EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2020 7:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
flyeaglesfly wrote: so if u leave on friday and return on monday then u only report u were out of country for only monday right.
Why would you report it that way?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
anastasia1009 wrote: Just applied for EI today - moved from Regina to Guelph yesterday to be with husband who got transferred. I have nine weeks left on this claim, plus 750 hours on the new claim. To reactivate this claim do they need more new ROE or will they call my old boss in Regina. I know I have to pressure work to get my ROE - one girl has been waiting 3 months for maternity ROE. If they need my ROE then I have to start pressuring them now,
thanks
Chances are it will be needed to confirm your reason for separation, even though you're simply reactivating your previous claim.
Aug 1, 2015
9 posts
Calgary, AB
I need information on EI benefits. I lost job in Alberta and planning to move to toronto to look for jobs and already I have applied for EI... Does my EI benefit is lost when i move to another province or still i am eligible for EI benefits.. If you have any info or links update here so that it will help me in finding job.. Thanks in Advance
Aug 1, 2015
1 posts
Outremont, QC
Hello,
I would like to leave the country while receiving EI.
When I out of country, I going to declare I am NOT available for work as well.
I understand I will not receive EI for the time that I was gone.

Right now, I am on Ei and 20 weeks left.

I wanted to make sure that when I come back to Canada after 2 months, I will still have 20 weeks left?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
hcejca wrote: I need information on EI benefits. I lost job in Alberta and planning to move to toronto to look for jobs and already I have applied for EI... Does my EI benefit is lost when i move to another province or still i am eligible for EI benefits.. If you have any info or links update here so that it will help me in finding job.. Thanks in Advance
You won't lose benefits but unemployment is still lower in Calgary
Jan 5, 2014
5 posts
Richmond Hill
Hi,
I hope some one can help me here.i have been employed by a company for more than 1 year.now the manager called me in to his room and said despite your great personality ,we now should make a change to get things work.we no longer need your qualification .he asked me to write an email to him stating that "according to our discussion i will leave the job on Aug 21".They did not give me any alternatives .
My question is :would i be eligible to receive EI if i write this letter to him?would 'nt this be considered as i voluntarily left my job?
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
64 upvotes
Canada
What exactly happens when you are on EI ? I mean about your job finding efforts etc.

Do they force you to take any job that's available like McDonalds, general labour job, some minimum wage job even if you are a professional ? Do they (EI) keep on harassing you, about why you haven't got a job so far or you are not trying hard enough ?

Can you tell them you are not going to do any BS job that comes your way, and in general will only do a job that fits your qualification, education or experience ? Or you have no choice and they can end your EI prematurely for not doing any job they ask you to do ?
Banned
Jul 2, 2015
395 posts
64 upvotes
Canada
clseea wrote: 1) You need to be ready, willing and able to work even in your waiting period. If you're taking a vacation,you're not ready, willing and able. The days you're gone have a dollar value assigned to them so if you only serve a portion of your waiting period, that equivalent dollar value needs to be deducted from when you start to receive benefits.
2) Not if you expect to get EI. Taxpayers aren't paying for you to go vacation.
3) If it's something like that you'll still need to declare but you'll be ok
You have paid into the EI system, haven't you ? EI is not doing you any favours by paying you in time of your need.
Employees aren't paying and having EI deducted from each and every pay check for fun, only so that EI can screw them or act like they are doing them a huge favour, when you get laid off, taxpayers have nothing to do with it. EI and CPP doesn't come from your taxes, but from your contributions you make each & every yr.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
booradleysmart wrote: What exactly happens when you are on EI ? I mean about your job finding efforts etc.

Do they force you to take any job that's available like McDonalds, general labour job, some minimum wage job even if you are a professional ? Do they (EI) keep on harassing you, about why you haven't got a job so far or you are not trying hard enough ?

Can you tell them you are not going to do any BS job that comes your way, and in general will only do a job that fits your qualification, education or experience ? Or you have no choice and they can end your EI prematurely for not doing any job they ask you to do ?
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/e ... mant.shtml
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
booradleysmart wrote: You have paid into the EI system, haven't you ? EI is not doing you any favours by paying you in time of your need.
Employees aren't paying and having EI deducted from each and every pay check for fun, only so that EI can screw them or act like they are doing them a huge favour, when you get laid off, taxpayers have nothing to do with it. EI and CPP doesn't come from your taxes, but from your contributions you make each & every yr.
Who said anything about favours? I was replying to a question about collecting EI while on vacation. You're not being screwed around by not getting EI while on vacation. It would be helpful if you replied to things within the context of the conversation instead of jumping in with your own interpretations of things.

I'm well aware EI premiums don't come from your taxes, but they essentially are a tax for people working within insurable employment.

Need doesn't have anything to do with qualifying for benefits. If you qualify based on hours and your reason for separation, you're good to go. If not, your need for money means nothing.

Something else you should be aware of is one single benefit period that pays you out max benefits nets you more than the amount of premiums you'd contribute over 20 years. So settle down and think things through before you spaz out next time.
Nov 30, 2010
69 posts
2 upvotes
hi there, I did a claim of EI in december. I found a job in june..full time job. I was offered a new permanent job for a government agency but they can only hire me in September. I need to tell my current manager that I got offered the other job because HR are going to talk to each other and I don't want to look like I was lying. If she decides to terminate my current contract before september, can I reactivate my EI (I have about 15 weeks left)?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
iphonebleh wrote: hi there, I did a claim of EI in december. I found a job in june..full time job. I was offered a new permanent job for a government agency but they can only hire me in September. I need to tell my current manager that I got offered the other job because HR are going to talk to each other and I don't want to look like I was lying. If she decides to terminate my current contract before september, can I reactivate my EI (I have about 15 weeks left)?
I don't see why the other company would contact your current.
Regardless, you'd be able to reactivate your claim
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
zefirka wrote: Hello,
I would like to leave the country while receiving EI.
When I out of country, I going to declare I am NOT available for work as well.
I understand I will not receive EI for the time that I was gone.

Right now, I am on Ei and 20 weeks left.

I wanted to make sure that when I come back to Canada after 2 months, I will still have 20 weeks left?
You don't lose weeks of entitlement so yes you'll still have 20 weeks. Provided you still have 20 weeks left in your benefit period you'll be able to collect all 20 weeks
Sep 26, 2004
104 posts
78 upvotes
Hello
I have just started receiving EI
When I applied I told the office that I was given a lump sum payment that equates to 7 weeks of pay.
As I had applied in June I had expected to wait a toatl of 9 weeks before any payments would start, the 2 week waiting period and the 7 weeks worth of lump sum payment.
The payments started after the 2 week waiting period instead.
When I had received my ROE, there was no mention of the 7 week lump sum, but I should them my pay stub showing the payment.
My question is how can I get this moved down 7 weeks from where it is now?
I tried calling the EI office and it says they are too busy with calls.
Would I be better off just filling out the 2 week form saying that I was not available for work until the 7 weeks have been taken into account?
And that way the payments would just shift down 7 weeks as long as I dont pass my end of claim date.
I am concerned that they would cancel the payments or the claim itself.
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9038 posts
1683 upvotes
Edmonton
hgp wrote: Hello
I have just started receiving EI
When I applied I told the office that I was given a lump sum payment that equates to 7 weeks of pay.
As I had applied in June I had expected to wait a toatl of 9 weeks before any payments would start, the 2 week waiting period and the 7 weeks worth of lump sum payment.
The payments started after the 2 week waiting period instead.
When I had received my ROE, there was no mention of the 7 week lump sum, but I should them my pay stub showing the payment.
My question is how can I get this moved down 7 weeks from where it is now?
I tried calling the EI office and it says they are too busy with calls.
Would I be better off just filling out the 2 week form saying that I was not available for work until the 7 weeks have been taken into account?
And that way the payments would just shift down 7 weeks as long as I dont pass my end of claim date.
I am concerned that they would cancel the payments or the claim itself.
thanks
Check with your employer as to why the ROE is incorrect. Don't complete your report that way, it'll just screw things up more.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

hempopotamus