• Sep 24th, 2018 6:51 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9378 posts
3033 upvotes
Calgary
joe382 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2016 11:40 am
Thank you. I have misread the number of weeks. It's actually 36 weeks. Is there a way to extend this to 16 more weeks? My EI started in June 2015 and it says on my account the End Date of Claim is June 18, 2016. I already signed up for an employment seminar in April and could really use the benefits until the said End Date.
Adopting a kid could get you 15 weeks of parental, breaking an arm or a leg can get you 15 week of sickness. Otherwise no. Sorry.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9378 posts
3033 upvotes
Calgary
calliko wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2016 11:39 am
My boyfriend went on EI last November when he was laid off work. He's filed his papers weekly. He went to the US for a job interview (haven't heard anything yet) and now his payment is delayed. They told him he had to wait until Mar 28th until they would tell him yes or no. I'm the mean time he had no money. Is there anything he can do?
Contact your MP's office. If he can't pay the bills, then make it known it is a dire needs situation.

If he went to US for a interview and was away from Canada for less than a week, it won't impact his benefits.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/reports/ei/dig ... e#a10_12_8

Absence from Canada automatically disentitles a claimant from benefits unless the absence and length of that absence is otherwise prescribed by Regulation as follows:
- for up to seven days, to attend a bona fide job interview;
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9378 posts
3033 upvotes
Calgary
joe382 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2016 11:40 am
Thank you. I have misread the number of weeks. It's actually 36 weeks. Is there a way to extend this to 16 more weeks? My EI started in June 2015 and it says on my account the End Date of Claim is June 18, 2016. I already signed up for an employment seminar in April and could really use the benefits until the said End Date.
Actually Joe, you are in luck. Today's budget gives 5 extra weeks of EI benefits retroactive to Jan 2015 but you probably won't receive it until July. Better follow up with Service Canada to get the details.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//report- ... cmpid=rss1
Mar 22, 2016
11 posts
Hello All,
I just found this forum and am excited at the prospect of finally getting some answers. Can't get through to anyone on the phone of course. Going to try to visit a Service Canada location but expect to get only general answers there. Here's our situation:

Expecting a baby in November. I'm fully employed right up to mat leave so that's not an issue but I will be changing jobs (does that matter? Should there be no time off between job changes?). Here's where things get interesting. We will be moving to another city in about 5months. I'll be working but my husband has to quit his job for us to move. His idea was to apply for EI while looking for a new job but then we got pregnant. The best financially will be for me to work right after I take the 17wks mat leave and we're thinking of flipping the rest of the leave to Paternal for him afterwards. So.....

1) When we apply for him to get the paternal leave, he should have the 6-700hrs required if you look at the entire previous 52wks however he could still not be working for the months leading up to the paternal leave. Does this matter? Or does the fact he has the 700hrs within 52wks mean he qualifies. Also, will the amount of payout be less since he will only have worked about 5 months (750hrs) within the 52wks? Or will he be able to get the max amount? He makes about $65K/yr right now so I think he would qualify for the max unless it's linked to the 750hrs v.s. the number of hours he would normally work in a full year.

2) If he applies for regular EI benefits when we first move, will he even qualify if the reason is because he had to quit his job to follow me to another city?

3) If he can get regular EI benefits as asked above, and then later on we want to get him on paternal benefits, does this eat into the number of weeks for paternal (35 wks) or the amount he will receive? Or are the two types of benefits completely separate and he can collect both (just not at the same time)?

Thank you all for helping with this. I think the government doesn't realize that understanding all of this early is essential for life planning and sometimes there are individual/unique scenerios between applicants which can't be answered easily by just their website. It has been a great stress so far because the baby wasn't planned, we're having a new house built and are moving to a new city all around the same time. So knowing these details soon is essential.

Colleen
Mar 22, 2016
1 posts
I have a quick question, and unfortunately i am not able to get through to Service Canadas helpline.

My brother was working full-time in Calgary while attaining his adult highschool diploma. He recently moved to NB since he got an opportunity to attend actual highschool instead of community adult diploma where lots of self study is required. His reason fpr moving was to complete highschool asap so he can excel in his field, but unfortunately he cannot find a single job in NB. Is he eligible to apply for EI in this case?
Mar 22, 2016
1 posts
Thanks for taking questions!

I have been on EI since last May and have been unsuccessful in my job search, as my EI deadline approaches I have been thinking of getting my own business started, but am unsure when/what I have to tell the government...

I would like to start the process of marketing, and purchasing the necessary tools and equipment to start my business, but would like to also claim that stuff once the business is running, its going to take a few months to get a client base and start selling product, what I am concerned about is telling the government I am going to try and start a business and get cut off from EI before I am able to start making an income.

Whats the right path to take here?

Thanks!
Dec 2, 2016
36 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Unemployment rate here is at 8.4%. It's still difficult to find a job. I'm at week 20 of 21 total weeks. When a check is done online, the maximum weeks allowable are 45 in this region, however they've given me the minimum. Is there a way to get a few weeks extension?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1783 posts
600 upvotes
MoYuhheard wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 6:20 pm
Unemployment rate here is at 8.4%. It's still difficult to find a job. I'm at week 20 of 21 total weeks. When a check is done online, the maximum weeks allowable are 45 in this region, however they've given me the minimum. Is there a way to get a few weeks extension?
No. The amount of weeks you're entitled to are calculated by the amount of hours you have when you apply. If you worked more hours you will have more weeks of entitlement.
Mar 23, 2016
1 posts
How exactly are hours calculated? Is it going back a calendar year, or is it 52 Sunday-Saturday calendar weeks? I started a job on April 7 of last year, which ended last summer. I accumulated 320 hours at that job. At that time I reactivate an old claim and was on EI until the 52 weeks from my original claim was up (February 20 of this year). I now have about 200 hours in at my new job, but my doctor wants me to apply for disability. I don't want to do that until I can accumulate the 600 hours I need for sickness benefits, and I'm afraid that I will go on sick leave too early and have too few hours to qualify if I don't do my calculations properly. I don't see on the old ROEs that I have how they know what hours are worked in which week.
Feb 11, 2008
3 posts
Thanks so much for taking questions.

I'm currently employed full time, and have been offered a short term (6 month) contract with a US company, during which time I would technically be a self-employed Canadian resident for tax purposes, but would have to quit my current full-time position. The position will likely lead to a longer contract or potentially full-time employment in the US, at which point my residency might change.

My question is, if for whatever reason my contract is not extended/renewed, would I be eligible for EI?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
gerfey wrote:
Mar 24th, 2016 12:21 pm
Thanks so much for taking questions.

I'm currently employed full time, and have been offered a short term (6 month) contract with a US company, during which time I would technically be a self-employed Canadian resident for tax purposes, but would have to quit my current full-time position. The position will likely lead to a longer contract or potentially full-time employment in the US, at which point my residency might change.

My question is, if for whatever reason my contract is not extended/renewed, would I be eligible for EI?
Very unlikely
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
Spudgirl wrote:
Mar 24th, 2016 8:54 am
How exactly are hours calculated? Is it going back a calendar year, or is it 52 Sunday-Saturday calendar weeks? I started a job on April 7 of last year, which ended last summer. I accumulated 320 hours at that job. At that time I reactivate an old claim and was on EI until the 52 weeks from my original claim was up (February 20 of this year). I now have about 200 hours in at my new job, but my doctor wants me to apply for disability. I don't want to do that until I can accumulate the 600 hours I need for sickness benefits, and I'm afraid that I will go on sick leave too early and have too few hours to qualify if I don't do my calculations properly. I don't see on the old ROEs that I have how they know what hours are worked in which week.
It's the 52 prior weeks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8298 posts
1389 upvotes
Edmonton
wise919 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:19 pm
Thanks for taking questions!

I have been on EI since last May and have been unsuccessful in my job search, as my EI deadline approaches I have been thinking of getting my own business started, but am unsure when/what I have to tell the government...

I would like to start the process of marketing, and purchasing the necessary tools and equipment to start my business, but would like to also claim that stuff once the business is running, its going to take a few months to get a client base and start selling product, what I am concerned about is telling the government I am going to try and start a business and get cut off from EI before I am able to start making an income.

Whats the right path to take here?

Thanks!
Once you're off EI it doesn't matter. If you're still on EI you need to declare you're involved in self employment activities. Your claim is then reviewed to determine if you're still eligible for benefits

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

MarinersFanatik