Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 11:09 am
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
The # 1-800-531-7555, it is so difficult to be put in the hold queue.
Nov 12, 2010
266 posts
61 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
I have a friend who has been searching for his first job since his graduation from university 13 years ago. Is it possible to receive EI for 13 years?

If possible, what kind of form does he have to fill out?

Thanks!
Electrical Engineering Professor Mark77 wrote:I have been unemployed for 13 years and there is nothing wrong with me. I'm serious!!!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9785 posts
3690 upvotes
Calgary
Kalimoor wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 5:11 pm
I have a friend who has been searching for his first job since his graduation from university 13 years ago. Is it possible to receive EI for 13 years?

If possible, what kind of form does he have to fill out?

Thanks!
For every one else, they are out of luck. However for professor Mark77, he probably is approved of EI for life. So don't worry about him.
Nov 12, 2010
266 posts
61 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 5:21 pm
For every one else, they are out of luck. However for professor Mark77, he probably is approved of EI for life. So don't worry about him.
Thank you, Mr. b166er1337.
Electrical Engineering Professor Mark77 wrote:I have been unemployed for 13 years and there is nothing wrong with me. I'm serious!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
testmann wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 2:36 pm
Hello,

Long story short, I was being let go by an employer last week and I wonder if I'm eligible to receive EI.
I've been working at this company since September 2014. In the beginning I was in a contract position but later I became a full-timer and of course the insurance fee has been deducted from my paychecks since the very beginning.
I don't think this is ROE but the letter I've got from the company when I was being let go basically states that they are terminating me without cause. I don't even know what that means.
Anyway I had to sign on the letter and sent it to the company.
Yesterday, I have applied to EI through Canada service web site. There was a section that I had to choose the reason for being terminated. Non of them was applied to my situation, so I chose "misconduct" because it didn't have any follow up questions. Could this be a big mistake?
Some friends say I can get EI but some don't. Nothing's sure about my situation and I'm starting get worried about it. Of course I have already started looking for a job but who knows, it will take some time.
Could someone give me some advice on my situation?
Thanks in advance.
Misconduct means you did something wrong so I don't know why you chose that. Call in to clarify, but once the ROE is submitted, and provided it states no misconduct, your claim will be approved
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
houng wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 2:12 pm
Is it new that you aren't even being put on hold? Seems silly
No. It means you're calling when everyone else is trying to call. There can't be an infinite queue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
iAdeel wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 3:31 pm
Hello, I have a quick question.

My wife's EI claim has 15 weeks remaining. However, she is going abroad for 4 weeks. She will be mentioning that in her next EI biweekly report. My question is, will she lose her 4 weeks of entitlement when she is out of the country or those weeks will be added to her remaining weeks of entitlement. Thanks
No. You don't get an extension.
Your claim ends when whichever happens first:
You reach the end of your benefit period
You use your entitlement
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Gotoff wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 2:55 pm
so i just need 630 hours to claim EI in ajax?
Yes, provided you have more than 490 hours in the year prior to your qualifying period.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
redflagdeal3 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 5:03 pm
The # 1-800-531-7555, it is so difficult to be put in the hold queue.
That's the number for the telephone reporting system. If you're trying to do a report, do it online. If you're trying to reach a human, you're calling the wrong number.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Masm200 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 4:20 pm
I have been working at in a company for 5 years in a basement as office with 4 persons. We really interact with each other since our job is different. I worked from 9am to 6pm and we barely speak to each other since we are very busy. I started to feel lonely and stressed.

As a graphic designer, it is very important for me to interact with people doing the same job/or clients since this helps to improve our knowledge & creativity in this field. Unfortunately, this has not been the case. There is no room for improvement and no incentives. There are no sick days and I do get 15 days of vacation but it is only during the period where the office is closed in July. The whole year you are not allowed to take days off, otherwise they cut in your salary.

Having two young kids, it is very hard not to take days off. I try to commit to both work and home but very difficult. Due to this, I started to get disputes with my wife everyday at home and I am so stressed at work and home, that I feel fatigue and tired all at the time and unable to concentrate. Since I have thyroid problem this doesn’t help when you are stressed. I started to have depression and having loss of interest in work, could not sleep, headaches most of the time.

Since the situation is getting worse day by day if I don’t take this step it will definitely end with a break down or separation in our relationship. I did not have any other choice.

Do you think I can apply for EI? Any advise
Use your vacation. Take a leave of absence. Quitting your job isn't the solution.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4669 posts
972 upvotes
Toronto
clseea wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:49 pm
Yes, provided you have more than 490 hours in the year prior to your qualifying period.
does tht include holiday hours, stat hours and something called SHFT1.00 hours?

from my paystub on 12/31/14
Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Feb 3, 2017
37 posts
5 upvotes
Canada
clseea wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:47 pm
No. You don't get an extension.
Your claim ends when whichever happens first:
You reach the end of your benefit period
You use your entitlement
Sorry, I forgot to add she has until December 2015 to claim her entitlement. Right now she has 15 months remaining. My question is can she call EI helpline and get them to suspend her EI claim and reactivate when she arrives back in Canada. Or she doesnt need to call EI helpline as long as she mentions in her report that she is abroad and not in Canada? Thanks
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
clseea wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 9:52 pm
That's the number for the telephone reporting system. If you're trying to do a report, do it online. If you're trying to reach a human, you're calling the wrong number.
Thank you.
I did need to call that very reporting system # 1-800-531-7555 because I had money to report, the # and instructions were stated after I completed my claim online.
I called early this morning, 8:00 AM ish, and got through OK.
Feb 26, 2015
3 posts
Red Deer, AB
clseea wrote:
Mar 1st, 2015 11:54 pm
Your options are to suck it up, quit outright, get medical advice to take time off or quit. But if you're that part time what's the point in quitting?
Can't suck it up any longer...
1. I have had my hours cut from 24+ down to 15 since January 1. For 15 hours a week is the amount of stress my co-worker is causing me is not worth my mental health.

2. I have just finished 1 week medical leave, I have 2 more weeks of medical leave ahead of me, should I apply for EI now or should I wait. Do I even qualify? How long is too long to wait? If so what, documents do I need.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8552 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
AlbertaFarmGirltoo wrote:
Mar 4th, 2015 4:27 pm
Can't suck it up any longer...
1. I have had my hours cut from 24+ down to 15 since January 1. For 15 hours a week is the amount of stress my co-worker is causing me is not worth my mental health.

2. I have just finished 1 week medical leave, I have 2 more weeks of medical leave ahead of me, should I apply for EI now or should I wait. Do I even qualify? How long is too long to wait? If so what, documents do I need.

Thanks.
Your best bet is to get medical documentation from your doctor and submit it after applying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)