• Oct 18th, 2019 11:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
u0dcameron wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 3:06 pm
Want to thank you again for all the advise you have given in regards to EI.

Back in March I claimed for compassionate care benefits as my daughter was hospitalized at birth. I got off compassionate care after receiving 3 weeks because I decided I would try and go back to work. I went back to work for 1 week and decided I needed to quit my job to look after my daughter and took parental leave. She was hospitalized from birth February 25th to the end of June 19th 2012 I now have 18 weeks left of parental benefits and now think I may need regular unemployment benefits to further my benefits because parental is only 35 weeks. My question is will I have trouble switching from parental to regular benefits and how many weeks is the maximum you can get for regular benefits? I understand that the 35 weeks will be deducted from the amount of weeks I could receive for regular benefits but I'm unsure of exactly how many weeks is the maximum for regular benefits. I can't access my service Canada at the moment to find how many insurable hours I had but I'm fairly certain I was at the max amount of hours so I believe I would receive the max amount of weeks.

Also will taking care of my daughter be considered just cause? What will I need to have to prove this if anything, they already have on file that I was on compassionate care for her which included the doctor signed papers saying she was at risk of death.

Lastly how soon should I call service Canada to see about getting switched from parental benefits to regular benefits I am currently in week 17 of 35 of my parental benefits.
Well, the most you can get when combining regular benefits + any other type of benefit (parental, sickness, maternal) is 50 weeks. So my advice is to exhaust your parental claim first then switch to regular benefits. For you, it will be 3 wks compassionate + 35 wks parental + 12 wks regular.

As for qualifying reglar benefits, you need to be available for work at the time of the switch. The reason for quitting your job to care an ill offspring is definitely just cause (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_6), but you also need to be available for full time work to be eligible for regular benefits. When you apply, don't forget to mention the medical documentation on file that your daughter was in dire situation. Best of luck to your daughter.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
1916 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 8:24 pm
Well, any information that's to your advantage should be submitted to Service Canada. In essence, "suspension" is treated as any other "dismissal" case. Yes you should apply for antedate, even though you will not be able to receive benefits (if approved) while you are out of Canada.
Thank you for the quick reply. Today I went to local Service Canada office and while I was there I applied for EI online and after I received the confirmation number I also filled in the antedate form and handed it to the front desk. I understand I wont be able to receive the benefits while I was away. You recommended that I submit documents supporting my claim to Service Canada. How about can I do that ? I have the copies of the letters and emails.
- Should I go to local office and hand them the copies ?
- Should I mail them the copies ?
- Do I have to wait for the response from Service Canada first with the code and then submit these documents ?

Thank you so much in advance for all your assistance. Greatly appreciated !
Jul 16, 2012
2 posts
CAMBRIDGE
b166er1337 thanks for all the help you've been providing on here!

I've got a question about process, since it's my first time applying. I put in for my claim on June 11th, and once the 28days hit, I called EI and they said they had flagged it as overdue and sent a notice to processing. I was told someone would get back to me in 5 business days, that was 7bd's ago.

Two days after, I called OCS and filed a complaint, stating my claim was overdue and that EI gave me no explanation for such. I was told someone was going to get back to me in 3bd's, which was 2bd's ago.

So now both EI and OCS have yet to contact me...should I step into my MP's office at this point, or give it a little longer? I hate calling EI, as the wait times destroy my local calling minutes on my cellphone and run my bill up (no home phone yet, my spouse and I just moved across the country for her job, hence my claim).

*Also - I received a letter dated July 4th stating that I needed to submit my ROE immediately or contact my employer. I can see my ROE on the Service Canada page, and it was submitted electronically by my employer on June 6th.....what gives?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
Mr_A wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 11:38 pm
Thank you for the quick reply. Today I went to local Service Canada office and while I was there I applied for EI online and after I received the confirmation number I also filled in the antedate form and handed it to the front desk. I understand I wont be able to receive the benefits while I was away. You recommended that I submit documents supporting my claim to Service Canada. How about can I do that ? I have the copies of the letters and emails.
- Should I go to local office and hand them the copies ?
- Should I mail them the copies ?
- Do I have to wait for the response from Service Canada first with the code and then submit these documents ?

Thank you so much in advance for all your assistance. Greatly appreciated !
The code is for claimant's report, as well as the verification when you call. Your application is already on file, simply submit copies of the document to the local office. It will be sent to imaging scan so the processing agent can see it as soon as he opens your file.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
1916 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 1:13 am
The code is for claimant's report, as well as the verification when you call. Your application is already on file, simply submit copies of the document to the local office. It will be sent to imaging scan so the processing agent can see it as soon as he opens your file.
Thanks b166er1337. I'll make copies of the supporting dox and drop them off to the local Service Canada office. Thanks a bunch !
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2009
1237 posts
386 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2012 8:40 pm
Well, the most you can get when combining regular benefits + any other type of benefit (parental, sickness, maternal) is 50 weeks. So my advice is to exhaust your parental claim first then switch to regular benefits. For you, it will be 3 wks compassionate + 35 wks parental + 12 wks regular.

As for qualifying reglar benefits, you need to be available for work at the time of the switch. The reason for quitting your job to care an ill offspring is definitely just cause (http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/d ... tml#a6_5_6), but you also need to be available for full time work to be eligible for regular benefits. When you apply, don't forget to mention the medical documentation on file that your daughter was in dire situation. Best of luck to your daughter.
Thanks for the reply, now I'm sure they will talk to me about did I take every reasonable recourse before deciding to quit, what can I say? Will they contact my previous employer to see if I took every reasonable recourse asked for time off etc...?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
waitingclaimant wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 12:09 am
b166er1337 thanks for all the help you've been providing on here!

I've got a question about process, since it's my first time applying. I put in for my claim on June 11th, and once the 28days hit, I called EI and they said they had flagged it as overdue and sent a notice to processing. I was told someone would get back to me in 5 business days, that was 7bd's ago.

Two days after, I called OCS and filed a complaint, stating my claim was overdue and that EI gave me no explanation for such. I was told someone was going to get back to me in 3bd's, which was 2bd's ago.

So now both EI and OCS have yet to contact me...should I step into my MP's office at this point, or give it a little longer? I hate calling EI, as the wait times destroy my local calling minutes on my cellphone and run my bill up (no home phone yet, my spouse and I just moved across the country for her job, hence my claim).

*Also - I received a letter dated July 4th stating that I needed to submit my ROE immediately or contact my employer. I can see my ROE on the Service Canada page, and it was submitted electronically by my employer on June 6th.....what gives?
Definitely contact your MP's office. Have you submitted all the ROEs for every employment in the last 12 months?
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
u0dcameron wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 5:58 pm
Thanks for the reply, now I'm sure they will talk to me about did I take every reasonable recourse before deciding to quit, what can I say? Will they contact my previous employer to see if I took every reasonable recourse asked for time off etc...?
Well, obviously in your situation, the only reasonable alternative is leave of absence. If it's a small company, then very likely that won't be approved.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2025 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
just did my first report online for the first two weeks. i worked for my current boss (who laid me off) 20hrs during those two weeks that i had to report for. my boss was suppose to bank those hours and pay us when we were back with steady work. i assumed he was going to bank the hours so in the report i stated that i did not work. hes actually paying me instead of banking those hours, so can i reflect those hours in my next report even though the work completed was not in the reporting period?

also how many hours can you work while on EI and still receiving maximum payouts?...is there a threshold?

[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
o0vL wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 9:00 pm
just did my first report online for the first two weeks. i worked for my current boss (who laid me off) 20hrs during those two weeks that i had to report for. my boss was suppose to bank those hours and pay us when we were back with steady work. i assumed he was going to bank the hours so in the report i stated that i did not work. hes actually paying me instead of banking those hours, so can i reflect those hours in my next report even though the work completed was not in the reporting period?

also how many hours can you work while on EI and still receiving maximum payouts?...is there a threshold?
Call Service Canada to amend your report. It's not the hours, but the earnings that matter. You are allowed to make 40% of your benefit rate. Any amount you make over the allowable will be deducted dollar by dollar. So for max pay out (assuming your rate is $480/week, anything you make under $192 will not affect your claim)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
After you are laid off, and if you have enough hours, sure.
Jul 16, 2012
2 posts
CAMBRIDGE
b166er1337 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2012 6:33 pm
Definitely contact your MP's office. Have you submitted all the ROEs for every employment in the last 12 months?
Yes, I worked for the same company (territorial government) for the past 5 years. They sent in one ROE that laid it all out. I got through to an EI rep today, and they said my escalation never got process until Friday, so they have until end of day this Friday to respond. He also said the ROE letter is a standard reminder that everyone gets, which seemed pretty odd.
Jul 17, 2012
2 posts
ETOBICOKE
Hello!

I'm sorry if I'm asking a repeat question.

I am planning to take sickness benefits prior to a mat leave. I have a few questions.

1. Does applying on the last day of work waive the 2 week waiting period?
2. If I quit on July 31st, and I get my regular pay on Aug 1st and Aug 15th for the time worked up to July 31st, will both of these affect my EI?

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to have the 2 week period waived and get 800 or so bucks of EI for the 2 weeks, while the 2 paychecks may affect my EI....or if I should wait until I get paid at least one of the regular pays and apply on Aug 2nd?

I hope you understand my question...the math is killing me!

Thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9931 posts
3886 upvotes
Calgary
jazzyjazzy wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 6:58 am
Hello!

I'm sorry if I'm asking a repeat question.

I am planning to take sickness benefits prior to a mat leave. I have a few questions.

1. Does applying on the last day of work waive the 2 week waiting period?
2. If I quit on July 31st, and I get my regular pay on Aug 1st and Aug 15th for the time worked up to July 31st, will both of these affect my EI?

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to have the 2 week period waived and get 800 or so bucks of EI for the 2 weeks, while the 2 paychecks may affect my EI....or if I should wait until I get paid at least one of the regular pays and apply on Aug 2nd?

I hope you understand my question...the math is killing me!

Thanks!
You are a bit confused. Everyone has to serve 2 week waiting period, regardless when you apply. The regular pay on Aug 1 and 15 will not impact your benefits. When you get paid is not as important as when you earned the pay.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)