'm working 20 hours and already enrolled, that they couldn't do anything for me. I chose to continue going ahead with school and receiving my EI, as I was told that this is usually not an issue as long as I state that I am attending school in my claim and they would cut me off if there's any objections. I later read that this was not the case and that I need to have a form filled out that showed I was attending school, which I hadn't done. I did still always check off that I am attending "Training or School" on every claim.

My EI claim is done now and the period I'm referring to was only September to December of 2014. I'm worried that if I claim my full-time University credits and it is cross-referenced that I received EI during this period that I will have to pay it all back with penalties. Am I just being overly paranoid, or is this something I should be aware might happen when I file my income taxes?

I've continued to look for full-time work (taking only 7-10pm classes), but was only able to keep my 20-hour job while at school. The difference for the 20-hour was all I was given each week.

Thank you.
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15454 posts
1362 upvotes
Scarborough
redflagdeal3 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2015 10:09 am
clseea's answer to your question was very clear.
Your question was my experience too so I understood your question. You wanted to know that, say after 10 weeks you still haven't found a job, will you receive a 11th week of EI because you are entitled to 10 weeks and have received only 9 so far. clseea's answer was: no.
i'm so confused. cleseea's answer below implies i have 52 weeks to collect those 10 weeks of entitlement. so i can decide to take a 2 week vacation in the middle of my 10 weeks, and still in the end collect 10 weeks if i'm still unemployed... no?

clseea wrote:
Feb 24th, 2015 12:34 am
Your benefit period lasts 52 weeks. You have those 52 weeks to collect whatever your entitlement is.
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
actng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 7:22 pm
i'm so confused. cleseea's answer below implies i have 52 weeks to collect those 10 weeks of entitlement. so i can decide to take a 2 week vacation in the middle of my 10 weeks, and still in the end collect 10 weeks if i'm still unemployed... no?
Some how I didn't interpret cleseea's answer that way, and what you wrote above didn't match my understanding when I asked EI long time ago. Maybe I didn't understand correctly, but I never took a vacation while on EI after I asked EI. Now that you said, I realized a major difference in your question and mine (when I asked IE long ago): you are entitled to 10 weeks, whereas I was asking a general question and didn't think about how many weeks I was entitled to (I was entitled to the whole 50-ish weeks) and "Your benefit period lasts 52 weeks. You have those 52 weeks to collect whatever your entitlement is."
Sorry for confusing you. I take my answer back.
Feb 27, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello

I quit my full time job of 3 years after being offered a full time position with another company at a much higher salary. I had been in a lengthy 4 month interview process and was emailed the Job offer at the end of January. I accepted the offer with the start date of March 2nd then gave my previous employer 2 weeks notice that I was quitting. My last day was Feb 13th. I then went on vacation for almost 2 weeks and during my vacation I was notified that my start date was pushed from March 2nd to April 6th. I now have a signed contract with the April 6th start date for my new job. I have applied for EI for the time between Employment( excluding my vacation time of course).
I am wondering if if I meet the eligibility requirements as I have more than "reasonable assurance" of other employment.

Thank you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
Nambin wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 12:25 am
I had been injured at work and I went for medical leave without EI for 5 weeks. I went back to work injured and I tried to ask for a change in my role. The role I was hired for was not being of benefit to the organization, but they needed someone to do other jobs that adjusted to my medical condition. My direct boss did not agree to the change in my role; therefore, I asked the doctor to give me the medical leave to take EI and go under treatment.

I have already obtained the ROE from the human resources lady (reason: injury), the doctor’s certificate, and I applied online for EI yesterday.

I know I am not planning in going back after the 3 months medical leave but what is my best strategy in front of my boss? I have only emailed him that I was in medical leave, I have not seen him and I know he will probably ask what I am planning to do

What should I do?
Medical leave and pretend I will go back until the 3 months are over, then quit?
Medical leave and quit sometime in the next month?
Medical leave and quit at the same time, meaning quitting now?

Can I be fired while in medical leave? Before I presented my medical leave at work, I heard my boss wanted to fire me.

Thanks so much for your help!
Unless you have just cause for quitting, why quit?
Tell your boss whatever you feel is best, that's up to you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
xcaliber81 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 1:58 pm
What are the odds of ei paying for my class 1? I dont have any tickets for anything really and I have 2 kids and a wife to support so I am limited as to what I can make per hr. I went to work bc and I have to do workshops next week and a job search sheet I have to fill out,
How much work am I supposed to look for?
Is ei going to call places I have applied at? seems kind of ***** for a company to keep small follow up details right?
Am I just wasting my time?
EI won't. Contact your provincial training authority.
Make credible efforts to find employment. There's not a magical number.
Yes, they may call. They may not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
AlbertaFarmGirltoo wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 2:18 pm
Hello
I'm looking for some advice on the following situation.
I have been having trouble with a fellow employee (let's call her V) for months, she is hard to communicate with, she does things incorrectly or doesn't do them at all or forgets, this reflects on the work of the entire team. She does the whole Jeckyl & Hyde thing, so you never know what is going to happen, when you speak to her. Often says she was never told or that she forgot, and always blames someone else and gets very defensive, "V" treats most of her co-workers this way. I have tried many different approaches, asked friends, family as well as my supervisors for advice. I have gone to my Employer on more than one occasion, while she did offer some great suggestions on how I should approach "V" with work related issues, more recently, I feel that she is making excuses for "V's" behavior. The entire situation is having a negative effect on my health both mentally and physically, with anxiety & Jaw clenching & migraines.
The fall in oil price, has effected my work place. Several weeks ago, in a meeting with the entire staff (there are 18 of us) my employer asked us to cut our hours, we were told how many we were expect to cut, her expectation was that everyone would reduce their hours and if we didn't she would do it for us. Before I was part time, now I am VERY part time. Last week we were warned to expect more cuts.
In the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that my employers' attitude toward me has been different. Just this week she has accused me of sabotaging "V" to get her into trouble and to make her look bad. She also keeps reminding that I am very, part time by my own choice. The things she says to me and how shes says them are making me wondering if she is trying to "push" me into quitting.
I LOVE my job, I really enjoy the work I do and take a lot of pride in it. The whole situation makes me very sad and stressed. What are my options? Advise would be appreciated. Thank You.
Your options are to suck it up, quit outright, get medical advice to take time off or quit. But if you're that part time what's the point in quitting?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
anastasia1009 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 4:06 pm
I think I know the answer by reading this forum every day and I know you guys are super helpful.
Of course on EI, I just got a full time job in my field and I start Monday but I will only be working part time working 15hours a week for one month. Then when the girl I am replacing leaves April 1st I go full time taking over her job.
When do I tell EI I am got a full time job - after the one month part time or tell them now and claim the 15hours and they will deduct the money from my EI until end of March.
thank you
Declare hours and earnings until you start full time. Then declare full time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
actng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 7:22 pm
Your benefit period lasts 52 weeks. You have those 52 weeks to collect your entitlement. Obviously if you're only entitled to 10 weeks and you go on vacation for 2 weeks, you still have weeks within your benefit period to collect the balance of your entitlement.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8555 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton
Parkdale416 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 3:38 pm
Hello

I quit my full time job of 3 years after being offered a full time position with another company at a much higher salary. I had been in a lengthy 4 month interview process and was emailed the Job offer at the end of January. I accepted the offer with the start date of March 2nd then gave my previous employer 2 weeks notice that I was quitting. My last day was Feb 13th. I then went on vacation for almost 2 weeks and during my vacation I was notified that my start date was pushed from March 2nd to April 6th. I now have a signed contract with the April 6th start date for my new job. I have applied for EI for the time between Employment( excluding my vacation time of course).
I am wondering if if I meet the eligibility requirements as I have more than "reasonable assurance" of other employment.

Thank you
Ya that should be fine.. Although you need to be looking for work still