Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:30 pm
Jun 18, 2013
96 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
If an employer doesn't reply to EI's calls, does that mean the claim will be accepted? I claimed based on "constructive dismissal." i.e., I had major surgery, went on sick leave, and when I came back they offered me a position with a huge, unacceptable pay cut. But on my ROE it says i quit, which I never did, and I was in the process of asking for a site transfer before my emergency surgery.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8404 posts
1439 upvotes
Edmonton
leidend wrote:
Mar 26th, 2016 7:18 am
If an employer doesn't reply to EI's calls, does that mean the claim will be accepted? I claimed based on "constructive dismissal." i.e., I had major surgery, went on sick leave, and when I came back they offered me a position with a huge, unacceptable pay cut. But on my ROE it says i quit, which I never did, and I was in the process of asking for a site transfer before my emergency surgery.
No not necessarily. They'll also send letter(s)
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
leidend wrote:
Mar 26th, 2016 7:18 am
If the employer don't respond to the calls or the letter, the decision will be based on available information on file. Since the claimant supplies all the initial information, it is biased toward their favor. Of course, you are more likely to be approved when the employer doesn't provide any information.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Mar 25, 2016
2 posts
Hello, just a quick question that I can't info about. What happens if have to go on a trip outside of Canada for any reason while on EI?
Thank you
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1892 posts
664 upvotes
davinchito wrote:
Mar 26th, 2016 11:15 pm
Hello, just a quick question that I can't info about. What happens if have to go on a trip outside of Canada for any reason while on EI?
Thank you
You don't get paid while you're out of the country.
Mar 26, 2016
2 posts
Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered, but i couldn't find this information specifically. If one is paid severance, applies for EI and benefits are deferred until end of severance, does one still have to submit the bi weekly reports to EI?
IE - employment terminated, 6 months severance provided and benefits thus deferred for 6 months ish - during that first 6 months do I still have to submit the reports on availability to work etc etc etc? or does that only apply while one is actually RECEIVING benefits?
thanks!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
sevenn wrote:
Mar 27th, 2016 10:17 am
Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered, but i couldn't find this information specifically. If one is paid severance, applies for EI and benefits are deferred until end of severance, does one still have to submit the bi weekly reports to EI?
IE - employment terminated, 6 months severance provided and benefits thus deferred for 6 months ish - during that first 6 months do I still have to submit the reports on availability to work etc etc etc? or does that only apply while one is actually RECEIVING benefits?
thanks!
No you don't have to. When you stop filing the reports after 3 weeks, your claim become dormant. You simply have to reapply online to reactivate the claim when you are eligible to receive the benefits.
Mar 26, 2016
1 posts
I've a quick question re EI as I'm new to it. I was layoff and approved for EI: 40 weeks payments + benefit period end on 2107-Jan.

Now, I've an offer to work as a contract worker for 6 weeks. Will EI stop while I'm working? Will EI resume after the contract work ends? If so, will I still get the remaining weeks of EI up to 40 (the week I've been approved)? or only 34 weeks as the time of my contract work is deducted? What if I've another contract work and by the time when the benefit period ends (i.e. Jan 2017) I haven't received all approved 40 weeks of EI, will EI automatically extend so I can get all my 40 weeks of payment? Or the EI just stop on the benefit end time regardless?

Thanks in advance for helping me.
Jan 23, 2016
2 posts
NS
I bought some livestock back in the fall and will be selling some of them in a few weeks for profit. My involvement in raising them has been minor and not affecting my ability to find work elsewhere. How do I go about claiming this income while on EI? This little venture will bring me some income one or two weeks a year, not going to be a regular income by any means, will it have any impact on future EI claims?
Thanks.
Jan 18, 2013
8 posts
If I take a 2 day Standard First Aid course (my old course period has expired), which is usually required for the type of jobs I am applying for, will I lose EI for those 2 days if I take the course other than on a weekend? I am just planning on taking it without asking for permission first. Should I just avoid the complication and find a course offered on a weekend so I remain available Monday to Friday? Taking the course on weekdays wouldn't stop me from being available to start a new job as I could simply not show up for the course if I got an offer.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1892 posts
664 upvotes
funghui wrote:
Mar 27th, 2016 6:15 pm
I've a quick question re EI as I'm new to it. I was layoff and approved for EI: 40 weeks payments + benefit period end on 2107-Jan.

Now, I've an offer to work as a contract worker for 6 weeks. Will EI stop while I'm working? Will EI resume after the contract work ends? If so, will I still get the remaining weeks of EI up to 40 (the week I've been approved)? or only 34 weeks as the time of my contract work is deducted? What if I've another contract work and by the time when the benefit period ends (i.e. Jan 2017) I haven't received all approved 40 weeks of EI, will EI automatically extend so I can get all my 40 weeks of payment? Or the EI just stop on the benefit end time regardless?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

You're still entitled to collect your 49 weeks within the 52 week period your claim is allowed for. Just report your hours and earnings on your reports and if you earned enough money then you will not be paid for those weeks and they will be there when you complete your contract.

You only have 52 weeks to collect your 40 weeks of entitlement. If your contacts are long enough that you are unable to collect all 40 within the 52 weeks then you will lost whatever is left after you hit the 52 week mark.
Jul 5, 2006
19 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Ah, I just posted on my own thread, but moving the question here...

--------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My cousin is on 4-month contract through a reputable temp agency in an office job. The contract ends in mid April, and she would prefer to part company with them at that time (as they've been quite unpleasant to work for including telling her they are "very disappointed" in her performance).

Question : She would prefer to get an "A" code on her ROE Box 16 so she will be EI eligible (has other work prior to this banked). What she is afraid of is that they will offer an extension (there's actually some reason to believe this may actually happen). If offered an extension, but if she fulfills her 4 month obligation on her current contract, will she receive an "A" code, or will it be an "E" code (quit)? Also, any advice on how to have a better chance of success in getting an "A" code in this situation is fully welcome too.

Note - It's confusing because the government documentation call an "A" code as "Shortage Of Work", but the first example listed is "end of contract". The issue of an having "extension on the table" is not addressed.

Thx,
Wade.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
Foz682 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2016 6:37 pm
I bought some livestock back in the fall and will be selling some of them in a few weeks for profit. My involvement in raising them has been minor and not affecting my ability to find work elsewhere. How do I go about claiming this income while on EI? This little venture will bring me some income one or two weeks a year, not going to be a regular income by any means, will it have any impact on future EI claims?
Thanks.
It is not employment income; I wouldn't bother declaring it.
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
9531 posts
3209 upvotes
Calgary
Kuya101 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2016 3:59 am
If I take a 2 day Standard First Aid course (my old course period has expired), which is usually required for the type of jobs I am applying for, will I lose EI for those 2 days if I take the course other than on a weekend? I am just planning on taking it without asking for permission first. Should I just avoid the complication and find a course offered on a weekend so I remain available Monday to Friday? Taking the course on weekdays wouldn't stop me from being available to start a new job as I could simply not show up for the course if I got an offer.
Go ahead and take the course. Don't even bother report this.
Mar 28, 2016
1 posts
Hello I am trying to apply for maternity benefits for my wife and have a few questions that I am having trouble getting answers to. The call centre is flooded & the service centre had a very long wait. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So my wife's earnings have not been consistent from week to week and it requires a Variable Best weeks form. She gets paid biweekly and the small business she works for only records her pay & hours in a biweekly format. We can get the biweekly earnings but weekly is impossible to know now. How can we calculate? Divide by 2?

She also receives quarterly production bonuses, do we claim that in the week it was paid or is this supposed to averaged across the quarter?

thanks