Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 12:08 pm
Apr 8, 2015
174 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long did everyone else wait from when they submitted their EI to when they got their first payment??

Is it normally around 28 days later?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
weaser999 wrote: Thanks B166Er and Clseea for your efforts in explaining EI to us. I know it has helped all of us reading this forum and clarified a lot of things. Do you guys get paid to do this?
I'll accept donations
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
jamesdavid3 wrote: I have called the number over 20 times now throughout the day and I still cant get to talk to anyone, very frustrating.....
Mondays and Fridays are busiest. Keep trying, people obviously get through
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
testmann wrote: Thanks again and I'd like to ask another question related to your answer number 1.
If I have to record a history of my job applications(which I actually do to avoid applying to the same company again), to whom do I need to show and submit this history?
Also, will they(I mean workers in EI department) make calls to the companies that I applied for jobs to confirm Whether I actually applied for their work or not?
You only need to show proof if you're asked.
If they ask, they'll call
Nov 24, 2013
223 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I was laid off back in Oct of last year and has been searching for a job since with no success. If i plan to go back to school in Sept of this year, are there any implications on my eligibility to receive EI? I will still be actively searching for a job until school starts but I will have to leave the job once school starts. Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
jankay wrote: I was laid off back in Oct of last year and has been searching for a job since with no success. If i plan to go back to school in Sept of this year, are there any implications on my eligibility to receive EI? I will still be actively searching for a job until school starts but I will have to leave the job once school starts. Thanks in advance.
You won't be paid while in school
Apr 9, 2015
2 posts
Vancouver
Been going through the forum for answers but still unsure. I applied for ei cause I got laid off and start receiving payments next week. But then I enrolled into a course starting in May which I attend on sats only for 7 hours. I already put this info info my claim. My fear is that I'll get no ei if I'm taking this course. Please advice.

Thanks!
Apr 9, 2015
2 posts
Vancouver
I got laid off two weeks ago, and start receiving my benefits next week. But then I also have signed up for a course starting in May that I will attend on Saturdays for 7 hours for 12 weeks. Now, will this affect my claim?? I keep reading you can't attend school while on ei. If this affects my claim, then I might just drop the course. Thanks and please advise.
Sep 24, 2006
600 posts
61 upvotes
Guelph, On
I want to thank everyone - clseea and b166er1337 for the help here with all my EI questions. I did my last EI reporting today and reported full time job.
One thing I learned while on EI is keep a detailed record of which jobs you applied too and every day no matter
what I spent anywhere from 1 to 2 hours either looking for a job or fixing my resume etc.
thank you.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
3094 posts
7 upvotes
Hi just a quick question. If my weeks of work are eligible to claim for EI, let's say 23 weeks. Generally I would only receive EI for 23 weeks and after that, nothing? Is that correct?
Items For Sale:
BST Feedback: 17
Apr 10, 2015
3 posts
Burlington, ON
Hello. Im sure this has been asked many times. But.... I left for cuba for a couple days. When i got back I claimed it on my report and didnt lie about it. I was wondering if Ill still get the money from when i was in the country. I got a msg on the My EI msgs screen saying they have to look at my account. And will get back to me by may 3rd. this is not fast enough as i have bills to pay and need the cash.
Apr 10, 2015
2 posts
Flat Bay
When phoning in my regular 2 week EI report, when asked "are you ready willing and capable" to work those 2 wks, if i say "no" to 1 of those 2 wks, will only 1 wk come off my remaining wks therefore extending my claim by X number of wks.I heard it's ok to do this for a maximum of 15 reports therefore extending your claim by 15 wks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
LancyC721 wrote: Been going through the forum for answers but still unsure. I applied for ei cause I got laid off and start receiving payments next week. But then I enrolled into a course starting in May which I attend on sats only for 7 hours. I already put this info info my claim. My fear is that I'll get no ei if I'm taking this course. Please advice.

Thanks!
LancyC721 wrote: I got laid off two weeks ago, and start receiving my benefits next week. But then I also have signed up for a course starting in May that I will attend on Saturdays for 7 hours for 12 weeks. Now, will this affect my claim?? I keep reading you can't attend school while on ei. If this affects my claim, then I might just drop the course. Thanks and please advise.
No worries, you'll be fine
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8951 posts
1663 upvotes
Edmonton
calcuu wrote: Hi just a quick question. If my weeks of work are eligible to claim for EI, let's say 23 weeks. Generally I would only receive EI for 23 weeks and after that, nothing? Is that correct?
If your entitlement is 23 weeks and you collect those weeks, your claim is done (for that specific benefit type). You can combine benefit types on a claim though to get more (so regular and sick, sick and maternity etc etc)

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 8 guests)