Careers

EI (Employment Insurance) discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 9:29 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
JuliusJ22879 wrote: MSCA has no past claims.
THe claim for paternity leave was on RQAP website.

I am thouroughly confused here.
I it said that on MSCA that there is no benefits payable since I got QPIP from quebec for the 5 week period back in Oct/Nov, but my application that I filed was for February of this year.

I called and they said that there was a delay with the roe and that they used the previous one. now that they have the new ROE, will they use both to process the claim? I shouldn't be penalized for using 5 weeks of paternity leave.

Also, why are these two programs so connected? We pay EI premiums like everyone else but then we also pay RQAP payments on top of that. It's like double EI payments on every pay check.
If you have over 2000 hours in the last 52 weeks you should qualify. Maybe both ROEs aren't in the system so things aren't being calculated properly.
Quebec administers its own program for paternity etc benefits so you pay into it separately.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Are they adjusting the number of weeks of EI you will receive because of the coronavirus?
I can't imagine that it'll be easy to find work under these circumstances.

I am worried about money running out and having no income..
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Know someone searching for work since GM shut down in Oshawa Dec 31, 2019. At that time EI denied their claim as they didn't have enough hours in previous 52 weeks, they had finished school and Joined GM in 2019. When the hours required for EI eligibility change to reflect current employment rates can a person re-apply? Or does the new eligibility (dropping from 700 hours to about 400) not apply to someone denied before the requirement changed?
I don't want to bring this up to the person and get their hopes up if rules state eligibility hours changes don't apply to past denials....a job they were about to begin was cancelled really upsetting them.
Sep 26, 2008
343 posts
155 upvotes
Longueuil
JuliusJ22879 wrote: MSCA has no past claims.
THe claim for paternity leave was on RQAP website.

I am thouroughly confused here.
I it said that on MSCA that there is no benefits payable since I got QPIP from quebec for the 5 week period back in Oct/Nov, but my application that I filed was for February of this year.

I called and they said that there was a delay with the roe and that they used the previous one. now that they have the new ROE, will they use both to process the claim? I shouldn't be penalized for using 5 weeks of paternity leave.

Also, why are these two programs so connected? We pay EI premiums like everyone else but then we also pay RQAP payments on top of that. It's like double EI payments on every pay check.
I will try to explain my experience with this being in Quebec to maybe help you deal with Service Canada but good luck getting through during these times.

Even though when you took paternity in Oct with RQAP it also signals the start of your 52 weeks EI period with Service Canada because they sort of piggy back on the RQAP for information and budget splitting. Now this doesn't mean it's EI that pays you but they do use the time frame for potential future unemployment claims.

It might take Service Canada longer to sort through your situation as it took them 3 months for mine which was similar to yours because it seems they aren't 100% sure yet how to process when working with the Quebec parental plan.

They should consider it a re opening of claim going off your first ROE you used to file for paternity. So for them based on info you gave, your claim period would be from Oct 2019 to Oct 2020 with 2000 hrs they use the max of 1820hrs which would give you a maximum 36 week benefits if you are in Montreal region.

But I think they consider the 5 weeks of paternity you received as income. For me when I filed unemployment using a new ROE because my first ROE I used for paternity triggered Service Canada's countdown of 52 weeks, I didn't know so I never officially called in to stop my claim period with them when I came back from paternity. When I filed for unemployment later they went off the first ROE from paternity and thought I was trying to get benefits for my paternity leave which they denied because I had already been paid by RQAP. It was a confusing situation that took them longer than usual to sort out.

Hope this helps you a little.
Mar 19, 2020
3 posts
Hello. I have a bit of a situation that i would need an advice with - i have just started the 7th month of pregnancy and was laid off yesterday. What would be the best course of action for me? Should I start unemployment ei now and then switch to mat leave? Or hold off to see if they take me back in 6 weeks? If i start ei now how will that affect my maternity benefits (the duration/will it lower my max amount?) I cant get through service canada hotline (it says unable to take your call try again later) and the office in town has just closed indefiniteky. Thank you for your advice
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
TheImp wrote: Are they adjusting the number of weeks of EI you will receive because of the coronavirus?
I can't imagine that it'll be easy to find work under these circumstances.

I am worried about money running out and having no income..
They did it before in 2009 when they introduced long tenured worker status, but I can't say for certain at this point. Most of the "emergency measures" won't be in effect until next month
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Know someone searching for work since GM shut down in Oshawa Dec 31, 2019. At that time EI denied their claim as they didn't have enough hours in previous 52 weeks, they had finished school and Joined GM in 2019. When the hours required for EI eligibility change to reflect current employment rates can a person re-apply? Or does the new eligibility (dropping from 700 hours to about 400) not apply to someone denied before the requirement changed?
I don't want to bring this up to the person and get their hopes up if rules state eligibility hours changes don't apply to past denials....a job they were about to begin was cancelled really upsetting them.
There's an automated program that actually looks for scenarios like this (I can't think off the top of my head how often the program checks for claims like this). If the employment rate dropped that much in the region I'd get ahead of things and apply again
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Zuzana88 wrote: Hello. I have a bit of a situation that i would need an advice with - i have just started the 7th month of pregnancy and was laid off yesterday. What would be the best course of action for me? Should I start unemployment ei now and then switch to mat leave? Or hold off to see if they take me back in 6 weeks? If i start ei now how will that affect my maternity benefits (the duration/will it lower my max amount?) I cant get through service canada hotline (it says unable to take your call try again later) and the office in town has just closed indefiniteky. Thank you for your advice
The best course of action would be to get a medical note saying you're not able to work. This will allow you to go on sick leave for up to 15 weeks, then maternity for 15 and then parental for 35.
If you collect regular EI first and then switch over to maternity/parental, you'll be capped at 50 weeks.
If you can't get a medical note then it's up to you.
Your benefit rate doesn't change between varying types of benefits.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
How do EI sickness benefits work?
Are they in addition to the regular benefits in terms of the number of weeks you get?
This space for rent.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
TheImp wrote: How do EI sickness benefits work?
Are they in addition to the regular benefits in terms of the number of weeks you get?
Sick benefits are under the umbrella of EI benefits. It's 1 of the types of benefits you can get. You can get up to 15 weeks of sick with proper medical documentation. Your regular entitlement is separate from this and will vary in terms of weeks you can collect - determined by the amount of hours you worked in the last year. If you collect sick and regular within the same claim you are capped at 50 weeks
Mar 19, 2020
1 posts
Hi I’m on regular e.i. Benefits which will run out in three weeks
The doctor said quarantine myself because I have been sick for awhile and still am
Would I apply for sick. Benefits? For two weeks then go back to regular benefits?
Both of the changes would need to be applied for?
Thanks
Also if my work is not starting back up end of April or beginning of May then I wonder if I can apply for emergency benefits because my regular ei benefits would be run out by then?
Thanks
Phone lines are crazy for call center right now
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
So.. I've been on hold for nearly 2.5 HOURS.
Is anyone going to pick up? Or have they gone home for the day?
I'm beginning to wonder if they've gone home, and my call won't be answered (despite what the bloody annoying automated message says over and over and over and over..)
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
CorrineM12726 wrote: Hi I’m on regular e.i. Benefits which will run out in three weeks
The doctor said quarantine myself because I have been sick for awhile and still am
Would I apply for sick. Benefits? For two weeks then go back to regular benefits?
Thanks
Also if my work is not starting back up end of April or beginning of May then I wonder if I can apply for emergency benefits because my regular ei benefits would be run out by then?
Thanks
I'm still on hold. Let me know if you get through...
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Over 4 hours now.
I'm really wondering if anyone is still there..
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I give up. Over 5 hours on hold. I’m done.
This space for rent.
Sep 5, 2017
180 posts
58 upvotes
halifax
I and my wife both had worked at same restaurant for year so far
but the restaurant was closed 3days ago as employer had decided to be safe their self and us too from corona virus

should I apply regular benefit or sickness benefit ? ?

Thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Sounghoe wrote: I and my wife both had worked at same restaurant for year so far
but the restaurant was closed 3days ago as employer had decided to be safe their self and us too from corona virus

should I apply regular benefit or sickness benefit ? ?

Thanks
Regular benefits, it doesn't sound like you're sick or quarantined
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
CorrineM12726 wrote: Hi I’m on regular e.i. Benefits which will run out in three weeks
Thanks
Thanks
Do your reports like normal except declare you're not available for work due to illness/injury. You'll be paid sick benefits instead. If it continues for longer than 4 weeks, call in to formally convert your claim to a sick claim. You'll need medical documentation at that point, but hopefully that isn't a bridge you need to cross.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
TheImp wrote: Over 4 hours now.
I'm really wondering if anyone is still there..

500,000 applications were received in a period where 27,000 were received last year.

That’s almost 20 times the amount of claims. They do not have 20x the staff, in fact, noting this situation they would have less workers.

Every Government entity that’s running right now is stretched to the max. I know it sucks but there are a lot of people in the same boat as you.

You’ll get through at some point, hopefully. However, please don’t take out your anger on the individual you deal with.

They’re ‘risking their life’ to have to go in to work everyday to answer your call.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)