Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 4:07 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2203 posts
1272 upvotes
rfddc wrote: Jan 2015 started EI sickness (@ max amount) and at 15 weeks switched to regular benefits.
May 19, 2015 new job, full time.
EI regular ended.
Will work to Jan 8th (mat leave)
Will apply for EI sickness at that point until expected delivery of Jan 23rd, switching to EI maternity at that point.

Can/should I start a new claim January 8, 2016 or reactivate my old claim which ended May 18, 2015?
Call in and make sure they complete and finalize your old claim if it's still active and start another one. If you apply online without doing so and your old claim is still within the 52 weeks the computer will try and reopen that one which will cause a mess.
Dec 29, 2015
2 posts
Newmarket, ON
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can delete an application for EI after its been sent in. I helped my dad do his EI and since it was my first time I made alot of mistakes. So I'm hoping I can delete the application I sent in and then reapply. If anyone can help me or knows of a better solution I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2203 posts
1272 upvotes
RedNubi wrote: Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can delete an application for EI after its been sent in. I helped my dad do his EI and since it was my first time I made alot of mistakes. So I'm hoping I can delete the application I sent in and then reapply. If anyone can help me or knows of a better solution I'd be grateful. Thanks.
You cannot delete an application. What 'mistakes' did you make? You shouldn't be submitting an application if you do not know the correct information. You're going to have to call in to the call centre and provide the correct information ASAP.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
OldMarriedGuy wrote: You cannot delete an application. What 'mistakes' did you make? You shouldn't be submitting an application if you do not know the correct information. You're going to have to call in to the call centre and provide the correct information ASAP.
Actually I believe an application can be cancelled if it has not been processed yet. I could be wrong though, it has been a while.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9086 posts
1698 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes you can cancel a claim and have the application essentially deleted.

Might be simpler to call in to correct the issues since you can't just hit delete and start over right away. Or better yet, your dad should call in since it's his claim. If it's a language issue, he'll need to be on the phone (or within earshot) anyways.
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
[QUOTE=Your waiting period needs to be unpaid and can't have earnings in it. If it does, whatever you earn needs to be deducted from your initial payments to cancel out the earnings you had in the waiting period. Money earned in the waiting period is deducted dollar for dollar. The 50% rule only applies after the waiting period is served and any waiting period earnings are cancelled out.

I earned $3000 gross during my 2 week waiting period. Does that mean e.I will deduct dollar for dollar up to my maximum allowed weekly E.I entitlement payments ($514 gross) OR will they just keep deducting and extra 3.8 weeks from my future allowable E.I benefits up until it equals $3000?

Also, how much money and when could I expect to receive money from E.I (If I do not work anymore after the 2 week waiting period)? This is very confusing for me. Thank you for all your help.
Aug 24, 2014
26 posts
1 upvote
NB
Another quick question. My husband's claim just ended (we didn't realize it was that close...ugh). We live very rural so he does farm work. He has 1 ROE because the type of farming that employer does the season has ended. He has enough hours for our economic region with just this one. Does he need to get an ROE for his other employer, whom he will get some part time hours with over the winter and then go to work full time in the spring? When the hours will be is unknown. He has 2 or 3 better weeks with that employer, but would rather not ask if it's not necessary. Thank you.
Jan 4, 2016
1 posts
Heron Bay, ON
I got laid off just before Christmas and have applied for benefits. My old claim has been reactivated according to my service canada account. It's been 7 months since my last report so do I need to wait for confirmation from ei by mail or can I use my original access code and start my internet reporting now? There is no information about this in my message center so not sure how to proceed.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
AngelaU669 wrote: Another quick question. My husband's claim just ended (we didn't realize it was that close...ugh). We live very rural so he does farm work. He has 1 ROE because the type of farming that employer does the season has ended. He has enough hours for our economic region with just this one. Does he need to get an ROE for his other employer, whom he will get some part time hours with over the winter and then go to work full time in the spring? When the hours will be is unknown. He has 2 or 3 better weeks with that employer, but would rather not ask if it's not necessary. Thank you.
Technically he has to provide all the ROEs in the last 52 weeks to start a new claim. To be safe, he should request the ROE. The reason code should be A or K - Other (with comments that this is employee request).
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
lostdreamer wrote: I got laid off just before Christmas and have applied for benefits. My old claim has been reactivated according to my service canada account. It's been 7 months since my last report so do I need to wait for confirmation from ei by mail or can I use my original access code and start my internet reporting now? There is no information about this in my message center so not sure how to proceed.
Use the original access code and file the reports now.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
trextr wrote: I earned $3000 gross during my 2 week waiting period. Does that mean e.I will deduct dollar for dollar up to my maximum allowed weekly E.I entitlement payments ($514 gross) OR will they just keep deducting and extra 3.8 weeks from my future allowable E.I benefits up until it equals $3000?

Also, how much money and when could I expect to receive money from E.I (If I do not work anymore after the 2 week waiting period)? This is very confusing for me. Thank you for all your help.
If you declared it, you should get a letter explaining how the money will be allocated. Most likely you won't get any EI payments for another 6 weeks.
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
I called and managed to finally get through after 4 hours. I told them that I should not have applied so early since I was working those first three weeks and making lots of money I wasn't really thinking.

I asked if they could cancel my application for my EI claim and they asked why? I told him the reason being is that I worked during that time and didn't really need to apply for EI and I also wanted my claim to be extended up until January of next year instead of December of this year.

If I had half a brain I would've waited after working three weeks to open my claim. They did however change it to show it starting on the week of January 3 which is good but I still think I will get screwed over for the first three weeks that I worked (Dec 14th- Jan 2th).

I don't think he really understood what I was asking I didn't want to emphasize too much on the money thing because they would probably think it is sort of like fraud but it's not.

Anyway they said to call them if my claim does not show finalized by January 14. I will check on my service Canada account but by the sounds of it I might still get screwed for the first two weeks of money I made but they said that that has been changed so that it starts on January 3. I will have to wait and see what happens.
Thank you very much for clairifications.
Dec 3, 2013
32 posts
6 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: If you declared it, you should get a letter explaining how the money will be allocated. Most likely you won't get any EI payments for another 6 weeks.
I called and managed to finally get through after 4 hours. I told them that I should not have applied so early since I was working those first three weeks and making lots of money I wasn't really thinking.

I asked if they could cancel my application for my EI claim and they asked why? I told him the reason being is that I worked during that time and didn't really need to apply for EI and I also wanted my claim to be extended up until January of next year instead of December of this year.

If I had half a brain I would've waited after working three weeks to open my claim. They did however change it to show it starting on the week of January 3 which is good but I still think I will get screwed over for the first three weeks that I worked (Dec 14th- Jan 2th).

I don't think he really understood what I was asking I didn't want to emphasize too much on the money thing because they would probably think it is sort of like fraud but it's not.

Anyway they said to call them if my claim does not show finalized by January 14. I will check on my service Canada account but by the sounds of it I might still get screwed for the first two weeks of money I made but they said that that has been changed so that it starts on January 3. I will have to wait and see what happens.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
trextr wrote: I called and managed to finally get through after 4 hours. I told them that I should not have applied so early since I was working those first three weeks and making lots of money I wasn't really thinking.

Call the call centre and ask your claim to postdate to Jan 3 2015. From what you posted it may have been done already.
Oct 6, 2010
168 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough
My brother is high functioning autistic and for the past couple of years, have been unable to hold onto a job. He would work for a few months at most and then be let go. Yesterday he was let go from his full time job after having started late October. This was unexpected as he thought he would at least get to work until the end of January. He has resumed job hunting.

My brother does get disability pension which he can reapply for when his income is low. However I am wondering if he also qualifies for employment insurance. He is willing to work, he is actively trying to find employment, but he cannot seem to accumulate enough hours at one job. He thinks he doesn't, but I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions about this so that he's not missing out.

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 7 guests)

torraps2000, lucysong010