Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
zestastic wrote:
Feb 27th, 2015 6:45 pm
Good afternoon,

I have the following situation and I'm unsure if I was will be asked to repay my EI claim or not. Please advise.

After losing two job last year, I decided my only option was to finish my degree at College. I was told to go through WorkBC for sanction to claim my EI whilst going to school, but when I contacted them one month prior to starting, they told me that since I'm working 20 hours and already enrolled, that they couldn't do anything for me. I chose to continue going ahead with school and receiving my EI, as I was told that this is usually not an issue as long as I state that I am attending school in my claim and they would cut me off if there's any objections. I later read that this was not the case and that I need to have a form filled out that showed I was attending school, which I hadn't done. I did still always check off that I am attending "Training or School" on every claim.

My EI claim is done now and the period I'm referring to was only September to December of 2014. I'm worried that if I claim my full-time University credits and it is cross-referenced that I received EI during this period that I will have to pay it all back with penalties. Am I just being overly paranoid, or is this something I should be aware might happen when I file my income taxes?

I've continued to look for full-time work (taking only 7-10pm classes), but was only able to keep my 20-hour job while at school. The difference for the 20-hour was all I was given each week.

Thank you.
If you truthfully declared everything in your reports you're fine. School is sort of on the honour system since they don't reeeaaallyy know how many hours you're spending.
Oct 30, 2011
55 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
I have been collecting EI in this latest session since October. I am not sure how many weeks I have left in my current session/file.
But lately I have been able to pick up freelance jobs here and some weeks I am making close to what I was making before. Probably enough that I would not get an EI benefit.

Is it advisable to close my current file? Or is there a way to "skip" weeks so that I can save them for times when freelance income is low?
I was going to visit a Service Canada office in the next few days to get some advice, but thought I would try here first.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9730 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
feflower wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 7:10 am
I have been collecting EI in this latest session since October. I am not sure how many weeks I have left in my current session/file.
But lately I have been able to pick up freelance jobs here and some weeks I am making close to what I was making before. Probably enough that I would not get an EI benefit.

Is it advisable to close my current file? Or is there a way to "skip" weeks so that I can save them for times when freelance income is low?
I was going to visit a Service Canada office in the next few days to get some advice, but thought I would try here first.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
If you want to "save" your entitlement weeks, you can declare you found full time job on the claimant's report.

Of course, you should know how many weeks you have left.
Oct 30, 2011
55 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 10:16 am
If you want to "save" your entitlement weeks, you can declare you found full time job on the claimant's report.

Of course, you should know how many weeks you have left.
Thank you! One more followup question.
Week to week my income will fluctuate greatly.
I assume though that if this is the only way, I can't simply declare full-time job and then "undeclared" it the next week or few weeks after that?

I guess I will just have to make a decision and live with it....

Thanks again.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9730 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
feflower wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 10:36 am
Thank you! One more followup question.
Week to week my income will fluctuate greatly.
I assume though that if this is the only way, I can't simply declare full-time job and then "undeclared" it the next week or few weeks after that?

I guess I will just have to make a decision and live with it....

Thanks again.
Another option is to declare you are unavailable for work for that particular week. You won't be paid for that week but it saves your entitlement. For example if you make $1000 in week 1 and $100 in week 2, declare you are unavailable for work in week 1 so you still get a partial payment for week 2.
Oct 30, 2011
55 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 11:10 am
Another option is to declare you are unavailable for work for that particular week. You won't be paid for that week but it saves your entitlement. For example if you make $1000 in week 1 and $100 in week 2, declare you are unavailable for work in week 1 so you still get a partial payment for week 2.

Thank you I will consider. My only concern is that this is a little misleading...? It wouldn't get me into trouble...?

Thanks again.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9730 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
feflower wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 11:19 am
Thank you I will consider. My only concern is that this is a little misleading...? It wouldn't get me into trouble...?

Thanks again.
Not at all. You are actually being honest because you are not available for other full time job which would disentitle your from receiving benefits for that particular week.
Oct 30, 2011
55 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 11:38 am
Not at all. You are actually being honest because you are not available for other full time job which would disentitle your from receiving benefits for that particular week.
That makes complete sense. Thank you for your patience with my paranoia.
Dec 12, 2006
14 posts
I had an EI claim that was approved in November 2014, before the end of my severance period I accepted another position in January. After starting the position I have found that it's not a fit for me and the workload is overwhelming. There was 3 people doing the job before I was hired and now there are 2 and we are both struggling to keep up, I spoke with my boss about the potential for another employee and I don't think it's happening, at least anytime soon. I am actively looking and trying to hold on until finding something else, if I decide to leave what is the potential a regular benefits claim would be granted?

Thanks
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9730 posts
3581 upvotes
Calgary
DTraveller wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 12:22 pm
I had an EI claim that was approved in November 2014, before the end of my severance period I accepted another position in January. After starting the position I have found that it's not a fit for me and the workload is overwhelming. There was 3 people doing the job before I was hired and now there are 2 and we are both struggling to keep up, I spoke with my boss about the potential for another employee and I don't think it's happening, at least anytime soon. I am actively looking and trying to hold on until finding something else, if I decide to leave what is the potential a regular benefits claim would be granted?

Thanks
No, unless you can demonstrate this job causes adverse effect on your health, or that this job is dangerous or illegal or unpaid overtime/salary. From your description, it doesn't seem to provide you with just cause.
Mar 1, 2015
5 posts
Richmond, BC
Hi there,

In November, I rec'd a laidoff notice from the company which I had been working for 2.5 years and then I was referred to work to another company right away. However, the "new" employer said I was not suitable the position and terminate me after working with them for 1 month only. I submitted the ROE, which was given by the 1st employer and applied EI and an additional info of the final employer with ROE was provided 3 weeks later.

According to my account at Service Canada, it said they have received additional information and no decision has been made. I don't need to contract Service Canada unless I have another new info to provide. Unfortunately, such note remains unchanged until mid-Feb. I dropped by the Service Centre to ask and the agent told me that someone is working on file but no clues why it takes so long. He put a note on my application to request it should be proceed within 5 working day.

More than a week, it remains unchanged. So, I dropped by again. The agent said your file should be assigned by someone. If you don't received call within 2 days. Come back.

Again, my application hadn't proceeded and the agent responded "I will put your app. on "urgent" and you should expect receive a call next business day". If not, come back.

I did receive a call TODAY, the agent was not friendly though. She said it is my responsibility to provide a proof to show I'm an active job seeker within last 2 weeks. If they think my job searching, including cover letter or resume, are inappropriate. They will stop my payment (even I haven't received any payment since I submitted!).

Question:

1. In my resume, I wrote I worked with the 1st Company till December instead of November and had not include the "one-month-working" in the new company, would it make the agent think I'm misrepresent the info? The reason why I didn't include the new company as I didn't want to give a "negative" impression for the future employer and I believe my former employer is willing to help me when they rec'd a call for reference checked.

2. If I "amend" the date back to November and presented it to the agent. Will the agent check with the Company which I was applying a job?

3. what's the judgment criteria for the agent to "think" the claimer's job searching method is not appropriate?

Your inputs are highly appreciated!

Million Thanks!
Mar 1, 2015
5 posts
Richmond, BC
Hi there,

In November, I rec'd a laidoff notice from the company which I had been working for 2.5 years and then I was referred to work to another company right away. However, the "new" employer said I was not suitable the position and terminate me after working with them for 1 month only. I submitted the ROE, which was given by the 1st employer and applied EI and an additional info of the final employer with ROE was provided 3 weeks later.

According to my account at Service Canada, it said they have received additional information and no decision has been made. I don't need to contract Service Canada unless I have another new info to provide. Unfortunately, such note remains unchanged until mid-Feb. I dropped by the Service Centre to ask and the agent told me that someone is working on file but no clues why it takes so long. He put a note on my application to request it should be proceed within 5 working day.

More than a week, it remains unchanged. So, I dropped by again. The agent said your file should be assigned by someone. If you don't received call within 2 days. Come back.

Again, my application hadn't proceeded and the agent responded "I will put your app. on "urgent" and you should expect receive a call next business day". If not, come back.

I did receive a call TODAY, the agent was not friendly though. She said it is my responsibility to provide a proof to show I'm an active job seeker within last 2 weeks. If they think my job searching, including cover letter or resume, are inappropriate. They will stop my payment (even I haven't received any payment since I submitted!).

Question:

1. In my resume, I wrote I worked with the 1st Company till December instead of November and had not include the "one-month-working" in the new company, would it make the agent think I'm misrepresent the info? The reason why I didn't include the new company as I didn't want to give a "negative" impression for the future employer and I believe my former employer is willing to help me when they rec'd a call for reference checked.

2. If I "amend" the date back to November and presented it to the agent. Will the agent check with the Company which I was applying a job?

3. what's the judgment criteria for the agent to "think" the claimer's job searching method is not appropriate?

Million Thanks!
Nov 19, 2012
341 posts
154 upvotes
I am a contract teacher and my contract ends March 27th. If I apply for EI on the 27th, can I still take sub days during the first 2 weeks or would a work day void my week of waiting?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
tddoucette wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 9:00 pm
I am a contract teacher and my contract ends March 27th. If I apply for EI on the 27th, can I still take sub days during the first 2 weeks or would a work day void my week of waiting?
Any money earned during your waiting period gets deducted from when you become payable. It doesn't void a week, unless you're not otherwise payable at all
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8547 posts
1495 upvotes
Edmonton
Cunningchu wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 7:04 pm
Hi there,

Question:

Million Thanks!
First, when did you apply?
Second, what does the ROE for the second employer say for the reason you stopped working? Exactly which code, and what explanation (if any)?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)