Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 5:22 pm
Jan 19, 2014
13 posts
As an update to my situation, I just received a rejection from SC regarding my EI application. I am currently on Second Career which ends on Dec 18 this year. My previous claim ran out on Oct 29, and I applied for a new claim in November, for which I received the rejection letter today. The reason they gave was because I have a part time job while I am undergoing SC training. Should I appeal, or is it a waste of time? There is no information on the Service Canada website regarding Second Career at all. Any suggestions here is appreciated. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2015 12:30 pm
Thank you do i need to cancel the report I just filled out yesterday and file another or can I change it to sickness , will I need to get a different roe from my employer aswell?
You should probably contact the Service Canada hotline and provide them with accurate information regarding your situation. If you applied for regular benefits you should ask to have it converted to sickness. It will still take 4 weeks to process your claim. You will need a doctors note. Your employer doesn't change your ROE, it will still say lay off as that was the reason your employment ended.
Oct 8, 2015
15 posts
1 upvote
Alright thanks for your help , my employer still hasn't filled out my roe so I should just tell him to leave it as layoff not illness though when he fills it out?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
liquidsnake69 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2015 10:47 pm
Alright thanks for your help , my employer still hasn't filled out my roe so I should just tell him to leave it as layoff not illness though when he fills it out?
I mean...if he hasn't completed it...it may be more beneficial for you to have it say illness/injury. Keep in mind that sickness benefits only last for 15 weeks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
architeutus wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2015 5:51 pm
As an update to my situation, I just received a rejection from SC regarding my EI application. I am currently on Second Career which ends on Dec 18 this year. My previous claim ran out on Oct 29, and I applied for a new claim in November, for which I received the rejection letter today. The reason they gave was because I have a part time job while I am undergoing SC training. Should I appeal, or is it a waste of time? There is no information on the Service Canada website regarding Second Career at all. Any suggestions here is appreciated. Thanks.
To qualify for a new claim you would still need enough hours. Have you worked since you started the claim that ended in October?
Nov 13, 2011
27 posts
7 upvotes
BURNABY
I've been working for 3 years. My common-law partner wants to move back to our hometown, after we moved here 3 years ago for this job.
Reason #17 for just-cause leaving in EI talks about an obligation to accompany a spouse, and I was wondering if I could use that to get EI?

I've been trying to find work in my hometown for a while now, but interviews are tough to get. Employers don't want to make accommodations to hire someone from out-of-town (interviews are tough to schedule, it takes me $200 and 8 hours roundtrip to go there, I need time to move there if I'm hired, etc).

What kind of proof do I need to provide EI with to show that I tried to find reasonable alternatives?
What type of process do I go through?
What are the odds that EI will deny the claim?

Thanks
Jan 19, 2014
13 posts
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 7:20 am
To qualify for a new claim you would still need enough hours. Have you worked since you started the claim that ended in October?
Yes, 762 hours
Dec 3, 2015
1 posts
Ferland-Et-Boilleau,…
I had 2 jobs and I found a better job so I decided to quit my other jobs...now after only 2 weeks they fired me because of restructuring...can I apply for ei even though I did not work the minimum amount of hours in my new job?
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
Ginogino wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:21 am
I had 2 jobs and I found a better job so I decided to quit my other jobs...now after only 2 weeks they fired me because of restructuring...can I apply for ei even though I did not work the minimum amount of hours in my new job?
Thanks!
Yes. Just making sure when you apply you indicate that you quit your job to accept the new one which you believed to be a better position.
Dec 3, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi! Situation: I've been with a company for 10 full years, on a salary (recently on a short personal LOA). I am developing a business and I am becoming more frequently absent because of that. When they ask me for documentation to explain the absence, I can't provide any, of course, and I can't tell them the truth (I guess). On the day of absence I always call in on time and also couple of times I announced the absence in advance. Question: If I get separated from the employment because of bad attendance, can I still hope for a) some payout money, like a severance or however it is called, from the company, and b) can I get EI?
Thank you.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9917 posts
3875 upvotes
Calgary
Tulips2 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 2:50 pm
Hi! Situation: I've been with a company for 10 full years, on a salary (recently on a short personal LOA). I am developing a business and I am becoming more frequently absent because of that. When they ask me for documentation to explain the absence, I can't provide any, of course, and I can't tell them the truth (I guess). On the day of absence I always call in on time and also couple of times I announced the absence in advance. Question: If I get separated from the employment because of bad attendance, can I still hope for a) some payout money, like a severance or however it is called, from the company, and b) can I get EI?
Thank you.
Absence as in approved leave such as vacation time? Or do you call in sick the day of the absence? How many days are we talking about?

If you get fired for poor attendance, no you don't get severance and no you don't get EI.
Dec 3, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
I call in and tell them that I can't come to work (it is one day at the time, once or twice a month), but I don't say that I am sick because I would be asked for a doctor's note. I say that it's for a matter that I can't disclose. On another occasion I did suggest how to make up the hours but the idea was rejected. I got a write up for the absence without providing a valid reason.
Dec 3, 2015
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the info. I call in and tell them that I can't come to work (it is one day at the time, once or twice a month), but I don't say that I am sick because I would be asked for a doctor's note. I say that it's for a matter that I can't disclose. On another occasion I did suggest how to make up the hours but the idea was rejected. I got a write up for the absence without providing a valid reason.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2098 posts
1177 upvotes
Tulips2 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 5:56 pm
Thanks for the info. I call in and tell them that I can't come to work (it is one day at the time, once or twice a month), but I don't say that I am sick because I would be asked for a doctor's note. I say that it's for a matter that I can't disclose. On another occasion I did suggest how to make up the hours but the idea was rejected. I got a write up for the absence without providing a valid reason.
Well if you get let go for absence reasons, that is just cause. You have been written up and are aware that you should be attending work. You wouldn't qualify for benefits.
Apr 3, 2013
120 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
My apologies if this has been answered before.

I started a new job two weeks ago and the pay period ended today but won't get paid until next Friday December 11.
Three weeks without pay is excessive and EI most likely won't pay because I worked the last 2 weeks, is that right?

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

tammy4444