Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 7:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8774 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
testmann wrote: Hello,

I'm posting the same question that posted here. I appreciate every single answer from there but I don't think I've got it from someone who has experienced the same thing recently. I also tried to call to the service center but all I can think of is, wow, why did they even bother to display 1-800 phone number on the website. It's impossible to get a hold of them. Wonder why they don't use email communication method.

Anyway, so my situation is this, my benefits started last April and the ending time is next April '16. I have rented an apartment in Florida for one month for this January to visit my friends and family when I was employed. Renting an apartment unit prior to 1 year may sound crazy but ask your parents, then you'll get the idea.
I tried to cancel the rent recently but I couldn't because I will be ended up getting only one third of the money I paid. It's also because the Canadian currency being gone down lower. I've started thinking about going to Florida then(even though it's not fun to see friends and family when I'm unemployed. Haha) if my benefits postpone to 2016 May.
But then it seems too good to be true... since it's a whole month in my case. Will EI postpone the ending time of my benefits one month too from April 2016 to May 2016? Any advice? Thanks.
testmann wrote: Haha I feel the same way.
testmann wrote: If you gonna give an answer like this, it's worse than not having any answer at all. I don't think you bother to check the link I provided either. Why bother, right?
I'm confused. Is the part I bolded not your question?
Newbie
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
2- Also, apperently there are 3-4 holidays that are considered to be 28 hr work weeks I hear; so anyone who files their report every two weeks and has an open claim and is working part time (new emploee) and who is reporting their hours worked but who did not work that particular holiday will not only not get payed from their work (new employee on probation) but will not get any money for that holiday (day not worked) from EI. What is the reasoning behind that? Thank you
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10090 posts
4143 upvotes
Calgary
testmann wrote: If you gonna give an answer like this, it's worse than not having any answer at all. I don't think you bother to check the link I provided either. Why bother, right?
Clseea clearly answered your question. Not sure what more you want. He is under no obligation to spend hundreds of hours in the last 2 years responding to all sort of EI questions posted by hundreds of RFDers.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10090 posts
4143 upvotes
Calgary
trextr wrote: 2- Also, apperently there are 3-4 holidays that are considered to be 28 hr work weeks I hear; so anyone who files their report every two weeks and has an open claim and is working part time (new emploee) and who is reporting their hours worked but who did not work that particular holiday will not only not get payed from their work (new employee on probation) but will not get any money for that holiday (day not worked) from EI. What is the reasoning behind that? Thank you
A stat holiday that falls under a work week is treated just like any other day. I don't get what you meant by not being paid by EI.
Newbie
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
No, this is where you are wrong. There are 3 stats that EI considers those work weeks to be 28hr weeks. Happenned to me Huly 1st and/or Aug 3rd. Just a weird bs thing EI does
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10090 posts
4143 upvotes
Calgary
trextr wrote: No, this is where you are wrong. There are 3 stats that EI considers those work weeks to be 28hr weeks. Happenned to me Huly 1st and/or Aug 3rd. Just a weird bs thing EI does
So you are saying you work 4 days a week, and EI is not paying for the fifth day because it is a Stat Holiday?

Perhaps you should discuss it with your employer why you weren't paid on the Stat holiday.
Newbie
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
I didn't get paid from work for the stat holiday because I was still on probation. I reported my hours (32hrs) to EI for the week I but did not get any money from EI for the one day not worked. Usually EI pays out a small amount.
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10090 posts
4143 upvotes
Calgary
trextr wrote: I didn't get paid from work for the stat holiday because I was still on probation. I reported my hours (32hrs) to EI for the week I but did not get any money from EI for the one day not worked. Usually EI pays out a small amount.
You are entitled to stat holiday pay, even if you are on probation. This is not an EI issue, but labour issue.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/ ... lidays.php
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8774 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
trextr wrote: I didn't get paid from work for the stat holiday because I was still on probation. I reported my hours (32hrs) to EI for the week I but did not get any money from EI for the one day not worked. Usually EI pays out a small amount.
If you worked 32 hours in one of those weeks that are considered exceptions, you've worked a full work week.
Newbie
Oct 21, 2015
3 posts
Barrie, ON
Six months ago , my common law partner and I purchased a home approximately 55 minutes from where I work and where I previously lived. I have been commuting daily to my job but am finding it just too stressful especially with winter coming. I have applied for a few jobs closer to where we live but have not yet been successful. If I were to quit my job, would I be entitled to E.I. until I found something closer to home or would quitting because of the move not be considered just cause? Thanks so much for the help you provided to all of us. Have a great day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8774 posts
1600 upvotes
Edmonton
brenmill wrote: Six months ago , my common law partner and I purchased a home approximately 55 minutes from where I work and where I previously lived. I have been commuting daily to my job but am finding it just too stressful especially with winter coming. I have applied for a few jobs closer to where we live but have not yet been successful. If I were to quit my job, would I be entitled to E.I. until I found something closer to home or would quitting because of the move not be considered just cause? Thanks so much for the help you provided to all of us. Have a great day.
I wouldn't deem it just cause. You moved knowing the commute time/distance and that amount of time isn't all that uncommon
[OP]
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 21, 2004
10090 posts
4143 upvotes
Calgary
brenmill wrote: Six months ago , my common law partner and I purchased a home approximately 55 minutes from where I work and where I previously lived. I have been commuting daily to my job but am finding it just too stressful especially with winter coming. I have applied for a few jobs closer to where we live but have not yet been successful. If I were to quit my job, would I be entitled to E.I. until I found something closer to home or would quitting because of the move not be considered just cause? Thanks so much for the help you provided to all of us. Have a great day.
Commuting from Barrie to Toronto?

Yeah that's quite stressful. I was there last month oh boy the traffic was horrendous (compared to what we have in Alberta). But like Clseea said, it was a personal choice to move away from work so that is definitely not just cause under EI.

On the other hand, if your work relocates to 1 hour away and you quit due to the difficult commute, then you may have just cause.
Newbie
Oct 21, 2015
3 posts
Barrie, ON
clseea wrote: I wouldn't deem it just cause. You moved knowing the commute time/distance and that amount of time isn't all that uncommon
Thanks so much for your reply. :)
Newbie
Oct 21, 2015
3 posts
Barrie, ON
No not Barrie to Toronto but I agree that's a bummer of a drive ..lol I agree that it was my choice to purchase a home up north and commute. Thanks for your help. I will keep looking for something closer to home. :)
Newbie
Oct 21, 2015
5 posts
Kapasiwin, AB
Hi everyone! I stubbled upon this forum in dire search of help after my EI benefits are now being considered overpayment as they have classified me as unavailable for work due to no back up childcare in place. I am a schoolbus driver and it's my first time to file for EI this year and was categorized as occasional claimant. I have already appealed to the commission but they still ruled out the first. I am now going to appeal to the tribunal but i just want to seek for opinions on how to file it successfully. I said to the commission that I have informed EI early that I will not be in canada for 2 weeks and clearly know that I will not be entitled for those 2 weeks but coming back up to the first day of school, I will only be on EI for 7 weeks. I told them that during the regular days, we bring our kids to work and they want me to have childcare during the 7 weeks of summer which will cost me more than what will be earned. I gave them proof of job searches that I have been subscribed to jobbank as early as July 12 and even though abroad I can still access the job alerts but unfortunately there are no school bussing needed through the summer. I told them that according to the rules of being an occassional claiman that I an restrict myself on looking for the same job and after the 7th week will have to lower the wage at least 70% of the normal wage. As to my understanding the same job is the same as what I have been temporarily laid off and awaiting recall on Sept 8 giving me only 7 weeks to work for the potential employer then leave after. This will incur training cost on the part of the employer that i will just temporarily work for. I am just seeking any advice towards my case if it can progress in the tribunal.

they already have granted me the ei benefits from july 28-sept 7 and then they called me about sept 15 to check on my file. I also found out that the ROE was filled out wrongly as they didn't write down the date of return but we already know that the date of return was sept 8 and hr have corrected it already and resubmitted it online. They are asking me to pay back 1900+ in total for the 7 weeks. i have read some ei decisions favoring workers but was dated before 2013. I dont know if it is still applicable to the tribunal or was it only for the board of referees then.

thanks and hoping some of you can shed light on this confusing issue.

Top